Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Online Dating Apps (*NON QPR) 09:47 - Jul 11 with 1793 viewsthame_hoops

SO I finally succumbed to the world of dating apps (I'm 44 and swore id never use one)

Ive been on an app called Bumble for a week now, the rules are the lady has to make first contact... had 2 'dates' so far, or as I called them 'initial meeting to suss each other out'

First was out Reading way for a lunchtime coffee, with a lady who was really into cricket BUT a total nightclub girl and a completely different personality to the messages we exchanged. In order to relate to me liking football, she Kept going on about how she goes out clubbing and EPL footballers are always buying her and her mates champagne in the VIP rooms.....

2nd 'date' was at a lovely pub friday night in Uxbridge (the Malt Shovel) I was a little bit catfished by her photos....id say the photos were 5 years old... again, nice girl, good job, after 2 wines she started crying and wouldn't stop talking about her 'toxic' ex ... when i got home she sent me a nice message apologising.

I think going forward the first 'dates' will be on the video chat feature on the app

anyone got any advice/funny stories so far?

Online Dating Apps (*NON QPR) on 10:21 - Jul 11 with 1702 viewsWelsh_Ranger

You might want to try Hinge aswell, its quite good! It depends at times how much baggage you can handle really, as noted by the 2nd date. Also probably plenty more options in and around the London area compared to little old Cardiff.

Only advice id offer is get that first date done quickly aslong as you are both comfortable the amount of times conversation stops as the person has found someone else to chat to. Internet dating can be massively fickle, just like real life tbh.

Best of luck
Online Dating Apps (*NON QPR) on 10:30 - Jul 11 with 1670 viewsJuzzie

Sounds like nothing has changed much when I gave it a go some 15+ years ago.

I tried to be honest in my profile (i.e. not putting down what I think they want to hear/see) and an up to date photo, unfiltered etc.

There was a caveat that after the first meet up, if either party didn't want to continue then that was it. No reasons needed, persistent contact thereafter not allowed etc.

Definitely a couple of catfish photos and profiles not quite matching how they portrayed themselves in person (maybe what we think of ourselves is different to how we actually are?).

I think I went on 4 or 5 but then stopped as each one was just a waste of time.

One girl turned up to the pub with her sister. Just to make sure I wasn't some kind of axe murderer.... in a pub.

OK, fine, no problem with that. Happy for the three of us to sit together then her sister goes once it's clear I'm not an axe murderer. So, I went to the bar to get three drinks and when I got back they were trying to chat up two blokes on the next table.
It was clear the blokes weren't interested and I know they had girlfriends 'cos I got to the pub early and they were talking about them. It seemed oblivious to the girls they weren't interested.

So, I sat there like a mug for about 20 minutes then once I finished my drink I got up and left and said the the main girl that I'm not surprised she's single if that's how she treats people and that I'm glad to find out then than possibly later.

The look on her face was a peach, completely oblivious to her own behavior.

Another one I went on she kept going on about this bloke she met a few days before and how she'd shagged him on his office desk. Yeah love, that's really interesting to me isn't it. Maybe I could have turned that around to be some kind of 'sure thing' but no, not really. I actually found it off putting.

Best of luck!

[Post edited 11 Jul 2022 16:14]
Online Dating Apps (*NON QPR) on 10:39 - Jul 11 with 1617 viewsloftboy

I met my mrs on match.com literally 3 weeks after my 1st marriage broke up!
Before I met her I travelled to Eastleigh one Saturday to meet a Woman I had been talking to on there, she looks quite “tidy” in her pics. When I met her I discovered her photo was at least ten years out of date, she looked like Zelda from terra hawks, I made my excuses and was in the next train back.
Been with my mrs for nearly 7 years now, been married for 1 and have a lovely home in Lowestoft.
She was living in Plaistow when we met hence why I moved there in 2017.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Online Dating Apps (*NON QPR) on 10:41 - Jul 11 with 1612 viewsDavieQPR

For years I thought Screwfix was a dating site.
Online Dating Apps (*NON QPR) on 10:42 - Jul 11 with 1609 viewsthame_hoops

Online Dating Apps (*NON QPR) on 10:21 - Jul 11 by Welsh_Ranger

You might want to try Hinge aswell, its quite good! It depends at times how much baggage you can handle really, as noted by the 2nd date. Also probably plenty more options in and around the London area compared to little old Cardiff.

Only advice id offer is get that first date done quickly aslong as you are both comfortable the amount of times conversation stops as the person has found someone else to chat to. Internet dating can be massively fickle, just like real life tbh.

