Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column 17:02 - Aug 24 with 10637 viewsNorthernr

Some of you may remember at the end of last season our regular poster Robith lost his father to cancer. I had a conversation with him at the time about the 'going back to Loftus Road' bit of the grieving process that so many of us have been through.

A few weeks later he got in touch with this piece, which he said had been cathartic to write in tribute to Terry, and it is absolutely my privilege to publish for him today.

You R's.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/58345
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 17:16 - Aug 24 with 5069 viewsJeff

F*ck me, i'm in absolute floods here.

A wonderful, moving, and dare say it inspiring piece of writing. Both a joy and torment to read at the same time.

brings back some painful and all to real memories of my step father passing away in similar circumstances a few years ago.

Well done for writing that. I hope it was cathartic x

Can we not knock it?

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 17:19 - Aug 24 with 5040 viewsrobith

I would really like to thank Clive for taking the time to talk about moving on, taking the time to read it and giving it a place to live. I'm really really grateful to both him and this community we have on here for all your kind words at the time
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 17:20 - Aug 24 with 5033 viewsrobith

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 17:16 - Aug 24 by Jeff

F*ck me, i'm in absolute floods here.

A wonderful, moving, and dare say it inspiring piece of writing. Both a joy and torment to read at the same time.

brings back some painful and all to real memories of my step father passing away in similar circumstances a few years ago.

Well done for writing that. I hope it was cathartic x

I'm sorry that you've also been through that my friend. And it feels weird to say it, but it was. Writing this really brought me a lot of peace
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 17:20 - Aug 24 with 5028 viewsStreathamRanger

What a lovely tribute to your dad, Robith. My dad turns 90 this year and has not been for a while as he's a bit frail and lacking in confidence. Reading about your memories with your dad has made me more determined to get him down to Loftus Road at least once this season.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 17:29 - Aug 24 with 4964 viewsterryb

Wow!

Thank you Rob, it was an absolute privilege to read & I'm so pleased that you found it cathartic.

From one Terry to another, you have a son to be proud of.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 17:38 - Aug 24 with 4903 viewsswitchingcode

Wonderful sad and funny sad read that many of an age like myself bring back memories of the passing of their dads.How proud your dad will be reading that up there good luck to you and hopefully as life goes on you will mostly smile when you think back to your times with Dad.I do and although 8 years have past i think about him every day.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 17:39 - Aug 24 with 4912 viewsHarbour

Thanks for sharing Robith your Dad sounds like a wonderful Dad and your a credit to him. Had a tear in my eye your Dad trying to get on the pitch …
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 17:43 - Aug 24 with 4895 viewsTeddRanger

Beautiful and moving.
Login to get fewer ads

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 17:51 - Aug 24 with 4854 viewssoops

What a beautiful piece and lovely tribute to your Dad.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 17:54 - Aug 24 with 4840 viewsBrianWilson

Lovely tribute..

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 17:57 - Aug 24 with 4814 viewsessextaxiboy

That was sad and uplifting in one . What a brilliant dad RIP
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 18:31 - Aug 24 with 4698 viewsqprd

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 17:19 - Aug 24 by robith

I would really like to thank Clive for taking the time to talk about moving on, taking the time to read it and giving it a place to live. I'm really really grateful to both him and this community we have on here for all your kind words at the time

RIP to your father

What a beautiful piece

Wishing you all the best mate
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 18:40 - Aug 24 with 4658 viewspaulparker

Your dad sounds a fighter and an old school kind of guy
Fair play to him for fighting it so long and with dignity

Your post around the sheff Utd game left a mark on me as I had just finished treatment for a brain tumor and was in a bit of a state physically & mentally, I echo your comments about sorting out your affairs before our numbers are called (get it done people)

Hope things are getting easier for you , time is a great healer

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 18:53 - Aug 24 with 4601 viewslarsricchi

