Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European super league 15:28 - Apr 18 with 52707 viewsqpr_1968

can anyone see it taking off.
talks of 6 clubs from the premier.
on sky news now.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

European super league on 08:28 - Apr 20 with 1828 viewsPhildo

European super league on 07:41 - Apr 20 by stevec

Totally agree with that yet it’s surprising how many supporters are, at best, luke warm about any wage cap.

In the end it’s players inflated salaries that are driving footballs problems.

the superleague proposals include a 55% wages to turnover cap. All 12 clubs lose money so are trying to do what the NFL do in getting wages controlled and driving guaranteed profitability. If they league is a success of course they will expand it and leave domestic leagues behind.
European super league on 08:28 - Apr 20 with 1825 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

European super league on 07:41 - Apr 20 by stevec

Totally agree with that yet it’s surprising how many supporters are, at best, luke warm about any wage cap.

In the end it’s players inflated salaries that are driving footballs problems.

It’s shitty owners that ruin Football Clubs not player’s wages in isolation.

A Wage Cap won’t stop asset stripping and property flipping.

A blanket and beefed up law against against endangering community assets (from pubs to football clubs) would solve the problem, and ergo, enforce a wage cap by necessity.

On it’s own it’s toothless and actually illegal.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 10:28]
European super league on 09:09 - Apr 20 with 1685 viewsThe_Beast1976

European super league on 07:14 - Apr 20 by Konk

Real Madrid President Florentino Perez said the decision to create the new league, which his club would be a part of, was in part taken because "young people are no longer interested" in the game.
He told a Spanish TV show: "Audiences are decreasing and rights are decreasing and something had to be done. We are all ruined. Television has to change so we can adapt."

Maybe they’d be more interested if they hadn’t been consciously priced-out of the stadiums, and if they could watch games on free-to-air TV? Out of sight, out of mind...

These clubs that are always breathlessly announcing record turnovers, have simultaneously managed to accumulate record debts, but everything would be fine if they could only have a bit more TV cash. The one thing that would help these clubs would be a genuine, vaguely sensible salary cap, but that would erode the advantages afforded them by FFP, and increase competition, so they’d never agree to that. Ozil on £350kpw at 9th place Arsenal sums it all up - give them a bit more money and watch as they pay someone else £450kpw whilst finishing 9th in an exhibition league.

I feel sorry for their genuine fans, and the whole league would be a bloodbath, but I would just fu ck them off now. The game is fuc ked as it is and completely unsustainable - something approaching sanity might be restored. Long term the game might be stronger if our top two leagues saw a substantial drop in income, with salaries reflecting that.

I don't feel that sorry for the genuine fans. At the end of the day this whole thing largely comes back to their doorstep. This was always going to happen. What else did they expect when welcoming rich foreign owners with open arms, expecting them to spend ever more ridiculous amounts on players, and consequently making football more about tv deals and armchair fans around the globe to pay for it all rather than being about fans who attend matches? They could have stopped it, but instead they actively encouraged it. You reap what you sow!!

This will be the best thing to happen to football in this country in two generations if these 6 clubs are hoofed out of all domestic competitions
[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 9:16]
European super league on 09:39 - Apr 20 with 1636 viewsloftboy

European super league on 23:04 - Apr 19 by ManinBlack

I don't understand the argument about relegation. I can't imagine these 12 clubs getting relegated in my lifetime so I don't see the relevance of potential relegation mucking up their finances.

3 of them have in mine

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

European super league on 09:47 - Apr 20 with 1606 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Apologies if already mentioned, but the US banks driving this apparently as the Dirty Dozen owe them ridiculous sums of cash.

If I were the footy authorities, I’d call their bluff.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

European super league on 09:51 - Apr 20 with 1607 viewsderbyhoop

Most of us are approaching this from the viewpoint of fans who go to watch games at the grounds.
This proposal is all about TV money coming from "fans" in China, SE Asia, etc.

Most of them couldn't find their way to the ground if a taxi dropped them outside.

Even now, for the biggest clubs, people actually going to stadia is a trivial part of their income stream. So they don't care, apart from it being a better spectacle when fans are cheering.

The big issue is the closed shop nature of the proposal. I can remember Spurs and Man Utd being relegated and Man City in the 3rd tier. Nothing lasts for ever. The exclusion of European Cup winners like Forest and Villa and recent PL winners Leicester devalues the whole exercise for genuine fans who relish competition.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

European super league on 09:54 - Apr 20 with 1594 viewsstowmarketrange

European super league on 09:39 - Apr 20 by loftboy

3 of them have in mine

And Arsenal were pretty close to getting relegated in 1976.
European super league on 10:04 - Apr 20 with 1554 viewsCamberleyR

Very good article here by John Nicholson:

https://www.football365.com/news/big-six-european-super-league-john-nicholson

Much like what Clive wrote in his match preview and absolutely spot on.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 10:23]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

European super league on 10:14 - Apr 20 with 1541 viewsCamberleyR

European super league on 09:39 - Apr 20 by loftboy

3 of them have in mine

Four?

