Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Owens 18:05 - Mar 8 with 8228 viewsBillericayR

Playing for the U18's. Been on loan at Colchester.

Seems to have been with us for years but never played. I know he has been beset with injuries.

But why is he still with us?

If he is currently not injured then surely he should be pushing for a first team place at his age.
Charlie Owens on 19:07 - Mar 8 with 4938 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Sad for him, but I think his contract is up this summer and he goes.

We need a change of thinking and practice at QPR; we can’t afford crocks, and loading the squad with so many gambles is just ridiculous.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Charlie Owens on 19:22 - Mar 8 with 4869 viewsdistortR

Charlie Owens on 19:07 - Mar 8 by PlanetHonneywood

We need a change of thinking and practice at QPR; we can’t afford crocks, and loading the squad with so many gambles is just ridiculous.

crocs are a huge issue

Charlie Owens on 19:30 - Mar 8 with 4822 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’ve got no idea what money he’s on, but if it’s minimal, he might be paying for himself in loan fees.

Same for Hamelainen, Shodipo, and anyone else whose length or renewal of contract seems surprising.

If this is the case then it would make sense to keep him around both as an example of a player who’s come through the youth system and who may, one day, command a transfer fee. Or in the case of Drewe and Gubbins serve as an emergency backup.

I’m not saying this is what you are doing, but it’s an unfair weapon to use on the SMT. Every club does it and if the money is right it makes sense and there is so much else to criticise them with.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 19:35]
Charlie Owens on 19:45 - Mar 8 with 4739 viewsenfieldargh

Charlie Owens on 19:07 - Mar 8 by PlanetHonneywood

sawhim in pub in Cockfosters in the summer, he was drinking water

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Charlie Owens on 20:27 - Mar 8 with 4575 viewseghamranger

We need to start being a bit ‘nasty’ with these players.

It’s harsh and they I’m sure are half decent players. However we haven’t much money, looking like being relegated and we need a bloody good clear out.

I think GA is the man to do it as he’s spent years in league 1 so knows what standard to expect.
Charlie Owens on 22:32 - Mar 8 with 4248 viewspaulhoop2

Another one of Chris Ramseys protégés ex spurs long contract youth

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Charlie Owens on 22:50 - Mar 8 with 4205 viewsAntti_Heinola

Charlie Owens on 20:27 - Mar 8 by eghamranger

We need to start being a bit ‘nasty’ with these players.

It’s harsh and they I’m sure are half decent players. However we haven’t much money, looking like being relegated and we need a bloody good clear out.

I think GA is the man to do it as he’s spent years in league 1 so knows what standard to expect.

Like we were with Chris Mepham? Or several clubs were with Eze?

I think there are innumerable issues with this club from top to bottom but the simplistic solutions on this board aren’t going to help.

Bare bones.

Charlie Owens on 23:02 - Mar 8 with 4171 viewsBoston

Charlie Owens on 19:45 - Mar 8 by enfieldargh

sawhim in pub in Cockfosters in the summer, he was drinking water

Another strike against him.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Owens on 07:22 - Mar 9 with 3915 viewsQPROslo

Think he was considered a promising talent as a teenager. He represented N.Ireland at Under 19 and Under 21 level. but continental injury problems look to have ravished his career, only 10 professional appearances for us, Wycombe and Colchester on loan over 5 seasons.
Charlie Owens on 09:01 - Mar 9 with 3702 viewsBAWHoops

He was on the cusp of the first team squad about 3/4 years ago when he was 20 years old and then had a horrendous injury.
We gave him a contract extension as we wanted to show other promising youngsters that we treat people right (which is a big selling point that you won't be left injured and without a club).
Came back from that injury and immediately suffered another awful one. Think at that stage he was on very little money and was probably worth the extra year as they thought he could come back and feature... just hasn't worked out.
We've certainly treated him well though!!

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Charlie Owens on 09:04 - Mar 9 with 3685 viewsCamberleyR

Charlie Owens on 07:22 - Mar 9 by QPROslo

Think he was considered a promising talent as a teenager. He represented N.Ireland at Under 19 and Under 21 level. but continental injury problems look to have ravished his career, only 10 professional appearances for us, Wycombe and Colchester on loan over 5 seasons.

Blimey, he makes Tyler Roberts and Jake Glass-Salter look like Tony Ingham.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Charlie Owens on 10:15 - Mar 9 with 3530 viewsNorthernr

I don't really understand what we're getting out of having all these mid 20s players who obviously aren't good enough hanging around earning, even if it's not earning very much. Nico is obviously the worst example, 26 now FFS, but Owens is 25, the official site is wishing Ody Alfa a happy 24th birthday today - played for Billericay, Maidenhead, Aldershot, Dartford and Chelmsford on loan. Shodipo is 25. What are we doing? Seriously, what are we doing?
Charlie Owens on 10:16 - Mar 9 with 3518 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Charlie Owens on 10:15 - Mar 9 by Northernr

I don't really understand what we're getting out of having all these mid 20s players who obviously aren't good enough hanging around earning, even if it's not earning very much. Nico is obviously the worst example, 26 now FFS, but Owens is 25, the official site is wishing Ody Alfa a happy 24th birthday today - played for Billericay, Maidenhead, Aldershot, Dartford and Chelmsford on loan. Shodipo is 25. What are we doing? Seriously, what are we doing?

