Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today's showing 17:28 - Aug 26 with 16550 viewsDaBurgh

With the heart, commitment and character shown today against the team that will more likely run away with the league, against 12 men I would say that we are not going to be relegated. Just like that, yep I said it, may not finish above 16th but we will be fine.
Today's showing on 22:53 - Aug 26 with 2630 viewsdaveB

Today's showing on 22:50 - Aug 26 by Rangersw12

Thought Kakay was decent aswell

yeah did really well for the Smyth chance winning the ball back and that run in the first half was really good
Today's showing on 22:54 - Aug 26 with 2630 viewsCateLeBonR

Today's showing on 22:34 - Aug 26 by BlackCrowe

Yes i know that possession doesn't tell a proper story of how game has gone, but we have managed a range of 26% to 38% in our league matches so far but if it's going to be that way then...A) you need a fast team that can break and a fox in the box with those stats and B) you need incredible fitness levels and/or deep squad to play that way. We're lacking in both.

You use the word "need" a couple of times. Do you think we can't survive in the Championship playing like this? Or are you talking about succeeding at this level?
Today's showing on 23:04 - Aug 26 with 2574 viewsnix

There are teams below us even though we’ve only got 3 points after a tough four early matches. Huddersfield, Wednesday, Rotherham are all likely to struggle and only have two points between them and three if we add on Middlesbrough who I’d imagine are more likely to move up through the table. So yes it’s a good idea to be realistic but we shouldn’t be writing ourselves off just yet.
Today's showing on 23:18 - Aug 26 with 2525 viewscolinallcars

Nick Lowe had heart - and a rare mention on LFW.
Today's showing on 23:24 - Aug 26 with 2491 viewsLblock

Thought we were unlucky today

Lucky teams do well

Unlucky teams get relegated

Without the owners investing I really fear for us
I don’t buy the guff about FFP totally hamstringing us so that we can’t invest two Bob and a conker.

Let’s hope we are fit post international break and start making our own luck

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Today's showing on 23:31 - Aug 26 with 2469 viewsMatch82

Today's showing on 19:47 - Aug 26 by loftus77

Yep, another sterling (heartening) effort, but - brutally speaking - how many points did we gain today compared to the 'Watford shtshow'?

Sadly, all that matters, and will matter. Whenever we're playing well, we need to glean point(s) to prevail, not plaudits.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2023 19:50]

The way I look at it, the performance is a better projection of what to expect going forward than the number of points.

Put it this way, would you have more faith in our ability to do well next week based on today's performance and being unlucky to pick up no points, or if we had been played off the park like Watford but they'd contrived to miss 6 open goals and we got a win from our only shot vaguely towards goal which took four deflections on the way into the net?

Once it gets down to the last third of the season I'll take all the scrappy undeserved points we can get. But for now, that performance makes me believe more strongly that there's points in this team - we keep playing like that and we'll be ok.
Today's showing on 23:42 - Aug 26 with 2436 viewsqueensparker

Two games now where inexperienced players have missed absolute sitters that would have got us points. Kakay against Ipswich and Kolli who understandably bottled it in the last minute today when a simple volley would have meant an away end mayhem equaliser.

We seem have patches in games then long periods of nothing, but all in all was impressed by the effort and chances today. Can’t say the lads aren’t trying. And thank fk nobody has bought Chair. I don’t care how many signings him leaving would fund, without him we’d be toast
[Post edited 26 Aug 2023 23:43]
Today's showing on 23:57 - Aug 26 with 2411 viewsCateLeBonR

Today's showing on 23:24 - Aug 26 by Lblock

Thought we were unlucky today

Lucky teams do well

Unlucky teams get relegated

Without the owners investing I really fear for us
I don’t buy the guff about FFP totally hamstringing us so that we can’t invest two Bob and a conker.

Let’s hope we are fit post international break and start making our own luck

We didn't play well enough before their first goal. Our reaction to conceding was pleasing and we were surprisingly good for the rest of the first half. The game was fairly even after the break in terms of chances created but Adam Armstrong scored whereas Chair fluffed.
Login to get fewer ads

Today's showing on 00:20 - Aug 27 with 2338 viewsDesertBoot

Blimey some folk are easily pleased. Played ok but again failed to take our chances and looked shot after seventy minutes.
“Unlucky” and “proud of the boys” doesn’t get points on the board.
Ipswich very average and we lost to them, Saints average today and lost again.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Today's showing on 00:27 - Aug 27 with 2320 viewsconnell10

Well all I can say the quality in the championship has been over hyped again...some really poor teams in this league and the highly rated ones don't look much good. So I'd say Rangers have as good chance as anyone of staying up.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Today's showing on 00:45 - Aug 27 with 2284 viewsSouthamptonfan

Southampton fan in peace. Realised that my account with the Saints forum works on here too 🤔. QPR won't go down as has been suggested. It was tough game for us today. You hit the bar, disallowed goal, Bazunu made a great save, all at 1 each. The big guy up front seemed like a real handful and you attacked with heart and character. Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth were "easier" games for us. None of us Saints fans were at all comfortable at 2 1 and were whistling for the final whistle. Could easily have been a draw. QPR will be fine. Good luck for the rest of the season.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2023 0:47]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Today's showing on 00:54 - Aug 27 with 2271 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Today's showing on 19:44 - Aug 26 by Damo1962

If he thinks we could be Play- Off contenders...he needs to stay off the Bong. Start scoring some goals, and pick up some points at LR...that would be a good place to start. Play-Offs 🙄

Cardiff hit the bar twice otherwise we would have nothing after 4 games plus losing that cup game its actually staggering GA would be mentioning playoffs .
If we lose next week we could be bottom of the table despits all the so called green shoots .
He might not be worried but I suspect most of the fan base is .
Moral victories are nice but points count more .
Today's showing on 01:05 - Aug 27 with 2258 viewsHunterhoop

The season is 4 games old. Everyone calm down.

