Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Restructuring English Football 11:18 - Apr 21 with 3945 viewsBAWHoops

Was reading this piece on BBC where Fleetwood chairman has spoken about regionalising Leagues.
I think it's a great idea and a genuinely sensible one

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52363030

You could have 4 drop down from the Championship each season with 2 up from both regional lower league.
You'd have a few funny splits and potentially have to move teams between leagues every once in a while (hello Burton, Walsall etc).

They divide pretty well at the moment to be honest and you could have

League 1 South
Cambridge, Cheltenham, Colchetser, Crawley, Exeter, Forest Green, Leyton Orient, Northampton, Plymouth, Stevenage, Swindon, AFC Wimbledon, Bristol Rovers, Coventry, Gillingham, Ipswich, MK Dons, Oxford Utd, Peterborough, Portsmouth, Southend, Wycombe, Walsall

League 1 North
Bradford, Carslile, Crewe, Grimsby, Macclesfield, Mansfield, Morcambe, Newport, Oldham, Port Vale, Salford, Scunthorpe, Sunderland, Accrington Stanley, Blackpool, Bolton, Burton, Doncaster, Fleetwood, Lincoln, Rochdale, Rotherham, Shrewsbury, Tranmere

Both leagues could have 2 going down with 4 coming up from National League (or keep it that 1 drops from each league and 2 come up from National League as it is now)

What do people think?

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Restructuring English Football on 11:33 - Apr 21 with 3263 viewsBucksRanger

Excellent idea. This is what they had in the lower leagues until around 1958. It worked well then, saving on fuel costs when fuel was scarce in the country after the war. I think it would work well again providing the country can reduce the impact of Covid-19.
Restructuring English Football on 11:55 - Apr 21 with 3218 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

It would mean a opportunity to get into the top league and top money quicker for everyone.

I think it is a great idea.
Restructuring English Football on 12:39 - Apr 21 with 3162 viewsdaveB

Makes a lot of sense so doubt it will happen, main issue would be what happens to the Championship sides who go down if you say have 4 Southern teams go down
Restructuring English Football on 12:43 - Apr 21 with 3156 viewsloftboy

Restructuring English Football on 12:39 - Apr 21 by daveB

Makes a lot of sense so doubt it will happen, main issue would be what happens to the Championship sides who go down if you say have 4 Southern teams go down

You will always get the odd occasion where this happens, national league north and south regularly has a mis-placed team in them.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Restructuring English Football on 13:06 - Apr 21 with 3131 viewsBAWHoops

Essentially Midlands teams like Coventry, Burton, Walsall would be able to be moved around between the leagues which, whilst not ideal, would give the fans something new to enjoy each season

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Restructuring English Football on 13:21 - Apr 21 with 3112 viewsdaveB

Restructuring English Football on 12:43 - Apr 21 by loftboy

You will always get the odd occasion where this happens, national league north and south regularly has a mis-placed team in them.

so the Midlands teams would basically switch between the 2 depending on numbers?
Restructuring English Football on 13:30 - Apr 21 with 3097 viewseghamranger

Is a great idea.
Fleetwood have a great set up there and it’s a shame that the fish industry isn’t making money up there anymore.
Would be great for the fans too as I can never see the appeal of seeing Carlisle fans going to Exeter and vice versa
Restructuring English Football on 13:32 - Apr 21 with 3091 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

It would re configure so the most Southern 50% play the most Northern 50% I imagine.

This system already happens in the National Leagues where I believe teams like Telford get swapped from one division to the other quite regularly.
Login to get fewer ads

Restructuring English Football on 13:39 - Apr 21 with 3067 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Restructuring English Football on 13:06 - Apr 21 by BAWHoops

Essentially Midlands teams like Coventry, Burton, Walsall would be able to be moved around between the leagues which, whilst not ideal, would give the fans something new to enjoy each season

F..k ‘em, I say the knew the risks!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Restructuring English Football on 13:45 - Apr 21 with 3050 viewsdaveB

Restructuring English Football on 13:32 - Apr 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

It would re configure so the most Southern 50% play the most Northern 50% I imagine.

