Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European super league 15:28 - Apr 18 with 51414 viewsqpr_1968

can anyone see it taking off.
talks of 6 clubs from the premier.
on sky news now.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

European super league on 10:21 - Apr 19 with 1891 viewsjohncharles

European super league on 09:20 - Apr 19 by BrianMcCarthy

All this kind of ignores the inconvenient fact that two things have ruined English football - the Premier League and FFP - and Rangers have voted for both. We'd have voted for this too if it suited us.

Thank God Briattore and Ecclescake are out of the picture

Strong and stable my arse.

European super league on 10:26 - Apr 19 with 1857 viewsjohncharles

Not sure if this has been mentioned but won’t the players be tied into this new league. They will be barred from playing in the EPL and the European leagues. So not only will we be watching the same teams over and over again but also the same players ?

Strong and stable my arse.

European super league on 10:34 - Apr 19 with 1825 viewsPerthRs

European super league on 09:39 - Apr 19 by Rs_Holy

This is a million miles away from what we all love about footy... OUR club QPR, OUR stadium, A Kick Up the R's, forever R's, singing your heart out at away games, a pie and a bovril, Pigbag, going mental at last minute winners, Shepherds Bush, banter with oppo fans, getting home and having a beer to either celebrate a victory or drown your sorrows.... This is what makes footy, it is special and God do I appreciate it more than ever!
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 9:40]

Agree with all of that but swap the pie for hot dog and bovril, use to love dunking the hot dog in bovril at half time, along with the pre match pints hoping for a win and then a few more on the way home.
God I miss those days hopefully when these 6 clubs get fcuked off we can get back to some form of normality as we all know it and grew up with.
European super league on 10:36 - Apr 19 with 1816 viewsGloryHunter

José Mourinho has been sacked by Tottenham!

(I assumed this would be related to the ESL controversy, but maybe it's not.)
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 10:40]
European super league on 10:38 - Apr 19 with 1809 viewsSott

European super league on 09:39 - Apr 19 by Rs_Holy

This is a million miles away from what we all love about footy... OUR club QPR, OUR stadium, A Kick Up the R's, forever R's, singing your heart out at away games, a pie and a bovril, Pigbag, going mental at last minute winners, Shepherds Bush, banter with oppo fans, getting home and having a beer to either celebrate a victory or drown your sorrows.... This is what makes footy, it is special and God do I appreciate it more than ever!
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 9:40]

Well said,that's my football
European super league on 10:40 - Apr 19 with 1791 viewsgobbles

I remember the glorious days in the 1980s when we had ideas so far above our station that we were part of a breakaway "big six" trying to leave the Football League.
European super league on 10:43 - Apr 19 with 1769 viewsBklynRanger

European super league on 10:26 - Apr 19 by johncharles

Not sure if this has been mentioned but won’t the players be tied into this new league. They will be barred from playing in the EPL and the European leagues. So not only will we be watching the same teams over and over again but also the same players ?

Yeah hard to see how it could be even vaguely interesting. The idea seems fundamentally flawed. 12 teams playing each other all the time, SIX of whom are English teams.

Even after the COVID restrictions have been lifted, it'll be literally tourist crowds making up at least half of the support - cut-price tickets to fill seats, daft promotions, the modern farce that is the 'Prem' will look like a grassroots treasure in comparison. Add in the performance of some of these galacticos recently - dear god.

Fcuk 'em, I hope it happens - they deserve each other.
European super league on 10:50 - Apr 19 with 1726 viewstraininvain

All this kind of ignores the inconvenient fact that two things have ruined English football - the Premier League and FFP - and Rangers have voted for both. We'd have voted for this too if it suited us.

Two words: oil money. This was on the cards the day that Abramovich was allowed to take over Chelsea and start spending ridiculous amounts of money. That paved the way for City to do the same.

Next step will be this poxy super league and weekly games played in Dubai, Saudi, Qatar etc.
Login to get fewer ads

European super league on 10:52 - Apr 19 with 1716 viewsEsox_Lucius

Strong rumours that Mourinho has been sacked from Spuds as he was against this ESL bollox. Fair play to him if it is true.

