Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ilias Chair till 2025! 14:01 - Jan 29 with 10116 viewskarl

Bloody hell, that's a 4yr contract and a half!
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 21:59 - Jan 29 with 2197 views18StoneOfHoop

'Smug' and 'superior' doesn't begin to cover it.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 22:00 - Jan 29 with 2196 viewsblacky2013

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 20:26 - Jan 29 by stainrods_elbow

Regular readers won't be too shocked, I trust, if I sound a countervailingly funereral tone. Leaving aside his crap corners and free kicks, Ilias is a gifted prospect, an emerging talent, and exactly the kind of young player I would dearly love to stay as long as possible at our football club. But why people think his new contract signals some kind of heartfelt mutual commitment of player and club is truly mystifying. 'Naive' and 'romantic' doesn't begin to cover it - so much so that I wonder if it's more a case of wilful delusion on the part of those who are stringing up the blue and white bunting.

May I ask our hooped church to cast their minds back not very far to the situation of Luke Freeman (see link below for those whose memory fails like mine). Lukey signed up for another three years with smiles on his and Evil Les's faces so broad they could break a widescreen. As it turned out, however, a mere seven months later, who'd have thunk it but he was offski to Northern megastylists Sheffield United - by my maths, two years ahead of schedule - to make a distressing total of 11 appearances for them in the thick end of a year. If the contract meant anything more than jackshit, he'd actually still be with us now.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/luke-freeman-signs-new-qpr-contract/

All of which means, to repeat, I like Ilias a lot, would love him to be part of QPR's upward mobility and burgeoning reputation for footballing style, but if he's still at QPR in 2025, I'll eat my house. It doesn't really matter what Warburton wants, or even the player - in the end, our CEO, board and people who mistreat football purely as a business will carry the day. Whether we're promoted or not, if he continues to improve, I'd put money on him quite likely following Eze out the door a year or so, not impossibly to Palace. (It may well, as I suspect it probably was with Freeman, already have been arranged.) The thing is, speaking as a fan, I for one don't like to be taken for a mug.

For those who may kindly not yet have blocked me, I leave you to chew on some salutary words from Mr Jim Gregory RIP, speaking to us from another age in a reposted article on Independent Rs from 1968:

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2016/02/portrait-of-a-chairman-jim-gregory-the-millionai

"I hear people say that football is a business”, he says. “It’s not. A business is something in which a man makes an investment and does his best to ensure that the company is well run in order to collect a profit on their investment.

“There’s no profit in football. People like me who put money into a club are pleased and surprised if they get their money back. Imagine a businessman spending £100,000 on a centre-forward, knowing he could break his leg and finish his career inside two minutes. He’d be mad!

“Yet football clubs must be run on business lines, and that means they must be run by businessmen. They’re the people able to finance vital investments; they’re the ones who know who to contact when money is needed for ground improvements or new players; they’re the ones who bear the loss when things don’t work out.

“So they have to walk this unenviable tightrope whereby they use their business training for the good of the club but suppress their natural business instincts when it comes to making a profit.”

Like any successful businessman, FFP or no FFP, JG understood one had to speculate to accumulate, hold onto talent, and that football can't just be a business, as it's about building spirit, togetherness, footballing aesthetics and a unity of style.

How I wish the dead could return!
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 20:31]

I think the rose tinted spectacles are on regarding JG. I seem to remember him selling a player for profit every couple of years and replacing them from down the leagues. I don't see us doing anything different now to what JG is saying there. We want the club to be run properly as a business so we don't have to rely on rich owners having to put money in to keep the club afloat. We are in an early stage of this. Once we get better we will be in a position where players want to stay and we will be able to attract the better younger players to the club knowing that it will be a good place for them to develop. It's taken Brentford years to get to this point but they are seeing the benefits now.
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 22:11 - Jan 29 with 2169 viewsnix

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 21:38 - Jan 29 by dm97

He could have easily rejected a contract, kicked up a fuss in the summer about career progression and got a cheap move to another championship club, as our position de-escalated ala Manning & Bright (with our desperation to sell being palpable). Loyalty in football doesn't mean a Giggs-esque career at one club, but appreciating the financial benefits that signing a deal could have for your employers. That deserves our appreciation!

