Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European super league 15:28 - Apr 18 with 51407 viewsqpr_1968

can anyone see it taking off.
talks of 6 clubs from the premier.
on sky news now.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

European super league on 07:16 - Apr 19 with 2187 viewsdsw2509

Man City lost to Wycombe not so long ago. Tottenham haven’t won anything for years. Kick them out I say. This is another Saudi circus (which is why the Qatar owned PSG is excluded). Bayern has more sense (fan ownership). Maybe promotion beckons after all.......
European super league on 07:40 - Apr 19 with 2111 viewstraininvain

The reaction online from the fans of the clubs involved says it all. A lot of unhappy football supporters and rightly so.

Neville’s spot on (despite the hypocrisy as a Sky employee) this is a criminal act from the owners involved and a crossroads moment for the game.

The timing is disgraceful and cynically timed as fans can’t event protest inside stadiums.
European super league on 07:55 - Apr 19 with 2052 viewsPaddyhoops

Can't have the likes of West ham and Leicester taking those precious Champions leauge spots.
As Brian pointed out, Spurs last won the leauge in 1961.
If the criteria for entering this sham was based on trophies, then they would be a long way off.
We've got closer to winning the league than they have in the last 60 years.
A provisional club like Forest can at least boast 2 European cups.
Something Citeh, that made up football club called Chelsea, Arsenal and spurs haven't achieved.
Let em off.. F** k em!!
European super league on 08:04 - Apr 19 with 2023 viewsjoe90

So basically this is a new 'champion league' but has been pretentiously named the super league and has a number of 'founding' clubs that get what exactly? I presume more money. I guess eligibility to be a founding member is based on estimated global fanbase?

I bet despite all the complaints from fans - the fans will still stump up the cash to watch the game and buy the shirts and make their reaction videos for YouTube.

Have to say, would love to see some of these clubs kicked out of the EPL.

Don't want to sound smug, but after our win on Saturday and this news I'm feeling very happy about supporting QPR and not being a loyal 'customer' of one of the big 6, haha
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 10:51]
European super league on 08:10 - Apr 19 with 2003 viewsRs_Holy

I think given the reaction from just about everyone in footy this will now NOT happen
But I still dont know how the bleed'n thing was supposed to work anyway???
3 teams from Spain, 3 from Italy and 6 from England... Why 6 from England and only 3 from Italy and Spain?
It also looks like they wanted Bayern and PSG join and one other permanently? So thats only 1 or 2 from Germany/France... how does that work?
5 teams get an invite if they have a brilliant domestic season? But surely none of the invites can be from England???
What happens at the end of the season? Do the invited clubs have to go back to their domestic Leagues? What if one of them wins it? Do they not get to defend the title.
Or will the 5 extra clubs get a permanent invite making it a totally closed shop?
Forget the global condemnation its floored in just about every way so its not happening.
European super league on 08:11 - Apr 19 with 1999 viewsslmrstid

The bit I find most disgraceful about all this is they want to set up their own competition outside of their FA memberships, but still compete domestically.

Nope, nope, nope, nope. You want your new competition, you resign from the FA and all its affiliated competitions.

Thats the price they should pay if they want it that bad.
European super league on 08:16 - Apr 19 with 1975 viewsjoe90

European super league on 08:10 - Apr 19 by Rs_Holy

I think given the reaction from just about everyone in footy this will now NOT happen
But I still dont know how the bleed'n thing was supposed to work anyway???
3 teams from Spain, 3 from Italy and 6 from England... Why 6 from England and only 3 from Italy and Spain?
It also looks like they wanted Bayern and PSG join and one other permanently? So thats only 1 or 2 from Germany/France... how does that work?
5 teams get an invite if they have a brilliant domestic season? But surely none of the invites can be from England???
What happens at the end of the season? Do the invited clubs have to go back to their domestic Leagues? What if one of them wins it? Do they not get to defend the title.
Or will the 5 extra clubs get a permanent invite making it a totally closed shop?
Forget the global condemnation its floored in just about every way so its not happening.

