Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What did you learn from the pandemic ? 23:23 - Nov 12 with 10239 viewsbollockchops

Ive been asking people at work and in the club and got some good responses , i started of by saying what i thourght and i said i realised how much i was spending at the local pub and that was gonna change and somebody at work said we now make space when chatting to folk or if they move in your space you move out and thats exactly what i did when he moved towards me !
Did your community come closer or dont you talk to anyone ?
If it came round again would you do things different ?
If you lost someone then im sorry to drag it up but everybodies opinon is important i want to hear from all you ghost posters
Did you break the two metre rule ?
im from a big family but i didnt realise how important family is
i know this is very dis jointed and i wont be winning any awards this year but i just needed to ask the question "What did you learn from the pandemic ? "

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 21:05 - Nov 13 with 2104 viewsterryb

I can state that it hasn't disappeared as I have just gone down with it for the first time. However, I feel very relaxed about this whereas two years ago it would have been very stressful.

I found the first lockdown restful & virtually every person you met on walks exchanged a minimum of a hello. It must be said that this ended the day that lockdown was relaxed! I had long ago decided that wealth was far less important than peace of mind (as per Alfie) & hoped that society would benefit from a "coming together".

Two & a half years later I don't feel that we received that benefit & that government/local government (no difference as to which party is in charge) put their own policies to the fore, irrespective of how that impacted on the public.

In other words, post Covid is exactly the same as pre Covid!
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 21:19 - Nov 13 with 2068 viewspaulparker

The world has gone mad since covid happened it’s not a nice place tbh , especially the fiasco of the way our country has been run
The police were nothing more than hired gastapo arresting old dears who dared to sit next to each other in the park hardly anyone respects them now
You still cannot get a doctors appointment, hospitals are a joke , the high streets are dead and nothing more than shanty towns , the railways are an overpriced disgrace that hardly ever works
We as a nation should be protesting about this but we just shrug our shoulders and take it
This is our new norm now , get used to it
I admire the eco mob at least they are doing something about what they believe in
Honestly if you offered me the chance to live through the 80s and 90s again and then snuff it or you gave me the choice to live another 100 years I know which I would choose

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 21:45 - Nov 13 with 2021 viewsLblock

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 21:19 - Nov 13 by paulparker

The world has gone mad since covid happened it’s not a nice place tbh , especially the fiasco of the way our country has been run
The police were nothing more than hired gastapo arresting old dears who dared to sit next to each other in the park hardly anyone respects them now
You still cannot get a doctors appointment, hospitals are a joke , the high streets are dead and nothing more than shanty towns , the railways are an overpriced disgrace that hardly ever works
We as a nation should be protesting about this but we just shrug our shoulders and take it
I admire the eco mob at least they are doing something about what they believe in
Honestly if you offered me the chance to live through the 80s and 90s again and then snuff it or you gave me the choice to live another 100 years I know which I would choose

I’d take that even if you only offered me the years 90 to 96

Agree with your post

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 22:06 - Nov 13 with 2008 viewsMrSheen

The death of five day a week commuting is the cause of the crisis in rail, but there’s no relief in sight. Every strike makes the return to regular commuting, and secure baseline revenue for the network, further away. Sorry, you’ll have to cope without me
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 22:28 - Nov 13 with 1975 viewsBoston

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 22:06 - Nov 13 by MrSheen

The death of five day a week commuting is the cause of the crisis in rail, but there’s no relief in sight. Every strike makes the return to regular commuting, and secure baseline revenue for the network, further away. Sorry, you’ll have to cope without me

Mate, the way it's going, the only wheels you're gonna need....

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 22:30 - Nov 13 with 1965 viewsMrSheen

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 22:28 - Nov 13 by Boston

Mate, the way it's going, the only wheels you're gonna need....

I see you’ve met Gottfried, my major-domo.
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 22:37 - Nov 13 with 1958 viewsSydneyRs

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 15:35 - Nov 13 by Juzzie

Unfortunately it’s not black or white.
Those I knew who didn’t have the jab complied with absolutely everything…. WFH, social distancing, restrictions on who they visited/ had visit all as applicable etc etc

Yes, there were those who flouted things (PM and ministers too) but not everyone did.
If we’re going to talk about not overloading the NHS then all the whimsical calls to 999 and visits to A&E need addressing too, and they have been going on for far longer than Covid was around.