This totally.

We want everyone to be happy: the player, who got the deal and felt appreciated by the club; the club, whose investment and development in the player were recognised and who gained financially; and the fans who enjoyed seeing the player improve and who don't feel shafted at the end of it.

In business you want a win-win so that everyone wants to continue to do deals going forward.
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 22:34 - Jan 29 with 2115 viewsMyke

Regular readers won't be too shocked, I trust, if I sound a countervailingly funereral tone. Leaving aside his crap corners and free kicks, Ilias is a gifted prospect, an emerging talent, and exactly the kind of young player I would dearly love to stay as long as possible at our football club. But why people think his new contract signals some kind of heartfelt mutual commitment of player and club is truly mystifying. 'Naive' and 'romantic' doesn't begin to cover it - so much so that I wonder if it's more a case of wilful delusion on the part of those who are stringing up the blue and white bunting.

May I ask our hooped church to cast their minds back not very far to the situation of Luke Freeman (see link below for those whose memory fails like mine). Lukey signed up for another three years with smiles on his and Evil Les's faces so broad they could break a widescreen. As it turned out, however, a mere seven months later, who'd have thunk it but he was offski to Northern megastylists Sheffield United - by my maths, two years ahead of schedule - to make a distressing total of 11 appearances for them in the thick end of a year. If the contract meant anything more than jackshit, he'd actually still be with us now.

All of which means, to repeat, I like Ilias a lot, would love him to be part of QPR's upward mobility and burgeoning reputation for footballing style, but if he's still at QPR in 2025, I'll eat my house. It doesn't really matter what Warburton wants, or even the player - in the end, our CEO, board and people who mistreat football purely as a business will carry the day. Whether we're promoted or not, if he continues to improve, I'd put money on him quite likely following Eze out the door a year or so, not impossibly to Palace. (It may well, as I suspect it probably was with Freeman, already have been arranged.) The thing is, speaking as a fan, I for one don't like to be taken for a mug.

For those who may kindly not yet have blocked me, I leave you to chew on some salutary words from Mr Jim Gregory RIP, speaking to us from another age in a reposted article on Independent Rs from 1968:

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2016/02/portrait-of-a-chairman-jim-gregory-the-millionai

"I hear people say that football is a business”, he says. “It’s not. A business is something in which a man makes an investment and does his best to ensure that the company is well run in order to collect a profit on their investment.

“There’s no profit in football. People like me who put money into a club are pleased and surprised if they get their money back. Imagine a businessman spending £100,000 on a centre-forward, knowing he could break his leg and finish his career inside two minutes. He’d be mad!

“Yet football clubs must be run on business lines, and that means they must be run by businessmen. They’re the people able to finance vital investments; they’re the ones who know who to contact when money is needed for ground improvements or new players; they’re the ones who bear the loss when things don’t work out.

“So they have to walk this unenviable tightrope whereby they use their business training for the good of the club but suppress their natural business instincts when it comes to making a profit.”

Like any successful businessman, FFP or no FFP, JG understood one had to speculate to accumulate, hold onto talent, and that football can't just be a business, as it's about building spirit, togetherness, footballing aesthetics and a unity of style.

Of course he wont be here. Very possibly next season, but, that is the whole point of the 'buy low sell high project'. It's not to keep him, it's to protect our investment Now we can sell him when the time is right for him and us, for a substantial profit. The we re-invest. Wash rinse repeat
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 23:02 - Jan 29 with 2066 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 22:00 - Jan 29 by blacky2013

I think the rose tinted spectacles are on regarding JG. I seem to remember him selling a player for profit every couple of years and replacing them from down the leagues. I don't see us doing anything different now to what JG is saying there. We want the club to be run properly as a business so we don't have to rely on rich owners having to put money in to keep the club afloat. We are in an early stage of this. Once we get better we will be in a position where players want to stay and we will be able to attract the better younger players to the club knowing that it will be a good place for them to develop. It's taken Brentford years to get to this point but they are seeing the benefits now.

