Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR 19:24 - May 8 with 15741 viewsBrianMcCarthy

This is what I don't get. He's talking more and more about transfrers as if he has, or wants, control over them. Shouldn't he be saying that he's looking forward to working with the DoF, or the recruitment team etc?

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/ainsworth-wants-proper-team-and-big-changes-

[Post edited 8 May 2023 19:46]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 10:30 - May 9 with 3118 viewsTonto

Big changes are needed. Im just not sure that they will be the right changes.

As Clive's excellent preview before the Brizzle said - we have no "base". We have spent the last 3 years accumulating players who play from the back. Is that still our style going forward? where is the youth pipeline? what is the objective? i could cope with going down, if it meant that we turned on a p[oductive youth pipeline and actually reversed the slippery trend we have been on for 5 years (other than the Warbs anomaly)

I have been a supporter of Les up until now, I believed in the process, but if we keep changing the process, then how are we supposed to reach the objective, which also seems to change? I'm afraid I believe the time is up on Les, and we need a new, much clearer and well defined approach. But im not sure that's going to happen.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 10:45 - May 9 with 3014 viewsstevec

Don’t recall Alec Stock needing a DOF.

Or Gordon Jago, Terry Venables, Don Howe, Jim Smith, Gerry Francis or, indeed, Ian Holloway.

It’s a modern myth that anyone at this level needs a DOF, Les had been a disaster, as I said he would when the fan base thought he was the answer to the Redknapp years.
Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 10:56 - May 9 with 2977 viewsdaveB

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 10:45 - May 9 by stevec

Or Gordon Jago, Terry Venables, Don Howe, Jim Smith, Gerry Francis or, indeed, Ian Holloway.

It’s a modern myth that anyone at this level needs a DOF, Les had been a disaster, as I said he would when the fan base thought he was the answer to the Redknapp years.

the need for a dof comes when the owners are on the other side of the world and don't want to run the club day to day and also during the time they did want to do this they were a disaster so they need someone to run it. Les may well not be the best person for that job anymore but someone needs to do it

Football was very different under the managers you mention but they all had either chairman running things or someone in another role to report into and help them.
Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 10:57 - May 9 with 2973 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 10:45 - May 9 by stevec

Fair point.

Most of them worked under an owenership who knew the industry, knew footballers at other clubs, knew values and characters and could rein in any excesses or follies, thus protecting our future.

The reason I want a DoF is because we don't have that now.

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 11:07 - May 9 with 2891 viewsstevec

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 10:57 - May 9 by BrianMcCarthy

Fair point.

Most of them worked under an owenership who knew the industry, knew footballers at other clubs, knew values and characters and could rein in any excesses or follies, thus protecting our future.

The reason I want a DoF is because we don't have that now.

Fair enough Brian but the board need to grow a pair of balls and run the club properly, not through an intermediary.

Ecclestone didn’t know the first thing about football, but an iron fist eventually found an answer in Warnock.
Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 11:12 - May 9 with 2869 viewsdaveB

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 11:07 - May 9 by stevec

Fair enough Brian but the board need to grow a pair of balls and run the club properly, not through an intermediary.

Ecclestone didn’t know the first thing about football, but an iron fist eventually found an answer in Warnock.

Ecclestone & Flavio had Paladini running the club day to day, they never did it themselves
Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 11:18 - May 9 with 2825 viewsHarbour

I think we need a DoF so we get continuity of playing style and not the constant change of players that suit the manager who then gets sacked and we get another manager who wants a whole new set of players. It did seem for a small period it was working under LF but this season has been a disaster and LF has to take responsibility. Time for a new DoF Les has had a good stint time for a change. But got to be careful to get the right person.
Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 11:36 - May 9 with 2717 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I agree, Steve. This hands-off lark isn't working. Sadly, I don't think it's going to happen, though.

Login to get fewer ads

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 11:37 - May 9 with 2714 viewsloftus77

I’m trying to contribute something that gives a new angle, but not easy — so much has been covered well on here.

I think we stand, right-here-right-now, at a fork in the road — and there are, IMHO, 2 options.

