Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ainsworth on Oxford 18:30 - Jul 29 with 18594 viewsQPRSteve

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/2023/july/29/ainsworth-post-oxford/

“I’m pleased with where we are in some aspects but that wasn’t good enough."

Pleased with what?
Ainsworth on Oxford on 21:25 - Jul 29 with 3878 viewsMick_S

Ainsworth on Oxford on 21:11 - Jul 29 by Wilkinswatercarrier

A good manager makes players better. In the few months he's been here he has managed to make them worse. That is a fact.

Warburton shipped 14 players out in his first pre season and improved us with a distinct style. If the only tactic u can offer is smack it beyond the opposition fullback then you're out of your depth.

They are not playing for him already.

And he’s called them out, like Critchley did. We’ve been here before. Oh dear.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Ainsworth on Oxford on 21:49 - Jul 29 with 3718 viewsDejR_vu

There’s no doubt there’s a rot set in that needs to be cut out. It doesn't matter good a player is on paper, they’ve been part of a team that was nothing short of disgraceful. How Willock can go from what he was to what he is now is a disgrace, he should be ashamed of himself. He needs to go just so that we can get someone else in.

In an ideal world, the only players I would have kept from last season would have been Dunne, Field, Chair, and Dykes. But, of course, typical QPR, we not only run out of money, but do it as the worst possible time.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Ainsworth on Oxford on 21:57 - Jul 29 with 3637 viewsstainrods_elbow

Ainsworth on Oxford on 19:55 - Jul 29 by E15Hoop

I think he'll drop Field in there, which makes sense given its the number one crisis to be solved. I think Gape will be signed as swiftly as possible now and GA will gamble this his age and experience will get him up to speed immediately in central mid.

That at least should buy some degree of breathing space in a sort of small boats bringing the soldiers back to Britain from Dunkirk in 1940 kind of way.

Signing Gape to plug a gap, a very ordinary League 1 midfielder who's managed less than 50 games in the last three years for the mighty Wycombe, makes me feel Gareth's main aim this season is to ensure we're playing them in League 1 in 2024/25. Then again, having noted their 9th place finish last season, who'd bet against the fiendish fatalism of the two clubs exchanging divisions by end of play?

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Ainsworth on Oxford on 22:01 - Jul 29 with 3620 viewsstainrods_elbow

Ainsworth on Oxford on 20:44 - Jul 29 by baz_qpr

Do we think Oxford had better players than us or just that they were better drilled and better organised, and everyone knew their job. It looked more like the latter to me and more than anything that is the worrying part.

This 100%. Let's not forget Dobson is 50% of this double act too. I'd like to see London drag him out in front of their cameras and ask for his assessment of that fiasco, and how he feels it reflects on him. If Ainsworth really wants the brickbats to be on him/them, I'll call it as I see it: Gareth and Richard, get your f*cking fingers out of your aresholes!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Ainsworth on Oxford on 22:03 - Jul 29 with 3648 viewsNorthernr

Ainsworth on Oxford on 20:44 - Jul 29 by baz_qpr

Do we think Oxford had better players than us or just that they were better drilled and better organised, and everyone knew their job. It looked more like the latter to me and more than anything that is the worrying part.

Both. Much better team than us, and sadly far better coached on that evidence.
Ainsworth on Oxford on 22:10 - Jul 29 with 3580 viewsted_hendrix

I don't reckon we've got very good players and I don't reckon we've got a very good Manager either.

5-0

5 bloody 0

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ainsworth on Oxford on 22:15 - Jul 29 with 3552 viewswombat

Ainsworth on Oxford on 21:00 - Jul 29 by Northernr

He's also, how can I put this, an odd shape.

Glad somebody else noticed that Clive , I thought it was just me , he’s like a cut and shit footballer cobbled together for two or three retired players , huge arse as well for a little bloke

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Ainsworth on Oxford on 22:17 - Jul 29 with 3535 viewsThe_Beast1976

Ainsworth on Oxford on 21:25 - Jul 29 by Mick_S

And he’s called them out, like Critchley did. We’ve been here before. Oh dear.