I seem to remember him selling a player for profit every couple of years

A certain Mr R Marsh flogged off to Man City (and us getting relegated) rings a bell.
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 00:16 - Jan 30 with 1986 viewstimcocking

Nice Ilias, well done my lad.
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 02:20 - Jan 30 with 1954 viewsSydneyRs

Probably do his ACL now. The QPR curse!
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 07:24 - Jan 30 with 1873 viewsQPROslo

Yes, but we did get some money back for Freeman because of his contract. For BOS who was soon out of contract, we got peanuts it seems. Chair signing this long deal means that if he does improve further, we have a better chance of getting good money for him. Of course I wish we could have managed the same with BOS as however likeable he is, or is not, I reckon he has a higher potential ceiling than Chair, but it's not going to work out how we want it every time, when players can do what BOS did. Chair signing up like this minimises the risk of him going for a song, and both he and the Club can do well from it, if he improves.
Login to get fewer ads

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 08:08 - Jan 30 with 1842 viewsDWQPR

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 23:02 - Jan 29 by CiderwithRsie

I seem to remember him selling a player for profit every couple of years

A certain Mr R Marsh flogged off to Man City (and us getting relegated) rings a bell.

More like he flogged a certain Mr Marsh for £200k who in effect stopped performing for us to get his move to Man City and then in the months that followed replaced him with Givens (£40k), Bowles (£110k) and then when Martyn Busby got brutally assaulted by Colin West at Fulham paid an astonishing £165k to fellow Division Two rivals Burnley for Dave Thomas. Gregory was very shrewd.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 08:48 - Jan 30 with 1809 viewsnix

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 08:08 - Jan 30 by DWQPR

More like he flogged a certain Mr Marsh for £200k who in effect stopped performing for us to get his move to Man City and then in the months that followed replaced him with Givens (£40k), Bowles (£110k) and then when Martyn Busby got brutally assaulted by Colin West at Fulham paid an astonishing £165k to fellow Division Two rivals Burnley for Dave Thomas. Gregory was very shrewd.

I think it was a bit easier in those days though to pick up unpolished diamonds but interesting that Marsh also stopped performing to get a move. It goes to show even the bigger clubs, eg Ozil at Arsenal, Bale at Real Madrid, Tevez at Man City can be held over a barrel if the player is bloody minded enough to sit it out on the bench.

These days when you have Chelsea's training ground set up with a pitch to mirror each Premiership ground so they can practise authentically before each match (true). Where they, and Man City, and Utd and other clubs hoover up all the best young talent, just in case, on an industrial scale and have a business model to loan out their players to Championship or foreign clubs to make money, not to develop them. Where all three of our nearest rivals have been in the game of developing players longer than us (at least this time round) so probably have a better system of identification of young talent. It's that much harder to pick up decent players for a song.

We're having to build a reputation and links with agents and clubs as somewhere it's worth young players to come to. We're having to find players who have something no one else has spotted. We're having to risk them in the first team when much of our fan base are not bought into the new realities and expect all our new players to hit the ground running. All this despite the ones we are getting never having played at this level/not had much experience of adult football/had some flaw that needs to be sorted out.

If you look at most teams transfer out lists, lots of them have tons of players released, transferred out on a free each season. It's not an exact science, who to release, who's worth investing in etc. We're at the nursery stage. But I don't think we can compare managers/boards in the past to what we have to deal with in the economic realities of football in the 2020s.

Even Saint Warnock has a much bigger budget than we do at Middlesbrough, which is why he can pick up players that we've identified first. It's not easy out there and if some of our players make it, like Willock, Chair, Dickie, Dieng, and we sell them for a decent profit, that's a hell of an achievement for the club and the coaching team.
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 09:32 - Jan 30 with 1765 viewsdublinr

I think we all understand that contracts are business arrangements, signed when they suit player and club. They don't tie players to us for the duration or demonstrate their genuine love for the club.

