Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... 16:36 - Sep 24 with 10208 viewsDiscodroids

Going to see Kim Wilde tonight in Westcliff, Southend . I literally have less than zero interest in going but promised 'er indoors i would go when the tickets were booked back in December.

I know two of her records. 'kids in America' and 'Cambodia'. I've had a face on like Nelly pledge all afternoon. Bollocks.

As a Beacon of Hope, has anyone been to a gig they were dreading but turned out ok?

The closest i can recall was being made to see Howard Jones 5 years ago. It turned out ok as i got him mixed up with Thomas Dolby.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2022 16:56]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 21:53 - Sep 26 with 2022 viewsNewBee

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 16:55 - Sep 24 by BrianMcCarthy

Van Morrison in The Point in Dublin.

Love his music, but I can't stand the miserable hoor himself. I knew he could be awful live and I'd gotten to the stage of begrudging him my rolled up tenner.

Anyway, it was a group thing and I bowed to pressure. The grumpy bastard played nothing but skiffle shíte and didn't speak to his audience once. Not once. It fell to Richie Buckley to introduce all the tunes and to say thanks after every song for the ever decreasing applause. I stayed 'til the end cos I fancied one of our crew. The gig got worse and the woman wasn't interested in me either.

Went to see him in Belfast in 1980(?) and he was excellent. Had a 10 piece band and three female singers backing him and they were excellent, too.

He took a break midway, and one of the backing singers stepped up to sing a solo version of "Crazy Love" - it was Katie Kissoon (of Mac & Katie fame) and she stole the show - unbelievable singer.

He's still a humpy oul bollox mind, who's got worse with age and with so0me of his recent views (Covid, the Jews etc), I wouldn't buy a ticket if they were 10p each..

Meanwhile, in the spirit of the thread, my sister and bro-in-law persuaded me and my other half to attend an ABBA tribute act local to them a few years back - God knows where they got the wild horses from in Hertfordshire.

Anyhow, it wasn't as bad as we'd feared...

...it was even worse!
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 22:02 - Sep 26 with 1979 viewsNewBee

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:37 - Sep 24 by Discodroids

That's what i'm after Clive. A ray of hope !

Kim Wilde supported Michael Jackson on the European leg of his "Bad" Tour in 1988 - his first solo tour. And she later supported Bowie as well, iirc.

But before that builds your hopes up, just remember that the last thing superstars like them will have wanted is somebody who'll steal the show.

She was doubtless cheap, too.
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 22:20 - Sep 26 with 1957 viewswombat

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 22:02 - Sep 26 by NewBee

Kim Wilde supported Michael Jackson on the European leg of his "Bad" Tour in 1988 - his first solo tour. And she later supported Bowie as well, iirc.

But before that builds your hopes up, just remember that the last thing superstars like them will have wanted is somebody who'll steal the show.

She was doubtless cheap, too.

She also famously lost her top during the set at Wembley , unfortuanlty missed that one

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 00:04 - Sep 27 with 1868 viewsNed_Kennedys

I’ve got a live gig I currently am regretting buying tickets for next week: Ian Brown.

First gig of his first solo tour for years at a sold out Leeds last night….. and he appears on stage with no live band and sings along karaoke style to backing tracks of his songs.

Deservedly getting pelters from every direction for this: hoping he comes to his senses and sorts a band out before next week when I see him.
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 00:33 - Sep 27 with 1843 viewsCLAREMAN1995

21 pilots in Ohio back in 2017. Drove my daughter 8 hours there stayed in a hotel and drove back the next day.
But amazingly they were brilliant and I really enjoyed it so it was actually worth it .
Of course I was the oldest there by 40 years and those high pitch girl screams/ screeches were hard on the nerves and ears too
I kept asking where other 19 pilots were I just saw 2
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 01:08 - Sep 27 with 1829 viewsbob566

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 00:04 - Sep 27 by Ned_Kennedys

I’ve got a live gig I currently am regretting buying tickets for next week: Ian Brown.

First gig of his first solo tour for years at a sold out Leeds last night….. and he appears on stage with no live band and sings along karaoke style to backing tracks of his songs.

Deservedly getting pelters from every direction for this: hoping he comes to his senses and sorts a band out before next week when I see him.

They were talking about this on Irish radio tonight. Said it was the worst gig ever.
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 04:41 - Sep 27 with 1797 viewsSydneyRs

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 00:04 - Sep 27 by Ned_Kennedys

Saw him play a gig in Sydney some years ago. He did have a band on that occasion and we really enjoyed it as he did some of the Stone Roses classics. Probably helped that I'd had a few pints of Becks beforehand.

