Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ruben Interview 18:38 - Nov 10 with 6765 viewsdaveB

Ruben Interview on 20:33 - Nov 10 with 4751 viewsdmm

Thanks for posting, Dave. So the current thinking of the board on the stadium is that redeveloping Loftus Road in some way is more likely than obtaining the LCS. Interesting.
Ruben Interview on 20:50 - Nov 10 with 4704 viewsqueensparker

Selfishly I’d fking love to see what throwing money at Loftus Road could do with the right attitude. It’s such a perfect stadium and I’ve got three generations of family history (soon four) in regular attendance.

Hope they can pull that off if the London property play diminishes into the distance the Malaysians are going to massively cool on their big money investment.
Ruben Interview on 21:12 - Nov 10 with 4658 viewsNorthernr

So yeh behind the scenes it turns out Finney, Charlie, myself and the W12 Podcast had all asked for him over the summer, so we all got offered 15 minutes in a press round today (pretty standard practice, you see it a lot when films are being promoted) but rather than cram it in and repeat the same questions Paul, Charlie and me decided to pool our time and just do it as this week's Open All R's Podcast. Usual promo here.

I'm alreayd kicking myself over a couple of things I should have asked, and we really should have called the episode Gnanalingam Style, but apart from that I hope you enjoy...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/56235
Ruben Interview on 21:26 - Nov 10 with 4619 viewsBlackCrowe

Agree, with the added bonus of a 'fck u' to H&F council.

But it may be brinkmanship with H&F come to think of it.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ruben Interview on 23:36 - Nov 10 with 4373 viewsStainrod

Great scoop you got there about the strategy being to re-develop the stadium. Interesting: I'm no architect but was always told it couldn't be built further up, and apart from the Loft end hard to see how it could be built wider. Shame Paul Finney spent so long rambling on with own opinions rather than acting more like a journalist and trying to get more details. Ruben came across extremely well.

For my sins I had to go to Stamford Bridge today for a conference. It was the first time I had been to all the hospitality parts. Much as it pains me, I was stunned how big it now is. If Reuben wants Loftus Rd used 150/300 days a year, I just don't see where you fit the hotel, conference rooms, exhibit halls, multiple bars, restaurants etc that they need to bring in the extra revenue. But maybe the council might compromise - allow us to buy back the school site and relocate the school? Build a tunnel to divert the traffic on South Africa Road near the stadium so we can built out that stand over what is now the road? Maybe these kind of ideas are possible, and given that another ground is clearly a pipe dream probably the only option. At least QPR can say to the council "you have done b*gger all to help us move, so at least help us redevelop what we have". Anyway, Reuben seems battle-hardened, sensible and well meaning and think we are in safe hands.
Ruben Interview on 00:04 - Nov 11 with 4330 viewsdaveB

It was a good interview and interesting that they are looking at developing Loftus Road, will be interesting to see if that's just a bluff to the council or if they are serious
Ruben Interview on 00:15 - Nov 11 with 4304 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ruben Interview on 00:04 - Nov 11 by daveB

It was a good interview and interesting that they are looking at developing Loftus Road, will be interesting to see if that's just a bluff to the council or if they are serious

I'm bemused by that interview.

There really isn't any space to make HQ into a sustainable home for 100/150/300 days and/or for a big crowd. And I can't see how the Council can make the plot bigger.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ruben Interview on 04:14 - Nov 11 with 4223 viewsHoopsie

Time to revisit

https://calfordseaden.com/project/qpr-stadium-loftus-road/

https://www.michaeldrain.com/project/qpr-stadium-loftus-road#1

And possibly other planning reports on QPR redevelopment plan I am sure QPR management now and then have commissioned

Note that increasing the attendance or seating capacity is not a priority vis a vis return of investment but rather how to incorporate a multi use for Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium and if we are clever some spaces can be multi-purpose to incorporate a host of uses. for example seating can be realigned and transformed to cater for a boxing match, concert etc. If it can incorporate some sort of every day uses?

