Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Masons 20:04 - Mar 29 with 11689 viewsstowmarketrange

I just watched a documentary on Sky about the Freemasons.It just looks like a gang of old people out for a p@ss up,with a few rituals thrown in for good measure.
My father in law was a mason until giving it up because of poor health recently and I’m glad he never asked me to join.What a load of old tosh.
The Masons on 01:55 - Mar 30 with 4456 viewsBoston

Coincidentally, I shall be pouring concrete foundations tomorrow.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The Masons on 07:22 - Mar 30 with 4344 viewsRs_Holy

Most of the companies I have worked at have free-masons at the top. You can tell them a mile off.
The Masons on 08:08 - Mar 30 with 4301 viewsDorse

Used to know a guy who was a Mason. As part of his job, he'd have to drive for a couple of hours a day and he'd spend all of it listening to CDs of various rituals so he could learn each part.

He never explained exactly what role he was expected to perform but I got the impression he was leading it and was still a bit new to the thing. What struck me about it, was how seriously he took it. In all other aspects of his life, he was such a laid back type of bloke.

No judgement from me on what he did or didn't believe (how would I know? He never said) but he wasn't the piss-up type. Might have been a shape shifting lizard, however.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The Masons on 09:36 - Mar 30 with 4209 viewsgazza1

Interesting post from the OP......I wonder why he was no asked to join!!!
The Masons on 09:43 - Mar 30 with 4192 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

[Post edited 30 Mar 2021 9:44]
The Masons on 09:50 - Mar 30 with 4163 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The Masons on 09:57 - Mar 30 with 4136 viewscolinallcars

I thought this thread was going to be about the Masons Arms in Teddington. Lovely little pub. Anyone know it ?
The Masons on 09:58 - Mar 30 with 4129 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The Masons on 09:57 - Mar 30 by colinallcars

I thought this thread was going to be about the Masons Arms in Teddington. Lovely little pub. Anyone know it ?

Ya, we used to have our Freemasons' Meetings there.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

The Masons on 10:35 - Mar 30 with 4084 viewsPeterHucker

My former band used to get loads of bookings to play masonic functions.
Mainly because we played 50s / 60s music and most of the masons were all really old!!

There was always a sit-down dinner, then a lot of speeches. The speeches always over-ran and went on for ages and ages so we ended up not playing for very long.
But we didn't care because they paid us well and fed us.

Never saw any kind of sinister goings-on or the slightest hint of them actually being lizard people.
It was just a bunch of friendly old codgers who liked Eddie Cochran songs.
The Masons on 10:43 - Mar 30 with 4074 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Masons on 10:35 - Mar 30 by PeterHucker

Mainly because we played 50s / 60s music and most of the masons were all really old!!

There was always a sit-down dinner, then a lot of speeches. The speeches always over-ran and went on for ages and ages so we ended up not playing for very long.

Never saw any kind of sinister goings-on or the slightest hint of them actually being lizard people.

I used to work in a Holiday Inn Bar in Newcastle and the manager was a Mason so always held events there.

They used to make a massive deal about locking all the doors and clearing staff away from the function room during the ceremonies, then get pissed and spill the beans to anyone who would listen afterwards 😂
[Post edited 30 Mar 2021 10:44]
The Masons on 11:04 - Mar 30 with 4038 viewsMrSheen

The Masons on 10:35 - Mar 30 by PeterHucker

Never been involved at all, but my sense is it dates from a time when husbands and wives were assumed to have nothing in common and happier away from each other. My own Dad would work all hours and then go to the pub to be with his friends and any other random acquaintances that wandered into view. I imagine the Masons appealing to men used to male company (ex-services) and those with nothing better to do (divorcees, widowers?), who can enjoy all the theatrical ritual and structure. No appeal to me (yet!) but it’s better than isolation. Like indoor golf, all-consuming for those bitten by the bug, baffling to the rest of us.

Always been low profile in London (though my Dad said he heard that a lot of council contracts were awarded in the lodge in the 70s), but it’s much bigger outside. I once went to Sheffield for a client conference that was booked in the Masonic Hall on the edge of the city. I asked how I was supposed to get there and I was told “ask anyone”. It was like a university campus.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2021 11:24]
The Masons on 11:13 - Mar 30 with 4013 viewsTeddRanger

I do! haven't been in there for ages, might return when we can .