Also saw the Stone Roses a few years later who were very good.
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 13:32 - Sep 27 with 1639 viewssupahoopsa

I have to go to a Leee John (Imagination) gig on Saturday to accompany the missus - her friend has let her down at the last minute. She's a massive fan of Imagination.

Can anyone give me any crumb of encouragement?
I've even got to drive so can't sit in the bar and drown my sorrows :-(

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Login to get fewer ads

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 16:54 - Sep 27 with 1572 viewslarsricchi

Wilco just doesn't do anything for me. But, back in the mid 2000s, a friend had an extra ticket, and Low (who are excellent) were opening, so I said sure. The gig was about an hour's drive from where we live; on the way there, we encountered a huge pileup on the freeway. Went nowhere for a fair amount of time. Missed the Low set. Got there for the Wilco set, though, which I hated.

Amazing silver lining: I ran into one of my best friends from school outside the venue. Hadn't seen him in nearly a decade. He'd moved away at some point and we lost touch. Thankfully I recognized him and did that move where you half-shout someone's name but don't make direct eye contact in case you're mistaken! Ha. It was him--what are the odds. Since then we have been to dozens of concerts and several festivals together (including Primavera Sound Barcelona last June--my son joined us, as did my friend's wife and a couple of other friends from our festival gang). We try to hit the golf course from time to time, get gifts for each other's kids, etc., etc.

So, yeah, I guess Wilco is ok, in the end.
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:04 - Sep 27 with 1546 viewsHooping_Mad

Was in a 'holiday camp' in Porthcawl and Mrs Rhino excited informed me that the evening entertainment was everyones favourite boyband '5'

I joked we'll be lucky if they have 4, turns out they are down to 3 now, poor buggers

If you think that's bad the following night we got Joe Pasquale ffs
[Post edited 27 Sep 2022 17:06]

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:06 - Sep 27 with 1540 viewsMick_S

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:04 - Sep 27 by Hooping_Mad

Was in a 'holiday camp' in Porthcawl and Mrs Rhino excited informed me that the evening entertainment was everyones favourite boyband '5'

I joked we'll be lucky if they have 4, turns out they are down to 3 now, poor buggers

He speaks very highly of you.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:08 - Sep 27 with 1537 viewsHooping_Mad

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:06 - Sep 27 by Mick_S

He speaks very highly of you.

In a very squeaky voice ;-)

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:15 - Sep 27 with 1521 viewsSuperhoop83

Spooky.

My first ever live gig was Howard Jones at Wembley Arena in April 1985. It was also my last ever live gig.

I liked Howard Jones but to this day I have an irrational but complete dislike of gigs, perhaps caused by an evening of standing with my 15 year old mate and his mum as they bopped around to New Song and Pearl In The Shell.

I have a funny feeling Thomas Dolby was the support act too.

Suffering since 1978.

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:19 - Sep 27 with 1515 viewsdmm

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:04 - Sep 27 by Hooping_Mad

Sooooo, who is this Mrs Rhino you're hanging about with Mr Hooping Mad?!
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:21 - Sep 27 with 1508 viewsSuperhoop83

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 13:32 - Sep 27 by supahoopsa

I have to go to a Leee John (Imagination) gig on Saturday to accompany the missus - her friend has let her down at the last minute. She's a massive fan of Imagination.

Can anyone give me any crumb of encouragement?
I've even got to drive so can't sit in the bar and drown my sorrows :-(

I can offer you this crumb of encouragement: it isn't M People.

Suffering since 1978.

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:21 - Sep 27 with 1506 viewsHooping_Mad

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:19 - Sep 27 by dmm

Sooooo, who is this Mrs Rhino you're hanging about with Mr Hooping Mad?!

Almost let slip my secret identity there, all I can say is she is a very lucky lady.

And she's married to me as well.

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:24 - Sep 27 with 1490 viewsHooping_Mad

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:21 - Sep 27 by Superhoop83

I can offer you this crumb of encouragement: it isn't M People.

Some DIY repair jobs on the car may help your pain. Possibly test those repairs on the way?

What's the worst that could happen?

(quoted wrong post, must be a sign)
[Post edited 27 Sep 2022 17:26]

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 20:18 - Sep 27 with 1403 viewsRangersDave

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 17:15 - Sep 27 by Superhoop83

Spooky.

