Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What did you learn from the pandemic ? 23:23 - Nov 12 with 10229 viewsbollockchops

Ive been asking people at work and in the club and got some good responses , i started of by saying what i thourght and i said i realised how much i was spending at the local pub and that was gonna change and somebody at work said we now make space when chatting to folk or if they move in your space you move out and thats exactly what i did when he moved towards me !
Did your community come closer or dont you talk to anyone ?
If it came round again would you do things different ?
If you lost someone then im sorry to drag it up but everybodies opinon is important i want to hear from all you ghost posters
Did you break the two metre rule ?
im from a big family but i didnt realise how important family is
i know this is very dis jointed and i wont be winning any awards this year but i just needed to ask the question "What did you learn from the pandemic ? "

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 11:45 - Nov 14 with 2470 viewstraininvain

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 10:01 - Nov 14 by daveB

Oh yeah thats just a personal thing, I do get that many people prefer the office and good luck to them. I think my stage of life has a lot to do with it, 10/15 years ago I'd have been desperate to get in and have a laugh and a few drinks with mates at work, now i'm mid 40's, I'm the weird manager I used to take the piss out of hanging around with 20 somethings down the pub making them feel they can't say what they want

For me my commute was 90 minutes each way, took a lot out of my day I had years where I rarley got to put my kids to bed I was just either in the office or waiting for trains. Used to drive me mad, If I ever needed to work late that was the whole night gone, now I can work till half 6/7 and still have an hour with the kids.

I'm quite lucky that I have a large out house/shed in the garden so coverted it into an office during lockdown and thats given a bit of seperation between going to work and being at home. I know a few of my collegues were sat in the kitchen at home and quite rightly couldn't wait to get back to the office. It's a balance that has really worked for me. I no longer need to search the building for a meeting room to chat with my team I can just stick a video call in and we are ready to go.

And of course more importantly I am now 2 and a half grand a year better off now I don't have to pay for a yearly ticket
[Post edited 14 Nov 2022 10:02]

Makes sense. I’m mid 30’s and I like the social aspect of not only work but also being in central London near mates in other jobs. And most nights I get home in time to put the little one to bed.

I suspect my opinion would be very different if I had a longer commute and didn’t get to see my daughter most evenings.

You’re right it’s very much a personal thing dictated by age, commute, home set up vs office environment etc.
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 12:37 - Nov 14 with 2339 viewsBenny_the_Ball

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 21:19 - Nov 13 by paulparker

The world has gone mad since covid happened it’s not a nice place tbh , especially the fiasco of the way our country has been run
The police were nothing more than hired gastapo arresting old dears who dared to sit next to each other in the park hardly anyone respects them now
You still cannot get a doctors appointment, hospitals are a joke , the high streets are dead and nothing more than shanty towns , the railways are an overpriced disgrace that hardly ever works
We as a nation should be protesting about this but we just shrug our shoulders and take it
This is our new norm now , get used to it
I admire the eco mob at least they are doing something about what they believe in
Honestly if you offered me the chance to live through the 80s and 90s again and then snuff it or you gave me the choice to live another 100 years I know which I would choose

"You still cannot get a doctor's appointment, hospitals are a joke, the high streets are dead and nothing more than shanty towns, the railways are an overpriced disgrace that hardly ever works"

To be fair, this was already the case before the pandemic.
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 12:39 - Nov 14 with 2349 viewsCroydonCaptJack

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 11:26 - Nov 14 by SydneyRs

Most of Australia is uninhabited and the majority live in densely populated cities so that argument doesn't really stand up.

We shut our borders early and started work from home etc, that made all the difference. Meanwhile that useless prat Johnson was skipping meetings. Incredible that he's been allowed to get away with it and very recently was being touted for a return to the top job. The UK handled it appallingly and I had great concerns for my family there.

I think it is relevant, but you make a good point. It was, however, much easier to handle it in Auz and NZ than Britain and despite the overall disaster they did get the odd thing right (speed of vaccine rollout for instance)

Total lockdown doesn't seem to have worked as we have seen in China. Is there anyone here who thinks they have it right? Genuine question and if so why.
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 13:24 - Nov 14 with 2302 viewssm3ranger

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 10:59 - Nov 14 by essextaxiboy

Summary of Yellow Card Data 3 Nov 22

Conclusion
Vaccines are the best way to protect people from COVID-19 and have already saved tens of thousands of lives. Everyone should continue to get their vaccination when invited to do so unless specifically advised otherwise.

More adverse reactions and deaths from this one vaccine than all of the previous vaccines combined together over the last 30 years and it is estimated only 10-15% of incicdents have actually been reported.
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 13:29 - Nov 14 with 2283 viewsNorthernr

Lovely, half a day into the world cup break this took.
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 13:54 - Nov 14 with 2196 viewsSheffieldHoop

I learned not to trust people, particularly people who "warn" you about being "On the wrong side of history" - "Clap for carers" to "Sack them unless they've had both doses by March 31" was a big learning curve.

