Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hello Eunice 19:31 - Feb 17 with 11936 viewscolinallcars

Looks like it'll be a bit breezy tomorrow.
God, I hope it blows itself out by Saturday, the loss of another Saturday match would be hard to take.
Hello Eunice on 17:17 - Feb 18 with 2201 viewsLimehouseR

This might be a load of rubbish but some one 'in the know' was telling me most of those commercial planes pretty much land themselves and are guided by an automatic system which they only override occasionally to ensure they can still do it manually.
Not sure what I would prefer sat as a passenger in this wind though!
Hello Eunice on 17:31 - Feb 18 with 2138 viewsNorthernr

Hello Eunice on 17:10 - Feb 18 by ozranger

You can't get to Bournemouth today anyway. All trains are cancelled. In fact, i think almost all trains in the southern half of the country are halted. So, at least if you were intending to get there by train, you could not. That said, one hopes that the poor fans can get their money back for the accom which may be harder at this late stage.

I would think given the lack of trains back afterwards the majority would have been road transport today.
Hello Eunice on 17:39 - Feb 18 with 2094 viewsderbyhoop

Walked the dog this afternoon. Barely a breath of wind.

Nice to be 600 kms south of W12

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Hello Eunice on 17:42 - Feb 18 with 2090 viewsHayesender

Hello Eunice on 08:34 - Feb 18 by colinallcars

Are you old enough to remember a bloke on Vespan Rd that repaired motorcycles ?
I think it was called GG Mobike.

Andy, the Greek Cypriot fella?

If its him he died of CJD about 20 year's ago

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Hello Eunice on 17:44 - Feb 18 with 2083 viewsR_from_afar

Hello Eunice on 13:33 - Feb 18 by Match82

Seems like an excuse to roll out some JET puns to me.

Let's try to get the number of views into double figures. He's still strutting his stuff, up in Aberdeen currently. He has a very idiosyncratic penalty taking style:

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Hello Eunice on 17:50 - Feb 18 with 2054 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Hello Eunice on 16:55 - Feb 18 by Northernr

Calling Southend v Grimsby off just before 5pm even more so.

I suppose it’s too late to postpone last Saturday’s game at Barnsley?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Hello Eunice on 17:53 - Feb 18 with 2027 viewsHayesender

As a postie, I've been in the pub since 10am this morning as all deliveries were cancelled.

I've had worse days

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Hello Eunice on 18:08 - Feb 18 with 1959 viewswombat

Hello Eunice on 12:43 - Feb 18 by Northernr

Also the 02 is heading off down the river...

think thats solved the possible issue of the fulham game being moved to the friday night and me having tkts for the 02 that night , cant see that being open for a while

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Login to get fewer ads

Hello Eunice on 18:12 - Feb 18 with 1946 viewsBoston

Hello Eunice on 17:53 - Feb 18 by Hayesender

As a postie, I've been in the pub since 10am this morning as all deliveries were cancelled.

I've had worse days

A lot of wind still to pass then?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Hello Eunice on 18:33 - Feb 18 with 1910 viewsCiderwithRsie

Hello Eunice on 18:39 - Feb 18 with 1892 viewsloftboy

Just lost my garden fence.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Hello Eunice on 18:43 - Feb 18 with 1874 viewscolinallcars

Hello Eunice on 17:42 - Feb 18 by Hayesender

Andy, the Greek Cypriot fella?

If its him he died of CJD about 20 year's ago

If I'm correct, Andy the Greek had a little repair shop in East Acton by the one way system. GG Mobike was a elderly English bloke who would be long gone now. He lived on one side of the road and had his workshop opposite.
This was years before Google of course. We would say something like “ 'ere G, how would I free up a seized exhaust valve ? “ He would say “ Give us 'arf a crown and I'll tell ya”
[Post edited 18 Feb 2022 19:04]
Hello Eunice on 18:44 - Feb 18 with 1857 viewsRanger_Things

Hello Eunice on 18:39 - Feb 18 by loftboy

Have you looked down the back of your sofa?
Hello Eunice on 20:43 - Feb 18 with 1680 viewskensalriser

O2 has just announced it's now a completely covid compliant venue.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Hello Eunice on 21:19 - Feb 18 with 1617 viewskarl

Speaking to a few fishermen over the last couple of weeks and kind of all agreed this is the longest spell of proper stormy wind we’ve had since the oil boat The Braer wind aground on Shetland in 93, that was where they were so glad it kept stormy as the oil got dispersed unbelievably quickly because of it.
Anyhow, as these things have an ironic way of working, today was beautiful up here. It was calm and clear skies with a chill 4/5 degrees Spring air feel to it.
Hope everyone keeps themselves safe as loose stuff flying about in the wind is no joke for sure, we’re lucky as mostly prepared for a good blow but when you only get it now and again I know it can be hairy.
Take care!
[Post edited 18 Feb 2022 21:29]
Hello Eunice on 21:38 - Feb 18 with 1585 viewsaston_hoop

Everyone safe and sound? All good for Hull at home?

