Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? 08:16 - Jan 26 with 3119 viewsnumptydumpty

Case could be made for all three perhaps this season they not quite up to the hype..

Austin was certainly a better player and in better physical shape last season.

Dykes been injured but struggling with form. Needs a goal. Shame yesterday could not put away golden chance he had.

Gray I feel currently is our most clinical and natural finisher of the three but can be invisible at times.

Saying all that I do like all three but certainly none of them quite doing the best they can be currently.

I hope we could get in another, although doubt we will.

Maybe Sinclair Armstrong could get a cameo.

What's the verdict from others about our up front options ???
Particularly if we pushing for promotion..
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 8:17]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 08:23 - Jan 26 with 2230 viewsstevec

We probably don’t have the budget for what we need but even if we’d signed Metrovic, Solanke or Brereton Diaz, my guess is we’d halve their goal output.

It’s concerning that of the three, I’d only have any hope of Gray actually converting a shot and if you’d said that to a Watford fan he’d most likely laugh himself to death.
Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 08:31 - Jan 26 with 2206 viewsBAWHoops

We have 3 good strikers for this level. None are outstanding. It's absolutely fine.
Dykes has 7, Austin has 6 and Gray has 5.
As Cheslea have shown, just shoving a seemingly quick fix expensive striker up top doesn't mean anything (would they have been better to just stick with Abraham and Broja?).
Chair and Willock also have 6 each so our attackers are very much scoring

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 08:42 - Jan 26 with 2172 viewsPetros

Obviously Warbs knows best etc, but playing Austin on his own up front makes no sense to me - zero pace and mobility, means we can't counter quickly, can't high press, all forms of through balls are a waste of time. The difference Dykes made was striking. If Austin starts (big if) it has to be with another striker beside him.
Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 08:47 - Jan 26 with 2154 viewsTGRRRSSS

Why aren't Dykes and Austin starting?

If fit I'd play them up top on the weekend against a team who are leaking goals for fun.
Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 08:59 - Jan 26 with 2102 viewsStanisgod

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 08:47 - Jan 26 by TGRRRSSS

If fit I'd play them up top on the weekend against a team who are leaking goals for fun.

Spot on. Dykes up front on his own is as pointless as Charlie, more so with no Chair.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 09:04 - Jan 26 with 2083 viewsPhil_i_P_Daddy

Can’t rely on any of them, as evidenced by them being played in rotation.
Fortunately, goals have been spread throughout the team which helps mask our strikers’ inadequacies.
Unfortunately, clinical strikers don’t grow on trees and any half decent ones will be on the radars of clubs with far more financial clout than us.
Fingers crossed for those diamonds in the rough… 🤞🏻

Phil_i_P

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 09:09 - Jan 26 with 2059 viewsRs_Holy

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 08:31 - Jan 26 by BAWHoops

We have 3 good strikers for this level. None are outstanding. It's absolutely fine.
Dykes has 7, Austin has 6 and Gray has 5.
As Cheslea have shown, just shoving a seemingly quick fix expensive striker up top doesn't mean anything (would they have been better to just stick with Abraham and Broja?).
Chair and Willock also have 6 each so our attackers are very much scoring

when is Gray back?
Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 09:16 - Jan 26 with 2039 viewsfrancisbowles

I think we needed the extra midfielder, Amos, against Swansea, to avoid being passed through in midfield. Swansea resorted to going long, on a number of occasions last night and those balls were usually won by Dunne.
Login to get fewer ads

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 09:26 - Jan 26 with 1990 viewsTheChef

Noted last night that Armstrong is back in the squad, so maybe he is worth throwing on at some point, get him some first team experience?

Much as I love Charlie he's not a 90 minute player any more, I think he has a lot more impact coming on as a sub.

In the end I wouldn't be averse to getting another striker in on loan if they were worth it and could make a difference in getting the ball in the back of the net - but if they're available in January it's usually for a reason (i.e. not very good).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 09:34 - Jan 26 with 1959 viewsWestonsuperR

All the strikers are reasonable for this level but no more than that, really feel we lack an option of pace. Charlie doesn’t seem the player he was last season, no doubt the effort is there and appears to be getting frustrated with himself.

I’d really like to see a quick winger or forward brought in before the window closes, would compliment what we have already very well.
Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 10:02 - Jan 26 with 1915 viewsRBlock

One thing I've noticed about Austin recently, is that he doesn't really challenge defenders for headers like he used to, now preferring to lurk around hoping that it slips through to him in space.
Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 10:03 - Jan 26 with 1913 viewsted_hendrix

Charlie is a year older, therefore so is his body and mind and like it or not it will take It's toll, having said that for me he's a must for being in the match day squad, his signing this time last year was a god send.
Dykes seems to have spells of blowing hot and cold, being honest I really don't know where I stand with the bloke, he'll always give you a 'shift' though that's for sure.
When we signed Gray I was chuffed to bits but his 'goals for' column is looking a bit thin on the ground but he does score some lovely goals.
I'm sure I read somewhere last night that Warburton was looking to bring in a forward during January, I think that-that is a must to keep us in the top six.

