Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sandwiches 08:05 - Nov 12 with 3757 viewsPhildo

Been making my own daily since lockdown 1 and saved a fortune. But which is best? At the moment I am favouring corned beef in crusty white bread doorsteps- but that had been a favourite since about 1976. What is the LFW sandwich of choice?
Sandwiches on 08:10 - Nov 12 with 2721 viewsdistortR

decades of manual work and financial problems meaning decades of home-made sandwiches means that 'I'M BORED OF BREAD'.

But................cheese and pickle. Cheddar, and strong. Branstons, with chunks.
Sandwiches on 08:17 - Nov 12 with 2695 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Ham with English mustard and cucumber.

Or stong sheddar and onion.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Sandwiches on 08:19 - Nov 12 with 2689 viewsdannyblue

Best sandwich I ever had was in Florence.

Pecorino
Freshly cooked and carved roast pork and rosemary
Garlic and truffle sauce

Bread was this thing called schiacciata, fresh out of the oven. But like a thinner focaccia.

There were 100m queues for this sandwich shop. Cost about €5 plus €1 for a tumbler of wine.
Sandwiches on 08:40 - Nov 12 with 2639 views2Thomas2Bowles

Most things with Branston small (not chicken)

Peanut butter Crunchy
Ham with dijon mustard
Chicken salad with mayo

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Sandwiches on 09:10 - Nov 12 with 2573 viewspeterlund_dk

Boiled egg, canned tuna, shrimp, lettuce, mayo.
Sandwiches on 09:37 - Nov 12 with 2528 viewsEsox_Lucius

Mashed banana with crunchy peanut butter in brown wholemeal bread.

The grass is always greener.

Sandwiches on 10:09 - Nov 12 with 2481 viewsRBlock

Sandwiches on 08:19 - Nov 12 by dannyblue

Best sandwich I ever had was in Florence.

Pecorino
Freshly cooked and carved roast pork and rosemary
Garlic and truffle sauce

Bread was this thing called schiacciata, fresh out of the oven. But like a thinner focaccia.

There were 100m queues for this sandwich shop. Cost about €5 plus €1 for a tumbler of wine.

That sounds incredible.

I had an amazing roast pork sandwich in Porto last summer. Shredded juicy roast pork in a basic crusty white roll, topped with a gooey soft sheeps cheese and a ladle of pork juices. Unbelieveble. Went to return the next day, to find they'd closed for a long weekend.

Aside from that, I love a roast beef sandwich on a Monday. Pink thinly sliced beef, heavily salted and lathered in English mustard.
Sandwiches on 10:13 - Nov 12 with 2470 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Sandwiches on 10:09 - Nov 12 by RBlock

That sounds incredible.

I had an amazing roast pork sandwich in Porto last summer. Shredded juicy roast pork in a basic crusty white roll, topped with a gooey soft sheeps cheese and a ladle of pork juices. Unbelieveble. Went to return the next day, to find they'd closed for a long weekend.

Aside from that, I love a roast beef sandwich on a Monday. Pink thinly sliced beef, heavily salted and lathered in English mustard.

It’s called a Francesinha.

It is a Porto speciality and gorgeous. Had a Pizza version in the Azores too.
Login to get fewer ads

Sandwiches on 10:20 - Nov 12 with 2456 viewsrobith

Sandwiches on 10:13 - Nov 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

It’s called a Francesinha.

It is a Porto speciality and gorgeous. Had a Pizza version in the Azores too.

Sorry Bazz, but it isn't. I've been to Porto loads due to Primavera.

What the other poster was describing was a bifana (best one from Conga or Casa Guedes who do it with soft cheese)

vs a Francesinha (from Cafe Santiago, the best place)

[Post edited 12 Nov 2020 10:21]
Sandwiches on 10:24 - Nov 12 with 2440 viewsrobith

Speaking of Porto which is the best place for sandwiches, Venham Mais Cinco (bring 5 more)'s house special blue steak with soft cheese. My word

Added bonus that it was the hangout of the protestors who overthrew Salazar's fascist regime

Was in Philly about ten year ago - had a hoagie in Reading Terminal Market and a cheesetseak from Jim's STeaks. Very hard to beat
[Post edited 12 Nov 2020 10:25]
Sandwiches on 10:27 - Nov 12 with 2430 viewsLongsufferingR

Chicken, crispy bacon and avocado mixed with mayonnaise.
Sandwiches on 10:29 - Nov 12 with 2425 viewsQPR_John

Cheese and onion
Sandwiches on 10:31 - Nov 12 with 2424 viewsted_hendrix

Bread--bread is key, where we used to stay in Umbria there was a bakers at the bottom of the valley and you could smell the fresh bread every morning, if that smell didn't make you hungry and wanting to go and buy a loaf (which we often did) then you had something wrong with your snout.

