Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European super league 15:28 - Apr 18 with 51418 viewsqpr_1968

can anyone see it taking off.
talks of 6 clubs from the premier.
on sky news now.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

European super league on 12:06 - Apr 19 with 1849 viewsstowmarketrange

If it does happen,how are they going to replace players with new ones?If the clubs say “come and play for us,but you’ll have to give up any ideas of playing for your country”,they’ll have to pay them even more stupid amounts of cash to sign up.It will be like the Chinese league,with only a few aging stars signing on for a last pay cheque.
And if the best players all play in this new league,what will be the point of having a World Cup which will be devalued because it won’t be to the same standard that it’s always been?

It’s a real can of worms.Part of me wants to see it happen so that these 12 clubs can fall flat on their faces,but the other part thinks it won’t be good in the long run for world football.
European super league on 12:18 - Apr 19 with 1787 viewsdenhamhoop2

European super league on 09:20 - Apr 19 by BrianMcCarthy

All this kind of ignores the inconvenient fact that two things have ruined English football - the Premier League and FFP - and Rangers have voted for both. We'd have voted for this too if it suited us.

Did David Bulstrode not play a very large part in negotiating for The Premiership not long after trying to create Fulham Park Rangers
European super league on 12:19 - Apr 19 with 1774 viewsdenhamhoop2

It does kind of remind me of the Packer affair in Cricket in 1977
European super league on 12:24 - Apr 19 with 1726 viewsderbyhoop

If the Super League clubs want to compete in their own domestic leagues and the law allows that, there is a solution.
Hey Chelsea, you are scheduled to play Barca on Tuesday 10 October. How are you going to fit in the away game at Burnley that the PL have scheduled for the same night. And, no, we're not going to change our schedule.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

European super league on 12:28 - Apr 19 with 1705 viewsloftboy

We e picked up more silverware than spuds in the last ten years!!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

European super league on 12:29 - Apr 19 with 1704 viewsrsonist

European super league on 19:56 - Apr 18 by rsonist

Are traditional fans sustainable? E-sports, gaming, digital interaction, celebrity entertainment over sport... there's a reason this is seen as football's Napster moment. US private equity will pour billions into getting another NFL/NBA off the ground, and the rest will be hyperlocal college sport.

Ward this off and there's still the FIFA Club World Cup reforms on the horizon that Infantino is getting his ducks in a row for as a rival grab for UEFA/CONMEBOL money.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/04/19/super-league-will-force-fans-pic

Content is its present and future.[...] It is the new currency of football, advertising vehicle, propaganda tool and money-spinner all rolled into one.
It is made for a target market who have engaged almost exclusively with the game on TV, online or playing Fifa. There are far more of 'them' than 'us'.

European super league on 12:31 - Apr 19 with 1697 viewsrsonist

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/20/football-tv-manchester-city-wat

For all the talk about the gap between the best and the rest growing too wide, the evidence suggests that many TV viewers do not really care.

The respected academics Babatunde Buraimo and Rob Simmons have noted that until 2004 British TV viewers prized uncertainty in Premier League matches over everything else. However, since then, they argue, audiences have developed a preference for games involving high-level players most of all — and, crucially, that it does not matter how that talent is distributed across the two sides.

So what might explain this change in attitudes? It might partly be generational. Buraimo tells me that he and his colleagues are working on modelling TV audiences for football by different groups (such as sex, age, and socio-economic status), to dig deeper. The early signs are that older viewers have a preference for uncertainty of outcome but for younger viewers unpredictability does not influence viewing behaviour.
European super league on 12:33 - Apr 19 with 1679 viewsDannyPaddox

In politics - suggesting extreme policies so that less extreme (but still extreme) policies appear to be a middle-ground compromise is called pushing the Overton window

A similar principle in football should be called pushing the Everton Window.