I also learned how to save, and invest money, became a lot better at cooking, bought a house, renovated the house, and became a dad.....Yeah fair to say I learned a lot.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 14:16 - Nov 14 with 2188 viewsSonofpugwash

Whatever happened to Monkeypox anyway?

Ooooo ooooo oooo ever dreamed that one up?

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 14:18 - Nov 14 with 2186 viewsCLAREMAN1995

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 13:29 - Nov 14 by Northernr

Is it just me or has the mood turned a bit negative on here in the last week or so.I know we lost 3 games and played miserable football but look at the injuries, flu/ bugs etc and that has really contributed to our sad finish.
Mick Beal has hit the wall too with his lack of game changing tacticts so its time for us all to take a break IMO.
LFW is my go to site every at breakfast then dinner so I will stay off it until Sunday and decompress .
Take a breather everyone it will be fine
Login to get fewer ads

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 14:18 - Nov 14 with 2192 viewsJuzzie

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 13:54 - Nov 14 by SheffieldHoop

I learned not to trust people, particularly people who "warn" you about being "On the wrong side of history" - "Clap for carers" to "Sack them unless they've had both doses by March 31" was a big learning curve.

I also learned how to save, and invest money, became a lot better at cooking, bought a house, renovated the house, and became a dad.....Yeah fair to say I learned a lot.

[Post edited 14 Nov 2022 14:20]
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 14:20 - Nov 14 with 2180 viewsJuzzie

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 13:29 - Nov 14 by Northernr

As long as people stick to saying what they learned (as per the OP) rather than differences of opinions, we should be ok.

- another thing I learned from the pandemic is people can't stick to the subject in hand.
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 14:29 - Nov 14 with 2139 viewsSonofpugwash

I learned(once again) not to trust the world's press.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fg3mENsXkAEOR8c?format=jpg&name=900x900

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 15:00 - Nov 14 with 2106 viewsRangersw12

I learned I'm far more productive at home hence why I now only work 1 day in the office.

I now pick up my youngest from school, aswell as being able to attend plays and assemblys which is something I missed out on with the other 2
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 17:21 - Nov 14 with 1989 viewsderbyhoop

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 19:26 - Nov 13 by BrianMcCarthy

That most humans are decent, loving and loyal, and that their capacity in a crisis is enormous.

Governments that fail to plan, plan to fail.
Last minute panics are expensive.
Matt Hancock is incompetent.

Before the pandemic I tried to associate with people who were positive.
In the pandemic I learnt to stay away from people who were positive.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2022 21:29]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 17:55 - Nov 14 with 1959 viewsR_from_afar

In amongst all the conspiracy theories and distrust, I learned the value of friends, family and community, with this message board being a great example of the latter

I also learned the importance of not putting things off and of setting low expectations; low expectations can make experiences feel so much more positive. When there were still pandemic related restrictions in place, it was looking challenging to go on an overseas holiday so Mrs R from Afar and I decided to go to Dunster in Somerset, just for three nights. We really weren't expecting much and the weather was poor but just to be able to go somewhere, anywhere, and have some new experiences was incredibly stimulating and enjoyable, and if you were the person whose Ford Focus, resplendent with QPR sticker, was parked in Dunster high street, hats off to you!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 22:04 - Nov 14 with 1796 viewsLadbrokeR

That I trust the government even less than I did.
That watching Rangers on stream playing in an empty stadium is boring
That box sets can be quite good
That I missed friends and family
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 22:36 - Nov 14 with 1772 viewsSydneyRs

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 12:39 - Nov 14 by CroydonCaptJack

I think it is relevant, but you make a good point. It was, however, much easier to handle it in Auz and NZ than Britain and despite the overall disaster they did get the odd thing right (speed of vaccine rollout for instance)

Total lockdown doesn't seem to have worked as we have seen in China. Is there anyone here who thinks they have it right? Genuine question and if so why.

The big problem in the UK was they were so slow to act at the beginning. Well into it there were apparently still many thousands coming through Heathrow every day which I couldn't believe at the time. It was possibly a bit easier here but the UK govt were asleep at the wheel and by the time they woke up a lot of damage had been done.

On the population issue, the virus spread here like wildfire around last Christmas (which was when I caught it) when we opened up again, demonstrating that it always had the potential to do this, but by then well over 90% of people were vaccinated.
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 22:54 - Nov 14 with 1744 viewsLblock

Interesting point on age groups and more acceptance on WFH

I’ve been into our office a few times last few weeks / months
We usually have a churn of about 50 new graduates a year; this year no difference.
I’m actually quite shocked at how few are in the HQ or visiting sites in central London; most still preferring to use Zoom etc.
It’s sad as when I was 18 plus (age …. Not clothes size) it was a huge draw to be getting into town and drinking up there. You learnt social skills without realising it. That is a fear I have for the next decade…… sad people in sad boxes doing sad things which leads to the further decimation of pubs, clubs, venues, shops etc, etc

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 06:34 - Nov 15 with 1665 viewsngbqpr

That for me, music is always the answer.

