Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 18:20 - Aug 6 with 9746 viewsBlackCrowe

Are you not entertained....flipping great match. Willock has seriously bulked up, he should be monstrous this season. Big shout out to Stef and Dykes who had great games as did the back line.

Many many positives except that we sat too deep in the second half but overall top stuff. And we handled the Chloe Kelly bringing ball on and half time stuff really really well.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Just back on 22:10 - Aug 6 with 2664 viewsaston_hoop

I really thought Amos made a big difference, having someone in midfield closing them down and hassling them really helped. I hate to hate on Dozzell but it can be like playing with 10 men sometimes with him in the team. Obviously Amos faded but his fitness will return, I'd love to have another Amos as backup though! Also thought Dickie had a really good game today

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Just back on 22:14 - Aug 6 with 2637 viewsMick_S

Just back on 21:40 - Aug 6 by NorthantsHoop

I thought the ref and linesmen were good standard today. Ref got all the cards right and tried to keep the game flowing, as we know they have been instructed to stop timewasting and letting a little more physicality be allowed.

Thought they did well. I think we’ve all seen a lot worse.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Just back on 22:32 - Aug 6 with 2545 viewsdavman

Ref was nothing special. Let stuff go and his failure to let play continue when Chair was through.

What a game. Never felt safe even at 3-0 and fully expected to lose that once they got their first one back (of course I did).

Some thoughts:
1. The atmosphere was great. We started well; the team started well. All looked good early doors.
2. What. A. Goal. Just when you were wondering if that injury had taken it out of him, bang. The boy is MUSTARD. Who'd take £15m for him today? £10m?£7m? This is the season to really cash in, but...
3. Lyndon turned up. Did very little wrong in the first half and got a goal. There were a couple of crosses in the second half that he really should be attacking, but overall, that'll do. I stood up and clapped him off - did well.
4. The heat was INTENSE. People criticising the fall off in the high press need to take a look at themselves. The heat must come at you from above, below and all around in that stadium. 'Boro threatened to blow us away with their second half response, but, like us, they ran out of steam. The last thirty minutes was a bit of cat and mouse. Could they break us down when their energy stocks were fading?
5. Substitutions. The one thing Beale got wrong for me was leaving subs too long. Willock, Jojo, Amos, Chair, Dykes were blowing long before they got the hook. Dykes, in particular should have gone 10 mins before.
6. Bonne. I think he gets a rough ride from us. He does not deserve to start on the bench as much as he does. Whatever you all think of him and whatever he thinks of his situation, he puts a shift in when he comes on and I am getting more convinced that there is a player in there. He joined the fun in the corner and was away before getting cut short in his prime.
7. Offside. Was it? Who cares. It stayed at 2. Phew.

My dad (82) expected a 0-0, but he had fun and he doesn't really like football.

Yes, Rangers!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Just back on 22:41 - Aug 6 with 2480 viewsHooparoo

Was thinking when I went to bed that I’d take a point so a lovely surprise to wake up and see three points. New shirts look good with the red numbers 😎

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Just back on 22:46 - Aug 6 with 2463 viewsAntti_Heinola

Just back on 21:04 - Aug 6 by BlackCrowe

Thought Paal looked v good in first half, less so in the second. Ossie is not quite upto the level i reckon...such an honest pro, so want him to do well and prove me wrong but he's squad player at best i think alas.

of the two, i felt Ossie was streets ahead of Paal today. Am sure Paal will settle, but Ossie had a good game, and i don't really get why people are so down on him.

Bare bones.

Just back on 22:55 - Aug 6 with 2406 viewsdanehoop

Just back on 22:46 - Aug 6 by Antti_Heinola

of the two, i felt Ossie was streets ahead of Paal today. Am sure Paal will settle, but Ossie had a good game, and i don't really get why people are so down on him.

Think the more he plays the better he will get. Was in and out so much last season it must be difficult. He has limitations, but today thought he was pretty damn solid and seems to be getting int what Beale wants from him. Hope that his confidence continues to grow.

Never knowingly understood

Just back on 23:02 - Aug 6 with 2352 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Just back on 22:46 - Aug 6 by Antti_Heinola

Shows that football is all about opinions. I thought Paal was excellent, though I'm in Ellerslie, so second half he was over the opposite side. Kakay always puts effort in but his positional play is still all over the place. The main thing was we started well and they didn't. As they came back into it, we pressed less and they benefited. I assume that was a fitness thing. Beale used his subs well and we got over the line.
Just back on 23:14 - Aug 6 with 2288 viewsterryb

Just back on 22:32 - Aug 6 by davman

Ref was nothing special. Let stuff go and his failure to let play continue when Chair was through.

What a game. Never felt safe even at 3-0 and fully expected to lose that once they got their first one back (of course I did).

