Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Michael Parkinson 10:12 - Aug 17 with 8197 viewsted_hendrix

Bloke was a chat show legend.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

RIP Michael Parkinson on 14:31 - Aug 17 with 2328 viewsMrSheen

RIP Michael Parkinson on 12:41 - Aug 17 by R_from_afar

Funny you should mention that because I was just going to say that he was a very talented cricketer in his youth and that I have read a hilarious book by him about his cricket career. I read his book umpteen times, here's a link to it, it is a cracker:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cricket-Mad-Michael-Parkinson/dp/0099081407

He also wrote a similar book about his footballing exploits, "Football Daft," but I think the cricket one is better. He's very self-deprecating.

A sad loss, RIP.

His son once hit a century in a school game when I was keeping the score. He asked me to show him the book afterwards. Not sure who was more thrilled, him or me.
RIP Michael Parkinson on 14:35 - Aug 17 with 2314 viewsEastR

RIP Michael Parkinson on 14:31 - Aug 17 by MrSheen

His son once hit a century in a school game when I was keeping the score. He asked me to show him the book afterwards. Not sure who was more thrilled, him or me.

Nice one Mr Sheen and one for the CV - 'Interviewed by Parkinson'

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

RIP Michael Parkinson on 15:22 - Aug 17 with 2226 viewsizlingtonhoop

What a world we live in.

A man who chatted with Muhammed Ali, James Stewart, David Niven and many other (admittedly dead) greats, gets tributes mentioned in the guardian from Eddie bleedin Izzard and Nick bloody Robinson...
RIP Michael Parkinson on 16:06 - Aug 17 with 2138 viewsBushRanger82

Loved Parkinson, there's been no chat show like it since, largely because most of Parky's greatest guests, are up there waiting to greet him.

God Rest His Poor Soul.
RIP Michael Parkinson on 16:28 - Aug 17 with 2045 viewsfrancisbowles

RIP Michael Parkinson on 15:22 - Aug 17 by izlingtonhoop

What a world we live in.

A man who chatted with Muhammed Ali, James Stewart, David Niven and many other (admittedly dead) greats, gets tributes mentioned in the guardian from Eddie bleedin Izzard and Nick bloody Robinson...

James Cagney as well.
RIP Michael Parkinson on 16:36 - Aug 17 with 2008 viewsE17hoop

He was a great interviewer but did have a blindspot - which he recognised later in his life - that he didn't interview women well. His Mirren interview was really poor and he didn't manage Meg Ryan well either.

He did change the nature of chat shows in the UK and some of his interviews mentioned in this thread were ground breaking and his promotion of Billy Connolly means we owe him a debt.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

RIP Michael Parkinson on 16:44 - Aug 17 with 1959 viewsessextaxiboy

Before You Tube and Twitter there wasnt much chance to hear huge stars of sport and screen just talking as themselves . Some of his interviews have become iconic , Oliver Reed, George Best , Ali, Rod Hull the list is endless .

Parky and MOTD were Saturday nights.

RIP
RIP Michael Parkinson on 16:58 - Aug 17 with 1929 viewsLeedsR

RIP Michael Parkinson on 10:31 - Aug 17 by BrianMcCarthy

We were chatting about him on here recently.

The best interviewer in many eyes, mine included. Supremely gifted and superbly researched. It helped that he was a lovely and likeable gentleman.

His sports columns for the Daily Telegraph were also masterful.

An artist.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam árd-uasal.

RIP Parky.

"Sport is not war, or death, or famine – it’s not that at all. It’s the opposite of that. It’s to persuade us of a life outside of that… that’s why sport is important.”

That’s a great quote Brian.

RIP Parky
Login to get fewer ads

RIP Michael Parkinson on 18:21 - Aug 17 with 1852 viewsSnipper

RIP Michael Parkinson on 14:06 - Aug 17 by w7r

Did anyone catch LBC's Shelagh Fogarty speaking with Parky's oldest mate Dickie Bird just before 2pm today?