But when a player signs a long contract, giving us the best chance of selling for a profit, and does so acknowledging the fans and the club for what its given him, then we've every right to enjoy it. Well done, Ilias.

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 11:00 - Jan 30 with 1671 viewsfrancisbowles

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 08:48 - Jan 30 by nix

I think it was a bit easier in those days though to pick up unpolished diamonds but interesting that Marsh also stopped performing to get a move. It goes to show even the bigger clubs, eg Ozil at Arsenal, Bale at Real Madrid, Tevez at Man City can be held over a barrel if the player is bloody minded enough to sit it out on the bench.

These days when you have Chelsea's training ground set up with a pitch to mirror each Premiership ground so they can practise authentically before each match (true). Where they, and Man City, and Utd and other clubs hoover up all the best young talent, just in case, on an industrial scale and have a business model to loan out their players to Championship or foreign clubs to make money, not to develop them. Where all three of our nearest rivals have been in the game of developing players longer than us (at least this time round) so probably have a better system of identification of young talent. It's that much harder to pick up decent players for a song.

We're having to build a reputation and links with agents and clubs as somewhere it's worth young players to come to. We're having to find players who have something no one else has spotted. We're having to risk them in the first team when much of our fan base are not bought into the new realities and expect all our new players to hit the ground running. All this despite the ones we are getting never having played at this level/not had much experience of adult football/had some flaw that needs to be sorted out.

If you look at most teams transfer out lists, lots of them have tons of players released, transferred out on a free each season. It's not an exact science, who to release, who's worth investing in etc. We're at the nursery stage. But I don't think we can compare managers/boards in the past to what we have to deal with in the economic realities of football in the 2020s.

Even Saint Warnock has a much bigger budget than we do at Middlesbrough, which is why he can pick up players that we've identified first. It's not easy out there and if some of our players make it, like Willock, Chair, Dickie, Dieng, and we sell them for a decent profit, that's a hell of an achievement for the club and the coaching team.

Great post Nix.

It's simple economics, the longer the contract the higher the sale value.

It's simple arithmetic, in 2018/19 we lost £12 million with our last parachute payment of £17 million = £29 million

That's the potential loss for the following season, if, we hadn't done anything to sell assets, reduce costs. Then there would be the points penalty that goes with it.

This is all detached from the problems with overspending that we had under current and previous owners. Although it is of course just adding to the mountain of debt that the club has accumulated.

It's all very well, Stainrod's elbow, bringing up Jim Gregory but he was pretty much in total command of the club, in a completely different era, when the cost of players in fees and wages were immensely different and he made decisions that he could afford from his own personal wealth. It was also much cheaper and easier to build and maintain stadia etc.

Without this close control over our losses by Lee Hoos, the club would have probably have incurred points deductions, been relegated, gone into administration and maybe ceased to exist.

There aren't any local boys, who worked on their dad's fish stall and became second hand car salesmen on a bomb site, ready to invest in this madhouse club that we all follow.

Even if there were, their hands would be tied as to how much they could spend on the operational side of the club.
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 12:23 - Jan 30 with 1602 viewsrsonist

Cast aside your wilful delusions and... pretend FFP (introduced over a decade ago) and Bosman (introduced over a quarter of a century ago) never happened.
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 15:59 - Jan 30 with 1507 viewsstainrods_elbow

Good to see a number of posters confirming my point. The club are doing this to protect and potentially inflate their asset, and Ilias (who may well have been promised a move in a year or so on the back of it, as I strongly suspect Freeman was) is happy to play along. Take anything else he and/or the club are saying about it with a lorryload of salt. Sorry, but that's business.

As for Jim Gregory and QPR having success in the past by actually building a squad the supporters (remember them?) could love for more than five minutes - how else does anyone think 'spirit' in football gets engendered? - I did a bit of back-checking of the 75/76 squad to see how long that nucleus of plyers had been with the club before we nearly won the league by playing the best football in the country.