Some thoughts:
1. The atmosphere was great. We started well; the team started well. All looked good early doors.
2. What. A. Goal. Just when you were wondering if that injury had taken it out of him, bang. The boy is MUSTARD. Who'd take £15m for him today? £10m?£7m? This is the season to really cash in, but...
3. Lyndon turned up. Did very little wrong in the first half and got a goal. There were a couple of crosses in the second half that he really should be attacking, but overall, that'll do. I stood up and clapped him off - did well.
4. The heat was INTENSE. People criticising the fall off in the high press need to take a look at themselves. The heat must come at you from above, below and all around in that stadium. 'Boro threatened to blow us away with their second half response, but, like us, they ran out of steam. The last thirty minutes was a bit of cat and mouse. Could they break us down when their energy stocks were fading?
5. Substitutions. The one thing Beale got wrong for me was leaving subs too long. Willock, Jojo, Amos, Chair, Dykes were blowing long before they got the hook. Dykes, in particular should have gone 10 mins before.
6. Bonne. I think he gets a rough ride from us. He does not deserve to start on the bench as much as he does. Whatever you all think of him and whatever he thinks of his situation, he puts a shift in when he comes on and I am getting more convinced that there is a player in there. He joined the fun in the corner and was away before getting cut short in his prime.
7. Offside. Was it? Who cares. It stayed at 2. Phew.

My dad (82) expected a 0-0, but he had fun and he doesn't really like football.

Yes, Rangers!

The flag was up directly the ball was played through to the wide player, It wasn't the goalscorer who was given off. I've not seen any replay that showa across the line, but we knew it had been given before he played the ball into the middle.
Login to get fewer ads

Just back on 23:44 - Aug 6 with 2181 viewsParkRoyalR

Just back on 23:02 - Aug 6 by Wegerles_Stairs

Shows that football is all about opinions. I thought Paal was excellent, though I'm in Ellerslie, so second half he was over the opposite side. Kakay always puts effort in but his positional play is still all over the place. The main thing was we started well and they didn't. As they came back into it, we pressed less and they benefited. I assume that was a fitness thing. Beale used his subs well and we got over the line.

I have you 100% right Wegerle, like Ossie as a lad but his positional play is all over the place, one pass inside him and another being caught square on was like someone had never played full-back before, great lad but never a starter.

Doesn't help Dickie is so quiet beside him and just doesn't talk or help him positionally.
Just back on 23:54 - Aug 6 with 2171 viewssdm1508

Was surprised how little Paal pushed forward. Defe8will get better but pleasantly surprised how many headers he one. Seems very cultured with a good jump. Certain aspects reminder me of Clive Wilson with certain aspects of his play One thing I always notice with Kaykay. If he receives the ball and has space to run into he doesn't drive forward in a direct line. He always seems to go on a diagonal and head to the touch line rather than drive forward. Always think he could be further forward but chooses to head towards the touchline almost like he doesn't trust himself further up the pitch
Just back on 00:23 - Aug 7 with 2087 viewsWatfordR

A few bits that occurred to me:

How fitting it would have been had Willock's goal been scored during the tenth minute applause.

I'd really like someone to explain to me the theory behind bringing everybody back to defend corners. I don't really want to knock it because I can't remember seeing teams doing it as a matter of tactical preference, so there's got to be some idea behind it. But to my mind, if you leave one pacy player upfront, that brings two defenders back, which leaves you with a two man defensive advantage. Just seems counter productive.

When MB talked about us not peaking too early, but keeping ourselves in a position to challenge for top six at the business end of the season, this game summed up what he was on about I think. We've got three points, we were good in parts, but there's lots to improve on.

It was a really important game to win having been 3 up, but the fact we steadied the ship well in the last 20-25 minutes will do much for belief. Plenty of times last season we failed to stem the tide, even in some of the games we went on to win (Cov away anyone?)

Finally, the ref. Not great, but not quite as poor as some we had last year. I believe the edict given down this year is to try to let games flow, so the free kick award when Chair was through in the first half was hard to excuse. The lack of a yellow card for the challenge on Chair in the second was just incomprehensible, particularly when Johansen was carded for a similarly cynical foul in a very similar area of the pitch five minutes later. I also thought Kakay should have had a pen towards the end of the first half, though it was quite a way away from where I was, so maybe I'm wrong on that. Thankfully none of these decisions influenced the outcome.

Very enjoyable, though just occasionally I wouldn't mind watching a game that isn't specifically designed to give me a heart attack!!
Just back on 07:58 - Aug 7 with 1752 viewsderbyhoop

Just back on 18:52 - Aug 6 by Antti_Heinola

Thought the ref was pretty poor. 4/10 for me.