I had more time to spend wallowing in my beloved vinyl collection. I also edged into the 21st century by collating all manner of Spotify playlists.

And the number of artists & DJs I like who found ways to keep spirits high was life-affiming. My personal list here probably will make most sense to 'Frankie Threaders', but I'm sure creatives in other genres stepped up in the same way.

- The Isolation Station, Balearic & chill out brilliance streaming 24/7 curated by Brummie Balearic don Dean 'Sunshine' Smith
- HUGS radio overseeen by Danny from Sure is Pure / Soul Mekanik
- Louie Vega's shows on Worldwide FM
- John Digweed's Bunker sessions
- Defected / Glitterbox live streams
- Kelvin Andrews' weekly Sunday afternoon Carbootarium radio show
- Gilles Peterson's 'The 20' shows
- Test Pressing magazine's series of 'Stay In & Chill' DJ mixes
- Carl Cox's Cabin Fever
- Max Cooper's AV experiments

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 16:11 - Nov 15 with 1453 viewsrobith

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 22:54 - Nov 14 by Lblock

Interesting point on age groups and more acceptance on WFH

I’ve been into our office a few times last few weeks / months
We usually have a churn of about 50 new graduates a year; this year no difference.
I’m actually quite shocked at how few are in the HQ or visiting sites in central London; most still preferring to use Zoom etc.
It’s sad as when I was 18 plus (age …. Not clothes size) it was a huge draw to be getting into town and drinking up there. You learnt social skills without realising it. That is a fear I have for the next decade…… sad people in sad boxes doing sad things which leads to the further decimation of pubs, clubs, venues, shops etc, etc

Interestingly, in my work it's the opposite. Everyone is moaning about "youngsters" not coming in, but the average age and stature of the people in the office is low, especially outside of our mandated days in. In fact, it's the middle and lower upper tier who all bought further out during the pandemic who are the flakiest at coming in.

I think there's a danger of viewing WFH as an all or nothing issue. A balance in the middle is the reality and the best? I do 2/3 days in, stack meetings up so i can do all my in person collaboration and use the focused time at home to do all the prep/actions coming out of them. When people say "people aren't coming in when we ask them/they're shirking" that isn't a failure of increased WFH, it's a performance management issue.

While the pattern is different before (our local boozer to the office told us their Friday taking are down hugely, but their Tuesday and Wednesdays are now busy enough to offset it), pubs in town are still annoyingly busy. The real enemy of London's cultural prestige and traditions are developers and planners who are turning central London into a monotonous glass box full of stuff for tourists with all the edge of a protractor
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 19:30 - Nov 15 with 1348 viewsDavieQPR

For me I learnt that a hell of a lot of people look better with a mask on.
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 17:33 - Nov 16 with 1204 viewsNewBee

I learned two things in the pandemic:

1. How to live with my own company;

and

2. What a boring bastard I am...
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 20:26 - Nov 16 with 1132 viewsdigswellhoop

so called freinds dissappear
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 20:45 - Nov 16 with 1111 viewsqueensparker

I learned that I hate working from home and I like other people more than I realised.

I’ve got a job where I can quite happily sit in the attic and get on with most of it but I found waking up and then going to the attic and then going to bed drove me round the bend. Maybe having two small kids to look after as well didn’t help, but it was like living at work, not working from home. No separation at all, and I’m not really disciplined enough to create my own reasons for leaving the house when work are piling on the pressure left right and centre. It was a nightmare.

I missed physical contact and seeing randoms on the tube and the accidental bullish-t that comes from just being around people.

I am eternally thankful for the time I got to spend with my children at a special time that I would not have normally had, but I like leaving the house. Really like it.
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 21:59 - Nov 16 with 1050 viewsSydneyRs

What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 20:45 - Nov 16 by queensparker

I learned that I hate working from home and I like other people more than I realised.

I’ve got a job where I can quite happily sit in the attic and get on with most of it but I found waking up and then going to the attic and then going to bed drove me round the bend. Maybe having two small kids to look after as well didn’t help, but it was like living at work, not working from home. No separation at all, and I’m not really disciplined enough to create my own reasons for leaving the house when work are piling on the pressure left right and centre. It was a nightmare.

I missed physical contact and seeing randoms on the tube and the accidental bullish-t that comes from just being around people.

I am eternally thankful for the time I got to spend with my children at a special time that I would not have normally had, but I like leaving the house. Really like it.

Definitely would have been much harder with young kids. Mine are older and a bit more self sufficient. Also get that younger people who go out in the city after work etc would miss it.

I love WFH, but understand that not everyone shares that view. Surely we mostly agree that commuting is awful though!
What did you learn from the pandemic ? on 22:17 - Nov 29 with 868 viewsdigswellhoop

qpr are still cr4p
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024