1) The ‘Bobby Ewing in the shower’ option - We go grovelling to West Ham, swallow our pride, and formally approach Mark Warburton to return to be our new DoF next season with full powers to direct all footballing operations including MW’s choice of Head Coach, coaching staff and team. LF either leaves on his own accord or is moved to a full Ambassadorial role for QPR as befits his rightful status as a club legend. Same terms to Gareth Ainsworth if he wishes. In this sense, the nightmare of this season ‘never happened’; it was a vague false rumour exactly as Clive said. Instead, it’s apologies all round, we rewind to May 2022 and continue with the strategy developed at the club over recent years with MW at the helm.

2) ‘All power to Gaz’ — he’s a legend, he’s uber-keen, he’s on it and he’s ‘kept us up’. So, back him then. And I mean back him - all the way. None of this ‘getting rid in Nov/Dec’ malarkey if we’re 10pts adrift of Cardiff/Plymouth/Stoke at the bottom. If we’re heading towards L1 at the speed of light then that’s exactly where we go and we have the perfect gaffer in Gaz to rebuild in the best traditional British style from the lower leagues, with ‘what manager wants manager gets’ formalised. Accept Clive’s point about ‘getting worse before getting better’ as the new long-term plan. What happens with Les under this option, goodness knows. I suspect the DofF role should be quietly dropped.

In an ideal world I would want option 1 but, realistically now it probably has to be 2. There is no 3rd option anymore.
Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 11:56 - May 9 with 2616 viewsRangersw12

I think we all need to pray that Eze continues his form and someone comes in for him in the summer

That would starve off a fire sale and actually allow us to recruit without panicking
Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 12:02 - May 9 with 2583 viewsderbyhoop

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 22:44 - May 8 by Northernr

One or two changes today might have been a start. WTAF was that?

Amos for Iroegbunam and Martin for Lowe were 2 changes.
That worked well, didn't it? 2 of the worst players on the pitch.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 12:08 - May 9 with 2540 viewsAntti_Heinola

There's some frankly incredible rewriting of history around the Flavio/Bernie 'regime' on this site.
It was a frenzied, mostly catastrophic mess, with fans in outright revolt over the 'boutique' BS, and was saved by enormous investment that would be illegal now under FFP and landed on Warnock almost by chance after multiple other options had failed to an almost catastrophic degree.

Examples of how Alec Stock ran the club 60 years ago are irrelevant to the modern game, and to think otherwise is naive and completely ignores what the game is now compared to then.

There's nothing wrong with owners hiring people to run the club and to make a plan going forward which we stick to. Like all owners, they have other jobs and businesses. Yes we'd all love a Benham or Bloom, but we don't have that. It makes total sense to allow a manager or head coach the freedom to concentrate on team affairs only, without having to juggle the million other things that go into running a club - and also managers are expendable now - you need continuity.

Bare bones.

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 12:25 - May 9 with 2413 viewsNov77

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 11:12 - May 9 by daveB

Ecclestone & Flavio had Paladini running the club day to day, they never did it themselves

I used to see Flávio at reserve team games on the phone constantly, I think he was very ‘hands on’, didn’t tolerate failure.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 12:32 - May 9 with 2353 viewsDavieQPR

It just worries me that GA prefers runners over skilful players that can change a game.
Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 13:17 - May 9 with 2215 viewsthemodfather

it will all depend on money and we are losing £2m a month , just now. with few we can sell for big cash if any , we are likely going to get the cheapest options who cannot get signed elsewhere. if we find new investment of someone buys EZE at huge fee things could be different.
Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 13:25 - May 9 with 2178 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 12:25 - May 9 by Nov77

I used to see Flávio at reserve team games on the phone constantly, I think he was very ‘hands on’, didn’t tolerate failure.

ha ha. I do love people who 'don't tolerate failure' - smacks of people who go around blaming everyone but themselves for the failure they're overseeing. He was so awful he had to step aside and let someone else do it.

Bare bones.

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 14:04 - May 9 with 2055 viewsNorthantsHoop

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 00:44 - May 9 by Burnleyhoop

Love the optimism.

Whatever Ainsworth comes up with, it really can’t be any worse than watching the likes of Amos, Dozzell, Adohma, Johansen, Roberts, Richards and a crocked Willock muster.

I have never seen such a bunch of lame arses in forty + years of supporting Rangers and I cannot believe that next seasons team can possibly be any worse than this lot.

Not expecting the football to be great, but giving a toss would make a pleasant change and would likely have us finishing back in our favourite finishing spot of 16th. Can’t wait.