Such a moving piece, a couple of proper old mates, poor fella was weeping, sounds like they had a real love for each other.

He was the absolute master of his craft - RIP Parky.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2023 15:40]

Michael Parkinson, Dickie Bird & Geoff Boycott played for the same team.
RIP Michael Parkinson on 19:05 - Aug 17 with 1788 viewsCamberleyR

RIP Michael Parkinson on 18:21 - Aug 17 by Snipper

Michael Parkinson, Dickie Bird & Geoff Boycott played for the same team.

Parky's and Dickie Bird's dad were miners together and they'd known each other since they were very young.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

RIP Michael Parkinson on 21:50 - Aug 17 with 1718 viewsBlackCrowe

He was the UK master of chat show interviews. Dick Lovett in the US was the same...check him out on youtube...all the Hollywood, sport and music A listers...both he and they at ease and open with each other throughout...it's glorious insightful stuff.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

RIP Michael Parkinson on 22:16 - Aug 17 with 1685 viewscolinallcars

I've never watched a great deal of TV…..the pubs I go to don't have television. However, I've just watched a compilation of some of his best shows. He was quite a guy.
RIP Michael.
RIP Michael Parkinson on 23:03 - Aug 17 with 1671 viewsderbyhoop

Parky also played cricket for Yorkshire Seconds. With Dickie Bird.
I managed to play against him when he played for Maidenhead & Bray. He got 50 and 1 of the sons opened the bowling

Great interviewer who let the guests do the talking.
RIP

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

RIP Michael Parkinson on 00:39 - Aug 18 with 1582 viewsstainrods_elbow

RIP Michael Parkinson on 23:03 - Aug 17 by derbyhoop

Parky also played cricket for Yorkshire Seconds. With Dickie Bird.
I managed to play against him when he played for Maidenhead & Bray. He got 50 and 1 of the sons opened the bowling

Great interviewer who let the guests do the talking.
RIP

A journeyman journalist who got a lucky break to get on TV. Fluctuated between cantankerous and bland, and the way he played up to his Northern/working class roots was tedious. Mavis Nicholson worked in a similarly 'traditional' vein with far more charm and eloquence. As someone's pointed out, his notorious Helen Mirren interview was creepy, the one with Meg Ryan borderline misogynistic, and the encounter with Rod Hull's Emu was mainly notable for how he lost his rag. Thankfully displaced by the far sharper and wittier (albeit often annoying) Jonathan Ross and Clive Anderson. Enjoyed seeing Caroline Aherne/Ms Merton deconstructing him on her show, but only because it was her.

Lived a long life, though, made something of himself, and I'm sure he'll be missed by the many.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

RIP Michael Parkinson on 07:00 - Aug 18 with 1540 viewsSimplyNico

RIP Michael Parkinson on 00:39 - Aug 18 by stainrods_elbow

A journeyman journalist who got a lucky break to get on TV. Fluctuated between cantankerous and bland, and the way he played up to his Northern/working class roots was tedious. Mavis Nicholson worked in a similarly 'traditional' vein with far more charm and eloquence. As someone's pointed out, his notorious Helen Mirren interview was creepy, the one with Meg Ryan borderline misogynistic, and the encounter with Rod Hull's Emu was mainly notable for how he lost his rag. Thankfully displaced by the far sharper and wittier (albeit often annoying) Jonathan Ross and Clive Anderson. Enjoyed seeing Caroline Aherne/Ms Merton deconstructing him on her show, but only because it was her.

Lived a long life, though, made something of himself, and I'm sure he'll be missed by the many.

What a joyless world you inhabit.
RIP Michael Parkinson on 08:44 - Aug 18 with 1490 viewskernowhoop

We used to have Barnsley fans looking in on us here.
If you are still around - please accept our condolences.
RIP Michael Parkinson on 08:45 - Aug 18 with 1482 viewsBrianMcCarthy

RIP Michael Parkinson on 08:44 - Aug 18 by kernowhoop

Well said.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

RIP Michael Parkinson on 08:51 - Aug 18 with 1431 viewsCamberleyR

RIP Michael Parkinson on 07:00 - Aug 18 by SimplyNico

Well said.