- conference rooms / corporate boxes / premium hospitality lounges can go as one
- a QPR museum cum superstore
- community amenities like library (sports/local), gyms / fitness / therapy centre, function rooms for local residents / QPR fans, internet cafes (if that is still a thing)
- restaurants / catering kitchen (for point 1 above) that is accessible and fronting / overlooking South Africa Road (but not on ground level - due to match days, large crowds)
- buy the school end site or maybe incorporate the school with this purchase so school is incorporated into new design - with school providing another function for academy players in pursuing an alternate academic route
- shop fronts for rental along South Africa Road / Loftus road which can capitalise on match days crowd for businesses etc
- etc

maybe?

Personally i think if we can get a seating capacity of 20,000 would be a huge bonus for this boutique stadium, but 17,500 reduced capacity but with all the perks of financial sustainability build in would do QPR a world of good.

Poll: Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy?

Login to get fewer ads

Ruben Interview on 08:35 - Nov 11 with 3989 viewsRs_Holy

Ruben Interview on 04:14 - Nov 11 by Hoopsie

Time to revisit

https://calfordseaden.com/project/qpr-stadium-loftus-road/

https://www.michaeldrain.com/project/qpr-stadium-loftus-road#1

And possibly other planning reports on QPR redevelopment plan I am sure QPR management now and then have commissioned

Note that increasing the attendance or seating capacity is not a priority vis a vis return of investment but rather how to incorporate a multi use for Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium and if we are clever some spaces can be multi-purpose to incorporate a host of uses. for example seating can be realigned and transformed to cater for a boxing match, concert etc. If it can incorporate some sort of every day uses?

- conference rooms / corporate boxes / premium hospitality lounges can go as one
- a QPR museum cum superstore
- community amenities like library (sports/local), gyms / fitness / therapy centre, function rooms for local residents / QPR fans, internet cafes (if that is still a thing)
- restaurants / catering kitchen (for point 1 above) that is accessible and fronting / overlooking South Africa Road (but not on ground level - due to match days, large crowds)
- buy the school end site or maybe incorporate the school with this purchase so school is incorporated into new design - with school providing another function for academy players in pursuing an alternate academic route
- shop fronts for rental along South Africa Road / Loftus road which can capitalise on match days crowd for businesses etc
- etc

maybe?

Personally i think if we can get a seating capacity of 20,000 would be a huge bonus for this boutique stadium, but 17,500 reduced capacity but with all the perks of financial sustainability build in would do QPR a world of good.

Those drawings look really impressive but a few things I would say...

The stadium redesign is a bit heavy on the hospitality boxes (2 rows in the SA stand and 3 in the Ellerslie... also not sure what's going on with the existing boxes above the Paddocks?). I know the main entrance to the stadium is on the SA Road side but would it not be better to have a 3rd tier of seating in SA stand and the vast majority of hospitality in the Ellerslie?

Also the Ellerslie Road Stand would be considerably higher than at present so no doubt the residents behind the Stand will kick up a stink!

Looks like the School and Loft ends will remain untouched (apart from awning type coverings over the lower seating).

Agree about buying the school site if possible if only for parking and extra pre-match hospitality?
Ruben Interview on 09:10 - Nov 11 with 3910 viewsozexile

There is quite a lot of ground at the back of the loft could that be redeveloped?
Ruben Interview on 09:13 - Nov 11 with 3905 viewsParkRoyalR

Ruben Interview on 00:15 - Nov 11 by BrianMcCarthy

There really isn't any space to make HQ into a sustainable home for 100/150/300 days and/or for a big crowd. And I can't see how the Council can make the plot bigger.

Reduce the width of South Africa Road by half (ie emergency vehicle access only)

Grew up and still live local and that road is a cut-through that goes nowhere (I could explain further but I'll spare you the detail) is very lightly trafficked and Bloemfontein Road via Westway offers alternative access to those who live local rather than use as a commuter rat-run (through a densely populated area).