The reason 6 teams fro England is because of global fan-base. Bottom line we have more bigger clubs in England.
European super league on 08:22 - Apr 19 with 1948 viewsGuppy

And so from a premier league which isnt very premier judging by the number of european trophies won - we went to a champions league where you dont have to be champions to get into it and now to a super league where half the teams arent even exactly super
I despair sometimes for the game - i dont watch anything above the championship nowadays as premiership/international football is mostly dross and soulless
If they want to play midweek let them then they can watch proper games at the weekend and maybe realise what they are missing as this is set up to be just another snoozefest in my opinion
Login to get fewer ads

European super league on 08:22 - Apr 19 with 1944 viewsBostonR

It's a pivotal moment in football. Who has the power - the clubs or the governing bodies?

UEFA should kick Chelsea. Real Madrid and Man City out of the Champions League and Manu Utd and Arsenal out of the Europa League. Just re-set the SF's.
The PL should dock the six 30pts from the start of next season and kick them out of the FA and League Cup.
How embarrassing must it be to be a Spurs fan this morning - they have some balls!
European super league on 08:29 - Apr 19 with 1902 viewsMetallica_Hoop

No thanks.

They can keep their closed leagues and NFL razzamataz. (I could cope with Simple Minds opening our game at Man CIty as it was the first Monday football ever

When I went to Nashville I saw a gig on the river by 'Live' overlooked by the stadium. The team that plays there? The Houston oilers.

Thats next.

'Oh-oh, people of the earth
"Listen to the warning, " the seer he said
Beware the storm that gathers here
Listen to the wise man'

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

European super league on 08:36 - Apr 19 with 1862 viewstraininvain

European super league on 08:22 - Apr 19 by BostonR

It's a pivotal moment in football. Who has the power - the clubs or the governing bodies?

UEFA should kick Chelsea. Real Madrid and Man City out of the Champions League and Manu Utd and Arsenal out of the Europa League. Just re-set the SF's.
The PL should dock the six 30pts from the start of next season and kick them out of the FA and League Cup.
How embarrassing must it be to be a Spurs fan this morning - they have some balls!

Spurs and Arsenal who currently sit 10th in the league after a 1-1 home draw with Fulham. In what world does signing up to a tougher league make any sense.

It’ll be interesting to see what Klopp does here as he’s cultivated a ‘people’s manager’ image which goes completely against this super league proposal.
European super league on 08:43 - Apr 19 with 1839 viewsloftboy

European super league on 08:36 - Apr 19 by traininvain

Spurs and Arsenal who currently sit 10th in the league after a 1-1 home draw with Fulham. In what world does signing up to a tougher league make any sense.

It’ll be interesting to see what Klopp does here as he’s cultivated a ‘people’s manager’ image which goes completely against this super league proposal.

Klopp the main man in moaning about fixture congestion and getting FA cup replays banned, he also said previously he didn’t want a European super league as it would be boring, let’s see him resign maybe then these clubs might take notice.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

European super league on 08:44 - Apr 19 with 1836 viewseastside_r

This is clearly a negotiating stance. Tottenham in a European Super League would be in breach of the Trade Descriptions’ Act.
European super league on 08:51 - Apr 19 with 1802 viewsPhildo

They have made themselves very vulnerable to a populist politician swooping in to act against them. Just saying.
European super league on 09:14 - Apr 19 with 1707 viewsted_hendrix

"Super League" ?

We're not worthy anymore, All hail the "Super League".

We should know our place and continue to eat pies at football matches and never dream of being in the "Super League".

To quote Charles Kuralt" *There are a lot of people who are doing wonderful things, quietly, with no motive of greed, or hostility toward other people, or delusions of superiority.*

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

European super league on 09:20 - Apr 19 with 1680 viewsBrianMcCarthy

All this kind of ignores the inconvenient fact that two things have ruined English football - the Premier League and FFP - and Rangers have voted for both. We'd have voted for this too if it suited us.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

European super league on 09:29 - Apr 19 with 1628 viewsStanFan

European super league on 22:45 - Apr 18 by Northernr

I'm actually surprised how much credence is being given to it. It's obviously a ploy to get their horrendous reformes to the Champions league, smaller Premier League, no League Cup, bigger weight of voting rights, etc, shoved through as a least worst case scenario. I'd be amazed if it actually happened.

