Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How to combat the high press 09:12 - Feb 27 with 4401 viewsnix

Just wondering if anyone with a better technical knowledge could offer some ideas as to how we might combat a team like Barnsley, who we're playing on Wednesday. According to Sky stats, Barnsley are the best in the league at winning the ball back in the final third and allowing the least amount of time for the players with the ball. While we have pretty good technical players, we do tend to like to take an extra touch or spend a bit of time deciding where to pass. Derby particularly hurried us into moving the ball.

How could we combat this without resorting to hoof ball?
How to combat the high press on 09:43 - Feb 27 with 3293 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

In my opinion you need to be patient and play a waiting game. There will always be times in a game where pressing teams tire and you need to exploit those. In our favour patience has has been a characteristic of our recent good run so might be in our favour.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

How to combat the high press on 09:57 - Feb 27 with 3251 viewskarl

I think it's a case of mixing up your approach and not being dogmatic about playing out from the back, which I think we are now doing.
A high press has to have their defence right up to the halfway line so the occasional long ball over the top will keep them honest and will probably be the game where we would benefit from still having BOS?
Keeper to fullback and big diagonal switch would be my guess as to our outball.
I think we are comfortable in possession at the back and now with the more direct attitude we could be well set to counter this tactic
How to combat the high press on 10:06 - Feb 27 with 3228 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Will enjoy this thread, as the answer's not clear to me either.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

How to combat the high press on 10:19 - Feb 27 with 3195 viewsMedwayR

In football speak move the ball quickly through the thirds.
In layman terms, don’t get caught dallying.

We don’t have to resort to punting aimlessly upfield and can play through midfield but can’t faff about at the back.

Poll: Who’s better?

How to combat the high press on 10:21 - Feb 27 with 3190 viewsozexile

I agree with the previous post in mixing up your play. Plus you have to switch the play. Draw them in on one side of the pitch then switch to the other quickly. You can't high press the whole field.
How to combat the high press on 10:34 - Feb 27 with 3157 viewskarl

How to combat the high press on 10:06 - Feb 27 by BrianMcCarthy

Will enjoy this thread, as the answer's not clear to me either.

Yes, be interesting how everyone views it Brian. Certainly not one answer to it.
How to combat the high press on 10:37 - Feb 27 with 3137 viewsBrianMcCarthy

How to combat the high press on 10:34 - Feb 27 by karl

Yes, be interesting how everyone views it Brian. Certainly not one answer to it.

Definitely.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

How to combat the high press on 10:46 - Feb 27 with 3103 viewsLongsufferingR

Pass the ball to our own players, run past the high press, and eventually when we are in shooting distance, kick the ball just out of the goalkeeper's reach. Simple.
Login to get fewer ads

How to combat the high press on 10:50 - Feb 27 with 3092 viewsJamesB1979

My answer was your last sentence. Isn’t that benefits of having strikers like Austin and Dykes? Mix it up, suck them in then launch it. If they then stop the press start passing it about again.
How to combat the high press on 10:50 - Feb 27 with 3090 viewsdavman

In my eyes, it's quite straightforward if you don't want to resort to hoofball and tactically Warbs will know what is required. You pass your way out of a high press by, well, passing and controlling the ball well enough. The problem is when you aren't quite good enough to do it at the level required.

Man City cope with it because, frankly, they are on a different level to our lot. We will struggle because our players are not consistently good passers. For all the Barbs Diags that come off, he, Dickie and especially Cameron are almost guaranteed to misplace a few passes during the game. Add in the times Dom Ball reverts to his National League persona as opposed to the Prem one he has in him and we WILL make mistakes.

Coping with limited players mean taking fewer risks whilst moving the ball and the press to knacker the oppo out, then pick them off as their intensity drops.

Reality is, of course, that there is so little between teams in this crap league that it is a lot about who is on their game on a given match day.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

How to combat the high press on 11:39 - Feb 27 with 3019 viewsLongsufferingR

....also we managed perfectly well in the first match against them until Dickie got sent off. We were well on top before that so no particular concerns.
How to combat the high press on 11:45 - Feb 27 with 3000 viewsnix

Thanks guys. An interesting discussion. Mixing it up sounds like a decent strategy. Not allowing them to get too complacent and expecting us to always play slowly out of the back by switching it up and playing a few long balls over the top or moving the ball quickly.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2021 11:46]
How to combat the high press on 11:55 - Feb 27 with 2978 viewsDorse

I think the best way to prevent the high press is to give the opposition the ball. It's the last thing they'll expect.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

How to combat the high press on 12:47 - Feb 27 with 2890 viewsDavieQPR

Speed is required and that is where a player like Willock is needed.
How to combat the high press on 13:03 - Feb 27 with 2843 viewscharmr

Everyone talks about Creating overloads in the final 3rd however it is, and can be used all over the field especially playing one touch.