So build new South Africa Road stand (similar logic to Fulham's new Riverside Stand) / move pitch / demolish + rebuild enlarged Ellerslie Road Stand with larger bars / catering facilities / retain Loft + School Ends stands more or less as is but give access to new bar + catering facilities in Ellerslie + South Africa Road.

AFC Wimbledon's new 10k stadium cost £ 30m, so £30m-£40m is not an unrealistic budget for 2 new enlarged stands to give us 25k odd capacity.
Ruben Interview on 09:54 - Nov 11 with 3784 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I just don't see it, ParkRoyal. Wish I could as I;d love to stay at HQ.

Lighting to flats on SAR in the event of moving the SAR stand is a concern.
Planning of any kind is a huge concern.
Expanding Ellerslie would mean pushing it towards SAR which would mean rebuilding the School End and Loft.
Therefore, we're effectively rebuilding all four stands.
Still not convinced even that would give you enough hospitality income to get you significant outside business.

Four possibilities exist after this interview, that I can see:

1) This is a serious proposition by Gnanalingham, in which case he's at direct odds with Hoos.
2) This is a serious proposition by Gnanalingham and Hoos has changed his mind all of a sudden
3) This is Gnanalingham just pontificating, or
4) It's some sort of bluff to convince the Council to help us with LCS, but we have no leverage at all - "help us move or...ahm....we....won't move"

I'm not reassured by any of the four possibilities.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ruben Interview on 10:14 - Nov 11 with 3729 viewsdaveB

Ruben Interview on 00:15 - Nov 11 by BrianMcCarthy

If, and it's a big if, they were able to relocate the school and get hold of that land ( I know it's unlikely) they could rebuild each stand and add facilities that can make money such as a public use gym, better exec boxes etc.

One early quick win would be to put rail seating in the Lower Loft and Ellerslisle you don't need to make it safe standing yet but it would improve leg room and comfort for supporters
Ruben Interview on 10:30 - Nov 11 with 3697 viewsNorthernr

Ruben Interview on 09:54 - Nov 11 by BrianMcCarthy

I just don't see it, ParkRoyal. Wish I could as I;d love to stay at HQ.

Lighting to flats on SAR in the event of moving the SAR stand is a concern.
Planning of any kind is a huge concern.
Expanding Ellerslie would mean pushing it towards SAR which would mean rebuilding the School End and Loft.
Therefore, we're effectively rebuilding all four stands.
Still not convinced even that would give you enough hospitality income to get you significant outside business.

Four possibilities exist after this interview, that I can see:

1) This is a serious proposition by Gnanalingham, in which case he's at direct odds with Hoos.
2) This is a serious proposition by Gnanalingham and Hoos has changed his mind all of a sudden
3) This is Gnanalingham just pontificating, or
4) It's some sort of bluff to convince the Council to help us with LCS, but we have no leverage at all - "help us move or...ahm....we....won't move"

I'm not reassured by any of the four possibilities.

4 for me.
Ruben Interview on 10:40 - Nov 11 with 3664 viewsNottsQPR

Great interview but I do wish that Charlie could ask a direct question without what seems like a 5 minute pre-amble before getting to it. It's a really unnecessary thing to do as he is a talented guy. Make the question clear and concise and he'd save about 10 mins per interview!
Ruben Interview on 11:08 - Nov 11 with 3607 viewsbosh67

For me redeveloping Loftus Road as a venue that can be used year round has to be the best option. If I was the owner I would seek a ground share for a season or so and essentially demolish and rebuild the 5 acre site to house 22K+ fans with safe standing, reorganise the space the stands take up, be imaginative with space in the design to incorporate admin, corporate and other venue facilities. Decent creative architects could produce a very clever multi use space on the same footprint.

Either that or renegotiate the academy space to house a 25K stadium there as well?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Ruben Interview on 11:34 - Nov 11 with 3561 viewsBostonR

Ruben Interview on 10:30 - Nov 11 by Northernr

4 for me.

Great interview. I agree - he was pitching option 4. We did learn that the council are considering an open tender for the land. I assume they have Westfield Mk2 in their sights.

