Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European super league 15:28 - Apr 18 with 51391 viewsqpr_1968

can anyone see it taking off.
talks of 6 clubs from the premier.
on sky news now.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

European super league on 20:22 - Apr 18 with 2357 viewsMrSheen

European super league on 20:09 - Apr 18 by Wegerles_Stairs

Without the likes of Bayern it looks pretty pathetic. Three of the English teams are Europa League giants. I hate what football has become as much as the next old git but this is a new nadir. Clubs like Ajax who won the European Cup three years in a row aren't in this 'super' league and Spurs are.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 20:10]

Bayern will have to compete for players with Barca and City when they’re playing Anderlecht and Fenerbahce. Probably won’t go anywhere, just a ploy to prise more money out of UEFA.

There’s a Japanese investment company called SoftBank with billions to invest in new media, much of if from Arab Sovereign Wealth Funds. Apparently they have been hovering over football for some time, looking to make a splash. No conception of tradition or integrity, all about “content”.

PSG are in with the Qataris, it wouldn’t surprise me if Softbank’s Saudi and Emiraiti backers insisted they were excluded.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 20:34]
European super league on 20:25 - Apr 18 with 2330 viewscharmr

Nothing to do with the teams and what country they reside in.

All about fans/customers outside of the UK
European super league on 20:25 - Apr 18 with 2326 viewsgazza1

It wont happen!!!
European super league on 20:29 - Apr 18 with 2299 viewsManinBlack

Best bit was at the end of Neville's comments about relegating United, Liverpool and Arsenal instead of Fulham on top of heavy fines and point deductions.

Money corrupted the game and when you have mega rich owners in other countries in control of clubs this is what happens. They have no affinity with us or this country, they own clubs like a plaything to get richer. The belief with the big clubs is they think people will only want to watch Man City v Chelsea and won't be interested in Leicester v Southampton.

I do scoff at the Premier league talking about open competition and other clubs climbing to the top when since 1992 the changes brought in have been to the detriment to most clubs ability to keep up with the so called big 6.
European super league on 20:30 - Apr 18 with 2292 viewsdaveB

European super league on 19:55 - Apr 18 by BrianMcCarthy

So do I, Dave.

But ironies abound, all the same.

Sky are the easy target for the evils of the game, they provide the money just as other broadcasters did in the 70's and 80's for live games.
It's always been about how that money is spent and it's been the clubs and club owners who have caused the most damage to football over the last 30 years

Football fans never help themselves though with regards tv companies, whenever games are shown on free to air tv such as the Champions League until a few years back or England games or the FA Cup you get people losing their shit saying the coverage is terrible and I wish it was on Sky.
European super league on 20:38 - Apr 18 with 2247 viewsderbyhoop

The clubs don't need fans in the grounds if they can keep hoovering up the TV money. But remember when City were in the 3rd tier and Chelsea ere playing in front of 8,000. Success isn't sustainable even for the biggest clubs.
Where do the likes of Leicester, who have won the PL in recent times, and this year's West Ham fit in to this European Super League. Especially if the likes of Bayern and PSG are not involved.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

European super league on 20:38 - Apr 18 with 2244 viewsted_hendrix

European super league on 19:45 - Apr 18 by QPRSteve

Tottenham? Tottenham? fücks sake

You have to remember that Tottenham have a cheese room, the only football club in the universe to have a cheese room.

'It includes the kind of attention to detail that offers a cheese room for clients to select their own specially sourced half-time cheeses.

The cheese room alone is more than enough to gain Tottenham Hotspur entry into the European Super League.

Cheese board, I'm selecting my very own specially sourced half-time cheeses.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

European super league on 20:44 - Apr 18 with 2211 viewsBrianMcCarthy

European super league on 20:30 - Apr 18 by daveB

Sky are the easy target for the evils of the game, they provide the money just as other broadcasters did in the 70's and 80's for live games.
It's always been about how that money is spent and it's been the clubs and club owners who have caused the most damage to football over the last 30 years

Football fans never help themselves though with regards tv companies, whenever games are shown on free to air tv such as the Champions League until a few years back or England games or the FA Cup you get people losing their shit saying the coverage is terrible and I wish it was on Sky.