I was born 1965 and in my lifetime there's been:

Man U - 1973/74

Spurs - 1976/77

Man City - 1982/83 (David Pleat running on the pitch), 1986/87, 1995/96, 1997/98 (Jamie Pollock), 2000/01

ch*ls** - 1974/75, 1978/79, 1987/88

European super league on 10:28 - Apr 20 with 1498 viewsterryb

European super league on 10:14 - Apr 20 by CamberleyR

Four?

I was born 1965 and in my lifetime there's been:

Man U - 1973/74

Spurs - 1976/77

Man City - 1982/83 (David Pleat running on the pitch), 1986/87, 1995/96, 1997/98 (Jamie Pollock), 2000/01

ch*ls** - 1974/75, 1978/79, 1987/88

Plus Juventus were relegated in Italy for financial reasons (guilty of bribery?)

I'm probably wrong, but at the back of my mind something is telling me that Atletico have also gone down.
European super league on 10:29 - Apr 20 with 1488 viewsQPR_John

European super league on 23:04 - Apr 19 by ManinBlack

I don't understand the argument about relegation. I can't imagine these 12 clubs getting relegated in my lifetime so I don't see the relevance of potential relegation mucking up their finances.

They wont get relegated because of the money they have to spend to get the best players. That is the point of this super league they do not want to get relegated but also they dont want tp spend vast sums on players. Once this American model gets up and running after a few years they will introduce the draft system. I read somewhere it is impossible for owners to lose money in the NFL.
European super league on 10:35 - Apr 20 with 1444 viewsPhildo

European super league on 10:29 - Apr 20 by QPR_John

They wont get relegated because of the money they have to spend to get the best players. That is the point of this super league they do not want to get relegated but also they dont want tp spend vast sums on players. Once this American model gets up and running after a few years they will introduce the draft system. I read somewhere it is impossible for owners to lose money in the NFL.

Perhaps the EFL and the remainder of the premier league could reunite and admit 6 pheonix clubs with fan ownership on Ground shares with existing clubs. That might alarm certain people.
European super league on 10:36 - Apr 20 with 1437 viewsCamberleyR

European super league on 10:28 - Apr 20 by terryb

Plus Juventus were relegated in Italy for financial reasons (guilty of bribery?)

I'm probably wrong, but at the back of my mind something is telling me that Atletico have also gone down.

Yes, Wiki says 1999/00

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999%E2%80%932000_La_Liga#League_table

AC Milan also got relegated in 1981/82

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981%E2%80%9382_Serie_A
[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 10:40]

European super league on 10:37 - Apr 20 with 1433 viewsstowmarketrange

European super league on 10:28 - Apr 20 by terryb

They were relegated in 2000,and under investigation for financial irregularities.
European super league on 10:43 - Apr 20 with 1406 viewsDubaiR

I say kick them out, wrestle back control. Short term pain would mean longer term gain. End up with a more competitive league, more teams capable of winning the league and they would surely end up attracting players from the self proclaimed big 6
European super league on 10:43 - Apr 20 with 1405 viewsSott

One big six board member quoted as saying they expected backlash, don't care,if allowed to stay in league will field weakened teams to play best assets on esl Wednesdays and will walk out if pushed as amounts offered in esl so large,don't want to release players for internationals anyway, so no skin off nose
European super league on 10:54 - Apr 20 with 1358 viewsJuzzie

European super league on 07:14 - Apr 20 by Konk

Real Madrid President Florentino Perez said the decision to create the new league, which his club would be a part of, was in part taken because "young people are no longer interested" in the game.
He told a Spanish TV show: "Audiences are decreasing and rights are decreasing and something had to be done. We are all ruined. Television has to change so we can adapt."

Maybe they’d be more interested if they hadn’t been consciously priced-out of the stadiums, and if they could watch games on free-to-air TV? Out of sight, out of mind...

These clubs that are always breathlessly announcing record turnovers, have simultaneously managed to accumulate record debts, but everything would be fine if they could only have a bit more TV cash. The one thing that would help these clubs would be a genuine, vaguely sensible salary cap, but that would erode the advantages afforded them by FFP, and increase competition, so they’d never agree to that. Ozil on £350kpw at 9th place Arsenal sums it all up - give them a bit more money and watch as they pay someone else £450kpw whilst finishing 9th in an exhibition league.

I feel sorry for their genuine fans, and the whole league would be a bloodbath, but I would just fu ck them off now. The game is fuc ked as it is and completely unsustainable - something approaching sanity might be restored. Long term the game might be stronger if our top two leagues saw a substantial drop in income, with salaries reflecting that.

I saw Perez's comments this morning;

"European Super League created to 'save football' - Real Madrid president Florentino Perez"

Utterly staggering and quite simply a blatant lie to get what he/they wants.