Exactly this lot of players are just a bunch of sulking losers cobbled together really without any sense or style of play, most of the time they can't even pass to each other. Somehow Ainsworth was able to get them over the line but my god they are all useless. I just want to see a new team next season.
Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 14:41 - May 9 with 1916 viewsArcticHoop

Guess our transfers are PL loans and a few free transfers League 1. Depressing, but reality we are atm. Well at least GA should know League 1 players who could might do the job for us
Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 14:44 - May 9 with 1901 viewstraininvain

My fear is what happens if Ainsworth has a poor start to next season after being allowed to overhaul the squad to suit his style of football. We all know he’ll be gone by Christmas if results are poor.

Presumably any mid season replacement would need a similar football ethos to Ainsworth and I can’t think of many successful managers around to fill that gap. We’re really pigeonholing ourselves by backing Ainsworth.

If the owners had any sense (fat chance) they’d push for Warburton to return as manager without any interference from Ferdinand etc.

Put it this way. Who would give you more confidence of keeping us up next season, Ainsworth or Warburton?
Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 14:49 - May 9 with 1866 viewsswisscottage

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 10:30 - May 9 by Tonto

Big changes are needed. Im just not sure that they will be the right changes.

As Clive's excellent preview before the Brizzle said - we have no "base". We have spent the last 3 years accumulating players who play from the back. Is that still our style going forward? where is the youth pipeline? what is the objective? i could cope with going down, if it meant that we turned on a p[oductive youth pipeline and actually reversed the slippery trend we have been on for 5 years (other than the Warbs anomaly)

I have been a supporter of Les up until now, I believed in the process, but if we keep changing the process, then how are we supposed to reach the objective, which also seems to change? I'm afraid I believe the time is up on Les, and we need a new, much clearer and well defined approach. But im not sure that's going to happen.

The question is have we accumulated players that enable us to play out from the back that are good enough for the championship.

I do not believe we have. It only take one of Johansen, Chair or Willock to either be injured, not interested or playing below par for us to watch paint dry as the ball is played around the three Ds for our 55% possession stat... that's just as frustrating as watching aimless balls punted up the pitch.

We keep being held up against Brentford, Luton and Millwall and saying why can't we do what they do ... I don't think any of those clubs can be argued to be a play it out from the back kind of team.
Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 14:59 - May 9 with 1795 viewsLoyalitat

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 14:44 - May 9 by traininvain

My fear is what happens if Ainsworth has a poor start to next season after being allowed to overhaul the squad to suit his style of football. We all know he’ll be gone by Christmas if results are poor.

Presumably any mid season replacement would need a similar football ethos to Ainsworth and I can’t think of many successful managers around to fill that gap. We’re really pigeonholing ourselves by backing Ainsworth.

If the owners had any sense (fat chance) they’d push for Warburton to return as manager without any interference from Ferdinand etc.

Put it this way. Who would give you more confidence of keeping us up next season, Ainsworth or Warburton?

Totally agree but it won't happen.

This time last year, it was felt that Warburton "had failed", but still managed to get 28 points from our last 24 games. By way of contrast, a team that mirrored our second-half to the season drop off in form: Coventry City who finished below us, kept Robins, offered him a new deal and have now made this year's play-offs.

We got 66 points last year in a much harder league, not saying that Warburton would have replicated that, but 69 points got you into this year's play-offs. I say harder league as Bournemouth and Fulham are safe in the Premier League for another season, on the back of the nucleus of their respective Championship squads acquitting themselves very well in the league above.

After yesterday's results, Forest's prospects of staying up have improved too.
[Post edited 9 May 2023 16:23]
Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 15:39 - May 9 with 1648 viewskensalriser

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 12:08 - May 9 by Antti_Heinola

There's some frankly incredible rewriting of history around the Flavio/Bernie 'regime' on this site.
It was a frenzied, mostly catastrophic mess, with fans in outright revolt over the 'boutique' BS, and was saved by enormous investment that would be illegal now under FFP and landed on Warnock almost by chance after multiple other options had failed to an almost catastrophic degree.

Examples of how Alec Stock ran the club 60 years ago are irrelevant to the modern game, and to think otherwise is naive and completely ignores what the game is now compared to then.

