Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AFC Bournemouth next 14:14 - Apr 1 with 6280 viewsenfieldargh

talk on their forums that collection buckets could be out very soon. Not exactly sure but yet again the PL poison chalice and the dangers of unrealistic spending in trying to get there.

Heard someone on the radio last night saying expect drastic new on them soon

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

AFC Bournemouth next on 15:30 - Apr 1 with 3938 viewsloftboy

They already are an AFC

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

AFC Bournemouth next on 15:38 - Apr 1 with 3917 viewsderbyhoop

The trouble with small clubs investing (sic!) and getting to the land of milk and honey that is the PL, is that there is no or limited infrastructure.
When they drop to the Championship, as they inevitably do, it gets much harder to attract the sort of players who took them up (see Sunderland, Huddersfield and, even Swansea). And then, when the money and players have gone, there is an almost inevitable decline.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

AFC Bournemouth next on 15:42 - Apr 1 with 3906 viewsW7Ranger

They only came down last year. Why are they in the sh!t already? Parachute payments not helping at all?
AFC Bournemouth next on 16:39 - Apr 1 with 3776 viewsswitchingcode

There will be many clubs in the same boat over the coming months.Just seen our latest accounts without the massive fransfer sales income don’t know about buckets we would require skips
AFC Bournemouth next on 17:17 - Apr 1 with 3685 viewsNorthernr

That's unforgiveable really, like us. Got to the Prem, with all that money sloshing around, and spaffed it all on players, wages and agents. Still the same sht ground, and now absolutely haemoraging money.

I know they're dull but Burnley, Norwich have it spot on.
AFC Bournemouth next on 17:36 - Apr 1 with 3638 viewsphilc

And now Stoke have posted a £87m loss
AFC Bournemouth next on 17:39 - Apr 1 with 3630 viewsdanehoop

I suspect that if there is swathe of losses being reported by clubs now it will likely be a precursor to a decision to drop FFP.

Cue us appealing our own situation and having the fine doubled.

Never knowingly understood

AFC Bournemouth next on 17:50 - Apr 1 with 3583 viewsbollockchops

i remember Jermaine Defoe advertising for a PA for 40k when he played for them,maybe rattle the bucket under his big konk !
Login to get fewer ads

AFC Bournemouth next on 18:26 - Apr 1 with 3489 viewsNorthernr

Kieran Maguire seems to suggest Stoke's accounts are going to show a pre-tax loss of £87m for 2019/20.
AFC Bournemouth next on 18:30 - Apr 1 with 3468 viewsDorse

AFC Bournemouth next on 15:30 - Apr 1 by loftboy

They already are an AFC

Maybe they'll be AFC bargain buckets?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

AFC Bournemouth next on 18:31 - Apr 1 with 3456 viewsDorse

AFC Bournemouth next on 18:26 - Apr 1 by Northernr

Kieran Maguire seems to suggest Stoke's accounts are going to show a pre-tax loss of £87m for 2019/20.

And yet, somehow, some way, the EFL will find a way to blame QPR.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

AFC Bournemouth next on 19:03 - Apr 1 with 3395 viewsswitchingcode

What compacts the finances is the notion that clubs don’t get the transfer monies straight away which in many cases is untrue as they use factoring companies to get the money paid up in full.The same route has been used on parachute payments.
AFC Bournemouth next on 19:04 - Apr 1 with 3398 viewsJuzzie

Get to the PL, take the money and come back down. No way a club like Bournemouth can sustain long term PL tenure with such a small ground. They thought they could, didn’t work and now they’re paying the price. Same place they were six years ago, no bigger ground and a massive debt. Sounds familiar.
AFC Bournemouth next on 19:07 - Apr 1 with 3388 viewsNorthernr

AFC Bournemouth next on 19:04 - Apr 1 by Juzzie

Get to the PL, take the money and come back down. No way a club like Bournemouth can sustain long term PL tenure with such a small ground. They thought they could, didn’t work and now they’re paying the price. Same place they were six years ago, no bigger ground and a massive debt. Sounds familiar.

Invest. In. Infrastructure.

Make sure you come out of it with the best ground, training facilities, scouting, recruitment, youth set up, you can. That stuff will be around for decades, it'll set your club up for life. Shovel it all into the pockets of Joey Barton, Jose Bosingwa, Dominic Solanke, Jack Wilshere, and you're one bad season away from being exactly where you were before, with nothing to show for it, but a mountain more debt, and committed to enormous ongoing overheads.

