Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) 00:30 - Jan 18 with 3987 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 02:54 - Jan 18 with 3118 viewsNorthLondonR

Probably Real Espana Vs Necaxa in San Pedro Sula, Honduras I think in 2004. Wanted to watch a game in El Salvador but was strongly advised against it and come to think of it, I have absolutely no idea what possessed me and my missus to visit San Pedro Sula at all, let alone watch a game.. was a timid 2-2 affair.

I also played two games for Sagitun (I believe they no longer exist) in Belize.. Was great in one game and set up a goal with a beautiful chipped pass straight down the middle of the park but was utter turd in the second and was played at wing back.. I realise I can't actually run and get very aggressive when studs fly into my knee cap..
Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 02:56 - Jan 18 with 3114 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Technically not seen, but in 2002 I played on one of the Galapagos Islands. If you kicked the ball too far off the pitch, you had to contend with seals to get it back.

Also had a kick-about in the Bolivian part of the Amazon. A little clearing with Lord knows what staring down on us, in what was the last time I played a game of football.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 03:02 - Jan 18 with 3096 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Rangers: Sweden pre-season tour in the early 90's. DistortR will know the exact year.

Non-Rangers: Dunedin, NZ the furthest game I've seen, but I've played hurling on the top of Kilimanjaro. I lost, but I leave that bit out.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 06:45 - Jan 18 with 2967 viewsdavman

Barbados v St. Lucia in what I think was a World Cup qualifier.

The worst game of football I remember ever seeing at that time (think it was early 1990s) in a park with a stand as far as I can remember...

Actually, just looked this up. It was v Antigua and Barbuda and was in the Caribbean Cup and Barbados won 1-0.

Still a crap game though!
[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 6:51]

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 08:07 - Jan 18 with 2865 viewstraininvain

Uruguay vs West Germany at the Estadio Centenario in Montevideo. 4-1 to the Germans. Klinsmann was a cut above.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 8:12]
Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 08:10 - Jan 18 with 2863 viewsR_from_afar

Queens Park v East Stirlingshire in Scottish League Division 3.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 08:36 - Jan 18 with 2805 viewsTheChef

Maybe not the most exotic location - but ASB went to Barcelona for a football tournament and that weekend as luck would have it Morocco played Colombia at the Nou Camp. Aziz Ben Askar was playing for Morocco.

Bit random all round!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 08:57 - Jan 18 with 2777 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Stade Marcel-Saupin in Nantes for a real game.

We drove past a game on a dirt pitch in Jo'berg but we didn't stop to watch.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 09:09 - Jan 18 with 2750 viewslightwaterhoop

Its hard enough getting to Shepherds Bush sometimes maybe not exotic but it will do for me.
Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 09:48 - Jan 18 with 2684 viewsAberystwythR

Played in a game near base camp of Mt. Meru, Tanzania, against school kids and villagers. whole village came out to watch/play. The comments i got from the Tanzanian mama's on the sideline when taking a corner got me feeling like Juan Mata at LR !
Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 09:55 - Jan 18 with 2662 viewsHantsR

Every Friday evening, I used to play in a mixed team of locals and expats on an atoll in the Central Pacific. The pitch had a few tufts of grass, but was mostly hardened reef mud. The prisoners in the adjacent jail looked on. Afterwards we went over the road to one of our gardens on the beach and quaffed cold lager as the sun went down.
Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 09:59 - Jan 18 with 2649 viewsloftboy

1976 the Spanish waiters in the hotel I was staying in played in a Spanish Sunday league, only game I’ve seen abroad.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 10:13 - Jan 18 with 2616 viewsterryb

This isn't exactly remote, far or exotic!

In 1969 my brother was driving the two of us to Athens for a holiday. Driving through Yugoslavia we stopped in a village & got the football out of the car to kick about. In hardly any time, it seemed like every boy in the village had joined us. It restored my faith in the country after the border guards had belittled me. Without looking at my passport they called me a Yank as I was a skinhead!