Although I’m not sure if it means Everton will stand more or less of a chance of winning anything.
Login to get fewer ads

European super league on 12:34 - Apr 19 with 1677 viewsRs_Holy

European super league on 12:06 - Apr 19 by stowmarketrange

If it does happen,how are they going to replace players with new ones?If the clubs say “come and play for us,but you’ll have to give up any ideas of playing for your country”,they’ll have to pay them even more stupid amounts of cash to sign up.It will be like the Chinese league,with only a few aging stars signing on for a last pay cheque.
And if the best players all play in this new league,what will be the point of having a World Cup which will be devalued because it won’t be to the same standard that it’s always been?

It’s a real can of worms.Part of me wants to see it happen so that these 12 clubs can fall flat on their faces,but the other part thinks it won’t be good in the long run for world football.

£££££££ ... Some players will sign if its lucrative enough. I remember when Oscar left Chelsh!te to ply his trade in China... Seemed like a strange move to me and many wondered what his motivation was? His first tweet when he got there was "I am now the third highest paid footballer in the World"... Congratulations Oscar on this massive achievement.
European super league on 12:37 - Apr 19 with 1647 viewsrsonist

UEFA approves new 36 team "Swiss Model" 2024 Champions League with historical elite club byes, meanwhile, as if the alternative/status quo isn't already fcked beyond repair.
European super league on 12:45 - Apr 19 with 1603 viewsrsonist

It's a strange kind of bittersweet that this explodes at the end of a weekend where Rangers have reminded us that playing good football and just being fun FFS can transcend being midtable in Championship, and is something to be grateful for and proud of. It's not everything, but it's much, much more than we often realise. Ambishun indeed.
European super league on 12:52 - Apr 19 with 1563 viewsdmm

European super league on 11:10 - Apr 19 by DannyPaddox

Isn’t this just capitalism?

Indeed it is, Danny. Making the super rich elite even more wealthy to the detriment of everyone else is a pretty good example of capitalism.
European super league on 12:57 - Apr 19 with 1529 viewsNorthernr

European super league on 12:37 - Apr 19 by rsonist

UEFA approves new 36 team "Swiss Model" 2024 Champions League with historical elite club byes, meanwhile, as if the alternative/status quo isn't already fcked beyond repair.

You see this will look passable in comparison, which is what I think this is all about. Ok we won't don that massive sht thing you hate, we'll just do this instead, which is still quite sht.
European super league on 13:00 - Apr 19 with 1514 viewscharmr

Sadly is all about the plague of the rotting corpse of so called corporate thinking and development,

SHAREHOLDERS
European super league on 13:02 - Apr 19 with 1504 viewsBostonR

Well, they say even bad press is good for your product but these clubs have really under-estimated the adverse reaction.
Having lived in the US, this is just another NFL set-up. No relegation, worst team gets the best players, time-outs and no 0-0 outcomes and how long before ads are shown between stoppages in play?
European super league on 13:07 - Apr 19 with 1477 viewsRangersDave

European super league on 03:20 - Apr 19 by strikerace

Shocked Brentford wasn't one of the teams

or european champions, Leeds!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

European super league on 13:07 - Apr 19 with 1478 viewsKonk

European super league on 12:52 - Apr 19 by dmm

Indeed it is, Danny. Making the super rich elite even more wealthy to the detriment of everyone else is a pretty good example of capitalism.

It might not ultimately make much of a difference, but this morning my representatives notified each of the breakaway clubs, that I have asked not to be considered for any management or playing roles with said clubs. Managing Real Madrid at this juncture would sit uncomfortably with me, in light of yesterday's developments.

I have no further comments to add for now. Thank you.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

European super league on 13:16 - Apr 19 with 1417 viewsCiderwithRsie

European super league on 12:37 - Apr 19 by rsonist

What the hell is a Swiss model?

And no, this is not an attempt to smuggle in Tit Tuesday under another name.
European super league on 13:17 - Apr 19 with 1411 viewsstevec

European super league on 12:31 - Apr 19 by rsonist

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/20/football-tv-manchester-city-wat

For all the talk about the gap between the best and the rest growing too wide, the evidence suggests that many TV viewers do not really care.