Norwich and Burnley have both built new training grounds, and invested in stadia, during their most recent yo-yos. Relegation doesn't have to be a disaster, as Norwich have shown, if you stick to the plan.
AFC Bournemouth next on 19:21 - Apr 1 with 3341 viewsdaveB

They had a great opportunity to really build something but struggled to get permission to expand the stadium and never improved the training ground so have done pretty much the same as we did in spending a fortune and coming back with nothing
AFC Bournemouth next on 20:00 - Apr 1 with 3261 viewsNoDiddley

AFC Bournemouth next on 18:26 - Apr 1 by Northernr

I don’t understand Sjoke City posting losses, owned by BET365 the tart who runs them earnt £469 million in salary last year. Mind you the company profit fell to £224 mill due to the pandemic & they’ve got James McLean. So feck em.
AFC Bournemouth next on 20:45 - Apr 1 with 3185 viewsswitchingcode

AFC Bournemouth next on 19:21 - Apr 1 by daveB

They had a great opportunity to really build something but struggled to get permission to expand the stadium and never improved the training ground so have done pretty much the same as we did in spending a fortune and coming back with nothing

To be honest even if they increased their ground capacity from 10 k to 30 k and filled it every home game they would still have massive debts.
AFC Bournemouth next on 20:54 - Apr 1 with 3158 viewsstowmarketrange

AFC Bournemouth next on 19:07 - Apr 1 by Northernr

Invest. In. Infrastructure.

Make sure you come out of it with the best ground, training facilities, scouting, recruitment, youth set up, you can. That stuff will be around for decades, it'll set your club up for life. Shovel it all into the pockets of Joey Barton, Jose Bosingwa, Dominic Solanke, Jack Wilshere, and you're one bad season away from being exactly where you were before, with nothing to show for it, but a mountain more debt, and committed to enormous ongoing overheads.

Norwich and Burnley have both built new training grounds, and invested in stadia, during their most recent yo-yos. Relegation doesn't have to be a disaster, as Norwich have shown, if you stick to the plan.

Would some of our more impatient fans settle for going up and hardly spending a penny,which will lead to almost certain relegation?Unfortunately we got it wrong both times we got promoted.
Fans will only tolerate it for so long I’d guess.
AFC Bournemouth next on 20:57 - Apr 1 with 3158 viewsSuperhoops2808

Serves Bournemouth right!!

How much is Wiltshire on ffs
AFC Bournemouth next on 21:21 - Apr 1 with 3099 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

AFC Bournemouth next on 20:00 - Apr 1 by NoDiddley

I don’t understand Sjoke City posting losses, owned by BET365 the tart who runs them earnt £469 million in salary last year. Mind you the company profit fell to £224 mill due to the pandemic & they’ve got James McLean. So feck em.

I don't think how rich your owners are has anything to do with how great your losses are.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

AFC Bournemouth next on 21:22 - Apr 1 with 3085 viewsted_hendrix

I wonder if rednkapper is still there in an advisory role?

Advising the stupid bastards how to lose money and lie at the same time.

“I've found myself on some days leaving home at three in the morning. I'm outside the training ground at five but they don't open up until seven. I'm just sitting there, listening to the radio.”
-- Harry Redknapp

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

AFC Bournemouth next on 21:39 - Apr 1 with 3025 viewsdanehoop

Sounds like a prostate problem when you read it like that.

Never knowingly understood

AFC Bournemouth next on 08:06 - Apr 2 with 2819 viewsrsonist

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/accounts.13706/

Assuming it's this, the bucket bit was a joke. It's actually a really good read though otherwise.

As said, they are a lot like us, but there's an interesting difference in that they've come to the end of five years at the top they've never had before, their most successful era ever, and have never really been on a secure financial footing anyway.

So while some argue as we do here that it's criminal that the opportunity to invest in infrastructure during that time has been missed and that a return to square one is even a possibility (Brighton, by contrast, will never be Brighton again), there's others that are pretty philosophical about the whole thing and are just grateful it ever happened.