I don't get that. He got all the cards right.
Sure, he missed 1 time when he could have played an advantage. Other than that what did he do wrong?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Just back on 08:10 - Aug 7 with 1713 viewsdmm

Good point re everyone back for corners, Watford. During the game we were talking about that too, and don't really understand it either.

Another tactical conundrum we were talking about is why does Beale want us so narrow when defending? It vacates the spaces in the wide areas.
Just back on 09:15 - Aug 7 with 1536 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just back on 00:23 - Aug 7 by WatfordR

A few bits that occurred to me:

How fitting it would have been had Willock's goal been scored during the tenth minute applause.

I'd really like someone to explain to me the theory behind bringing everybody back to defend corners. I don't really want to knock it because I can't remember seeing teams doing it as a matter of tactical preference, so there's got to be some idea behind it. But to my mind, if you leave one pacy player upfront, that brings two defenders back, which leaves you with a two man defensive advantage. Just seems counter productive.

When MB talked about us not peaking too early, but keeping ourselves in a position to challenge for top six at the business end of the season, this game summed up what he was on about I think. We've got three points, we were good in parts, but there's lots to improve on.

It was a really important game to win having been 3 up, but the fact we steadied the ship well in the last 20-25 minutes will do much for belief. Plenty of times last season we failed to stem the tide, even in some of the games we went on to win (Cov away anyone?)

Finally, the ref. Not great, but not quite as poor as some we had last year. I believe the edict given down this year is to try to let games flow, so the free kick award when Chair was through in the first half was hard to excuse. The lack of a yellow card for the challenge on Chair in the second was just incomprehensible, particularly when Johansen was carded for a similarly cynical foul in a very similar area of the pitch five minutes later. I also thought Kakay should have had a pen towards the end of the first half, though it was quite a way away from where I was, so maybe I'm wrong on that. Thankfully none of these decisions influenced the outcome.

Very enjoyable, though just occasionally I wouldn't mind watching a game that isn't specifically designed to give me a heart attack!!

"I'd really like someone to explain to me the theory behind bringing everybody back to defend corners."

Have never understood teams doing that either.
For us, it makes sense to bring Dykes back and I can also see that you bring Willock back as he's useful defensively plus with his pace and dribbling he's your first out ball for the break.
But surely if you leave Ilias up it costs you nothing defensively plus they have to leave two back?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Just back on 09:21 - Aug 7 with 1494 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just back on 08:10 - Aug 7 by dmm

Good point re everyone back for corners, Watford. During the game we were talking about that too, and don't really understand it either.

Another tactical conundrum we were talking about is why does Beale want us so narrow when defending? It vacates the spaces in the wide areas.

Great question.

"Another tactical conundrum we were talking about is why does Beale want us so narrow when defending? It vacates the spaces in the wide areas."

I thought this was the key to the match and was wondering how it looked to people at the match, because it's hard to read on a stream.

Generally, I think we'd all prefer to block the middle, buying time to get bodies back, and then take our chances that we can get out to the crossers (wing-backs in this case) or, failing that, defend the crosses.

Better that situation than last year's where too many teams steamed through the middle before we got enough bodies back.

But yesterday I wondered if we might have been a bit *too* narrow? Also, could we have made the move to double up on Giles a bit sooner, or would that have just invited their counter-move after we used our main subs?

There's some stuff we really can't judge off the stream, and you have to see live, so good to hear 'just back's on that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Just back on 09:32 - Aug 7 with 1440 viewsEsox_Lucius

I thought Kakay had a superb game handling the RWB(Giles) that 'boro decided was a better option than Djed Spence. He has been consistently one of our better players every game since Beale took over and I struggle to understand why fans have picked him for this seasons scapegoat, along with Dykes, when he is literally one of our own. Thank your deity that the coaching staff know better than the fans.

The grass is always greener.

Just back on 09:54 - Aug 7 with 1379 viewsDannytheR

Just back on 09:32 - Aug 7 by Esox_Lucius

I thought Kakay had a superb game handling the RWB(Giles) that 'boro decided was a better option than Djed Spence. He has been consistently one of our better players every game since Beale took over and I struggle to understand why fans have picked him for this seasons scapegoat, along with Dykes, when he is literally one of our own. Thank your deity that the coaching staff know better than the fans.

Because Kakay is seen as being a symbol of the Les/Ramsey set up, having come through the ranks and been given a long contract. So always gets lumped in with Hamaleinen as a sign of Les' general evil and our lack of competence and ambition.

Thought he did really well yesterday, kicking on after a good pre-season and from being one of the very few bright-ish spots against Blackburn. He's never going to be Paul Parker, but when he plays like he has for the last couple of games, he's a decent Championship RB.

