Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite season 20:06 - May 13 with 2575 viewsdutch

The season we've just seen (sadly not in person) ended up being unexpectedly enjoyable, but which season do you remember with most pleasure? 75 -76 was easily the best football but of course it ended in tears. I would go for 2003-2004, my then little boy's first full season, amazing sense of togetherness, all those fans in the team and the best climax at Hillsbrough.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 21:39]
Favourite season on 20:19 - May 13 with 2187 viewscolinallcars

I'm considerably older so 66-67 for me. 100 goals scored, winning div 3 by a record margin and of course winning the league cup at Wembley.
The runaway winning of the division would have been even greater had the team not relaxed a bit in the last batch of games having been out of sight of the other teams.
Favourite season on 20:22 - May 13 with 2166 viewsW6R

72/73 for me, so many memorable games.

3-1 against Orient on Boxing day and 1-3 against Millwall stand out, and from the new year until the end of the season we only lost one game until the end of the season.

Stan Bowles, Dave Thomas, Phil Parkes et all.

No political shit, no Sky, muddy pitches, 3 bob to get in, terraces and just wonderful full bloodied end to end fottie.

Today, football is crap.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 20:26]
Favourite season on 20:39 - May 13 with 2147 viewshantssi

They were my 2 favourite seasons as well.
Although when my dad passed away about 12 years ago we found a copy of every Sunday newspaper from the day after the ‘67 final which I’ve now got.
Favourite season on 20:47 - May 13 with 2131 viewsMatch82

Can i say pre-covid last year? The post-lockdown piece left a bad taste but before that it was great entertaining football, club felt like it was on the rise, good young players coming through, plenty of wins, and weirdly stress free.
Favourite season on 21:43 - May 13 with 2072 viewsNed_Kennedys

The 82/83 promotion season was great as a young kid, as was the following 83/84 season as we more than held our own in the top division. 87/88 season started brilliantly with the 3-0 win at West Ham on Paul Parker and Mark Dennis debuts.
Favourite season on 21:48 - May 13 with 2061 viewsDWQPR

Favourite season on 20:22 - May 13 by W6R

72/73 for me, so many memorable games.

3-1 against Orient on Boxing day and 1-3 against Millwall stand out, and from the new year until the end of the season we only lost one game until the end of the season.

Stan Bowles, Dave Thomas, Phil Parkes et all.

No political shit, no Sky, muddy pitches, 3 bob to get in, terraces and just wonderful full bloodied end to end fottie.

Today, football is crap.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 20:26]

My first full season was this. Remember the old Joe Coral scoreboard on the floodlight on the corner of the School End and ER stand. The skeleton of the new ER stand in the early weeks of the new season. The expectation that we would regularly score at least four goals, from memory we did against Wendey, Carlisle, Swindon, Portsmouth and a few others. Chequered programme cover, scrambling up the wall of the paddock to watch the games, falling off every time we scored! Parkes, Clement, Gillard, Venables, Henry, McLintock, Thomas, Bowles, Givens, Leach, Francis. The nucleus of THAT team emerging. Gordon Jago. What a wonderful season.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Favourite season on 21:53 - May 13 with 2053 viewsterryb

1973/74 for me.

Back in the top division & we played some great football. IF we had won either of the cups it would have been near unbeatable. As it is, the win at Wolves remains one of the best away performance's that I've seen.

The difference between this & 75/76 is that in the latter season winning was all that mattered.
Favourite season on 21:59 - May 13 with 2044 viewsqueensparker

2010, the Holloway Div 2 promotion season, the Jim Smith season when we'd just bought Paul Parker and the world was our oyster, the "top London club" season in 93 (?) with Les in his pomp and we could beat anybody.

There's been a few. Although I have to say weirdly this season has really kept me going in some dark times post Xmas. Fair play to the team for that.
Login to get fewer ads

Favourite season on 08:23 - May 14 with 1933 viewsKiwi76

I’m completely biased to my couple of stints living over there & lucky enough that we had couple of 5th places in there.
Think 92/93 was best though as Les got 20+ and Ray Wilkins ticking us over in midfield.
Did like late 80’s side with Seaman & Parker but Gerry Francis era wins for me.
Favourite season on 10:03 - May 14 with 1882 viewsdaveB

The 1989/90 season was a special one, we played some great football second half of the season after we signed Wilkins and Wegerle.

94/95 as well with Gallen and Ferdinand, really enjoyed that one. The Holloway years 2001-2005 were fantastic, loved almost every minute of it
Favourite season on 10:07 - May 14 with 1874 viewsMetallica_Hoop

2010 and 2004.

Had a season ticket for both and have some great memories.

2002/3 was pretty good fun too.
I never thought I'd go to Oldham twice in a year

Was that Furs goal really 18 years ago? Jeez.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Favourite season on 10:44 - May 14 with 1843 viewsdannyblue

92-93 My first season ticket, finished 5th, felt we could have done so much better if only...and that it would only get better from there. Little did I know.

10-11 Just magical from start to finish.
Favourite season on 10:57 - May 14 with 1829 viewsAntti_Heinola

I think it has to be 10/11 for me. For many reasons, but watching and appreciating Adel, who was simply a magician that season, was so special. And also just watching the best team inthe league every week. It was great.

93/94 was also great for me as well.

And while the Ollie promotion season was amazing, for a sheer thrill ride, the play-off year was superior. The period between games in the second half of that season was just noise. Felt like my whole life was just getting from one match to another. Absolute frenzy of a season.