Sexton and Venables teams both played a lot of one touch with full backs pushing up from back to front. Sextons team always had a way of getting out and up the field using Clement and Gillard. Somewhat revolutionary at the time. Also these managers used something not used very much and was very effective. The chest pass. Ball played up to the chest area, playing back to goal, ball set and then received by a forward run. Ball played up would isolate defender and create holes and break lines. A very different thought process to playing long to get out the press.

Sexton and Venables, my favorite teams and great coaches. 4.0 away to Wolves one year, anyone?
[Post edited 27 Feb 2021 13:07]
How to combat the high press on 13:59 - Feb 27 with 2756 viewsrsonist

Just press em right back.

;)
How to combat the high press on 14:00 - Feb 27 with 2755 viewsrsonist

How to combat the high press on 11:55 - Feb 27 by Dorse

I think the best way to prevent the high press is to give the opposition the ball. It's the last thing they'll expect.

Jose is that you?
How to combat the high press on 14:01 - Feb 27 with 2726 views2Thomas2Bowles

Don't buy the Sun

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

How to combat the high press on 15:04 - Feb 27 with 2697 viewsR_from_afar

Interesting thread

To be done effectively, the high press requires both a lot of effort and high levels of concentration. You've got to get so close to your man that, at best, you can physically stop his pass or rob him of the ball, or at worst, put him off. Pressing high requires a lot of players and leaves loads of space behind them to exploit if you get the ball.

Fail to execute the high press properly and the opposition pass through you into a big space in which you have very few players, putting your goal at risk.

If our wing backs stay alert, they might be able to get in behind the high press if that high press falters.

Or something.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

How to combat the high press on 15:30 - Feb 27 with 2674 viewsjoe90

As previously mentioned...I believe the key is patience. Eventually the opposition will tire and make mistake, the key is to be ready to run in behind once the opportunity has presented itself. There should be acres of space. Don't pass out from back. Honestly I don't know!
How to combat the high press on 17:09 - Feb 27 with 2608 viewsTGRRRSSS

Some of it must depend how good they are with the ball too - I've noticed at times, at Preston I felt we were not quite as snappy moving the ball as we needed to be at times, and thats the kind of thing you need to be to combat a good team who are good at it.
How to combat the high press on 17:31 - Feb 27 with 2591 viewsT_Block

I believe the issue for the last two games has been the position have been pressing with 7 players,

The tactics to avoid this is to maximise the time and space each QPR player has.

So full-backs as wide as possible (to make rich as wide as possible.)

Pass early to player receiving to maximise time

Make sure you have numerical superiority in own half,ie midfielders come -back to offer up choices

Each man receiving should have two clear and obvious options.This should be rehearsed.
How to combat the high press on 18:16 - Feb 27 with 2557 viewsjoe90

How to combat the high press on 17:31 - Feb 27 by T_Block

I believe the issue for the last two games has been the position have been pressing with 7 players,

The tactics to avoid this is to maximise the time and space each QPR player has.

So full-backs as wide as possible (to make rich as wide as possible.)

Pass early to player receiving to maximise time

Make sure you have numerical superiority in own half,ie midfielders come -back to offer up choices

Each man receiving should have two clear and obvious options.This should be rehearsed.

Got to do the passing triangles.

I sometimes think playing 'better' teams forces us to play better, but we then conversely struggle to repeat it against 'worst' teams.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2021 18:19]
How to combat the high press on 01:38 - Feb 28 with 2467 viewsFredManRave

What do I win?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

How to combat the high press on 06:45 - Feb 28 with 2430 viewsWesley2Hoops

To my (ignorant) mind the main question here is how do you feel about using your keeper in possession. If you want to avoid it then the best you can do is try to get individual players to beat their marker through movement, pace or skill and then you're a man over somewhere. If you are willing to pass to your keeper against a high press and one of their players go to him then you should have a man free somewhere? Get the ball to him and in theory you've got the upper hand? Problem is, he's likely to be a defender, still miles away from their goal, and whilst this sounds great, feels like for every goal you create for yourselves this way you ship ten embarrassing soft ones. So, I've been working on my own highly technical solution with my kids team and have invented something I describe as Having Offensive Opportunities Forged By Always Looking Long. Just trying to think of a fancy sounding acronym now....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024