"Before Max took over we were perennially skint and lurching from one financial crisis to the next. He took over and spanked ridiculous amounts of money on the club resulting in it reaching levels most of us, including you, never dreamed of. Many of us were always of the opinion that it was too good to be true and that it would all end in tears. If and when it does end in tears we'll go back to being skint and lurching from one financial crisis to the next. Can you see why some of us have simply sat back and enjoyed the ride? It was brilliant while it lasted and we've not really lost anything."

"It might be a shame that we as fans didn't get the new ground we all wanted but isn't that looking a gift horse in the mouth?"

"What I don't I understand is all of these people who have watched the guy preside our most successful ever period and then declare that his strategy was all wrong. [...] I would have loved the infrastructure. In fact I dare say I'd have preferred a bigger ground even if it meant we'd never got to the top flight but it's not my money. So whilst it wasn't perfect it was pretty close to it given what the previous 20 years were like."

That last one's from SlowDownDerek on that thread who is putting in a formidable innings on an unusual position. A kind of neo-Stainrods "fans should only care about the football not the boardroom" crossed with a vaguely nihilist libertarian "the owner's entitled to do what he likes" tip, but he gives it some teeth too (there's an added relevance to ourselves given they also have a question mark over a ceiling on the fanbase and whether a larger stadium is even appropriate beyond the extra corp hospitality revenue):

"He's saying that Max's debt position is a bad thing and he's suggesting that he should have invested money differently. I asked him what Max's incentive to invest in a new stadium is and I'd ask you the same thing. What is the tangible return on the stadium investment?

"We either get relegated or we don't. He invested in players that can be sold upon relegation to minimise losses. Obviously this isn't an option with a new stadium and is the reason a lot of clubs who built new grounds went bust once they got relegated. Gate receipts are likely to fall drastically upon relegation both in terms of attendances, ticket prices and corporate income. This increasing the fan base might be a good strategy long-term from a fan's perspective but does it actually add up when you look at the numbers?

Max obviously chose a more short-term way of looking at it and wanted to maximise income by staying up. He might have been wrong, it certainly is disappointing from a fans perspective but, as I say, it's his money on the line and his debt to pay back. Massive stadium debt is not self-sustainable either - this is the crux of it."

"How does spending money on infrastructure make the club self sustainable? It would increase debt from the outset and would need to be accompanied by a large increase in revenues to improve the self-sustaining principle you advocate. There's big question marks over how much this infrastructure would boost revenues.

"It's a myth that investing £30m+ on a training ground and god-knows-what on a new ground would put us on a secure financial footing. Both would add massive amounts to the debt and not yield a reliable increase in income. I doubt post-relegation gate receipts in a bigger ground would be much higher than the £5m we got in the PL, is it any wonder he prioritised the playing side of things?"

"In many ways it doesn't matter where the cash comes from - if the return is less than investing in something risk-free then you're losing money however you look at it. Investing in the ground was ways going to be writing the money off unless they could fund in through development or public money like many other clubs."

Another poster reasonably splits the difference:

"Re long term vision, seemed like the plan was to establish us in the Prem by recruiting talented youngsters (kelly, solanke, cook, mepham etc) to replace the old guard and then begin to invest in infrastructure (eg training ground) when don’t need to keep buying players or sell a star here and there. Thus clearly prioritised playing staff to keep us with the tv stream.

what was unexpected was relegation last season - that shouldn’t have happened. It has happened so needs a plan b approach.

I think there was a long term plan but people are now criticising max given that we have deviated from it mid journey. That isn’t Max’s fault. Need to look at Eddie and especially players last season."

[Post edited 2 Apr 2021 8:09]
AFC Bournemouth next on 10:42 - Apr 2 with 2639 viewsthemodfather

the "premier league dream"?????
basically a financial mess for teams going up, fair play rules were not set up as fans hoped. we wanted a level playing field, a chance to dream of competing with the big boys, like we did in the 75 era, ipswich in the late 70s, etc
man city were a youth development and pi55 poor for decades, but an oil sheikh comes in and buys up titles and its ok! same for the raci5t lot from the bridge .....
AFC Bournemouth next on 17:30 - Apr 2 with 2384 viewsPinnerPaul

Well, I remember being shot down in flames on here a while ago, when I was a little sceptical about the lavish praise heaped on Mr Howe after I pointed out they were in fact in the top 6 or some such for player spend/wages.

Its been mentioned above, lots of other clubs have done much better whilst spending far less money.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024