My first ever live gig was Howard Jones at Wembley Arena in April 1985. It was also my last ever live gig.

I liked Howard Jones but to this day I have an irrational but complete dislike of gigs, perhaps caused by an evening of standing with my 15 year old mate and his mum as they bopped around to New Song and Pearl In The Shell.

I have a funny feeling Thomas Dolby was the support act too.

Not a lot of science there mate ;-)

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 21:36 - Sep 27 with 1354 viewsKonk

My eldest brother had to take his ex-wife’s Nan to Cliff Richard at Wembley Arena as his wife was ill and it was a birthday treat for the Nan. Not one of his better nights out.

My best mate used to love Kim Wilde when we were kids. As an adult, he had a framed picture of her on his desk at work. She came into the place I was working once, so as I was serving her, I told her about my mate, and bless her, she asked me for a voucher gift card, put on some fresh lipstick and planted a big kiss on the card, before writing a lovely message to my mate. He’s still got it framed and on his bedside table. So I wish her nothing but good luck. Lovely lady. Hope the gig was alright.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 11:43 - Sep 28 with 1215 viewsMick_S

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 21:36 - Sep 27 by Konk

My eldest brother had to take his ex-wife’s Nan to Cliff Richard at Wembley Arena as his wife was ill and it was a birthday treat for the Nan. Not one of his better nights out.

My best mate used to love Kim Wilde when we were kids. As an adult, he had a framed picture of her on his desk at work. She came into the place I was working once, so as I was serving her, I told her about my mate, and bless her, she asked me for a voucher gift card, put on some fresh lipstick and planted a big kiss on the card, before writing a lovely message to my mate. He’s still got it framed and on his bedside table. So I wish her nothing but good luck. Lovely lady. Hope the gig was alright.

Konk, you’d better check out the Bristol train strike thread. Only polite to let you know.

Your mate,

Mick.

PS - see you Saturday.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 13:20 - Sep 28 with 1152 viewsTheChef

Not so much didn't want to go to, but didn't know what I was going to be in for.

Keane at The Barfly in Camden.

Dido was in the audience.

Nuff said.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 13:33 - Sep 28 with 1138 viewsSimonJames

For her birthday, I had to buy the missus two tickets to see Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott at the O2 in December.
I couldn't stand the Beautiful South, except "Old Red Eyes Is Back". So unless they play the two or three Housemartins songs that I liked, then it's going to be as tedious as listening to the Complete Works Of Robbie Savage Punditry.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 13:51 - Sep 28 with 1094 viewsTauntonR

must have been early 80's and my dad into modern jazz was due to go and see Pat Metheny at hammersmith. Think he was popular at the time as he had a collaberation with david bowie . anyway dad was ill so said i should go with a mate so i could tell him what is like .
best ever quote from my mate " i've heard roadworks more melodic than this" .
also like previous poster big 21 pilots fan thanks to my daughters and one of best gigs ever my chemical romance at the eden project
Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 13:57 - Sep 28 with 1093 viewsR_from_afar

My mate told me a story about one of his friends whose teenage son was desperate to go and see a gig by his favourite rock band.

The father reluctantly agreed to let his son go but insisted on accompanying him. Very responsible and noble.

The mate went on to say that the only problem was that the band was so loud that the dad's hearing had been affected ever since the gig and might be permanently damaged.

I asked my mate who the band was. "Some lot called Slipknot," he replied

A cautionary tale if ever there was one, people. Always do your research before signing up for these things.

PS: About 20 years ago, a mate persuaded me to go to see Status Quo at the NEC. I liked some of their singles but wasn't a big fan, so, out of politeness, I reluctantly agreed. I didn't regret it, I have to say it was a blast, there was a real party atmosphere

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Live Gigs you didn't want to go to... on 14:10 - Sep 28 with 1083 viewsSonofpugwash

T.Rex at the Roundhouse.(Brrrrrr...)
It was supposed to be Johnny Winter.The power had gone off and this shower of shite lumbered on .Bolan proceded to mangle his acoustic guitar to a hideous scratchy rendition of some dirge called Deborah.
On the silence which followed he yelled "Here -take my sweat!" and threw a towel out to the audience - which laid untouched for the remainder of the "performance".

"Well we love us anyway" was his parting announcement.
"Which is just as well because nobody else does" was the inevitable riposte.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2022 14:17]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024