There's only been one dissenting voce on this thread so far and typically it had to be him.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

RIP Michael Parkinson on 13:34 - Aug 18 with 1306 viewsw7r

RIP Michael Parkinson on 00:39 - Aug 18 by stainrods_elbow

Agree about the Helen Mirren thing - creepy.

Jonathan Ross though - really? Manages to effortlessly combine being both a pervy creep and sycophant who's starting to resemble a Robert Maxwell tribute act.
RIP Michael Parkinson on 14:01 - Aug 18 with 1251 viewsizlingtonhoop

RIP Michael Parkinson on 13:34 - Aug 18 by w7r

Agree about the Helen Mirren thing - creepy.

Jonathan Ross though - really? Manages to effortlessly combine being both a pervy creep and sycophant who's starting to resemble a Robert Maxwell tribute act.

All chat shows are shit nowadays. No one goes on them without something to plug.
When Parkinson chatted with James Stewart, or David Niven, and others, they just talked about stuff - lives, careers, beliefs.

And Parky never tried to be funnier or more interesting than the interviewee, a la Norton or Ross.

I was actually at a recording of Clive Anderson, where one of the guests was Helen Mirren. She was so very boring. So boring in fact, that they had to drag Julian Clary out again in the hope of getting something interesting to put out. Think about that!
RIP Michael Parkinson on 14:07 - Aug 18 with 1225 viewsstainrods_elbow

RIP Michael Parkinson on 07:00 - Aug 18 by SimplyNico

Trust me, I have a lot of joy in my life, thanks - I just know who/what I like, and who/what I don't, that's all. If it's a crime to say so in your sneering view, jog on!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

RIP Michael Parkinson on 14:18 - Aug 18 with 1212 viewsdenhamhoop2

Fantastic journalist even better interviewer most of the current lot should watch him and learn. Have a conversation and make it all about the person you are interviewing that way you actually find out things. A great supporter of Cricket and Barnsley FC knew exactly where he came from and though moving in different circles still retained a humble touch.
A very rare case of someone who moved channels and brought the viewers with him something very few have ever been able to do
MOTD followed by him was my Saturday nights as a youngster not sure there is anyone even close to him now
RIP Michael Parkinson on 18:59 - Aug 18 with 1074 viewsSimplyNico

RIP Michael Parkinson on 14:07 - Aug 18 by stainrods_elbow

Trust me, I have a lot of joy in my life, thanks - I just know who/what I like, and who/what I don't, that's all. If it's a crime to say so in your sneering view, jog on!

Perhaps wait until he is cold before you lay into him with your usual critical comments.
RIP Michael Parkinson on 19:13 - Aug 18 with 1052 viewsted_hendrix

RIP Michael Parkinson on 08:44 - Aug 18 by kernowhoop

I'm sure that ages ago I was reading something about MP and he mentioned the Trevor Sinclair ''goal'' as he (MP) was sat In the LR stand at the time.
Cant find It anywhere.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

RIP Michael Parkinson on 20:26 - Aug 18 with 992 viewsSuperhoops2808

RIP Michael Parkinson on 14:06 - Aug 17 by w7r

Did anyone catch LBC's Shelagh Fogarty speaking with Parky's oldest mate Dickie Bird just before 2pm today?

Such a moving piece, a couple of proper old mates, poor fella was weeping, sounds like they had a real love for each other.

He was the absolute master of his craft - RIP Parky.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2023 15:40]

Dickie Bird was also on BBC Breakfast this morning and in tears.

Also funny that he said Parky kept Boycott out of the team on more than one occasion - A lovely insight into a great man who clearly made his guests feel very comfortable.

I will still remember the Beckhams on there... Golden Balls
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024