Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jimmy Carr. 10:28 - Feb 15 with 19904 viewsSnipper

A group of us went to see Jimmy Carr at Indigo O2 on Sunday night, and he was absolutely brilliant.
One early heckler got it for the rest of the show. The poor bloke got absolutely slaughtered. Lol 😂.

Anyway, it was completely sold out, and I wasn’t aware of anybody who was offended.

You know what you’re getting with Jimmy Carr, so if anybody doesn’t like him or his material, then don’t go, or don’t watch him on Netflix or normal television.

He said very early on in his show that he knows he’ll be cancelled coz of that ‘joke’.
The vast majority are having to pander to the very small minority. It’s their way or the highway.

Great comedy will always cause some sort of offence to somebody, whether it’s mother in law jokes, wife jokes, sexual jokes, religious jokes or general dysfunctional jokes.

Sunday was the first time I’d actually seen a proper stand up comedian live, and I’ll definitely go and see more in the future. And I don’t mean left wing political so called comedians like Nish Kumar. He’s as funny as having your nuts cut off with a blunt spoon.
Jimmy Carr. on 10:35 - Feb 15 with 6041 viewsdaveB

I find him quite annoying on tv but his stand up is very good.

What I found odd about this whole Jimmy Carr joke scandal was that i watched his Netflix special with that joke back in December so struggling to understand why it took 2 months for anyone to be offended. I always think with jokes you have to think about the intended target or butt of the joke and those unable to work that out will usually be the ones to get offended.
Jimmy Carr. on 10:36 - Feb 15 with 6031 viewsboysfromthebush

I fully agree with everything you've said there mate but get your tin hat on, it's coming...
Jimmy Carr. on 10:40 - Feb 15 with 5981 viewstoboboly

Jimmy Carr. on 10:35 - Feb 15 by daveB

I find him quite annoying on tv but his stand up is very good.

What I found odd about this whole Jimmy Carr joke scandal was that i watched his Netflix special with that joke back in December so struggling to understand why it took 2 months for anyone to be offended. I always think with jokes you have to think about the intended target or butt of the joke and those unable to work that out will usually be the ones to get offended.

Took that long for someone who is easily offended to watch it

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Jimmy Carr. on 10:43 - Feb 15 with 5971 viewsstowmarketrange

Surely if you think you might be offended by a joke told by a comedian at one of their shows you have 2 choices.You either don’t buy a ticket,or you walk out.I think a tv show might be slightly different as you might just tune in to see what it’s like,but you do have the option of the off button.
I’ve seen a few comedians over the years,but I’ve never been offended by anything I’ve heard.Although the punch up at a John Bishop show offended me more.
Jimmy Carr. on 10:55 - Feb 15 with 5908 viewsknocker

I'm waiting for the woke backlash on here.
Jimmy Carr. on 10:59 - Feb 15 with 5884 viewsPaddyhoops

I've seen both Jimmy Carr and Nish Kumar. They were both brilliant and funny. Am I allowed to like both??
Jimmy Carr. on 11:05 - Feb 15 with 5828 viewsTheChef

Jimmy Carr. on 10:59 - Feb 15 by Paddyhoops

I've seen both Jimmy Carr and Nish Kumar. They were both brilliant and funny. Am I allowed to like both??

No.

It is not allowed.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Jimmy Carr. on 11:12 - Feb 15 with 5776 viewsSydneyRs

I've seen Carr live and he is absolutely brilliant. I was actually in pain from laughing so much. Of quite a few comedians I've seen probably only Billy Connolly was better.

So yes Carr is superb live and I can say that without needing to try and pick a fight with so called "lefties" or "woke" people, many of whom were probably there laughing with me when I saw him.
Login to get fewer ads

Jimmy Carr. on 11:21 - Feb 15 with 5705 viewsWestbourneR

I absolutely defend his right to say but I also defend someone's right to be offended. If one of your relatives had been among of the millions of romany gypsies slaughtered in WWII you might naturally be a quite upset too.

I don't know if any of you have lost a member of your family but I suspect you wouldn't expect people to go around making jokes about how good it was that they'd died. I'd try and imagine how that feels.

So yeah, it's a 'joke'. He can absolutely make it and anyone can or can't go to see him. There can be no cancelling. I generally find Jimmy Carr very funny too - but IMO this gag wasn't funny, it was celebrating Nazi racial genocide.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Jimmy Carr. on 11:23 - Feb 15 with 5696 viewsToast_R

Saw Jimmy Carr at the same venue in the 02 back in October . Enjoyed it a lot. The heckling is half the fun. A rather P*ssed up woman who wouldn't shut up also got slaughtered (in more ways than one). She was certainly a glutton for punishment.

Saw David Baddiel's Trolls not Dolls in November in Guildford and I really like his show too.

I really hate the idea of closing down Comedians for offensive jokes as offence really is subjective. Can't believe Labour MP's were so quick to jump on the bandwagon the other week over Carr's joke and writing their little official MP letters to Netflix to ask them to take his show down. What planet are they on?
Jimmy Carr. on 11:29 - Feb 15 with 5662 viewsEsox_Lucius

Jimmy Carr. on 10:55 - Feb 15 by knocker

I'm waiting for the woke backlash on here.

Is woke an insult? Like snowflake? or Gammon?

The grass is always greener.