That could have been Critchley speaking in that Ainsworth interview today. Exactly the same as we heard from him, and we all know what happened next. WTF is wrong with these players? Shameful
Login to get fewer ads

Ainsworth on Oxford on 22:19 - Jul 29 with 3514 viewsloneranger1

Ainsworth on Oxford on 22:03 - Jul 29 by Northernr

Both. Much better team than us, and sadly far better coached on that evidence.

Yes
"Do we think Oxford had better players than us or just that they were better drilled and better organised"
Well, no matter how well Willock might have played for us in the past, he didn't look very good today.
But then if you don't really want it, then you won't look very good. And there was a lack of desire from several today
Others just aren't very good - hard to know whether they ever will do but our second half centre backs have never played a minute of professional comeptitive football, I believe? Hardly surprising they were shown up against a League One team.
Ainsworth on Oxford on 22:25 - Jul 29 with 3460 viewsBluce_Ree

Ainsworth on Oxford on 20:51 - Jul 29 by Jevlar

Oh dear. Didn't go to the game today, but not the ideal preparation for the new season.

What is it with the state of our club?

- Evil Les?
- Crap training facilities not up to snuff?
- New training facilities meaning they think they've got it made?
- Warburton, Beale, Critchley, Ainsworth all the wrong sort?
- Player power?
- Some weird 16th in the championship complex?

I guess the only saving grace is that it wasn't the first league game.

But as Norf has said, that interview had strong Critchley vibes and I don't blame GA.

Whether you're a happy clapper or not. I felt frustrated for him watching that interview.

Crystal ball territory of course, but are we gonna see another QPR cult hero binned off in 15 games...

"What is it with the state of our club?"

Easy. That'll be the motherfking CURSE.

In effect.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Ainsworth on Oxford on 22:31 - Jul 29 with 3400 viewsgazza1

GA has not helped himself.........

it was clear that we needed a 'spine in the team'.......GK, CB, CM CF - players were needed for these positions, important, very,

So what has GA signed.........

A 36 year old keeper that has got lots of experience but only played like 10 games over the past two seasons. How good(or bad) he is nobody knows and I note that many think that he is a great signing. Not only that he is Captain of the team.

Then he signs two left footed full backs despite having a good left back in Paal. I seriously thought that that Paal was leaving and the reason why we signed Ziyad the lad from Fulham, Not only that we sign another left back in Fox who I presume is going to be shoe horned into a CB.

Lastly we signed Smyth, someone who was not good enough a couple of seasons ago, but we already have Willock & Chair to cover wide midfielder role. Not sure where Smyth will play tbh.

So 4 summer signings of which only one of them, the 36 year old, will be starting every week. WTF did we not sign players that we will be starting every week and improve the starting line up....CB, CM, CF??......very clear that we need players that can play in those positions.

Then today, we only play one of the summer signings at Oxford, the 36 year old!!! And we send Armstrong to Bedford along with Ziyad, fooking Bedford. Then it is thought/decided that Fox is not fit enough to play in either of the games, not even 45 minutes!!!!

GA needs to look inward as to what he is actually doing......perhaps we are missing LF.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 22:32]
Ainsworth on Oxford on 22:40 - Jul 29 with 3349 viewsBklynRanger

Ainsworth on Oxford on 22:17 - Jul 29 by The_Beast1976

That could have been Critchley speaking in that Ainsworth interview today. Exactly the same as we heard from him, and we all know what happened next. WTF is wrong with these players? Shameful

Thought the same thing but if anything slightly worse than Critchley, as far as the comments about being men etc

So if that's the man motivator coming to that conclusion, who is also a complete move away from Critchley in terms of style of play and coaching experience, which used to be the plan, what is the point?

He also said more openly than ever that we basically can't buy anyone, but there was a poster on here the other day who regurgitated with great confidence a series of facts and figures that he had written on the back of a fag packet in the Plough and Harrow, that refuted with huge aplomb this apparent reality, so that was quite confusing too.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 22:41]
Ainsworth on Oxford on 22:41 - Jul 29 with 3338 viewsLogman

Ainsworth on Oxford on 22:31 - Jul 29 by gazza1

GA has not helped himself.........

it was clear that we needed a 'spine in the team'.......GK, CB, CM CF - players were needed for these positions, important, very,

So what has GA signed.........

A 36 year old keeper that has got lots of experience but only played like 10 games over the past two seasons. How good(or bad) he is nobody knows and I note that many think that he is a great signing. Not only that he is Captain of the team.