This post has been edited by an administrator

This. Just watch the big clubs win more concessions from the UEFA, FA & PL - a bigger slice of the pie and less chance of other clubs challenging them for trophies. And then watch the football authorities claim that they have won a victory for football.

It would be better to kick them out and let them join their closed club. No entry to UK or UEFA competitions. Players can't play in national teams. I suspect that it would become an irrelevance pretty quickly and weaken the big boys significantly. Therefore be good for the game.
European super league on 09:39 - Apr 19 with 1574 viewsRs_Holy

This is a million miles away from what we all love about footy... OUR club QPR, OUR stadium, A Kick Up the R's, forever R's, singing your heart out at away games, a pie and a bovril, Pigbag, going mental at last minute winners, Shepherds Bush, banter with oppo fans, getting home and having a beer to either celebrate a victory or drown your sorrows.... This is what makes footy, it is special and God do I appreciate it more than ever!
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 9:40]
European super league on 09:41 - Apr 19 with 1563 viewsMaggsinho

If it does go ahead I hope all the journalists busy tweeting their outrage refuse to cover it.

I get they've probably already got a broadcaster lined up and will no doubt stream games on their own website but if the rest of the media turn their backs on it - ie no match build up, no match reports, no goals shown on TV etc it will disappear into it's own bubble.
European super league on 09:50 - Apr 19 with 1512 viewsBerkoRanger

European super league on 09:39 - Apr 19 by Rs_Holy

This is a million miles away from what we all love about footy... OUR club QPR, OUR stadium, A Kick Up the R's, forever R's, singing your heart out at away games, a pie and a bovril, Pigbag, going mental at last minute winners, Shepherds Bush, banter with oppo fans, getting home and having a beer to either celebrate a victory or drown your sorrows.... This is what makes footy, it is special and God do I appreciate it more than ever!
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 9:40]

+1
European super league on 09:56 - Apr 19 with 1494 viewsLythamR

European super league on 09:41 - Apr 19 by Maggsinho

If it does go ahead I hope all the journalists busy tweeting their outrage refuse to cover it.

I get they've probably already got a broadcaster lined up and will no doubt stream games on their own website but if the rest of the media turn their backs on it - ie no match build up, no match reports, no goals shown on TV etc it will disappear into it's own bubble.

The national and international organisations should simply call their bluff, wish them well with their new elite competition, eject them from existing competitions from the end of the season and crack on

I realise there are significant repercussions in terms of revenue but i think its time to bite the bullet otherwise the rest of football bends over for them and its only a matter of time before we come round to this again in a couple of years anyway
European super league on 10:00 - Apr 19 with 1468 viewsdaveB

European super league on 20:44 - Apr 18 by BrianMcCarthy

I think that's all perfectly fair, Dave, except that Sky did support (and in some ways facilitate) the original Greedy Football Breakaway in the shape of the Premier League. So any preaching, no matter how accurate on Sky about another Greedy Football Breakaway strikes me as ironic.

Oh yea Sky are not innocent bystanders but I'd see them more as the drug dealers when the real criminals you need to stop are higher up the food chain
European super league on 10:02 - Apr 19 with 1455 viewsBrianMcCarthy

European super league on 10:00 - Apr 19 by daveB

Oh yea Sky are not innocent bystanders but I'd see them more as the drug dealers when the real criminals you need to stop are higher up the food chain

Great analogy!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

European super league on 10:03 - Apr 19 with 1449 viewsaston_hoop

'Legacy Fans'

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

European super league on 10:11 - Apr 19 with 1409 viewsRangersw12

All the clubs have resigned from European Club Association
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024