Leach 11 years
Clement 10 years
Gillard 7 years
Francis 7 years
Parkes 5 years
Busby 5 years
Givens 3 years
Bowles 3 years

Modern football - pah! I rest my case. (Twice!)

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 16:39 - Jan 30 with 1475 viewsterryb

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 15:59 - Jan 30 by stainrods_elbow

Good to see a number of posters confirming my point. The club are doing this to protect and potentially inflate their asset, and Ilias (who may well have been promised a move in a year or so on the back of it, as I strongly suspect Freeman was) is happy to play along. Take anything else he and/or the club are saying about it with a lorryload of salt. Sorry, but that's business.

As for Jim Gregory and QPR having success in the past by actually building a squad the supporters (remember them?) could love for more than five minutes - how else does anyone think 'spirit' in football gets engendered? - I did a bit of back-checking of the 75/76 squad to see how long that nucleus of plyers had been with the club before we nearly won the league by playing the best football in the country.

Leach 11 years
Clement 10 years
Gillard 7 years
Francis 7 years
Parkes 5 years
Busby 5 years
Givens 3 years
Bowles 3 years

Absolutely correct with those players.

However, JG soon sold Clive Allen & Paul Goddard when they could have stayed for a lot more years!

That still rates as my lowest moment (apart form Norwich 1976) of supporting Rangers!
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 17:08 - Jan 30 with 1442 viewsstainrods_elbow

I'm not saying (obviously) that Gregory was flawless - in fact, he was a bit of a rogue. Just that he understood what it meant to build a squad (and a stadium). The current incumbents just want to take us away from LR on stupid non-grounds of expanding our brand/making money from housing or whatever else, and treating the team as a means to sustain the 'business model', rather than the other way round. They're not fit to lace Gregory's shoes - in my so-called 'superior' opinion.

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 17:11 - Jan 30 with 1448 viewskarl

Leach 11 years
Clement 10 years
Gillard 7 years
Francis 7 years
Parkes 5 years
Busby 5 years
Givens 3 years
Bowles 3 years

Nice moving of the goalposts, you started off criticising the board and their intentions, you've now, quite rightly, been led by everyone else into realising its the way of modern football.
Congratulations you'll be calmer and view the club in a better light in no time! 😂
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 18:02 - Jan 30 with 1415 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Credit where credit is due. A great bit of business done by the club particularly coming hot of the heels of the Manning and BOS sagas. Well done QPR and congrats Ilias; richly deserved.
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 18:08 - Jan 30 with 1399 viewsTGRRRSSS

Was Freeman an undisclosed sale?

IN many ways it can make sense businesswise, but it also doesn't help with fans who they are trying to say we're running the club to develop and sell - then Eze because it was so much higher than anything in years - it was announced the ball park figure (or headline figure)
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 18:09 - Jan 30 with 1405 viewsNorthernr

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 12:23 - Jan 30 by rsonist

Cast aside your wilful delusions and... pretend FFP (introduced over a decade ago) and Bosman (introduced over a quarter of a century ago) never happened.

Absolutely this. It's 2021. We may not like what football has become, but it has become.
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 19:02 - Jan 30 with 1368 viewsAntti_Heinola

Leach 11 years
Clement 10 years
Gillard 7 years
Francis 7 years
Parkes 5 years
Busby 5 years
Givens 3 years
Bowles 3 years

Your case rested about 40 years ago.

The idea of applying wisdom about football from his era to now is fun but absolutely meaningless.

Bare bones.

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 19:06 - Jan 30 with 1353 viewsstainrods_elbow

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 17:11 - Jan 30 by karl

Nice moving of the goalposts, you started off criticising the board and their intentions, you've now, quite rightly, been led by everyone else into realising its the way of modern football.
Congratulations you'll be calmer and view the club in a better light in no time! 😂

Patronising and tedious doesn't begin to cover it! Led by everyone else? Try being less of a sheep and more of an individual - it'll be good for growing a soul!