Prefer The Tide End though. That is a great pub.
The Masons on 12:04 - Mar 30 with 3938 viewsHamptonR

I do, a very nice pub, used to use it before getting fully tank up in the social club up the road.
The Masons on 12:16 - Mar 30 with 3897 viewsdaveB

My Father in law is a mason so went to a few dos with my misses over the years, was always quite odd
The Masons on 12:36 - Mar 30 with 3875 viewsgazza1

What an absolute load of rubbish being written on this thread!!!! Mostly absolute nonsense being written and far from factual.
The Masons on 12:59 - Mar 30 with 3829 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Masons on 12:36 - Mar 30 by gazza1

What an absolute load of rubbish being written on this thread!!!! Mostly absolute nonsense being written and far from factual.

Shh! You’ll get us blackballed!
The Masons on 13:06 - Mar 30 with 3816 viewsstowmarketrange

The Masons on 09:36 - Mar 30 by gazza1

Interesting post from the OP......I wonder why he was no asked to join!!!

There a few reasons why he never asked me about joining.After seeing me in a suit marrying his daughter,he probably thought I’d embarrass him go to the meeting looking like worzel gummidge.
And I always worked nights during the week,so I’d have to take a days holiday every time there was a meeting.
And I never showed any interest in his Masonic activities,so it was never mentioned.The only time I ever got involved was sending an email to the big cheese before Christmas to tell them that he was resigning from them for health reasons.

The programme last night was mostly old people standing around drinking or eating.And I don’t need to join a society to become a better individual,but luckily we’re not all the same.
The Masons on 13:29 - Mar 30 with 3767 viewsgazza1

The Masons on 13:06 - Mar 30 by stowmarketrange

There a few reasons why he never asked me about joining.After seeing me in a suit marrying his daughter,he probably thought I’d embarrass him go to the meeting looking like worzel gummidge.
And I always worked nights during the week,so I’d have to take a days holiday every time there was a meeting.
And I never showed any interest in his Masonic activities,so it was never mentioned.The only time I ever got involved was sending an email to the big cheese before Christmas to tell them that he was resigning from them for health reasons.

The programme last night was mostly old people standing around drinking or eating.And I don’t need to join a society to become a better individual,but luckily we’re not all the same.

Oh, OK
The Masons on 13:52 - Mar 30 with 3735 viewsted_hendrix

Didn't watch the programme, however back in 1987 we refurbished Hungerford town hall just after the massacre, the local lodge used the town hall and kept all their stuff there, all a bit secretive which is fair enough but they were very helpful apart from being a bit awkward to get hold of.
One morning we got in and all their stuff had disappeared overnight!!
I always viewed them as a sort of a trade union because from memory they called each other Brother.
Again from memory I believe they stick together regardless of circumstances.
Might watch the Iplayer thingy now, sort of whet my appetite.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The Masons (n/t) on 13:55 - Mar 30 with 3731 viewsgazza1

The Masons on 13:52 - Mar 30 by ted_hendrix

Didn't watch the programme, however back in 1987 we refurbished Hungerford town hall just after the massacre, the local lodge used the town hall and kept all their stuff there, all a bit secretive which is fair enough but they were very helpful apart from being a bit awkward to get hold of.
One morning we got in and all their stuff had disappeared overnight!!
I always viewed them as a sort of a trade union because from memory they called each other Brother.
Again from memory I believe they stick together regardless of circumstances.
Might watch the Iplayer thingy now, sort of whet my appetite.

The Masons on 18:55 - Mar 30 with 3539 viewsqueensparker

The Masons on 12:36 - Mar 30 by gazza1

Gazza - are you a Mason?
The Masons on 19:20 - Mar 30 with 3484 viewsDannyPaddox

I know of at least one Mason with Nazi connections ...

The Masons on 19:38 - Mar 30 with 3466 viewsessextaxiboy

OK , I hope I dont regret this ..I am a Freemason .

Happy to answer any genuine questions ..
The Masons on 19:53 - Mar 30 with 3438 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Masons on 19:38 - Mar 30 by essextaxiboy

OK , I hope I dont regret this ..I am a Freemason .

Happy to answer any genuine questions ..

Isn’t membership supposed to be secret?
The Masons on 20:04 - Mar 30 with 3406 viewsessextaxiboy

The Masons on 19:53 - Mar 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

Isn’t membership supposed to be secret?

No , It is not a secret society but a society with secrets .

However while it is fine and more recently encouraged to divulge my own membership . I would not and should not "out " anyone else .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024