This system already happens in the National Leagues where I believe teams like Telford get swapped from one division to the other quite regularly.

i'm all for it, sounds a good idea.

For any older fans on here, why did it change from regional in the 50's to what we have now?
Restructuring English Football on 13:49 - Apr 21 with 3035 viewsplasmahoop

I think it's a good idea, but it does offer the opportunity of dropping out from the league faster than at present. In the 50s they used to have re election if you came in the bottom two. Would the league one teams be up for this risk, or even championship clubs
Restructuring English Football on 14:24 - Apr 21 with 2997 viewsRangersDave

none of this will work while there are the 'have's' and the 'have nots' money wise.

Until the money is filtered down to give the lowest a chance its all moot.

the bottom should get the most money, up to the top of the prem getting the lowest.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Restructuring English Football on 15:11 - Apr 21 with 2967 viewsslmrstid

I would broadly be in favour of something like this, England are the only country to have 5 separate national league levels before you get into regionalised leagues.

The only thing to consider, is the Conference (or National League or whatever it calls itself now) would have to re-regionalise itself too.

You couldn't have a League 1 North/South, then teams getting relegated from that go straight back into a nationalised league, would be a bit weird.

But the National League has 3 leagues in total (Premier then North/South) comprising 68 clubs or so, so that could easily move itself into 3 regional leagues (North/Central/South) then beneath that you have the traditional regional leagues of Northern/Southern/Isthmian.

Makes eminent sense, whether it would ever happen as a result...questionable.

Mind you its not just us, the Scots should re-arrange their leagues, a Premier League of 12 and 3 divisions of 10 with everyone playing each other millions of times a season, and more or less a closed shop to the regional leagues (except when their basement teams are so bad they get wallopped by regionals in their weird play-off system and replaced) is bonkers. Also boring. Obviously the Prem teams all have vested interests as they want as many home games with Celtic and Rangers as possible for money reasons, but for the average fan how many times can you see Clyde v Ayr or something in a season before just being bored silly?
Restructuring English Football on 15:35 - Apr 21 with 2945 viewsterryb

Of course they should be regionalised, but it is the clubs who didn't want it!

I think it was only the last decade when the latest vote was taken!

The same applies to the National league!

To allow for Bury to be replaced, Newport would move to the south with Barrow (top of National League) being in the north. Especially as Newport is further south than Watford & over half the teams named in the south division!

I really do hope that Barrow return to the EFL. I've had a soft spot for them since the early '60's & it was a travesty when they were voted out of the league.
Restructuring English Football on 15:47 - Apr 21 with 2928 viewsToast_R

I brought this very idea up a few months back, this was before the Fleetwood arse got involved so all royalties to my idea please.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/queensparkrangers/forum/254076/just-an-ide
Restructuring English Football on 16:31 - Apr 21 with 2882 viewsstowmarketrange

Some of the journeys east to west and vice Versa are longer than the journeys north to south are now.
Teams like Plymouth and Exeter are a long way away from Peterborough and Ipswich.
But the idea has potential.Its just a shame that the price of diesel has dropped so much that long distance travel would cost so much less at the moment.
Restructuring English Football on 17:46 - Apr 21 with 2835 viewsTGRRRSSS

Not sure myself - but the odd journey in itself - Ipswich to Exeter being little less than Ipswich to Newcastle would I guess be an unfortunate anomaly - I cant see it happening though.

Assuming we ever get football going in this way again...

I think we will BUT nothing can truly be assumed at the moment.
Restructuring English Football on 18:06 - Apr 21 with 2803 viewsWatford_Ranger

I covered this in my dissertation (amongst other things) not that I remember much of it.

A bit of fancy maths I wouldn’t have a hope of remembering how to do now but the gist really was no different to what most football fans could have told you. It’s great if you’re Plymouth or Middlesbrough but crap if you’re Birmingham. I think at the time, MK Franchise were in the middle listing the clubs north to south but whoever it is, you’re going to be shifting teams between leagues every year. The net benefit in terms of reduced mileage isn’t as great as you might think.