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 19:22 - Jan 30 with 1337 viewsstainrods_elbow

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 19:02 - Jan 30 by Antti_Heinola

Your case rested about 40 years ago.

The idea of applying wisdom about football from his era to now is fun but absolutely meaningless.

Thanks for that. Carefully led as I have been by more enlightened and in no way supercilious posters, I have now seen the light.

1. The nice Mr Hoos is absolutely right - we must leave LR as soon as possible as it's self-evidently clear we cannot/will not/must not develop the ground, obviously need a 35k stadium into which we will effortlessly magic thousands of new fans (who the business model' will clearly have attracted from young ages by creating a stable side they will identify with - see below), and can use the rest of the site for lucrative housing developments for us to get rich with. It's the only way QPR can be sustainable, and the soul of the club is all he and everyone else care about. Becuase they tell us it's so, it must be so.

2. The club must sell, sell, sell any player of note at the earliest opportunity for fees that vary between peanuts and the odd misreported supposed windfall, and which will never in any case be relayed to fans, which does not in many way make them mugs. It's all a matter of FFP, the next pandemic, and football economics.

3. Football is not a sport, or a communion, or about building great memories. It's a brand, a business, and the games themselves (what more savvy people than me like to call 'the footballing side') are just the shop window.

Happy now? And to think these sad neoliberals call me smug!

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 20:32 - Jan 30 with 1303 viewsMyke

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 19:22 - Jan 30 by stainrods_elbow

Thanks for that. Carefully led as I have been by more enlightened and in no way supercilious posters, I have now seen the light.

1. The nice Mr Hoos is absolutely right - we must leave LR as soon as possible as it's self-evidently clear we cannot/will not/must not develop the ground, obviously need a 35k stadium into which we will effortlessly magic thousands of new fans (who the business model' will clearly have attracted from young ages by creating a stable side they will identify with - see below), and can use the rest of the site for lucrative housing developments for us to get rich with. It's the only way QPR can be sustainable, and the soul of the club is all he and everyone else care about. Becuase they tell us it's so, it must be so.

2. The club must sell, sell, sell any player of note at the earliest opportunity for fees that vary between peanuts and the odd misreported supposed windfall, and which will never in any case be relayed to fans, which does not in many way make them mugs. It's all a matter of FFP, the next pandemic, and football economics.

3. Football is not a sport, or a communion, or about building great memories. It's a brand, a business, and the games themselves (what more savvy people than me like to call 'the footballing side') are just the shop window.

All this is unfortunately true. It is less true as you slide down the divisions, players of lesser quality will stay longer for one reason or another and there is a higher percentage of a player being born locally and therefore having a greater affinity with the club they are playing for.
The money the top earners are making is obscene, I don't think any argument about 'short careers ' will sugar coat that fact. If anything there careers are a little longer than they were and they are certainly much better looked after in the aftermath of their careers. But the reality is, you are not comparing like with like, whether you agree with it or not. We all harp back with nostalgia to the 'good old days' when loyalty meant something and a 'one club man' was the norm, not a collectors item.
Bosman changed EVERYTHING. Not immediately of course, the implications and long term ramification of these rule changes always take time to become fully exposed and often are subverted, sometime accidentally (like viagra for example - hey I'm getting old), but often very deliberately from their original purpose to fit a new one. Bosman himself, when he was taking the case, couldn't have foreseen that wealthy little upstarts would deliberately run down their contracts to get a better deal for themselves elsewhere.
But that's the way it is and in that context, the Chair deal is great news for all parties. Yes it's a cynical exercise in many respects , but personally I won't be nearly as upset if he leaves in 18 months for 10 mill, than I am over the Manning and BOS debacles
[Post edited 30 Jan 2021 20:35]
Ilias Chair till 2025! on 21:22 - Jan 30 with 1272 viewsnix

Ilias Chair till 2025! on 19:22 - Jan 30 by stainrods_elbow

More straw men than a filed of freshly sown corn.

And to call someone patronising while telling them to not be a sheep. Right you are then.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024