Robert, thank you for sharing with the LFW family. A beautiful story, beautifully written. I'm an editor by trade, with some talented writers on my team, and this is on par with anything I've read in recent memory. Cheers.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 18:53 - Aug 24 with 4594 viewsPhildo

My goodness that was lovely-and heartbreaking - to read. Thank you for sharing that. It is why the silly game means so much. We lost my uncle in the summer who was the reason the whole family support the club as he had been there since the early sixties and my cousin his daughter has not been able to be face going back just yet and look at that seat in the lower loft next to her. There is indeed more that unites us……
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 19:04 - Aug 24 with 4516 viewsqpr_1968

fantastic write up, and rip to your father robith.

when i read these pieces my mind wanders and its almost like reading about my own father, who died in very different circumstances, but this was a very powerful read and it just drew me in.....emotional to say the least.

thanks for posting that north.....

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 19:10 - Aug 24 with 4480 viewsPaddyhoops

Beautiful piece Robert and very timely.
My own dad is receiving palliative care back in Ireland at the moment so for me it very poignant.
I’ve been back and forth to Ireland on a regular basis in the last few weeks and I am dreading the call to say his time is nearly up.
Same as you my love of sport came from him and coming a from a small county (Roscommon) who punched above their weight at GAA and and still do , QPR was a perfect fit.
My “ould fella” never really had a team . As an immigrant here in the fifties and sixties and living in Boston Manor he went to as many George best games as he could fit in and he still insists he was at Brentford and Preston Knob end the night I was born in Chiswick maternity hospital.
It was the mid sixties so none of that staying with your partner malarkey.
Love your story and I love the fact Rangers that has Irish running through a vast swathe of its supporters.
Love your Dads.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 19:14 - Aug 24 with 4447 viewsessextaxiboy

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 18:40 - Aug 24 by paulparker

Your dad sounds a fighter and an old school kind of guy
Fair play to him for fighting it so long and with dignity

Your post around the sheff Utd game left a mark on me as I had just finished treatment for a brain tumor and was in a bit of a state physically & mentally, I echo your comments about sorting out your affairs before our numbers are called (get it done people)

Hope things are getting easier for you , time is a great healer

Hope you are ok mate ?
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 19:14 - Aug 24 with 4446 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Gorgeous writing, Robith.

A beautiful tribute to your Ol' Man. He sounds like he was a Gent of the highest order.

Ar dheis Dé. And much love to you.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 19:18 - Aug 24 with 4422 viewsHugey

Beautiful and poignant, thanks so much for sharing it.

Your dad almost going on the pitch after Charlie's West Brom winner had me laughing and crying all at once.

U Rs.
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 19:24 - Aug 24 with 4382 viewsPunteR

Ah man.. that was an emotional read.
A beautiful piece of writing and a good reminder to look out for each other and our loved ones. Life is precious.
Take care Rob x

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 19:38 - Aug 24 with 4336 viewsdaveB

That was absolutely beautiful, I was hoping he’d make the West Brom game when i started reading it and the story was just so sad but beautiful.

For him to have been there for that Austin goal was great and must have been an incredible day for you both. It’s amazing the connection we all feel with the club and big part it plays in our lives.

It’s sad how quick I got away from being desperate to get to a game during covid to being fed up of it all again because we lost a few games. This story has woken me up a bit from that trance

I think most of us can relate to the story as well, going to games with family and friends and that fear of what will happen when they are not there anymore.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 19:43 - Aug 24 with 4308 viewsJamieNaz

Hey Rob, very dusty in here.
Lovely lovely piece.

Cheers
Jamie (from DiS)

I'll message you next time I'm down to see if you fancy a beer
Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 19:47 - Aug 24 with 4279 viewsMick_S

Beautifully put, Rob. All the best to you and your people.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Me, The Auld Fella and Charlie Austin — Column on 19:48 - Aug 24 with 4272 viewsToast_R

A beautifully written tribute to your dad. RIP Terry

Thanks for sharing your story.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024