Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton 13:27 - Feb 9 with 9076 viewsGuppy22

Am I right in thinking his contract expires in the summer? Question is would you extend it now, had his critics up until Christmas and maybe rightly so, but the team now looks settled and players improving consistently, would you extend it now? My feeling is we should and let him push on knowing he is safe from getting sacked
Warburton on 13:36 - Feb 9 with 4933 views2Thomas2Bowles

I prefer Lidl's farmhouse myself and only 79p

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Warburton on 13:54 - Feb 9 with 4922 viewsSimplyNico

Keep. Doing a good job.
Warburton on 14:11 - Feb 9 with 4850 viewsbosh67

Warburton on 13:54 - Feb 9 by SimplyNico

Keep. Doing a good job.

People forget the financial situation this club is in and what it is trying to cope with at all angles. Warbs, Les and Lee get dog's abuse but under the circumstances for me they are doing as good a job as they can.

Warbs has been guilty of being out thought but he is showing signs of being able to shuffle things. He's a decent manager and a genius financial head.

We have to understand that Warbs isn't here for the pay cheque. He's here for the project over X years. He doesn't need the money. He has more than Fernandes believe it or not.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Warburton on 14:19 - Feb 9 with 4827 viewsQPROslo

I think we should try to extend it for a couple more years at least. I've always thought he's doing a good job. Continuety in giving longer contracts to decent and developing players, should be reflected with our very capable Manager.
Warburton on 14:36 - Feb 9 with 4787 viewsLowerloftLad

what a position to be talking about and better than the annual sacking thread i think he sign another deal considering the likes of chair,dickie,dieng seem settled and on long term deals so we have wriggle room for good deals

all the clubs that are over achieving the likes of wycombe and Burnley have managers that have been with the club for many years so im hoping we are turning a new leaf and looking at a much longer project with warburton

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Warburton on 14:39 - Feb 9 with 4773 viewsfrancisbowles

Warburton on 14:11 - Feb 9 by bosh67

People forget the financial situation this club is in and what it is trying to cope with at all angles. Warbs, Les and Lee get dog's abuse but under the circumstances for me they are doing as good a job as they can.

Warbs has been guilty of being out thought but he is showing signs of being able to shuffle things. He's a decent manager and a genius financial head.

We have to understand that Warbs isn't here for the pay cheque. He's here for the project over X years. He doesn't need the money. He has more than Fernandes believe it or not.

Does he want to buy the club?
Warburton on 14:43 - Feb 9 with 4760 viewsLazyFan

As soon as we are safe, extend by 1 year with an option for another.

If no safety, then its time for a change.

zzzzzzzzzz

Warburton on 15:08 - Feb 9 with 4687 viewsgazza1

MW will be here for another couple of years, at least, if he wants to stay here......we wont be getting rid of him for sure.
Login to get fewer ads

Warburton on 15:24 - Feb 9 with 4638 viewsdaveB

Warburton on 14:43 - Feb 9 by LazyFan

As soon as we are safe, extend by 1 year with an option for another.

If no safety, then its time for a change.

yeah thats what I'd go with as well
Warburton on 15:27 - Feb 9 with 4623 viewsTheChef

Happy for him to stay.

On the other hand, will he want to stay?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Warburton on 15:46 - Feb 9 with 4570 viewskensalriser

Extend by a week for every game he wins, shorten by a week for every game he loses.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Warburton on 16:34 - Feb 9 with 4458 viewsNoelmc

My priorities as a fan are to see the R's -

Play attractive football.
Manage to stay within our budget constraints
Develop and bring through our own players rather than buy in expensive has beens.
Use the loan system in a limited but wise way to fill gaps/weaknesses in our squad.
Stay competitive in the Championship - (Personally I don't want us to get promoted or relegated as this is by far my favourite league to be in)

So far, MW has done very well on all the above, particularly with regard to the quality of the football. On that basis I'd be inclined to offer him a two year extension now.
Warburton on 17:41 - Feb 9 with 4307 viewspaulparker

We need to stay up first and foremost, still plenty of work to do in that department lots of fans are getting carried away with recent results
It’s in our hands to stay up
Coventry
Sheff wed
Luton
Wycombe
Huddersfield
Birmingham
Are all home games we can win, plus Saturdays game against Rotherham is huge
If we stay up a full review of the season needs to take place on how we got ourselves in this mess, the dropped points, defensive mistakes , poor subs , etc, etc
Yes improvements have been made recently if it continues and we stay up by some distance then I don’t see any harm in an extension for a year but let’s see, plenty of football to be played yet