I think that's all perfectly fair, Dave, except that Sky did support (and in some ways facilitate) the original Greedy Football Breakaway in the shape of the Premier League. So any preaching, no matter how accurate on Sky about another Greedy Football Breakaway strikes me as ironic.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

European super league on 20:44 - Apr 18 with 2208 viewsMrSheen

Interesting precedent of a Packer-style breakaway in Colombia that was crushed by universal sanctions against the players in the 40s and 50s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Dorado_(Colombian_football)

England’s disastrous performance in the 1950 World Cup was blamed in part on bans against players who dared leave the English game in search of more than £10 a week, though other countries suffered more. What’s more extraordinary was that they went to Colombia during an era that even the locals called La Violencia, which gives you an idea of how bad it was.
European super league on 20:47 - Apr 18 with 2192 viewsTacticalR

'The impetus for the breakaway league is thought to have come from the Real Madrid president, Florentino Pérez, although Liverpool’s John W Henry, Joel Glazer of Manchester United, the Arsenal owner, Stan Kroenke, and Andrea Agnelli of Juventus have been touted as potential vice-chairmen of the new competition, which would be financed by the US banking giant JP Morgan.'

Premier League condemns European super league after English clubs sign up
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/18/five-english-clubs-sign-up-to-e

Air hostess clique

European super league on 20:55 - Apr 18 with 2150 viewsNorthernr

European super league on 20:47 - Apr 18 by TacticalR

'The impetus for the breakaway league is thought to have come from the Real Madrid president, Florentino Pérez, although Liverpool’s John W Henry, Joel Glazer of Manchester United, the Arsenal owner, Stan Kroenke, and Andrea Agnelli of Juventus have been touted as potential vice-chairmen of the new competition, which would be financed by the US banking giant JP Morgan.'

Premier League condemns European super league after English clubs sign up
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/18/five-english-clubs-sign-up-to-e

I find this idea that Arsenal and Tottenham have any business being associated with a league of European super powers hilarious. Alright lads, we've all had a drink.
European super league on 20:59 - Apr 18 with 2131 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Spurs.

Last League 1961
Last Cup 1991
Last Silverware of any kind - more than a decade.

In reply to Clive's post - apologies.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 20:59]

European super league on 21:00 - Apr 18 with 2123 viewsVancouverHoop

I wonder where they'll get match officials from? I can't see FIFA and UEFA undermining their own competitions by allowing their own referees to moonlight for their competitors.
European super league on 21:01 - Apr 18 with 2111 viewsloftboy

European super league on 21:00 - Apr 18 by VancouverHoop

I wonder where they'll get match officials from? I can't see FIFA and UEFA undermining their own competitions by allowing their own referees to moonlight for their competitors.

No doubt the power of ££££ will persuade some to join in with the farce

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

European super league on 21:03 - Apr 18 with 2101 viewsdigswellhoop

if it does go ahead ban them from buying our players
remember where Harry kane EZE STARTED all lower league ban the super league no transfers from our leagues
European super league on 21:08 - Apr 18 with 2085 viewspaulparker

It’s a given that the big clubs will go
But Spurs !!! Fcuking Spurs voting on this, this lot haven’t won a trophy since 2007 ? Haven’t won the league in over 50 years , hardly featured in the champions league in the last 20 years but they have a vote ?? WTF, seriously fcuk off Tottenham

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

European super league on 21:10 - Apr 18 with 2073 viewsRangersDave

simple fact is, that if these 'big' 6 have signed, then i would sack them off immediately.

Deduct all their points for the season, and give an immediate 5 league relegation.