The respected academics Babatunde Buraimo and Rob Simmons have noted that until 2004 British TV viewers prized uncertainty in Premier League matches over everything else. However, since then, they argue, audiences have developed a preference for games involving high-level players most of all — and, crucially, that it does not matter how that talent is distributed across the two sides.

So what might explain this change in attitudes? It might partly be generational. Buraimo tells me that he and his colleagues are working on modelling TV audiences for football by different groups (such as sex, age, and socio-economic status), to dig deeper. The early signs are that older viewers have a preference for uncertainty of outcome but for younger viewers unpredictability does not influence viewing behaviour.

I’ll need a graph to understand that
European super league on 13:18 - Apr 19 with 1408 viewscharmr

Now living in the US agree with BostonR. This is such a US thinking model. CEO,s have to justify what they do and how much they get paid by producing higher and better figures.

This economic practice seems so basic and redundant to me. Guy in the bakery spouting off about how he was a republican and just got his $600 stimulus bonus from the democrats. Then going on about he was a republican because they support Companies because they are job creators.

Firstly the goverment gave you the money and if you think big companies and give a shit about you and continually suppress a call for a $15 min wage I don’t know what to tell you.

This business model and practice seems to be the go to in terms of modern life and economic practices now it’s going after Football.

Just part of the plan to paint the world Beige
European super league on 13:23 - Apr 19 with 1370 viewsBklynRanger

European super league on 12:31 - Apr 19 by rsonist

Finally the curmudgeonly feelings I have towards young people have a basis in science.
European super league on 13:25 - Apr 19 with 1355 viewsCiderwithRsie

European super league on 12:19 - Apr 19 by denhamhoop2

It does kind of remind me of the Packer affair in Cricket in 1977

Hmm.

If so we might notice that cricket is now essentially what Packer proposed, only more so.

Not sure it is, though, cricketers were ludicrously underpaid in the 70s which was how Packer was able to shake things up (plus, whatever his faults, he genuinely loved the game and knew what he was about, not sure that applies to anyone involved in this shemozzle)
European super league on 13:28 - Apr 19 with 1338 viewsRangersDave

if the 'big 6' have signed a deal, its done...... this isnt a matter for debate, they have shat on every other PL club and everyone below.

They must be thrown out this minute, no delay, get rid, expunge, done. leaving Leicester and wet spam to fight the PL out this season, then summer reset! sorted!

Klop, if he's honest will have to go today. if not, he's a falshood of 'honesty' and friendliness.

Sod it.....fcuk em all, and fcuk them all now!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

European super league on 13:33 - Apr 19 with 1312 viewsBklynRanger

European super league on 10:57 - Apr 19 by joe90

Worse still will be the insufferable media coverage of it all and the false platitudes. You can just imagine when a team is lucky enough to qualify to play the big six some dopey commentator talking about what momentous day for the club, a dream come true for the fans etc.

What really gets me, despite whatever this is actually about is the fact these clubs are saying in a roundabout way playing us is as good as it gets. Forget the history and heritage of the various domestic/European cups/leagues, we're what it's all about.

That's a good point - basically they've decided whose best, and that best will be the official best, in conjunction with the various corporate sponsorships (who are also the best) from now on. The rest of us can simply look on in awe at these titans of the game.

And wait till they start cross fertilising with each other - churning out giant six-toed Euro Super babies, all housed on a climate controlled deck of the Euro Tetrahedron Superyacht, feasting on live shrimp and muscle milk.
European super league on 13:34 - Apr 19 with 1306 viewsMrSheen

European super league on 13:07 - Apr 19 by Konk

It might not ultimately make much of a difference, but this morning my representatives notified each of the breakaway clubs, that I have asked not to be considered for any management or playing roles with said clubs. Managing Real Madrid at this juncture would sit uncomfortably with me, in light of yesterday's developments.

I have no further comments to add for now. Thank you.

On the contrary, I informed my employers that despite signing up for a European Super League, I still expect them to keep paying me as normal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024