Then he signs two left footed full backs despite having a good left back in Paal. I seriously thought that that Paal was leaving and the reason why we signed Ziyad the lad from Fulham, Not only that we sign another left back in Fox who I presume is going to be shoe horned into a CB.

Lastly we signed Smyth, someone who was not good enough a couple of seasons ago, but we already have Willock & Chair to cover wide midfielder role. Not sure where Smyth will play tbh.

So 4 summer signings of which only one of them, the 36 year old, will be starting every week. WTF did we not sign players that we will be starting every week and improve the starting line up....CB, CM, CF??......very clear that we need players that can play in those positions.

Then today, we only play one of the summer signings at Oxford, the 36 year old!!! And we send Armstrong to Bedford along with Ziyad, fooking Bedford. Then it is thought/decided that Fox is not fit enough to play in either of the games, not even 45 minutes!!!!

GA needs to look inward as to what he is actually doing......perhaps we are missing LF.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 22:32]

I think GA might have wanted the players that you describe but they were out of our bracket. Take Lewis Wing for example. He was obviously offered more by Reading and even if Reading hadn't come in then allegedly he was on more at Wycombe than we were offering. I am sure it is a similar story with many others. It's not GA's fault. He's said many times that we need leaders but they are obviously not going to come to us if they get better offers.

The sad thing is that none of the development squad have real leadership qualities. They are sheep I am afraid in terms of leadership qualities.
Ainsworth on Oxford on 23:19 - Jul 29 with 3207 viewsOakR

For me this all goes back to the panic Ainsworth appointment.

We'd in fairness decided on a team that would play out from the back, something both Warburton and Beale did. After Critchley didn't work out, we panicked and got fans favourite Ainswort in. A cowardly decision, that is looking worse by the day. We all wanted and want it still to work but we've got someone in who plays a completely different style of football for the squad we have. That means squad overhaul, but we have no money. I don't know what to say really, it's just depressing.

Part of me things maybe things will get better during the season with my optimistic head on, but we'd have to get very lucky for that to happen.

We're in a period where we have what should be 2 of the best players in the league in Chair and Willock, and it feels like they will be wasted and then solf for a pittance after poor periods.

I thought hoped we were past the new manager = have to change the squad, and we were, but not we are back to it. Instead of it being expensive in terms of signings, we now can't afford any which makes the appointment so illogical.

It's a real shame as at another time with another squad maybe it could have worked.

Hopefully I am wrong and we turn it around - I would hate Ainsworth to have to suffer because we appointmed him at the wrong time with the wrong squad.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Ainsworth on Oxford on 05:30 - Jul 30 with 2899 viewsGloucs_R

Was Ainsworth a fans favourite? I really don't remember too many wanting him.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Ainsworth on Oxford on 08:19 - Jul 30 with 2675 viewsdistortR

Ainsworth on Oxford on 22:41 - Jul 29 by Logman

I think GA might have wanted the players that you describe but they were out of our bracket. Take Lewis Wing for example. He was obviously offered more by Reading and even if Reading hadn't come in then allegedly he was on more at Wycombe than we were offering. I am sure it is a similar story with many others. It's not GA's fault. He's said many times that we need leaders but they are obviously not going to come to us if they get better offers.

The sad thing is that none of the development squad have real leadership qualities. They are sheep I am afraid in terms of leadership qualities.

Trying not to be too boring on this, but it's not just the money issue - which is huge -that is preventing players joining.
If player's - or their agents - thought that they could further their career by signing for us, if they could shine as players and get the scouts watching them, they might be tempted.
But the football Ainsworth has always favoured (and I'm not discounting that he may want to change that), well, there's not many positions you can play and look good.
Clusterfck.
Ainsworth on Oxford on 08:25 - Jul 30 with 2654 viewsDejR_vu

This “give the boys the credit when we win, put it on me when we lose” is, and always was, absolutely ridiculous (1) because it is just so transparently ludicrous (2) assumes you’re protecting decent pros who are, genuinely, trying their best (3) gives an excuse to the w@nkers we have at the club who will be quite happy to hang anyone out to dry (4) just sets himself up for a fall when the players are clearly, continuously, mugging him off. He loses credibility with the fanbase every time he says it. He talks about psychology and then demonstrates his lack of knowledge on the subject. I can understand he can’t b0ll0ck them in the media, but he needs to think about how he’s going to field that issue because the question is going to be asked an awful lot this season. For all the criticism of MW, he nailed it with his ‘first contacts’, ‘winning duels’, ‘looking after the football’ ie this bunch of w@nkers aren’t doing it, but without throwing anyone under the bus.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 8:38]