Jimmy Carr. on 11:44 - Feb 15 with 5571 viewsknocker

Jimmy Carr. on 11:29 - Feb 15 by Esox_Lucius

Is woke an insult? Like snowflake? or Gammon?

A collection of them all. All guardian readers.
Jimmy Carr. on 11:45 - Feb 15 with 5561 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Talking of funny did anyone see the video of that utter batshit crazy American vegan woman who addressed the Oxford union?

Worth a watch.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Jimmy Carr. on 12:02 - Feb 15 with 5463 viewshamptonhillhoop

Jimmy Carr. on 11:45 - Feb 15 by Metallica_Hoop

Talking of funny did anyone see the video of that utter batshit crazy American vegan woman who addressed the Oxford union?

Worth a watch.

I did, I had to read the comments to find out if it was a joke or not.
Apparently it wasn't
Jimmy Carr. on 12:06 - Feb 15 with 5430 viewsdaveB

Jimmy Carr. on 11:21 - Feb 15 by WestbourneR

I absolutely defend his right to say but I also defend someone's right to be offended. If one of your relatives had been among of the millions of romany gypsies slaughtered in WWII you might naturally be a quite upset too.

I don't know if any of you have lost a member of your family but I suspect you wouldn't expect people to go around making jokes about how good it was that they'd died. I'd try and imagine how that feels.

So yeah, it's a 'joke'. He can absolutely make it and anyone can or can't go to see him. There can be no cancelling. I generally find Jimmy Carr very funny too - but IMO this gag wasn't funny, it was celebrating Nazi racial genocide.

Of course you can get offended I just think things get taken a bit too far these days, it's as if we're looking for reasons to get angry. Jimmy Carr is very hit and miss but he has so many jokes in his stand up if you don't like this one they'll be another along soon. I actually thought there were a few jokes in that special which were worse than the Nazi one but they don't seem to have been picked up yet
Jimmy Carr. on 12:07 - Feb 15 with 5429 viewsStreathamRanger

Didn't we do the whole war on woke thing a week or so ago? I think it's perfectly possible to find Jimmy Carr amusing and also think that one particular joke was pushing it a bit.

Glad you had a good night out. Nice to be able to get out and see live music, comedy etc after a couple of difficult years for the entertainment industry.
Jimmy Carr. on 12:10 - Feb 15 with 5405 viewsngbqpr

Jimmy Carr. on 11:44 - Feb 15 by knocker

A collection of them all. All guardian readers.

How would you define woke?
What makes someone a snowflake?
What typifies a Guardian reader?

As someone who I suspect would often be considered all three, I am genuinely interested.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Jimmy Carr. on 12:11 - Feb 15 with 5386 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Jimmy Carr. on 12:12 - Feb 15 with 5385 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Jimmy Carr. on 12:02 - Feb 15 by hamptonhillhoop

I did, I had to read the comments to find out if it was a joke or not.
Apparently it wasn't

She was mental.

We were watching Leo Kearse's analysis of it yesterday in the office cracking up.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Jimmy Carr. on 12:21 - Feb 15 with 5339 viewswestberksr

Jimmy Carr. on 12:07 - Feb 15 by StreathamRanger

Didn't we do the whole war on woke thing a week or so ago? I think it's perfectly possible to find Jimmy Carr amusing and also think that one particular joke was pushing it a bit.

Glad you had a good night out. Nice to be able to get out and see live music, comedy etc after a couple of difficult years for the entertainment industry.

that pretty much sums it up for me. He's always going to be near the mark and if you are likely to be upset then stay away; but there is always the chance he'll go further than you expect; which is unfortunate

Saw Frankie Boyle recently and he does a similar thing; but slightly less obvious material. Was a very good night, but then I see loads of comedians across the spectrum of taste.

The only time I got annoyed was when a few got very ranty about Brexit; not because I held different views but because I went to be entertained rather than hear them moan about the vote; I had the news and here for that stuff!
[Post edited 15 Feb 2022 12:33]
Jimmy Carr. on 12:23 - Feb 15 with 5329 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm highly offended, I can tell you that.

But I'm not sure at what or at whom, as I haven't heard the joke yet.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Jimmy Carr. on 12:25 - Feb 15 with 5314 viewsRBlock

I quite like Jimmy Carr and think he's pretty funny, so was disappointed by this.

As Westbourne has mentioned, making a joke about the victims of Nazi genocide isn't a joke. Had Jimmy Carr highlighted the slaughter of Jewish people or BAME people as a positive of the Holocaust, Netflix wouldn't have dreamt of putting that out there and he would likely have received immediate backlash at the live show. It is evidence of the wider issue, which is that for some reason racism towards the Gypsy, Roma, and Traveller (GRT) people is deemed as socially acceptable.
Jimmy Carr. on 12:32 - Feb 15 with 5241 viewsR_from_afar

Is the woke not woke debate going to be a weekly feature? Asking for a friend

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Jimmy Carr. on 12:34 - Feb 15 with 5189 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jimmy Carr. on 11:21 - Feb 15 by WestbourneR

Why do I get the impression these same people were sat on iTunes in 2013, frantically downloading "Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead" @ 69p a copy

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Jimmy Carr. on 12:35 - Feb 15 with 5209 viewskensalriser

Another deliberately antagonistic thread looking to make some sort of cack-handed political point.

Anyone know when Rangers are next playing?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024