Just walking into the bakers where they are baking 'on site' and hitting that special baking smell? (C'mon FFS).

Italian ham and Italian fresh bread, strewth what more can a Man (or Woman) want?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Sandwiches on 10:35 - Nov 12 with 2408 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Sandwiches on 10:20 - Nov 12 by robith

What the other poster was describing was a bifana (best one from Conga or Casa Guedes who do it with soft cheese)

I stand corrected!

I have also eaten a Bifana. Both amazing.

Special mention for the Prego(?) Roll too! Literally just a beef and garlic sandwich but tastes amazing.

[Post edited 12 Nov 2020 10:47]
Sandwiches on 10:55 - Nov 12 with 2356 viewsBoston

Salad.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Sandwiches on 10:56 - Nov 12 with 2354 viewsRBlock

Sorry Bazz, but Robith has hit the nail on the head! It was a bifana, from Casa Guedes in fact!

I tried a Francesinha but found the whole thing a bit too stodgy and artery-hardening to be honest.
Sandwiches on 11:31 - Nov 12 with 2284 viewsChrisNW6

Me and my mates still talk about the Pork, Apple Sauce and Crackling Barm Cake we had from the local bakers in 2007 at Hillsborough. It was sensational and the match wasn't too shabby either.
Sandwiches on 11:37 - Nov 12 with 2272 viewsKonk

Sandwiches on 11:31 - Nov 12 by ChrisNW6

Me and my mates still talk about the Pork, Apple Sauce and Crackling Barm Cake we had from the local bakers in 2007 at Hillsborough. It was sensational and the match wasn't too shabby either.

There's a place round the corner from the City Ground that does amazing pork baps. My Forest mate took me to it one year before a midweeker and I ended-up having about four of them for my tea. I don't eat meat anymore, but this thread is really, really making me want a sausage bap from the Butchers at Leadenhall.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Sandwiches on 11:58 - Nov 12 with 2221 viewsJuzzie

corned beef
dash of Branston pickle
honey roasted ham
tomato
cucumber
cheese

Known by my 6 year old as the 'full monty'
Sandwiches on 12:03 - Nov 12 with 2205 viewsMick_S

Two slices of bread (no 5hit) One with English mustard, the other with HP. Sausage, onion and tomato.

Second one is crunchy peanut butter and proper wobbly jelly.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Sandwiches on 12:08 - Nov 12 with 2189 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Sandwiches on 12:03 - Nov 12 by Mick_S

Two slices of bread (no 5hit) One with English mustard, the other with HP. Sausage, onion and tomato.

Second one is crunchy peanut butter and proper wobbly jelly.

No shit is a wise choice, would ruin most sandwiches.
Sandwiches on 12:09 - Nov 12 with 2185 views1MoreBrightonR

Good crusty bread (sourdough usually), chorizo, tomato, lettuce, cucumber, mayonaise and a little West indian hot pepper sauce or some kind of spiced chutney. and melted cheddar if you want to go all out.
Sandwiches on 12:24 - Nov 12 with 2150 viewsHantsR

Whatever the sandwich it's good to add some crisps to give a nice light, crunchy interest.

I do like a NY Deli sandwich or similar. We cook our own bread and use the usual pastrami, emmenthal and thinly sliced gherkins with salad, relish, mayo, whatever.
Sandwiches on 12:29 - Nov 12 with 2139 viewsBlackCrowe

Sliced egg, salt and pepper, cucumber, tomato, avocado, fresh bread. And a bag a ready salted Hula Hoops.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Sandwiches on 12:31 - Nov 12 with 2130 viewsMrSheen

Calories in the second one, to the nearest 1,000? (Sorry, on a diet, having to log everything I eat.)

I once went to a Serie C1 game at a place called Montevarchi in Tuscany. It was the town festival that weekend, so i was able to pick up an enormous porky roll in the park on the way to the ground. Much more memorable than the game. The other great thing from that day was the senior police officer in charge of containing 50 away fans wore an immaculate blazer, shirt & tie and flannels, topped off with a huge black Darth Vader riot helmet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024