Here's how we save football in one easy step: Significantly lower player salaries.

That's it. I don't give a fk what the likes of Gordon Taylor (Ret.) thinks. The salaries they get paid (I refuse to use the term 'earn') is killing the game. Bring them back to more reasonable levels and the knock-on effect will take care of itself in terms of reduced ticket, merchandise, catering etc prices.

It'll bring fans back into the grounds for those than can and want to go.
Reduce TV subscription prices for those that don't/can't.

Everything that has been done up to this point in terms of ticket, merchandise etc. prices has been about pure greed, nothing else. Anything they say/have said is just utter BS.
European super league on 10:54 - Apr 20 with 1353 viewsdaveB

European super league on 10:43 - Apr 20 by Sott

One big six board member quoted as saying they expected backlash, don't care,if allowed to stay in league will field weakened teams to play best assets on esl Wednesdays and will walk out if pushed as amounts offered in esl so large,don't want to release players for internationals anyway, so no skin off nose

Where this will all fall apart is when one of the teams bottle goes, my money is on Man City, or when the penny drops that they need to find 8 more clubs to join this and having seen the reaction you'd have to be mad to sign up now
European super league on 10:58 - Apr 20 with 1339 viewsMaggsinho

European super league on 10:54 - Apr 20 by daveB

Where this will all fall apart is when one of the teams bottle goes, my money is on Man City, or when the penny drops that they need to find 8 more clubs to join this and having seen the reaction you'd have to be mad to sign up now

From The Guardian's live blog, sounds like some cold feet already.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2021/apr/20/european-super-league-back

Sky’s Kaveh Solhekol reports that among the six ESL clubs, there are differing opinions, with some unhappy with how this has been handled and saying “this isn’t what we signed up for”. They were expecting a controlled media policy, is “shocked and taken aback” at the lack of a media policy, and unhappy at players, managers, and some board members being kept in the dark. Clubs involved aren’t close to pulling the plan ... “not yet”.
European super league on 10:58 - Apr 20 with 1338 viewsjoe90

Couldn't believe my ears this morning when listening to radio 4. They were talking to a Liverpool fan called 'Dave' from Uganda who was in support of the ESL. No offence to Dave (in case you're reading this) but your opinion shouldn't count for anything. It's astonishing that foreign fans with absolutely no care for the heritage of the sport are given the time of day. But that's the reality of supporting one of the 'big six'.
European super league on 11:09 - Apr 20 with 1295 viewsSott

Good shout,rumours that City were reluctant but didn't want to miss the boat so definitely shaky
European super league on 11:14 - Apr 20 with 1270 viewsKonk

I think you're right. City's owners have principally bought the club for good PR and to boost their global standing. This has been an unmitigated PR disaster to date and won't be forgotten in a hurry. Best now to be the first club to give it the old, "We thought this was an exciting opportunity, but we have clearly misjudged the public mood - we're very sorry, now can we all just forget about it?".

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

European super league on 11:24 - Apr 20 with 1233 viewsphilc

European super league on 11:09 - Apr 20 by Sott

Good shout,rumours that City were reluctant but didn't want to miss the boat so definitely shaky

That’s what saw this morning, also saw the same with Chelsea, which makes sense.

It was driven by the American owned clubs whose owners only see them as a way of making money.
European super league on 11:25 - Apr 20 with 1228 viewsPBLOCK

European super league on 10:58 - Apr 20 by joe90

Couldn't believe my ears this morning when listening to radio 4. They were talking to a Liverpool fan called 'Dave' from Uganda who was in support of the ESL. No offence to Dave (in case you're reading this) but your opinion shouldn't count for anything. It's astonishing that foreign fans with absolutely no care for the heritage of the sport are given the time of day. But that's the reality of supporting one of the 'big six'.

It’s the appetite of Dave’s around the world that has kicked this off

In Africa, Asia and going forward the US the market is huge and people will pay a premium to watch those clubs. The average Liverpool, Spurs fan who goes to the game is dispensable because if they can’t afford to go anymore or stop going as they disagree with this they are easily replaceable.

These clubs are more interested in the Dave’s of this world than the likes of you or me
European super league on 11:28 - Apr 20 with 1208 viewswood_hoop

European super league on 10:58 - Apr 20 by joe90

This may be an unseen downfall, maybe not for a while but the 'heritage' of the game lies with English clubs having a very deep routed competitive edge to many games due to where a club actually is in the country.

We despise Chelsea, Brentford despise us, it goes backs decades, its the same around the country, just as much venom in many a game played wether in a huge urbanisation with two city clubs or two local market towns meeting on a cow patch of a field.

How can that be transfered between Dave from Uganda and Ahmed from Dubai ?

The internet will no doubt bring out the keyboard warriors but how can they convey the real animosity ( sporting) between many clubs ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024