That’s my last say as I don’t want this thread to descend into the same merry-go-round as others
[Post edited 13 Nov 2022 15:37]

That's fair enough, its people using terms like 'clot shot' that stirs others up when to me anyway the vaccine was huge in getting us through the worst of it. Especially here in Australia where the govt acted far more quickly than in the UK and minimised the overall number of cases before the majority were vaccinated and we could open up again.

As has been mentioned, the pointlessness of commuting is a big one for me. Even now I'm only going into the office once a fortnight and its great for work/life balance. Running around the local park in the morning sure beats sitting or standing on a packed train full of miserable gits.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2022 22:42]
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 07:26 - Nov 14 with 1812 viewssm3ranger

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 12:21 - Nov 13 by essextaxiboy

IMO the vitriol was justified . If you didnt want the jab fair enough , if you got Covid and died tough .. choices have consequences , but to wilfully risk putting the NHS under more pressure than it needed to be was selfish in the extreme .

Tin foil hattery , fuelled by Facebook and a distrust of the Government is all it is . My Mum(84) , just getting over Non Hodgkins Lymphoma was told at diagnosis "if you get Covid its lights out "

She got fully jabbed and has just recovered from 2 weeks of Covid , it wasnt pleasant but thanks to that jab she is here today waiting for her Sunday lunch .

Perhaps you should look at the Pfizer executive that openly stated a couple of weeks ago in the Dutch parliament that they had no idea as to whether the vaccine prevented transmission as no testing was ever conducted.
Certainly no tin foil hat involved with that and certainly calls in to question "wilfully putting pressurre on the NHS and being selfish" doesnt it?
Plenty more to come out methinks in the coming months and years.
Login to get fewer ads

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 07:30 - Nov 14 with 1809 viewsSydneyRs

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 07:26 - Nov 14 by sm3ranger

Perhaps you should look at the Pfizer executive that openly stated a couple of weeks ago in the Dutch parliament that they had no idea as to whether the vaccine prevented transmission as no testing was ever conducted.
Certainly no tin foil hat involved with that and certainly calls in to question "wilfully putting pressurre on the NHS and being selfish" doesnt it?

Not pretending to be an expert, but my understanding was the vaccines were about preventing severe symptoms and death rather than transmission?
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 08:07 - Nov 14 with 1781 viewsdaveB

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 18:58 - Nov 13 by MrSheen

Commuting is an utter waste of time, money and energy and I’m not going back to it (full time!).

That was my main takeaway and despite all the efforts of work to get us back into office It's not something i ever want to do full time again
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 08:30 - Nov 14 with 1734 viewstraininvain

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 08:07 - Nov 14 by daveB

That was my main takeaway and despite all the efforts of work to get us back into office It's not something i ever want to do full time again

Just goes to show that we all had different experiences and lessons from Covid.

I found working from home depressing sat upstairs in a room on my own without any real buffer between work and home life. No separation between the two and it all ended up blurring into one.

I’ve gone back to five days a week in the office and I’m much happier for it. I enjoy the buzz of being around colleagues, clients and mates in central London near the best pubs, restaurants etc. Even the commute provides an opportunity to decompress on the way to and from the office. Granted it’s only a 20 minute train journey and a short walk to the office which probably helps.

I’ve worked the occasional day at home this year due to train strikes etc and it feels like Covid all over again. Maybe I’ve got some form of PTSD!
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 08:50 - Nov 14 with 1697 viewsessextaxiboy

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 07:26 - Nov 14 by sm3ranger

At the start , we hoped that the jab would prevent transmission . As it turns out that isnt the case . What is does do is make contracting it (for most ) an unpleasant time at home for a week or two . By not taking the jab you make your chance of needing NHS intervention far higher .

It thats a choice you make then that makes you selfish IMO. What other word would you use to describe putting yourself first to the detriment of others ?
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 08:51 - Nov 14 with 1696 viewsstevec

Two sides of the coin from MrSheen and traininvain and both have valid arguments.