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Warburton on 17:55 - Feb 9 with 4286 viewsWren67

Keep him. we are not going down. 2 year contract extension.
We could do a lot worse.
Warburton on 17:57 - Feb 9 with 4278 viewsBlackCrowe

No question about it. Keep.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Warburton on 18:16 - Feb 9 with 4211 viewsGloryHunter

Warburton on 14:11 - Feb 9 by bosh67

He doesn't need the money. He has more than Fernandes believe it or not.

I'd be interested to see your figures on that. Wiki has Fernandes on $335m net worth, but isn't his airline business also in hock to the Malaysian government in some way?
And I know Warbs used to be a City trader, but is his personal wealth really published somewhere?
Warburton on 18:42 - Feb 9 with 4149 viewsAshdown_Ranger

Warburton on 16:34 - Feb 9 by Noelmc

My priorities as a fan are to see the R's -

Play attractive football.
Manage to stay within our budget constraints
Develop and bring through our own players rather than buy in expensive has beens.
Use the loan system in a limited but wise way to fill gaps/weaknesses in our squad.
Stay competitive in the Championship - (Personally I don't want us to get promoted or relegated as this is by far my favourite league to be in)

So far, MW has done very well on all the above, particularly with regard to the quality of the football. On that basis I'd be inclined to offer him a two year extension now.

Wot he sed
Warburton on 19:07 - Feb 9 with 4078 viewsmcqpr10

Personally I would extend his contract. Likes to play attacking football on the deck. Certainly more pragmatic and flexible than we thought he could be. Would love the consistency of another 2 years.
However, i wonder if he is a goner. Reminds me of when Holloway's contract was running down and he was let go at the end of the season despite some promising results blooding the youngsters.
Warburton on 21:36 - Feb 9 with 3888 viewsCincyHoop

Warburton on 18:16 - Feb 9 by GloryHunter

He doesn't need the money. He has more than Fernandes believe it or not.

I'd be interested to see your figures on that. Wiki has Fernandes on $335m net worth, but isn't his airline business also in hock to the Malaysian government in some way?
And I know Warbs used to be a City trader, but is his personal wealth really published somewhere?

Thought the same thing GloryHunter. Surely he might be worth 20mm, maybe 50mm (probably a stretch), but he has nowhere near the liquidity and financial wherewithal of Tony. They aren't even in the same sandbox when it comes to access to liquidity.

FWIW, I would give Warbs another 2 year contract. I prefer the one in the hand to the two in the bush. Plus I think Warbs has done an over solid job, given the financial constraints of the club and battling the last year in the depths of a global pandemic.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2021 21:40]
Warburton on 22:28 - Feb 9 with 3776 viewsMyke

Warburton on 21:36 - Feb 9 by CincyHoop

Thought the same thing GloryHunter. Surely he might be worth 20mm, maybe 50mm (probably a stretch), but he has nowhere near the liquidity and financial wherewithal of Tony. They aren't even in the same sandbox when it comes to access to liquidity.

FWIW, I would give Warbs another 2 year contract. I prefer the one in the hand to the two in the bush. Plus I think Warbs has done an over solid job, given the financial constraints of the club and battling the last year in the depths of a global pandemic.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2021 21:40]

I think if we are debating whether Warburton's personal financial worth is £20m or £50m it becomes pretty academic in the context of whether he NEEDS to manage QPR or not. Whether he would LIKE to continue as our manager after the abuse (mild here, I am sure to twitterland, which I don't inhabit) or whether we WISH to have a manager who presides over lengthy winless runs, on an alarmingly regular basis, are more salient questions.
Has he fulfilled the remit he was given 18 months ago? Lets have a look
1 Develop young talent - check
2 Expect best young talent to be sold off yet remain competitive - check
3 Operate within tight budgetary constraints - check
4 Achieve all this in the midst of a completely unforeseen pandemic -check