Also the north and south will be by no means equal in quality. You’d effectively have a team with Sunderland’s resources playing Morecambe. Ipswich v Crawley etc. (Actually Ipswich are crap so not a great example) so the ‘product’ on offer is poorer. Sunderland v Barrow next year sounds like fun admittedly.

And a smaller point, it’s a bit harsh on those fans who live at the wrong end of the country but can enjoy a few local away games a season.
Restructuring English Football on 13:11 - Apr 22 with 2658 viewsToast_R

I think it would make perfect sense. The world has changed and we are going to be paying for this crisis for years now with recession and loss of jobs. Anything that makes life cheaper and have less impact on the environment can only be a massive positive.

Sign us up.
Restructuring English Football on 14:06 - Apr 22 with 2611 viewsClive_Anderson

I must be the only one who thinks this is a bad idea. We have some of the highest attendances for lower divisions in the world in part thanks to nationalisation of the lower leagues.

Other countries like Germany have recently copied the national format and it has boosted their lower leagues a lot too.

Fuel is a small cost for a football club these days I imagine.
Restructuring English Football on 14:17 - Apr 22 with 2605 viewsTheChef

Restructuring English Football on 14:06 - Apr 22 by Clive_Anderson

I must be the only one who thinks this is a bad idea. We have some of the highest attendances for lower divisions in the world in part thanks to nationalisation of the lower leagues.

Other countries like Germany have recently copied the national format and it has boosted their lower leagues a lot too.

Fuel is a small cost for a football club these days I imagine.

Especially given oil's current negative value!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Restructuring English Football on 15:08 - Apr 22 with 2561 viewsWatfordR

Probably worth waiting to see if there's enough clubs left after all this to have two lower divisions.
Restructuring English Football on 15:21 - Apr 22 with 2547 viewsfrancisbowles

As this virus could be around for a long time to come and one way of avoiding it spreading is to minimise travel. I would temporarily merge the Prem and the Championship as well and split them north and south. There could be playoffs for final positions at the end of a season and if it is to be behind closed doors, it spreads the interest and the TV money over more clubs.

Some of that money might have a chance of feeding further down as well as the fear of relegation would be greater if four went down to a lower level than the current Championship. Clubs might be minded to vote for that on the basis of they might benefit if they have a poor season.
Restructuring English Football on 17:38 - Apr 22 with 2478 viewsTGRRRSSS

Well you've no chance of that FarncisBowles.

Sky/BT ain't gonna sacrifice all those "Big Sooper duper Liverpool V Chelsea/Tottenham etc

So they can instead feature Brentford v Arsenal and Liverpool V Hull and Man United v Barnsley.

AS for the PLymouths and Newcastle's and so on... well it's mostly a lot of journeying whatever you do, sometimes a further journey might be easier.
I imagine the Ipswich/Newcastle/Exeter thing is interesting by Road it might be quicker going to Toon and back rather than down the M4/M25 to Devon.
Restructuring English Football on 09:54 - Apr 23 with 2392 viewsterryb

Restructuring English Football on 17:38 - Apr 22 by TGRRRSSS

Well you've no chance of that FarncisBowles.

Sky/BT ain't gonna sacrifice all those "Big Sooper duper Liverpool V Chelsea/Tottenham etc

So they can instead feature Brentford v Arsenal and Liverpool V Hull and Man United v Barnsley.

AS for the PLymouths and Newcastle's and so on... well it's mostly a lot of journeying whatever you do, sometimes a further journey might be easier.
I imagine the Ipswich/Newcastle/Exeter thing is interesting by Road it might be quicker going to Toon and back rather than down the M4/M25 to Devon.

Living in Ipswich, I can definitely say that a trip to Newcastle or even Blackpool is quicker than to Plymouth! I base Blackpool on that I used to reach Lancaster in 4 1/2 hours (on a bad day) when my son was at uni there.

Mind you, I would think that Plymouth to Carlisle or Sunderland takes longer!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024