What we might already be learning though, about WFH, is that whereas the essentials like nurses, care workers, accepted their jobs shifts as part of their vocation, particularly whilst their friends and family also did 5 day working weeks in the office, albeit in more regulation hours. Knowing that’ll they’ll still be doing the same whilst their compatriots now get to work from home, take the dog for a walk, watch a bit of netflix, I suspect the likes of nurses and care workers will decide it’s not worth the effort and we’ll all be the worse for it.
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 09:03 - Nov 14 with 1675 viewsessextaxiboy

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 22:37 - Nov 13 by SydneyRs

That's fair enough, its people using terms like 'clot shot' that stirs others up when to me anyway the vaccine was huge in getting us through the worst of it. Especially here in Australia where the govt acted far more quickly than in the UK and minimised the overall number of cases before the majority were vaccinated and we could open up again.

As has been mentioned, the pointlessness of commuting is a big one for me. Even now I'm only going into the office once a fortnight and its great for work/life balance. Running around the local park in the morning sure beats sitting or standing on a packed train full of miserable gits.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2022 22:42]

Australia 3.3 people per square KM

UK 281 people per square KM

Agree on Clot shot but the first time I have heard it is on here , but I have never been on Facebook so its not surprising
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 09:21 - Nov 14 with 1657 viewsessextaxiboy

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 18:12 - Nov 13 by Boston

Choices do have consequences, but we don't hold that rule for other 'risky' business, whether it be smoking, drug overdosing, drinking or sexual etc.

I presume that all / most of those who refused this shot had made NHS contributions.

Y'know, during armed conflict, medics treat the enemy even when they're run off their feet, being shelled, short of supplies etc etc.

The self harm cases you mention come in a trickle and can be managed easier than a wave of patients needing intense care and vital equipment .

The NHS isnt a service that you pay for like a window cleaner . We all pay in even if we dont need it so that that those who are chronically sick can take out more than they may have paid in and so when you are elderly you have health care until you die .
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 10:01 - Nov 14 with 1594 viewsdaveB

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 08:30 - Nov 14 by traininvain

Just goes to show that we all had different experiences and lessons from Covid.

I found working from home depressing sat upstairs in a room on my own without any real buffer between work and home life. No separation between the two and it all ended up blurring into one.

I’ve gone back to five days a week in the office and I’m much happier for it. I enjoy the buzz of being around colleagues, clients and mates in central London near the best pubs, restaurants etc. Even the commute provides an opportunity to decompress on the way to and from the office. Granted it’s only a 20 minute train journey and a short walk to the office which probably helps.

I’ve worked the occasional day at home this year due to train strikes etc and it feels like Covid all over again. Maybe I’ve got some form of PTSD!

Oh yeah thats just a personal thing, I do get that many people prefer the office and good luck to them. I think my stage of life has a lot to do with it, 10/15 years ago I'd have been desperate to get in and have a laugh and a few drinks with mates at work, now i'm mid 40's, I'm the weird manager I used to take the piss out of hanging around with 20 somethings down the pub making them feel they can't say what they want

For me my commute was 90 minutes each way, took a lot out of my day I had years where I rarley got to put my kids to bed I was just either in the office or waiting for trains. Used to drive me mad, If I ever needed to work late that was the whole night gone, now I can work till half 6/7 and still have an hour with the kids.

I'm quite lucky that I have a large out house/shed in the garden so coverted it into an office during lockdown and thats given a bit of seperation between going to work and being at home. I know a few of my collegues were sat in the kitchen at home and quite rightly couldn't wait to get back to the office. It's a balance that has really worked for me. I no longer need to search the building for a meeting room to chat with my team I can just stick a video call in and we are ready to go.

And of course more importantly I am now 2 and a half grand a year better off now I don't have to pay for a yearly ticket
[Post edited 14 Nov 2022 10:02]
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 10:17 - Nov 14 with 1565 viewssm3ranger

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 08:50 - Nov 14 by essextaxiboy

At the start , we hoped that the jab would prevent transmission . As it turns out that isnt the case . What is does do is make contracting it (for most ) an unpleasant time at home for a week or two . By not taking the jab you make your chance of needing NHS intervention far higher .