Great, can get back to planes. This one is nuts

worst I had was landing in a storm in Cusco, Peru a couple of years ago. Anyone who goes to Peru probably goes to Cusco for Machu Picchu but its located high and in a valley, any storms and the visibility is zero. Got it on the third attempt, pilot didnt say a word over the tannoy about what was happening. Panic on board. They're building a new airport soon

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Hello Eunice on 22:10 - Feb 18 with 1516 viewswood_hoop

Hello Eunice on 17:17 - Feb 18 by LimehouseR

This might be a load of rubbish but some one 'in the know' was telling me most of those commercial planes pretty much land themselves and are guided by an automatic system which they only override occasionally to ensure they can still do it manually.
Not sure what I would prefer sat as a passenger in this wind though!

Not rubbish at all, fly freqently to Santiago de Compestella in Northern Spain , back in the mid eighties only Iberia used to fly there from London, cost a fortune for a 2 hour flight, but always sold out months in advance for the summer flights as many Spanish going back to see relatives and only one flight a day.

This company (Orion I think it was called) managed to convince the Spainish air people to allow them to put a few flights on from Luton during the heaving summer months.

Was on a flight back from Spain and as plane was loading one of the crew asked me If me and my wife spoke English and would we mind flying back with the captain sitting in the cockpit, plane was overbooked and they were desperate for a couple of seats for some kids to get on the flight, had parents/relatives waiting to meet them at Luton.

I'm like a ten year old kid, soon seated with the pilots and they asked us to remain quite while they went through the take off checklist but once airbourne could ask them any thing we liked.

Some list they went through but once up starts punching in this little key board thingy and turns to me and says that's it you can ask me any question you like now.

My first question was who's steering the bloody plane as both pilots were sat back talking about what to have for lunch !

They did explain to me as you were told , the auto pilot could take them to a few hundred feet of the destination runway and I wasn;t to worry, then gave me a running guide as we flew over various points en route, the views you get from the cockpit are brilliant, especially as your landing.

Something I will treasure, especially wth how tight security is now when you get on a plane and knowing just how much the pilots have to do to make sure its a safe flight.

Sorry to ramble but what an experience I had
[Post edited 18 Feb 2022 22:17]
Hello Eunice on 22:47 - Feb 18 with 1435 viewsstowmarketrange

Hello Eunice on 18:39 - Feb 18 by loftboy

Me too.
Hello Eunice on 22:52 - Feb 18 with 1417 viewsMetallica_Hoop

As someome who hates flying I love this channel.

[Post edited 18 Feb 2022 22:53]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Hello Eunice on 23:09 - Feb 18 with 1373 viewsSharpy36

Hello Eunice on 22:10 - Feb 18 by wood_hoop

Not rubbish at all, fly freqently to Santiago de Compestella in Northern Spain , back in the mid eighties only Iberia used to fly there from London, cost a fortune for a 2 hour flight, but always sold out months in advance for the summer flights as many Spanish going back to see relatives and only one flight a day.

This company (Orion I think it was called) managed to convince the Spainish air people to allow them to put a few flights on from Luton during the heaving summer months.

Was on a flight back from Spain and as plane was loading one of the crew asked me If me and my wife spoke English and would we mind flying back with the captain sitting in the cockpit, plane was overbooked and they were desperate for a couple of seats for some kids to get on the flight, had parents/relatives waiting to meet them at Luton.

I'm like a ten year old kid, soon seated with the pilots and they asked us to remain quite while they went through the take off checklist but once airbourne could ask them any thing we liked.

Some list they went through but once up starts punching in this little key board thingy and turns to me and says that's it you can ask me any question you like now.

My first question was who's steering the bloody plane as both pilots were sat back talking about what to have for lunch !

They did explain to me as you were told , the auto pilot could take them to a few hundred feet of the destination runway and I wasn;t to worry, then gave me a running guide as we flew over various points en route, the views you get from the cockpit are brilliant, especially as your landing.

Something I will treasure, especially wth how tight security is now when you get on a plane and knowing just how much the pilots have to do to make sure its a safe flight.

Don`t suppose he asked if you like Gladiator films ?

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Hello Eunice on 23:20 - Feb 18 with 1353 viewslightwaterhoop

In my little part of Surrey we have had no electricity all day.So no central heating either.Fortunately we have spent a great evening in a pub a couple of miles away which is not affected had a great meal and many pints of Tanglefoot, the other half is driving so its not all bad at all.We took an old lady who lives down the road with us and she seems to have enjoyed herself at least it was warm and she could get something to eat.Dont know if our electricity is back on as were just about to leave,if not its torches and electric heaters.
Hello Eunice on 00:32 - Feb 19 with 1254 viewsGloryHunter

Hello Eunice on 22:10 - Feb 18 by wood_hoop

I had a similar experience flying from Alice Springs to Brisbane, in a practically empty plane, back in the days when you could ask to have a look in the cockpit. The pilot and co-pilot were chatting to me and the plane was flying itself. It was a Friday afternoon. The pilot showed me the instrument that said we were due to land at 4 pm, but he said we'd probably be about 30 minutes earlier than that. I asked him, "Is that because we've got a tail wind?" He replied, "No, it's because I'll be having my weekend off"!
Hello Eunice on 07:59 - Feb 19 with 1109 viewsNorthernr

Hello Eunice on 23:09 - Feb 18 by Sharpy36

Don`t suppose he asked if you like Gladiator films ?

Take any prize from the middle shelf
Hello Eunice on 08:24 - Feb 19 with 1048 viewsAirtomoreira

I like the fact that they have a dash cam on the windscreen :-)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024