Best of luck

aha yes, makes sense to get the first date done quick....I've had a couple of people ask me for a drink after just a small message exchange... this is why. then.. just when you're having nice chats...BOOM they disappear with no explanation.

Living in a small village isn't great, but when i travel into London i get more 'matches' Last Friday i had around 15... of maybe 3 were ok... an di think 2 messages me.... like throwing mud against a wall!
Online Dating Apps (*NON QPR) on 10:44 - Jul 11 with 1593 viewsthame_hoops

Online Dating Apps (*NON QPR) on 10:30 - Jul 11 by Juzzie

Sounds like nothing has changed much when I gave it a go some 15+ years ago.

I tried to be honest in my profile (i.e. not putting down what I think they want to hear/see) and an up to date photo, unfiltered etc.

There was a caveat that after the first meet up, if either party didn't want to continue then that was it. No reasons needed, persistent contact thereafter not allowed etc.

Definitely a couple of catfish photos and profiles not quite matching how they portrayed themselves in person (maybe what we think of ourselves is different to how we actually are?).

I think I went on 4 or 5 but then stopped as each one was just a waste of time.

One girl turned up to the pub with her sister. Just to make sure I wasn't some kind of axe murderer.... in a pub.

OK, fine, no problem with that. Happy for the three of us to sit together then her sister goes once it's clear I'm not an axe murderer. So, I went to the bar to get three drinks and when I got back they were trying to chat up two blokes on the next table.
It was clear the blokes weren't interested and I know they had girlfriends 'cos I got to the pub early and they were talking about them. It seemed oblivious to the girls they weren't interested.

So, I sat there like a mug for about 20 minutes then once I finished my drink I got up and left and said the the main girl that I'm not surprised she's single if that's how she treats people and that I'm glad to find out then than possibly later.

The look on her face was a peach, completely oblivious to her own behavior.

Another one I went on she kept going on about this bloke she met a few days before and how she'd shagged him on his office desk. Yeah love, that's really interesting to me isn't it. Maybe I could have turned that around to be some kind of 'sure thing' but no, not really. I actually found it off putting.

Best of luck!

[Post edited 11 Jul 2022 16:14]

oh eek, not good!

I try and spot filtered photos a mile off... the stupid face smoothing things irritates me.

also, I'm avoiding 'Instagram girls' their photos are all the same... 'Standing in front of the Eiffel tower with back to camera' 'standing up against a wall with painted angel wings' haha
Online Dating Apps (*NON QPR) on 10:59 - Jul 11 with 1524 viewsthame_hoops

Online Dating Apps (*NON QPR) on 10:39 - Jul 11 by loftboy

I met my mrs on match.com literally 3 weeks after my 1st marriage broke up!
Before I met her I travelled to Eastleigh one Saturday to meet a Woman I had been talking to on there, she looks quite “tidy” in her pics. When I met her I discovered her photo was at least ten years out of date, she looked like Zelda from terra hawks, I made my excuses and was in the next train back.
Been with my mrs for nearly 7 years now, been married for 1 and have a lovely home in Lowestoft.
She was living in Plaistow when we met hence why I moved there in 2017.

I think I remember when you split form you wife, didn't she take you for a ride with medical costs or something? sorry if I've got that wrong
Online Dating Apps (*NON QPR) on 11:33 - Jul 11 with 1410 views1MoreBrightonR

I think, as a man, i was always an optimist on the photos...ie if there were 3 were she didn't look great, and 1 good one, i'd go for it and then realise the 3 was the reality....so my advice is to go with probabilities on the photos!

Also agree its good to get the date out of the way quite early in the chat...often the people I got along best with and chatted to most were the most disappointing dates. You've both created too much of a picture in your head of the other person and their personality, so it's a let down.

i was younger (early 30s) when I did it and just out of a long relationship but I loved it at the time. you cant take it seriously...its very easy come easy go and you cant get offended if someone goes quiet on you (they could be talking/dating multiple people at the very start), but once you get used to that, it's pretty fun.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2022 11:35]
Login to get fewer ads

Online Dating Apps (*NON QPR) on 11:38 - Jul 11 with 1370 viewsloftboy

Online Dating Apps (*NON QPR) on 10:59 - Jul 11 by thame_hoops

I think I remember when you split form you wife, didn't she take you for a ride with medical costs or something? sorry if I've got that wrong

Yep pretty much so. Paid 5 grand for a tummy tuck in Poland then met some bloke on the internet and the rest as they say is history.
We now probably get on better then we did when we were married, I see my kids regularly and the bloke she went off with ,( they are now married) is actually quite a nice bloke and always makes me welcome when I go up north to visit.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024