It thats a choice you make then that makes you selfish IMO. What other word would you use to describe putting yourself first to the detriment of others ?

Very hesitant regarding what actual benefits this vaccine would give to me is what I would call it.
I have had all of my childhood vaccinations many moons ago(I had these to protect myself, not granny or the NHS as what was the message touted more recently) and after having these I did not need to take any further precautions such as masks and distancing,I did not contract what I was vaccinated against and nor did I pass it on,and i did not require 3-4 doses.
Slight difference to what is on offer now.. and one look at the yellow card data will show it is certainly far from safe.
Like I say, over the coming months and years I feel much more will come out around all of this.
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 10:19 - Nov 14 with 1549 viewslightwaterhoop

Dont forget that millions of people doing vital and productive jobs still have to actually travel and turn up for work everyday!
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 10:53 - Nov 14 with 1495 viewsJuzzie

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 10:01 - Nov 14 by daveB

Oh yeah thats just a personal thing, I do get that many people prefer the office and good luck to them. I think my stage of life has a lot to do with it, 10/15 years ago I'd have been desperate to get in and have a laugh and a few drinks with mates at work, now i'm mid 40's, I'm the weird manager I used to take the piss out of hanging around with 20 somethings down the pub making them feel they can't say what they want

For me my commute was 90 minutes each way, took a lot out of my day I had years where I rarley got to put my kids to bed I was just either in the office or waiting for trains. Used to drive me mad, If I ever needed to work late that was the whole night gone, now I can work till half 6/7 and still have an hour with the kids.

I'm quite lucky that I have a large out house/shed in the garden so coverted it into an office during lockdown and thats given a bit of seperation between going to work and being at home. I know a few of my collegues were sat in the kitchen at home and quite rightly couldn't wait to get back to the office. It's a balance that has really worked for me. I no longer need to search the building for a meeting room to chat with my team I can just stick a video call in and we are ready to go.

And of course more importantly I am now 2 and a half grand a year better off now I don't have to pay for a yearly ticket
[Post edited 14 Nov 2022 10:02]

I'm pretty much in the same place (though 10 years older!)

Working from home has enabled me to do stuff that I couldn't do before, the most important being quality time (well, trying to get them to do their homework, brush teeth, get to bed etc!) with the kids before bedtime being the most beneficial.
Go onto youtube and type in 'cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin' - A song (that was based on his own situation) from the 70's that captures the burnout American work ideology and is still prevalent today. That's is not going to be me. As we answer to the office in the US west coast I see people around me totally sucked into that ideology and cannot seem to wrestle themselves out of it. I can, it's really easy to do.

The years of work socialising are long gone for both family and being the 'senior' person in the group reasons, so what's the point of being at the office 5 days a week.
My commute on the motorbike has cut down by 80% so that's less costs on petrol and wear & tear/servicing consumables costs. The money I save does trickle down though mainly into the coffers of energy companies now but at least it's kind of keeping an even keel for now.

Totally understand people still have to commute (my mrs does) but there's never going to be a perfect scenario for everyone. Besides, she likes it too (the decompress angle is a good analogy) and doesn't mind the office environment. I'd think we'd kill each other if we were both WFH 24/7!

[Post edited 14 Nov 2022 11:02]
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 10:58 - Nov 14 with 1468 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bang on Parker! Very hard to disgree, as it is hard to find many countries that are being competently governed currently.

I actually handled C19 really well if I am honest; basically treated it like a mini war of attrition and came through in fine fettle.

However, as I watched it all unfurl from the desert where we were living at the time, having moved there from a country that was descending into horror (Myanmar), I read a lot of historical stuff at a time that I was also reading a lot about experts' thoughts going forward and shaking my head.

Even prior to C19, I was following a lot on AI and how the world of work will change and was not convinced that will be handled with the requisite skills to manage the huge transition that will come.

Accordingly, I said to the Mrs PH, when my contract is up, I'm done!

A little earlier than I thought at 55, and a few more years of work would have been enough for me. But we sat down, did some maths and decided to cut our cloth accordingly. I do a few little consulting gigs, none of which fill me with any hope given the topics we have worked on and the findings we have made.