There's nothing wrong with owners hiring people to run the club and to make a plan going forward which we stick to. Like all owners, they have other jobs and businesses. Yes we'd all love a Benham or Bloom, but we don't have that. It makes total sense to allow a manager or head coach the freedom to concentrate on team affairs only, without having to juggle the million other things that go into running a club - and also managers are expendable now - you need continuity.

They must have been handing out rose tinted specs at games this season.

Briatore and Ecclestone got lucky and they got lucky with a playing budget more than double that of Norwich who finished only four points behind. People hail Warnock as a genius but the truth is that without Adel we wouldn't even have made the playoffs.
[Post edited 9 May 2023 17:20]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 16:09 - May 9 with 1496 viewsA40Bosh

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 15:39 - May 9 by kensalriser

They must have been handing out rose tinted specs at games this season.

Briatore and Ecclestone got lucky and they got lucky with a playing budget more than double that of Norwich who finished only four points behind. People hail Warnock as a genius but the truth is that without Adel we wouldn't even have made the playoffs.
[Post edited 9 May 2023 17:20]

Interesting thread - and nice to see any counter arguments being respectfully handled by other posters - thankfully.

I have always tried to see an upside approaching a new season but I am now burnt out, and can see nothing positive.

This is nothing against GA or even LF, I just think that financially we are so poor in real terms, from an operating budget, that no matter what we have tried post FFP, we have run out of options to fix our on the field levels to try and at least punch above our weight.

The only possible thing that might save us is that GA might (MIGHT) have the man management skills to put the confidence and fear in to a new set of "rough diamonds" from league one or two who will then get enough points to get us mid-table or at least avoid relegation. That may come at the cost of sexy football - but we cannot have both at the moment.

I can't even see where we are going to get much money from in sales - unless Willock's agent has an old show reel to put under other clubs noses and say he is back from injury now and will be brilliant in a better team - The way he pulled out of challenges and went down yesterday had me screaming "just fuuucck off now" at him from the back row of SAR. If Sam Field's agent isn't hawking "QPR Player of the Year" around clubs already I would be very surprised - and he is the only one I would actually want to keep at all costs

Doomed.

At what point does this count as us being in an abusive relationship and you have to run away?

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 16:20 - May 9 with 1433 viewshantssi

Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 14:44 - May 9 by traininvain

To keep us up with the budget we’ve got to play with I’d say GA but it won’t be pretty!!
Ainsworth wants ‘big changes’ at QPR on 16:47 - May 9 with 1336 viewsWatfordR

It doesn't matter whether the guy running the first team is Ainsworth or anyone else, and irrespective of what anyone thinks of the job LF has done, the club absolutely should have a DoF.

You can name any number of managers from the club's history that you like, none of them would, should or could dedicate the amount of time that is needed to instill a top to bottom, coherent, integrated football culture at the club.

A good, competent DoF should oversee what is happening at first team level, at B team level, U23 and downwards junior level, should be ensuring that all levels of recruitment are consistent with that culture, and that the development of players is happening within agreed and required parameters. And if anyone within the coaching, recruitment and development structure isn't doing what is expected and/or required, should be taking whatever action is necessary to rectify that underperformance.

Without any inside knowledge whatsoever, my feeling is that there is a culture of complacency running right through the club. Various interviews with individuals that I have seen on the club website often leave me feeling that some of those individuals think they are doing a far better job than results suggest. This comes from top management down. If you have the right management, you'll have the right performance from those below them.

Where I believe the problem arises, and I think this has been alluded to by a few posters, is when the senior club management, be it DoF or CEO, are not being held to the same level of accountability by their bosses, ie the owners, and their performance drops below acceptable levels. It seems very apparent to me that discipline within the first team squad has been allowed to drop below acceptable levels over the last 12-15 months, and that has to be the responsibility of the DoF.

I've said it elsewhere in the last week, there has to be more professionalism, more hunger for success, from top to bottom. Otherwise, every day we're simply slipping further behind all those other clubs who are "doing it right".

I'm torn about ST renewal next season. I want to support my club, but I don't want to be responsible in my small way for passively encouraging the club in going down a road that will cause them medium to long term damage at a time when we can least afford to. But I can tell you, not replacing LF with a DoF and allowing GA free reign to sign who he wants and dictate the sort of footballer that our academy produces would be my red line in the sand.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024