Bare bones.

Favourite season on 12:22 - May 14 with 1773 viewsRBlock

10/11 for me, hands down. Only 29 so wasn't around for those earlier seasons. Going into that season not expecting too much and then storming the league, not losing a league game until December. Adel Taarabt sweeping away all before him. Characters like Ale Faurlin, Clint Hill, Sean Derry, Jamie Mackie, Heidar Helguson.
Favourite season on 15:04 - May 14 with 1722 viewsTomS

Favourite season on 12:22 - May 14 by RBlock

10/11 for me, hands down. Only 29 so wasn't around for those earlier seasons. Going into that season not expecting too much and then storming the league, not losing a league game until December. Adel Taarabt sweeping away all before him. Characters like Ale Faurlin, Clint Hill, Sean Derry, Jamie Mackie, Heidar Helguson.

What frustrated me that season was, while the performances and results were great, we couldn't enjoy them as much as we should have as we had the "Faurlin-gate" issue looming in the background.

We couldn't celebrate either winning the league or promotion, as we should have, until the last day of the season, when the "no points deduction" verdict was announced.
Favourite season on 15:11 - May 14 with 1709 viewsgazza1

Favourite season on 20:19 - May 13 by colinallcars

I'm considerably older so 66-67 for me. 100 goals scored, winning div 3 by a record margin and of course winning the league cup at Wembley.
The runaway winning of the division would have been even greater had the team not relaxed a bit in the last batch of games having been out of sight of the other teams.

Wow you actually remember that far back!!!! .
Favourite season on 15:28 - May 14 with 1675 viewsfrancisbowles

Favourite season on 12:22 - May 14 by RBlock

I've been going since 1970 and have seen some great teams and seasons but the Warnock season was the most enjoyable. All the reasons given, Adel etc, and it was a long time coming, also, being presented with the Football League Championship trophy after being robbed of it in 75-76 felt like a wrong being put right, some 35 years later!

The 'Faurlingate' scenario just made it somehow more exciting, I lost a lot of sleep as it was on my mind every time I woke up. It also made it more rewarding when the Championship was confirmed.
Favourite season on 20:06 - May 14 with 1611 viewsqpr_1968

1975/76
1982/83
1992/93
2010/11

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Favourite season on 09:19 - May 15 with 1468 viewspaulparker

Loved the following
85/86 milk cup run
87/88 Jim smiths sweeper system
89/90 wegerle , Howe , Wilkins, barker, the cup run
91/92 the Gerry Francis years , beating spurs 4-1
92/93 above
2010/2011 the promotion season

Out of all of them the most enjoyable in a perverse way was the 00/01 season when we had just been relegated, in Admin, had no players and didn’t know if we would have a club
Thank god for Olly no manager would have galvanised the club like he did , the fans came together
We had , Palmer, Day, Bonnot, Thomson, then add Mavericks like dou do , Ben asker
We had the presence of shittu, the return of Gallen , the Olly “our cave” speeches
The opening games against Stoke and away at bury banished about 6 years of hurt in 2 weeks

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Favourite season on 02:43 - May 16 with 1334 viewsBoston

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Favourite season on 08:14 - May 16 with 1251 viewsdutch

VAR just made this season even better.
Favourite season on 08:22 - May 16 with 1236 viewsjeffranger

66/67
75/76
2010/11
2021 from Jan
Favourite season on 08:25 - May 16 with 1230 viewsBrianMcCarthy

87/88.

My family moved back to England in '85 and I was straight down to Rangers. Those first two seasons were a chore to me, completed out of loyalty rather than love. I really didn't like many of the players (fat, fat, fat, lazy, fat, fat and lazy) and it took a while to make friends who wanted to go home and away and not fight.

The transfers of Summer 1987 gave us a new and exciting team, we went top of the league and within a few weeks a travelling crew formed that are still great friends to this day.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Favourite season on 15:51 - May 16 with 1161 viewsW7Ranger

Favourite season on 08:25 - May 16 by BrianMcCarthy

87/88.

My family moved back to England in '85 and I was straight down to Rangers. Those first two seasons were a chore to me, completed out of loyalty rather than love. I really didn't like many of the players (fat, fat, fat, lazy, fat, fat and lazy) and it took a while to make friends who wanted to go home and away and not fight.

The transfers of Summer 1987 gave us a new and exciting team, we went top of the league and within a few weeks a travelling crew formed that are still great friends to this day.

So you didn't even enjoy the Milk Cup run of '86 culminating in beating Liverpool in the final?
Favourite season on 16:54 - May 16 with 1126 viewsloftus77

Favourite season on 09:19 - May 15 by paulparker

Loved the following
85/86 milk cup run
87/88 Jim smiths sweeper system
89/90 wegerle , Howe , Wilkins, barker, the cup run
91/92 the Gerry Francis years , beating spurs 4-1
92/93 above
2010/2011 the promotion season

Out of all of them the most enjoyable in a perverse way was the 00/01 season when we had just been relegated, in Admin, had no players and didn’t know if we would have a club
Thank god for Olly no manager would have galvanised the club like he did , the fans came together
We had , Palmer, Day, Bonnot, Thomson, then add Mavericks like dou do , Ben asker
We had the presence of shittu, the return of Gallen , the Olly “our cave” speeches
The opening games against Stoke and away at bury banished about 6 years of hurt in 2 weeks

Good shout - but assume you mean 01/02.

Can't see 00/01 making much headway on this thread...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024