Also happy to have had Dykes make me eat my words yesterday. Long may it continue!
[Post edited 7 Aug 2022 9:55]
Just back on 10:01 - Aug 7 with 1354 viewsPunteR

Just back on 09:54 - Aug 7 by DannytheR

Because Kakay is seen as being a symbol of the Les/Ramsey set up, having come through the ranks and been given a long contract. So always gets lumped in with Hamaleinen as a sign of Les' general evil and our lack of competence and ambition.

Thought he did really well yesterday, kicking on after a good pre-season and from being one of the very few bright-ish spots against Blackburn. He's never going to be Paul Parker, but when he plays like he has for the last couple of games, he's a decent Championship RB.

Also happy to have had Dykes make me eat my words yesterday. Long may it continue!
[Post edited 7 Aug 2022 9:55]

Because Kakay is seen as being a symbol of the Les/Ramsey set up,

Really.. ?
Not from this message board. not what ive seen or read anyway.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Just back on 10:07 - Aug 7 with 1303 viewsParkRoyalR

Just back on 10:01 - Aug 7 by PunteR

Because Kakay is seen as being a symbol of the Les/Ramsey set up,

Really.. ?
Not from this message board. not what ive seen or read anyway.

Not met an R's fan who doesn't like Kakay, all want the best for him, just for me his positional play is a real concern.
Just back on 10:21 - Aug 7 with 1256 viewsdmm

Just back on 10:07 - Aug 7 by ParkRoyalR

Not met an R's fan who doesn't like Kakay, all want the best for him, just for me his positional play is a real concern.

Yep, he's a likable lad and has always shown an excellent attitude. But that Beale has been looking to bring in a right back would seem to suggest Kakay's not quite at the level we need. Nonetheless, Kakay is good cover.
Just back on 10:24 - Aug 7 with 1235 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 18:52 - Aug 6 by Antti_Heinola

Thought the ref was pretty poor. 4/10 for me.

Why?
Just back on 10:26 - Aug 7 with 1212 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 20:15 - Aug 6 by eastside_r

Think there’s a +1 service as well if you want to stay out for another couple

and its repeated om main channel Sunday am - too late for today obviously!

Also on late Sat night on main channel as well I think.
Just back on 10:29 - Aug 7 with 1176 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 20:16 - Aug 6 by stanistheman

A great game for the neutrals, but a game of two halves.

For QPR it was excellent with a great goal of the season contender from Willock (an outstanding performance given he hasn't played since March).

Good games from Dieng and the defence and Johansen, Field & Dykes. I thought Amos was good in the 1st half but looked to be tiring in the 2nd (again understandable).

Chair was not on his game today.

What I was not impressed with was the so called high press we are supposed to be playing this season. It was nearly non existent in the 2nd half as we sat deep and let Boro settle and pick out their passes. Thank *** that the Linesman flagged their 'equaliser' offside.

I agree with the poster who said Dykes is not the striker for this. Although he played quite well today I thought Bonne was better at pressing when he came on.

Its a tad easier 'pressing' for 5 minutes in that heat, than the 85 Dykes was asked to do.

Closed down one of their players for a throw in the 80th minute right in front of R block - not sure what more you want - but you ain't going to get it from anyone else in that position on our budget!

Oh and he scored the winner as well!
Just back on 10:32 - Aug 7 with 1150 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 21:40 - Aug 6 by NorthantsHoop

I thought the ref and linesmen were good standard today. Ref got all the cards right and tried to keep the game flowing, as we know they have been instructed to stop timewasting and letting a little more physicality be allowed.

Missed one obvious yellow (Number 2 on Chair 2nd half) but otherwise yes I agree, good performance.

Wilder not so happy!
Just back on 10:38 - Aug 7 with 1117 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 09:21 - Aug 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Great question.

"Another tactical conundrum we were talking about is why does Beale want us so narrow when defending? It vacates the spaces in the wide areas."

I thought this was the key to the match and was wondering how it looked to people at the match, because it's hard to read on a stream.

Generally, I think we'd all prefer to block the middle, buying time to get bodies back, and then take our chances that we can get out to the crossers (wing-backs in this case) or, failing that, defend the crosses.

Better that situation than last year's where too many teams steamed through the middle before we got enough bodies back.

But yesterday I wondered if we might have been a bit *too* narrow? Also, could we have made the move to double up on Giles a bit sooner, or would that have just invited their counter-move after we used our main subs?

There's some stuff we really can't judge off the stream, and you have to see live, so good to hear 'just back's on that.

He's spoken about that. Its about deliberately pushing the oppo out wide when they have the ball as (in theory) they can do less damage wide than through the middle.

2nd half 'wobble' it was noticeable how many balls they got through to a player right in the middle of fop.

I guess the thinking is, if its out wide you have more time to set for the cross or next phase of play?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024