If they want to return, i'd start them at the bottom of the bottomest leagues under FFP constraints that limit their spend on players wages to £500 per week per player with no enhancements to that wage by any back door.

i'd limit crowds to each home game to the average for the league they are in, limit sponsorship to the average amount of the league they are in etc.

They would have to pay, but not play any high earners still on contract, and they would be made to cut squad sizes to non league sizes. high earners would count against the agreed wage spend under my FFP rules and they would be fined sh1t loads if they broke them.

so basically 'reset' them no non league status for as long as it takes for them to trim their teams and cash spend / income accordingly.

Feck em!
I bet the leagues clubs are thinking this is a chance to 'put things right', and all the livercityunitedhotspurenal fans can go and Fcuk themselves finding money to see their teams play away ever other week.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

European super league on 21:24 - Apr 18 with 2000 viewsMrSheen

European super league on 21:10 - Apr 18 by RangersDave

simple fact is, that if these 'big' 6 have signed, then i would sack them off immediately.

Deduct all their points for the season, and give an immediate 5 league relegation.

If they want to return, i'd start them at the bottom of the bottomest leagues under FFP constraints that limit their spend on players wages to £500 per week per player with no enhancements to that wage by any back door.

i'd limit crowds to each home game to the average for the league they are in, limit sponsorship to the average amount of the league they are in etc.

They would have to pay, but not play any high earners still on contract, and they would be made to cut squad sizes to non league sizes. high earners would count against the agreed wage spend under my FFP rules and they would be fined sh1t loads if they broke them.

so basically 'reset' them no non league status for as long as it takes for them to trim their teams and cash spend / income accordingly.

Feck em!
I bet the leagues clubs are thinking this is a chance to 'put things right', and all the livercityunitedhotspurenal fans can go and Fcuk themselves finding money to see their teams play away ever other week.

Jeez Dave, can’t you remember the pride we felt in being part of the “Platinum Eight”, with revolving ad boards and everything?
European super league on 21:30 - Apr 18 with 1974 viewsMrSheen

Minority of one perhaps, but I’d like to see a breakaway World Cup of 16 teams rather than the bloat and dross of 40-48 countries.
European super league on 21:32 - Apr 18 with 1968 viewsRangersDave

didnt we turn into the tin pot 1? lol

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

European super league on 21:39 - Apr 18 with 1937 viewsBrianMcCarthy

European super league on 21:30 - Apr 18 by MrSheen

Minority of one perhaps, but I’d like to see a breakaway World Cup of 16 teams rather than the bloat and dross of 40-48 countries.

Agree that 16 would be great, or 24 maybe, but "Breakaway" in practice means a move away from merit. Which would be wrong, no?

European super league on 21:52 - Apr 18 with 1867 viewsMrSheen

European super league on 21:39 - Apr 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Agree that 16 would be great, or 24 maybe, but "Breakaway" in practice means a move away from merit. Which would be wrong, no?

True, but the way FIFA is structured as one member one vote encourages more snouts at the trough even if it ruins the end product. I thought the Nations League was going to be rubbish, but I feel like that’s the one to keep and throw away the rest.

It might be a different situation in Ireland, but qualifiers now for England are numbingly boring and an unwelcome disruption to the club season. I remember the sickening thrill of Italy v England in 97, Holland v England in 93, England v Italy or Poland in the 70s, all lost forever for the chance to watch Ukraine to take Switzerland to penalties again.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 22:01]
European super league on 21:56 - Apr 18 with 1848 viewsloftboy

Has the announcement happened yet?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

European super league on 21:57 - Apr 18 with 1839 viewsstowmarketrange

European super league on 21:56 - Apr 18 by loftboy

Has the announcement happened yet?

No.
European super league on 22:01 - Apr 18 with 1823 viewsdenhamhoop2

European super league on 21:39 - Apr 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Well it's not really on merit alone thanks to regional qualification half of South America qualifies New Zealand with basically a bye into the final qualifying round versus a nearly equally poor team. Whereas there will be at least one or two useful European teams that miss out
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024