Ainsworth on Oxford on 08:34 - Jul 30 with 2612 viewsDejR_vu

Ainsworth on Oxford on 08:19 - Jul 30 by distortR

Trying not to be too boring on this, but it's not just the money issue - which is huge -that is preventing players joining.
If player's - or their agents - thought that they could further their career by signing for us, if they could shine as players and get the scouts watching them, they might be tempted.
But the football Ainsworth has always favoured (and I'm not discounting that he may want to change that), well, there's not many positions you can play and look good.
Clusterfck.

Even more demoralising is where we were on this just a couple of years back.

These owners just can’t get anything right. They have absolutely destroyed the club, to the point we’re on life support and they have their fingers in the switch. They will take us to oblivion.

Ainsworth on Oxford on 08:52 - Jul 30 with 2537 viewsdistortR

Ainsworth on Oxford on 08:34 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

These owners just can’t get anything right. They have absolutely destroyed the club, to the point we’re on life support and they have their fingers in the switch. They will take us to oblivion.

I think under Warbs aspiring young players would have found us more attractive, playing a style of football that would allow themselves to further their careers.
Richards, Chair, Willock. Now, 2 of the 3 are dodgy, but get the ball down, get it to them, get them enjoying their football, ffs.
It reminds me a bit of Redknapp bringing Hoddle in to get us playing 3 at the back, when we hadn't the players to do that. Simply put, we haven't the players to play an intensive, high ball game, like Redknapp before we're left with neither one or the other. We've f'cked the pre-season away.
Ainsworth on Oxford on 09:01 - Jul 30 with 2490 viewsPunteR

Ainsworth on Oxford on 08:34 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

Sadly I think you are right.
Feels like we've just wasted the last 8-9 years.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Ainsworth on Oxford on 09:09 - Jul 30 with 2453 viewshubble

Ainsworth on Oxford on 21:02 - Jul 29 by Jevlar

Odd Shape Gape.

Even Odd Shape Gape
Wearing a cape
Couldn't save the season,
He came too late

The back line crocked
The manager mocked
Even when the teams above us
Had 52 points docked

He couldn't save our season
He came too late
And he was shite anyway
Odd Shape Gape

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Ainsworth on Oxford on 10:09 - Jul 30 with 2286 viewsTK1

When QPR have perhaps one point from the first 18 available, and the natives are in such open revolt as Sunderland lay waste to their team at Loftus Road that the board - as they always do - pierce their long-term plans on short-term relief by sacking Gareth Ainsworth and Richard Dobson...what then?

Because nobody - but nobody - able of making a football-decision let alone designing a footballing plan for QPR is in place at the club to do so. Hoos, Reuben, Bhatia cannot do it, we know that. They've outsourced the search for a new DOF to an American data-analytics firm. They're relaxed about appointing one. Probably won't confirm one until after the window closes. Meanwhile, the job becomes more attractive every week.

"I'm happy about it," said one Tweeter when trying not reveal details of his big news while also letting everyone know he knew first: Les Ferdinand had left. People were very happy about LF throwing his chips in. Those clown memes had worked. But what has replaced that model? A L2/L1 manager of a very small team trying to impose those working practices on an extremely jumped-up Championship club with decades-long delusions of grandeur. It will not hold.

Ainsworth wants to coach the team, pick it, buy the players, sort out the culture, change the fitness routines, do all the media, rearrange the training ground, oversee the playing structures...and by the way, he's doing a Q&A and live PA at Rough Trade East for his band's album the night before Wimbledon away. He's a nice guy and was a good player for QPR, a useful Wycombe manager. But he is not a QPR manager in the 21st century. I read his cheerleaders on here talking about the long-term nature of his work, how we'll feel the benefit from years two-to-three of his tenure onwards. He'll be lucky to get ten months. This is QPR.