The grass is always greener.

European super league on 10:53 - Apr 19 with 1695 viewsNorthernr

European super league on 10:52 - Apr 19 by Esox_Lucius

Strong rumours that Mourinho has been sacked from Spuds as he was against this ESL bollox. Fair play to him if it is true.

Think this was started by a parody account but is now spreading rapidly because sadly that's how we do a journalism in 2021.
European super league on 10:57 - Apr 19 with 1658 viewsjoe90

European super league on 10:43 - Apr 19 by BklynRanger

Yeah hard to see how it could be even vaguely interesting. The idea seems fundamentally flawed. 12 teams playing each other all the time, SIX of whom are English teams.

Even after the COVID restrictions have been lifted, it'll be literally tourist crowds making up at least half of the support - cut-price tickets to fill seats, daft promotions, the modern farce that is the 'Prem' will look like a grassroots treasure in comparison. Add in the performance of some of these galacticos recently - dear god.

Fcuk 'em, I hope it happens - they deserve each other.

Worse still will be the insufferable media coverage of it all and the false platitudes. You can just imagine when a team is lucky enough to qualify to play the big six some dopey commentator talking about what momentous day for the club, a dream come true for the fans etc.

What really gets me, despite whatever this is actually about is the fact these clubs are saying in a roundabout way playing us is as good as it gets. Forget the history and heritage of the various domestic/European cups/leagues, we're what it's all about.
European super league on 11:00 - Apr 19 with 1645 viewsrobith

My nuanced take. F**k em. Kick them out. Ban them from playing for their countries. Reinvigorate the pyramid. Come back in 3 years when you're bored of watching Arsenal play Inter 9 times a year and when they ask to come back LET THEM DIE.

Any fan who continues to watch those teams is a scab and should be ostracised
European super league on 11:04 - Apr 19 with 1622 viewsPhildo

European super league on 10:36 - Apr 19 by GloryHunter

José Mourinho has been sacked by Tottenham!

(I assumed this would be related to the ESL controversy, but maybe it's not.)
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 10:40]

Rumours Klopp may follow
European super league on 11:10 - Apr 19 with 1567 viewsswitchingcode

Yes I hear all the other clubs fans and managers outrage when if their owners had the opportunity they would bite their arm off my club included I’d expect.
European super league on 11:10 - Apr 19 with 1568 viewsDannyPaddox

European super league on 17:22 - Apr 18 by Northernr

Pretty shameless power play, force through the almost as disgraceful reforms they want to the Champions League which basically mean the same teams are in it every year regardless of performance.

It's a sick sport - in the sense that it's unwell. The power and money is manifested and controlled by a tiny collection of people and clubs for whom making still more money is the primary, secondary and tertiary aim, and it matters not one single bit whether that comes at the expense of the rest of the sport disappearing into a semi-professional existance. Like a big tumour, dominating and infecting the rest of the body.

Isn’t this just capitalism?
European super league on 11:12 - Apr 19 with 1558 viewsWatfordR

European super league on 11:00 - Apr 19 by robith

My nuanced take. F**k em. Kick them out. Ban them from playing for their countries. Reinvigorate the pyramid. Come back in 3 years when you're bored of watching Arsenal play Inter 9 times a year and when they ask to come back LET THEM DIE.

Any fan who continues to watch those teams is a scab and should be ostracised

Yep, only two actions to be taken here IMO:

1. Kick them out of Prem and all sanctioned competitions;

2. Don't let them back. Ever. Under any circumstances.
European super league on 11:15 - Apr 19 with 1538 viewsRs_Holy

European super league on 11:04 - Apr 19 by Phildo

Rumours Klopp may follow

i take it this is a joke?
European super league on 11:18 - Apr 19 with 1521 viewsloftboy

European super league on 11:15 - Apr 19 by Rs_Holy

i take it this is a joke?