Money talks!
Ruben Interview on 12:02 - Nov 11 with 3509 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Ruben Interview on 11:34 - Nov 11 by BostonR

Great interview. I agree - he was pitching option 4. We did learn that the council are considering an open tender for the land. I assume they have Westfield Mk2 in their sights.

Money talks!

I can’t think of many worse places to put a shopping/leisure centre tbh. Would the council be able to do that with a public space anyway? I know that there’s been a lot of building development in the area but most/all of it was on brownfield sites I think. They couldn’t just do away with a sports track in the area without replacing it somewhere else I’d have thought.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2021 12:03]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Ruben Interview on 12:39 - Nov 11 with 3422 viewsLythamR

4 for me.

The Architects drawings just look like someone has been given some pictures of LR, the wish list of specifications and a couple of days to play with Autocad

the document provided by the link just looks like a wish list i cant see anything of any substance on how to achieve it unless i a missing something

Any significant redevelopment of LR could not be achieved (even if it really was possible) without significant support from the Council so being confrontational or belligerent with them doesnt appear on the surface to be a great strategy
Ruben Interview on 13:11 - Nov 11 with 3321 viewsE17hoop

4 for me.

Exactly - we have money to invest to improve sport facilities in the borough but you won't help.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Ruben Interview on 13:31 - Nov 11 with 3236 viewsTheChef

Ruben Interview on 11:08 - Nov 11 by bosh67

For me redeveloping Loftus Road as a venue that can be used year round has to be the best option. If I was the owner I would seek a ground share for a season or so and essentially demolish and rebuild the 5 acre site to house 22K+ fans with safe standing, reorganise the space the stands take up, be imaginative with space in the design to incorporate admin, corporate and other venue facilities. Decent creative architects could produce a very clever multi use space on the same footprint.

Either that or renegotiate the academy space to house a 25K stadium there as well?

Nice idea, although given the close proximity of the flats on the estate I think it would take a while to get that one through.

Also where are the funds for a new stadium / refurb coming from. Have Ruben et al got more money to burn??

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ruben Interview on 14:06 - Nov 11 with 3150 viewsRs_Holy

Ruben Interview on 13:31 - Nov 11 by TheChef

Nice idea, although given the close proximity of the flats on the estate I think it would take a while to get that one through.

Also where are the funds for a new stadium / refurb coming from. Have Ruben et al got more money to burn??

fulham have got a shiny new Main stand and brentford have got a new stadium... Christ even Looton have a new stadium planned!...we can but dream :(
[Post edited 11 Nov 2021 14:07]
Ruben Interview on 14:35 - Nov 11 with 3068 viewsdaveB

Ruben Interview on 12:02 - Nov 11 by CliveWilsonSaid

I can’t think of many worse places to put a shopping/leisure centre tbh. Would the council be able to do that with a public space anyway? I know that there’s been a lot of building development in the area but most/all of it was on brownfield sites I think. They couldn’t just do away with a sports track in the area without replacing it somewhere else I’d have thought.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2021 12:03]

Westfield has quite a few empty shops now so another shopping centre would be pointless
Ruben Interview on 14:42 - Nov 11 with 3057 viewsPinnerPaul

Personally sad, all we're talking about is the redevelopment of LR, or not.

I thought it was a really good interview and was very reassured by the future/current transfer policy, which, lets face it, is going to have a much bigger impact on the club/us over the next 5 years - whatever decision we're in.

Loved the parts about the culture of the club as well.
Ruben Interview on 14:45 - Nov 11 with 3047 viewsA40Bosh

4 for me.

Agreed - not sure how long in advance you had Ruben lined up to come on the Pod and when dates were agreed with the club, but in light of recent sniping between ourselves and the LBHF it does feel like a case of the board having an ideal outlet and opportunity to spread the message that we are happy to start looking at modification of LR and the council can either talk to us formally or do one.

However if you listen to Ruben it was slightly contradictory and he talked about long term sustainability not being feasible from changes to LR even if we made changes to LR.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024