Has he had to be 'baled out' by 'dead-end' loan deals? Absolutely. Less obviously last season, when Wells and Hugill were there from the start of the season so felt 'ours', but clearly their goals kept us afloat last year, despite all the feel good scintillating football we played. This season, while it's early days, Austin has obviously been a positive influence, not just for his goals but his overall attitude and sense of belief he has instilled. Johanson also looks a useful addition. I don't see a problem with 'short term adjustments' in order to keep a 'long term project' on track, as long as these short term solutions don't subjugate the bigger picture.
I think we really need to stay in this division. I think the January 'short term fix' signings reflected this. But I think they also reflected that the hierarchy are prepared to back Warburton. Also, even when we couldn't buy a win (or a goal), Warburton never 'lost' the dressing room. Regardless of the result, the players worked their ass off for him.
I also think he has become more pragmatic. The accusation always levied at Warburton was that he had no 'plan B'. That certainly seemed to be the case in those dark, winless days in December, when the line-ups and substitutions were as predictable as the result. But he has shown he can change, maybe to save his job, maybe as a result of Austin's deeper link up play or maybe out of astuteness, be he HAS shown a willingness to change, personnel, formation, style , to tighten up the defence.. A new, flexible thought process, allied to his already undoubted coaching talents, could be a very potent weapon next season.
Plus this is HIS team, HIS project. Do we really want to rip it up and start again?
VERDICT: Give him a two year extension (if he wants it)
Warburton on 08:38 - Feb 10 with 3568 viewsNW10Hoop

Any manager coming in will probably have a target of 12-16th and we’ve played some of our most entertaining football of the last 25 years under MW, the football, which has also been effective when he’s had decent strikers available. Given the same targets and resources as anyone else who would come to the club I think we’ve already got our man.

Also seems to be a decent fella, and I love the idea of having the same manager for 4 or more seasons.
Warburton on 09:03 - Feb 10 with 3514 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Back in mid-December, I was reluctantly in the camp that thought we should replace him. We were continually losing games in the same manner due to tactical inflexibility , we were losing far, far too many of them, he appeared negative and defensive and the fans were getting it in the neck for pointing out what were often basic truths.

I thought it wise to see if we could bring in a better manager and give him the full transfer window and the training breaks that January allowed.

But Warburton's tightening of the defence, his switch to 343 and then, on Austin's arrival, to 3412 has revitalised the team as has the Austin signing itself.

I was delighted with last season, was delighted with his part in last season's scouting and he had earned enormous credit up to the first lockdown. However, our W-L record since that first lockdown is still very poor, as four wins out of five is not enough to change that, so I would wait another while before extending. If the recovery is still real in a few weeks, then I would be happy with an extension.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Warburton on 09:11 - Feb 10 with 3488 viewsstevec

Any manager who comes with a target of 12th to 16th should be swiftly directed towards the revolving doors.

Warbs seems an honourable bloke, suspect he, as much as anybody, has said let’s see where we end up before you or I commit.

As said earlier, let’s stick with that and see where we are. Personally think he should have done better last season with the five attacking players he had at his disposal, but it was still entertaining. Think Les and Hoos let him and the club down badly with their negative attitude to the last nine games of the season after lockdown.

The first half of this season was a shambles. Again, was that Warbs or the meddling behind the scenes which seems to afflict this club on an ever increasing basis.

To be honest I literally have no idea who is in day to day charge at the very top of the tree these days, that needs to become transparent otherwise nothing much will change for the better.
Warburton on 09:16 - Feb 10 with 3475 viewsQPROslo

Warburton on 08:38 - Feb 10 by NW10Hoop

Any manager coming in will probably have a target of 12-16th and we’ve played some of our most entertaining football of the last 25 years under MW, the football, which has also been effective when he’s had decent strikers available. Given the same targets and resources as anyone else who would come to the club I think we’ve already got our man.

Also seems to be a decent fella, and I love the idea of having the same manager for 4 or more seasons.

For me the target has to be at the least top 6. Anything less smacks of lack of ambition and will be smelt by everyone, players included, and lead sooner or later to relegation.
Warburton on 09:49 - Feb 10 with 3417 viewsMedwayR

I struggle to think of anyone that would do any better and would want to manage us. I also like the fact that he seems quite hands-on on the training ground unlike some of our previous managers and has seemingly good coaches around him such as Banfield and Eustace rather than just jobs for his mates. He does frustrate me at times, particularly as the idea of coaching or putting any focus on the defence seems to be beyond him but overall I think he's done a good job. I guess the question next season (and possibly still this season) is whether he can keep digging us out of our spells of poor form.

Poll: Who’s better?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024