Loan fees?

This is a guess not a assertion by the way!
[Post edited 9 Mar 2023 10:17]
Charlie Owens on 10:17 - Mar 9 with 3515 viewsNorthernr

Charlie Owens on 10:16 - Mar 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

Loan fees?

This is a guess not a assertion by the way!
[Post edited 9 Mar 2023 10:17]

From Billericay!!?? Come on now
Charlie Owens on 10:23 - Mar 9 with 3477 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Charlie Owens on 10:17 - Mar 9 by Northernr

From Billericay!!?? Come on now

For every Owens or Alfa there is a Shodipo (Oxford) and Hamelainen (LA Galaxy) though.

It’s not just us it just seems obvious while things are shite I think.

Maybe they make great tea.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2023 10:23]
Charlie Owens on 10:26 - Mar 9 with 3451 viewsNorthernr

Charlie Owens on 10:23 - Mar 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

For every Owens or Alfa there is a Shodipo (Oxford) and Hamelainen (LA Galaxy) though.

It’s not just us it just seems obvious while things are shite I think.

Maybe they make great tea.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2023 10:23]

We brought in £250k on player trading last year and that includes Kane to Coventry and Kelly to Motherwell.

If we are tricking people into not only borrowing Nico and Mide from us, but also paying us to do it (spoiler, we're not) then a) they're not paying very much and b) they're hiding it very effectively in the accounts because it's not there as far as I can see.
Charlie Owens on 10:27 - Mar 9 with 3437 viewsTheChef

I had no idea who Ody Alfa is - or why he's still with us at the age of 24!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Charlie Owens on 10:29 - Mar 9 with 3422 viewsNed_Kennedys

Exactly: these players should be absolutely smashing it at non league level to show they have something about them to potentially play for our first team. Quite often they aren’t even regular starters at their loan clubs let alone getting rave reviews.
Total waste of time and money unless they are still teenagers needing to play mens football IMO.
Charlie Owens on 10:50 - Mar 9 with 3349 viewsDiscodroids

Happy 24th Birthday Alfa!.

Can I also wish a happy birthday today to QPR Academy prospect and left-inside Half, Norman Woplin, 83.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2023 10:51]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Charlie Owens on 11:06 - Mar 9 with 3263 viewsWegerles_Stairs

We're basically a creche.
Charlie Owens on 11:08 - Mar 9 with 3261 viewsNorthernr

Charlie Owens on 11:06 - Mar 9 by Wegerles_Stairs

We're basically a creche.

Adult creche - Nico is closer to 30 than 20
Creche for the dad's while mum goes round Meadowhall.
Charlie Owens on 11:12 - Mar 9 with 3242 viewsdaveB

hasn't this always been the way at football clubs having back up players who are probably not good enough but you need them to fill the squad out. We've had tons over the years, Maurice Doyle was one in the 90's always around the squad but rarely played, The Graham brothers as well
A few years ago these kind of squad players at QPR were short term contracts from all around the world costing tons of money.

It's never black and white with these things, we were complaining recently that we released Jamal Lowe too early and are now having to pay big money to get him on loan when we had him in the first place.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2023 11:12]
Charlie Owens on 11:26 - Mar 9 with 3172 viewsNorthernr

Charlie Owens on 11:12 - Mar 9 by daveB

hasn't this always been the way at football clubs having back up players who are probably not good enough but you need them to fill the squad out. We've had tons over the years, Maurice Doyle was one in the 90's always around the squad but rarely played, The Graham brothers as well
A few years ago these kind of squad players at QPR were short term contracts from all around the world costing tons of money.

It's never black and white with these things, we were complaining recently that we released Jamal Lowe too early and are now having to pay big money to get him on loan when we had him in the first place.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2023 11:12]

I think you're being very generous.
Charlie Owens on 11:36 - Mar 9 with 3103 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Charlie Owens on 11:26 - Mar 9 by Northernr

I’m playing devils advocate, and I know we have an exceptional situation in regards to injuries right now, but who would we have played or filled the bench against Rotherham if we didn’t have Drewe, Gubbins, Dixon-Bonner, Aaoroha (sp).

Would have to have been 15/16 year olds. That works fine for me but I don’t see how useful it would have been for one of them to have had a debut under the current toxic cloud.
Charlie Owens on 11:37 - Mar 9 with 3078 viewsThird_Division_South

Charlie Owens on 11:26 - Mar 9 by Northernr

Maybe Kelman is doing better relatively better than most of us think? With these stats he would be the type of player we’d be looking to sign.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024