The model was good. A DOF and a head coach, aligned, to ensure 16th was the baseline, gradually sneaking upwards. Some disappointing seasons, some good. DOF ultimately in charge to protect a an incapable board from themselves. Now we have this: a sad man in cowboy boots who we once cheered rubbing his face in despair saying a 5-0 defeat away to Oxford United in preseason might be just what we need.

Really reminds me of the Garry Waddock preseason: two good QPR men who do not stand a chance because everything else is in chaos and financial ruin. Then, as now, it's all about what's going on above them. We need a dynamic, engaged, wily DOF and chairman desperately. We have neither.
Ainsworth on Oxford on 10:38 - Jul 30 with 2186 viewsbaz_qpr

Ainsworth on Oxford on 10:09 - Jul 30 by TK1

When QPR have perhaps one point from the first 18 available, and the natives are in such open revolt as Sunderland lay waste to their team at Loftus Road that the board - as they always do - pierce their long-term plans on short-term relief by sacking Gareth Ainsworth and Richard Dobson...what then?

Because nobody - but nobody - able of making a football-decision let alone designing a footballing plan for QPR is in place at the club to do so. Hoos, Reuben, Bhatia cannot do it, we know that. They've outsourced the search for a new DOF to an American data-analytics firm. They're relaxed about appointing one. Probably won't confirm one until after the window closes. Meanwhile, the job becomes more attractive every week.

"I'm happy about it," said one Tweeter when trying not reveal details of his big news while also letting everyone know he knew first: Les Ferdinand had left. People were very happy about LF throwing his chips in. Those clown memes had worked. But what has replaced that model? A L2/L1 manager of a very small team trying to impose those working practices on an extremely jumped-up Championship club with decades-long delusions of grandeur. It will not hold.

Ainsworth wants to coach the team, pick it, buy the players, sort out the culture, change the fitness routines, do all the media, rearrange the training ground, oversee the playing structures...and by the way, he's doing a Q&A and live PA at Rough Trade East for his band's album the night before Wimbledon away. He's a nice guy and was a good player for QPR, a useful Wycombe manager. But he is not a QPR manager in the 21st century. I read his cheerleaders on here talking about the long-term nature of his work, how we'll feel the benefit from years two-to-three of his tenure onwards. He'll be lucky to get ten months. This is QPR.

The model was good. A DOF and a head coach, aligned, to ensure 16th was the baseline, gradually sneaking upwards. Some disappointing seasons, some good. DOF ultimately in charge to protect a an incapable board from themselves. Now we have this: a sad man in cowboy boots who we once cheered rubbing his face in despair saying a 5-0 defeat away to Oxford United in preseason might be just what we need.

Really reminds me of the Garry Waddock preseason: two good QPR men who do not stand a chance because everything else is in chaos and financial ruin. Then, as now, it's all about what's going on above them. We need a dynamic, engaged, wily DOF and chairman desperately. We have neither.

This - I think we were on the right track up until the Critchley appointment a sliding doors moment. The decision making thereafter has been bizarre. We are going to end up with the best training ground in league one. I find it hard to believe we cannot pick up players a right back, a centre midfield clogger that can do the job we need for not much money, and if it is true that agents and clubs dont want their players to come to us because of style and growth opportunity then we have even further shot ourselves in the foot not just in the short term but medium to long term. Play like we did since February and the crowds and match day income will go too.

What needs addressing is the underperforming youth set up, the conveyer belt. But short term we need the best coaches we can possibly afford who can lift the players to be the best they can be with the skills they have and I sure aint seeing any evidence that is happening
Ainsworth on Oxford on 12:22 - Jul 30 with 1952 views1JD

He wants to be hard to beat this season, so what does he do?

He plays the same 2-man centre midfield combination that proved itself time and time again, throughout all of last season, and quite emphatically under Ainsworth, as being a massive part of the problem. I really don’t get it at all.
Ainsworth on Oxford on 12:28 - Jul 30 with 1918 viewsRangersw12

Ainsworth on Oxford on 12:22 - Jul 30 by 1JD

He wants to be hard to beat this season, so what does he do?

He plays the same 2-man centre midfield combination that proved itself time and time again, throughout all of last season, and quite emphatically under Ainsworth, as being a massive part of the problem. I really don’t get it at all.

He certainly needs to start with a 3 man midfield with Field used as a barrier to just sit in front of the back 4 .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024