Seems many people I talk to, feel the same and harbour fears for their offspring. The other day, I saw a piece on the news of a poll taken of 250,000 young Africans (so a sizeable sample), over half do not want to have children, citing concerns about the future. That's as effing nuts as it is sad to learn!

The world needs a massive reboot. It needs leaders, not bleeders and most of all, it needs a far higher level of intelligence applied at the top to the challenges faced. It needs clear thinking of solutions that are global and not local.

And yet I do not see the thinking and I look no further than the current COP27. Even as C19 lingers after a period where we managed to function digitally, the UN summit has attracted thousands flying in to a reclaimed piece of land in the desert to host the event. I have been to one of these UN events (so I am guilty to a point) but following that I would think such events could largely go online! Yes sometimes you need to press-the-flesh, but much of what happens can and should be done online. But no! There will be a huge environmental footprint at a time when we're supposed to be reducing.

C19 was a low-level pandemic and the way we live on the planet will, in my humble, result in something more catastrophic before too long. If we get past 2030 in any degree of healthy state, I will be amazed. The rest of this decade is crucial and you are right Parker, people should be angry and not sitting back and allowing governments to run things this badly.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 10:59 - Nov 14 with 1461 viewsessextaxiboy

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 10:17 - Nov 14 by sm3ranger

Very hesitant regarding what actual benefits this vaccine would give to me is what I would call it.
I have had all of my childhood vaccinations many moons ago(I had these to protect myself, not granny or the NHS as what was the message touted more recently) and after having these I did not need to take any further precautions such as masks and distancing,I did not contract what I was vaccinated against and nor did I pass it on,and i did not require 3-4 doses.
Slight difference to what is on offer now.. and one look at the yellow card data will show it is certainly far from safe.
Like I say, over the coming months and years I feel much more will come out around all of this.

Summary of Yellow Card Data 3 Nov 22

Conclusion
Vaccines are the best way to protect people from COVID-19 and have already saved tens of thousands of lives. Everyone should continue to get their vaccination when invited to do so unless specifically advised otherwise.
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 11:09 - Nov 14 with 1451 viewsrobith

Timely as I got covid again last week. Thankfully not as shite as the first time where I almost had to go to hospital, and resolved itself much quicker.

I was going to say something nice about the importance of being in touch with people, and how I redoubled to be a better friend and make more time for people. But some of the comments ITT are pretty scary so I'll quietly exit stage left
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 11:15 - Nov 14 with 1446 viewsSuperhoop83

1. That people with desk jobs, like me, can work from home perfectly well most or all of the time.

2. That many bosses, including mine, are stuck in the dark ages and value presenteeism over all else.

3. That I'd rather go to the office 4 days a week to avoid the hassle of the boss thinking I'm bunking off.

Suffering since 1978.

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 11:26 - Nov 14 with 1425 viewsSydneyRs

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 09:03 - Nov 14 by essextaxiboy

Australia 3.3 people per square KM

UK 281 people per square KM

Agree on Clot shot but the first time I have heard it is on here , but I have never been on Facebook so its not surprising

Most of Australia is uninhabited and the majority live in densely populated cities so that argument doesn't really stand up.

We shut our borders early and started work from home etc, that made all the difference. Meanwhile that useless prat Johnson was skipping meetings. Incredible that he's been allowed to get away with it and very recently was being touted for a return to the top job. The UK handled it appallingly and I had great concerns for my family there.
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 11:40 - Nov 14 with 1390 viewsJuzzie

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 11:15 - Nov 14 by Superhoop83

1. That people with desk jobs, like me, can work from home perfectly well most or all of the time.

2. That many bosses, including mine, are stuck in the dark ages and value presenteeism over all else.

3. That I'd rather go to the office 4 days a week to avoid the hassle of the boss thinking I'm bunking off.

Yeah, we have some like that in our business area too. Smacks of insecurity and lack of trust. If anyone was bunking off or dragging their feet it would become obvious. Pretty much everyone have done the opposite so it's only going to be detrimental if they insist on 3 days a week (which is the rumor going around) back in the office and productivity will definitely go down.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024