All strikers good or not so good miss bloody 'sitters' at times, It happens.

Not quite sure what I'm trying to say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 10:12 - Jan 26 with 1874 viewsNorthernr

As ever, it's more could we afford another?
Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 10:13 - Jan 26 with 1867 viewsPinnerPaul

Well the debate after Coventry was that we get overrun in midfield at times with two up front.

Having said that, until Chair comes back, I would play two up top.

Edit - MW said we ARE looking at bringing in another forward player this month.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 10:16]
Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 10:16 - Jan 26 with 1846 viewsdaveB

Been a problem all season we don't create much for the strikers. Last night between them they had 2 chances a header which was offside and the Dykes one at the end. They are not going to score that many if we don't create chances
Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 10:17 - Jan 26 with 1840 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 10:13 - Jan 26 by PinnerPaul

Well the debate after Coventry was that we get overrun in midfield at times with two up front.

Having said that, until Chair comes back, I would play two up top.

Edit - MW said we ARE looking at bringing in another forward player this month.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 10:16]

Thought we lost momentum and midfield after Amos was taken off and went two up top.

We only got it back with the introduction of Bad-Rash Thomas.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 10:20 - Jan 26 with 1825 viewsPinnerPaul

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 10:17 - Jan 26 by BrianMcCarthy

Thought we lost momentum and midfield after Amos was taken off and went two up top.

We only got it back with the introduction of Bad-Rash Thomas.

Its a difficult one without Chair, no points won for 'controlling' midfield, need goals at the end of it, but on the other hand, you can have the best two in the world up top, but if they don't get the ball...................
Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 10:40 - Jan 26 with 1732 viewsdmm

In reply to a couple of points above:

Jamaica's final WC qualifier is 3rd Feb v Costa Rica so I'd have thought he'd be available for the Borough game.

Armstrong wasn't in the matchday squad last night. Warburton seems to want him out on another loan.
Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 10:44 - Jan 26 with 1701 viewsngbqpr

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 10:16 - Jan 26 by daveB

Been a problem all season we don't create much for the strikers. Last night between them they had 2 chances a header which was offside and the Dykes one at the end. They are not going to score that many if we don't create chances

Agreed. Too many crosses and set pieces straight into the keeper's hands. I love both Stef and Albert, but both were guilty of this last night.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 10:44 - Jan 26 with 1698 viewsngbqpr

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 09:09 - Jan 26 by Rs_Holy

when is Gray back?

Sue?

Report due today apparently.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 10:48 - Jan 26 with 1670 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What concerns me more is that we're only getting 3.5 shots from our strikers (combined) per league game - 95 in 27 games.

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 10:49 - Jan 26 with 1665 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just seen this.

Snap.

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 11:02 - Jan 26 with 1594 viewsnix

Absolutely right. I know that stats aren't everything but our expected goals to actual goals ratio shows that our strikers are actually doing very well given the chances provided. West Brom for instance have far more chances per goals scored.

I'm not sure why, probably a combination of things, like not moving the ball quickly enough so oppo defence has time to get back, poor crossing, sometimes not being decisive enough about getting in the box and just faffing round the outside of the box. Also our central defenders, particularly Dickie, aren't being the ball up like they were at the beginning of the season and providing some impetus and a bit more of the element of surprise, and overloading their defence.
Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 11:08 - Jan 26 with 1570 viewsAntti_Heinola

I think we started the season with attacking abandon, but slowly that's been eroded, and our defence has got much stouter, but our attack a little blunter.

Think there are loads of reasons for this, but the one I feel for is Dykes. Once he scored v Reading last season he was off on a tear for the rest of the season, scoring or assisting in most games, and started this season similarly. Then he got injured, then back, then injured, then on international duty, then injured, then Covid delays. More than anyone else in the side barring Odubajo, he hasn't been able to play consistently in the team all season and get some rhythm. I think there's some hope now that might begin, but he needs that goal or two to just get him on his way, then I think you can rotate Gray/Austin around him and hopefully have Illy and Willy buzzing around him and we can start to look a little more potent again.

I thought we were ok last night, not bad at all, but I have a really uneasy feeling that our scraping of wins could easily turn the other way, but that's just my negative head on. One thing against this is the absolute belief the players seem to have - great interview on TV with Stef and Barbet after the game - realistic, determined, overall confident. ButI'd quite like us to have a couple of really convincing wins at some stage. I don't think we've had one since the Luton game.

Bare bones.

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 11:09 - Jan 26 with 1565 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Our Strikers - Decent or do we need another ??? on 11:02 - Jan 26 by nix

Absolutely right. I know that stats aren't everything but our expected goals to actual goals ratio shows that our strikers are actually doing very well given the chances provided. West Brom for instance have far more chances per goals scored.

I'm not sure why, probably a combination of things, like not moving the ball quickly enough so oppo defence has time to get back, poor crossing, sometimes not being decisive enough about getting in the box and just faffing round the outside of the box. Also our central defenders, particularly Dickie, aren't being the ball up like they were at the beginning of the season and providing some impetus and a bit more of the element of surprise, and overloading their defence.

Very good analysis. They are all factors, I would say.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024