About a week later we were driving through Piraeus & saw floodlights on. It turned out to be a Greek Cup match between Olympiacos & ?. I think Aris Salonika but I'm far from sure. This was the first time I saw a goalkeeper leave his area & head the ball. The two of us were stunned while everybody else took it as normal!
Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 10:20 - Jan 18 with 2609 viewsJuzzie

Barcelona v Man City (friendly) last August is the only game I have seen abroad so that probably qualifies for most of the criteria.
Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 10:42 - Jan 18 with 2556 viewsPunteR

Celtic v Hamilton. In winter. Sunday morning kickoff, Hungover, on a stag do. (Weekend in Edinburgh which was decent)
Couldn't even get a beer. That's about as furthest and exotic its got for me.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 10:43 - Jan 18 with 2555 viewsRBlock

So I've watched L.D.U. Quito v C.S. Emelec at the Estadio Olímpico Atahualpa in Quito, Ecuador. That was pretty mad - accidentally sat with the away fans who outnumbered the home fans 3:1 despite having to travel from Guayaquil. Kicked off around 1pm with absolutely no shade - think it was the only time I have got sun burn on my scalp. Beers served in big 2 pint plastic cups, with large shards of ice - only time that's ever been acceptable.

Also seen a game at Estadio da Varzea, in Praia, Cape Verde. Recently been in the news as it will be first stadium to be renamed after Pele after Gianni Infantino's weird request. No idea who the teams were, but certain I could have done a job at CB had I not been half cut. People selling random assorted beers out of ice-boxes and deep fried snacks of questionable provenance out of kitchen towel.
Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 10:47 - Jan 18 with 2547 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 09:55 - Jan 18 by HantsR

Every Friday evening, I used to play in a mixed team of locals and expats on an atoll in the Central Pacific. The pitch had a few tufts of grass, but was mostly hardened reef mud. The prisoners in the adjacent jail looked on. Afterwards we went over the road to one of our gardens on the beach and quaffed cold lager as the sun went down.

Wonderful.

Sounds like a scene out of Next Goal Wins!
Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 10:52 - Jan 18 with 2540 viewsT_Block

Mel should post on this.......
Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 10:58 - Jan 18 with 2531 viewshantssi

Football wise, Rotherham away, the year back in the Championship!
Other than that, Boston Red Sox (you didn’t say football!).
Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 11:17 - Jan 18 with 2471 viewsozranger

Hard to say furtherest having lived most of my life in Oz and now residing in London. So, somewhere in between. Possibly matches in Oregon or California could count.

As to exotic, and I guess this may fit in another thread, many years ago I was at the December pre-season clash between Johor Darul Ta'zim FC (Malaysia) and Tampines Rovers (Singapore) and that was quite something. Sat in the media area courtesy of a friend from Singapore and on the end of one of the tribunes. Walking right next to me before and after the game was the Crown Prince of Johor (Tunka Ismail Idris) who owned the team. The main fans behind the goal were quiet throughout the game, occasionally cheering when a goal was scored (JB won 6-1). Then as soon as the final whistle went, all hell broke loose with flares, fireworks and singing from that group and then everyone else joined in, all in celebration for the Prince.
Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 11:23 - Jan 18 with 2459 viewsstowmarketrange

Not the remotest,but the game we watched in Germany during the summer was pretty weird.We had a day spare so we met up with fellow R’s at Leipzig station to get a train and a bus to the a@se end of nowhere to watch a friendly between 2 teams I’ve never heard of.
It was like an old Wild West saloon when the German fans heard these English voices walking past them.
A good night though and an entertaining game followed by another eventful bus journey home.All washed down with lots of German lager though.And I still can’t remember who we saw or where we went.
Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 11:27 - Jan 18 with 2430 viewsSonofpugwash

Kerry v Meath - Gaelic Football 1966.Wellll it's sort of like "soccer" and slightly less violent.Cahersiveen and the locals staring at yours truly because of my long hair.
Next day watching World Cup final England v West Germany in a hotel in Waterville surrounded by German tourists.Great holiday that was.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 11:34 - Jan 18 with 2410 viewsNewBee

Once watched a bit of a game in the Faroe Islands, from the side of the road running past the pitch. Cant remember a damned thing about it, mind.

Would like to pretend it was this place, but sadly not:

https://www.facebook.com/VisitFaroeIslands/photos/a.371213789653843/603320339776
[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 11:40]
Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 12:16 - Jan 18 with 2342 viewsJames_Paddocks

Played football in the Falkland Islands.

Windy and cold!
Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 12:19 - Jan 18 with 2334 viewsqpr1976

Remotest / Furthest / Most Exotic Match You’ve Seen Live (n/t) on 03:02 - Jan 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Rangers: Sweden pre-season tour in the early 90's. DistortR will know the exact year.

Non-Rangers: Dunedin, NZ the furthest game I've seen, but I've played hurling on the top of Kilimanjaro. I lost, but I leave that bit out.

March 2018 - Wellington Phoenix 2 Brisbane Roar 2 at the Cake tin stadium.
Just the 1 away fan. Fair play to him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024