I reckon he’ll walk, he ha stated in the past he is against it.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

European super league on 11:21 - Apr 19 with 1500 viewsRs_Holy

European super league on 11:18 - Apr 19 by loftboy

I reckon he’ll walk, he ha stated in the past he is against it.

wonder if fans will start new clubs in an AFC Wombledon, FC united type way?
European super league on 11:40 - Apr 19 with 1418 viewsdoogi10

get rid the prem will survive there bigger clubs than spurs in the prem
European super league on 11:42 - Apr 19 with 1414 viewsCliff

I like other am shocked and outraged by this, but let's face it, we all knew something like it was coming and also let's face it football needs some sort of reset. It can't go on getting the enormous revenues it does get and still most teams involved lose money.

I, like others on here, think this is an opening gambit to push through other reforms in favour of the big 6 like reformed voting rights. If the FA and others buckle and allow the big 6 to gain in any way from this then football is screwed, imagine what they'd do in a few years time with their extra voting powers.

Personally I would hate to see the teams involved leave domestic football - even Chelsea - I loved our games against them, and I would hate to think we'd lost the chance to welcome then to HQ and give them a nice warm reception. But I think losing them is the lesser of two evils and is better than giving them more power. The governing bodies have to make a stand and actually govern and not be governed.

My preferred option would be the governing bodies make a strong, united stand and offer nothing to the clubs other than the threat that if they go then they are out of all existing competitions and on their own. Then if they go, fine restructure without them and if they stay give them fines and points deductions including possible 2-5 year bans from european football and demotion to discourage this from happening again in the foreseeable future.

Finally some interesting questions:
1. If players are banned from playing for their national sides, what powers do they have to stop this? Imaging you are looking forward to representing your country at a finals you helped them qualify for and suddenly a move by your club, that you had no say in, block you from playing. Should you be given the right to tear up your contract and become a free agent so you can?

2. I wonder what SKY are thinking; a) bloody heel we stumped up billions for the rights to football and now there's something new outside of this structure which devalues our contract or b) great let's get involved?
European super league on 11:43 - Apr 19 with 1410 viewsBAWHoops

Inevitably everyone will fall into line.

Rio Ferdinand and Jake Humphrey were giving it the woe is me on BT Sport last night... both would jump at the chance to be the main anchor and pundit on Amazon for the Super League.

Got tons of mates who are Arsenal and Spurs fans. They're all against it, none have said they would give up their season ticket.
They'll market it well for a year and when it does start up you'll watch because Barcelona v Man United in a knock out game is exciting and we all love football.
The breakaway 12 know this, they know fans and pundits etc will moan and complain and say it's awful... they don't care.

The only way to actually stop this is if the clubs are kicked out of their domestic competition and their previous achievements revoked (no 6 times European Champions for Liverpool etc.)

But eventually fans will fall in line, they always do because football is a sickness. When they gave the World Cup to Qatar in the winter we had all this uproar then... it's just accepted now.

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

European super league on 11:46 - Apr 19 with 1393 viewsPerthRs

If and it’s a big if FIFA & UEFA carry out their threat to ban the clubs from all competitions, what happens to the match officials are they also going to be banned if they officiate in what is an unsanctioned league / competition?
This happened back in the late 80s with the Kerry Packer Cricket Circus all the participating players and umpires were banned world wide.
European super league on 11:48 - Apr 19 with 1385 viewsQPRKirty

European super league on 11:46 - Apr 19 by PerthRs

If and it’s a big if FIFA & UEFA carry out their threat to ban the clubs from all competitions, what happens to the match officials are they also going to be banned if they officiate in what is an unsanctioned league / competition?
This happened back in the late 80s with the Kerry Packer Cricket Circus all the participating players and umpires were banned world wide.

Packer was the mid/late seventies. You are thinking of the rebel South Africa tours.
European super league on 11:52 - Apr 19 with 1371 viewsPerthRs

European super league on 11:48 - Apr 19 by QPRKirty

Packer was the mid/late seventies. You are thinking of the rebel South Africa tours.

Thank you I stand corrected
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024