We’ve been beaten out of sight in one game. Since then there have been broadly 3 even games of which we’ve won one and lost two. Of these 4, 3 have been away and two against teams with vastly high budgets.

Several teams we expected to struggle are faring worse.

They are the tangibles.

The intangibles are that this group seem to care more and are trying harder. We’re playing a new system which is quite nuances depending where on the pitch the ball is and who has it it.

Perspective.

It’s going to be hard, but it’s not sh*t. I come back to it again. The fans have a big role to play in determining how shit it becomes. We need the new mentality of Holloway’s first couple of years in charge.
Today's showing on 01:11 - Aug 27 with 2237 viewsdixiedean

Today's showing on 00:45 - Aug 27 by Southamptonfan

Southampton fan in peace. Realised that my account with the Saints forum works on here too 🤔. QPR won't go down as has been suggested. It was tough game for us today. You hit the bar, disallowed goal, Bazunu made a great save, all at 1 each. The big guy up front seemed like a real handful and you attacked with heart and character. Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth were "easier" games for us. None of us Saints fans were at all comfortable at 2 1 and were whistling for the final whistle. Could easily have been a draw. QPR will be fine. Good luck for the rest of the season.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2023 0:47]

Thanks Saint . Nice to hear from you and good luck for the season. Despite all the sales you still have enough quality players to be in the mix for promotion ( although I do love the away trip to St Mary’s!)
Today's showing on 03:31 - Aug 27 with 2138 viewsPunteR

Today's showing on 17:46 - Aug 26 by Antti_Heinola

Great sentiment and we should all be getting behind them, but worth noting we had only 3 first teamers not in the squad today (Dykes, Willock and Dunne). This squad has lots to like, but I fear it is way, way too thin to stand much of a chance in staying up. The fact we just lost two while playing well is more of a bad sign than a good one for me.

Yep , this.
We are heavily in the shit.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Today's showing on 07:14 - Aug 27 with 2011 viewsBlackCrowe

Today's showing on 22:54 - Aug 26 by CateLeBonR

You use the word "need" a couple of times. Do you think we can't survive in the Championship playing like this? Or are you talking about succeeding at this level?

Staying up.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Today's showing on 08:05 - Aug 27 with 1934 viewsQPROslo

Today's showing on 22:50 - Aug 26 by Rangersw12

Thought Kakay was decent aswell

I thought Kakay looked very good going forward, his break out of central defence going through/past 3 Soton players before setting up Armstrong was exceptional and he bulldozed his way into their box and played good passes in addition. He did some good work at the back too but he was well beaten for their 2nd goal and probably should have done better for the 1st.
Today's showing on 08:35 - Aug 27 with 1866 viewsBlue_Castello

Today's showing on 01:05 - Aug 27 by Hunterhoop

We’ve been beaten out of sight in one game. Since then there have been broadly 3 even games of which we’ve won one and lost two. Of these 4, 3 have been away and two against teams with vastly high budgets.

They are the tangibles.

The intangibles are that this group seem to care more and are trying harder. We’re playing a new system which is quite nuances depending where on the pitch the ball is and who has it it.

Perspective.

It’s going to be hard, but it’s not sh*t. I come back to it again. The fans have a big role to play in determining how shit it becomes. We need the new mentality of Holloway’s first couple of years in charge.

With Hunter 100% we know it's not great because of all the obvious reasons but if we performed yesterday like we did against Ipswich then we are in with a shout of staying up and consolidating this season. The change in formation has given us the chance to play football with the current squad, in general it makes us more solid and difficult to score against.

By all reports we gave a good account of ourselves yesterday where we deserved a point even by some impartial observers reports, the chances of Adam Armstrong scoring yesterday were massive, he's an excellent striker in the Championship, just think if we had him yesterday we may have won.

The new signings have galvanised the squad, hopefully stopped the negative attitudes which prevailed last season, we are playing much better than last season and look like we can win games. As we all know the main weakness now is the depth/strength of the squad, we are hamstrung by the current FFP situation whether people believe it or not that overspend of £21.5 million is coming back to bite us where it hurts.
I would guess we are in a situation where if we are going to get any loans at all it will be close to the deadline when parent clubs will be prepared to lower their demands, ie not demanding a fee and only picking up a percentage of their wages, it's happened before, it's a possibility.

There were definitely a few moaning about the age of Ainsworths signings but so far they have proved exactly what was needed in the current situation, it was also heartening to read the Southampton fans views, we gave them a better game than Plymouth and Wednesday.
Today's showing on 09:13 - Aug 27 with 1728 viewsNorthantsHoop

Looking much better and pleased that Gareth has got a bit of his mojo back. If we can get Dykes fit, him and Armstrong are going to cause a lot of problems for defences. Both Cook and Fox have been the difference at the back in last 3 games and I think this has rubbed off on Kakay as well. Get Boro out of the way next week, tough game as they have had a bad start and with more home games after international break we can see if the green shoots of progress will develop further. To be honest feeling more positive than negative at the moment.
Today's showing on 09:32 - Aug 27 with 1675 viewsRangersw12

Today's showing on 01:05 - Aug 27 by Hunterhoop

They are the tangibles.

Perspective.

Don't know if you went yesterday but the fans were behind the team all game

As predicted if the players show they are up for the fight then the fans will respond .

In fact the fans have been excellent all season
Today's showing on 09:41 - Aug 27 with 1648 viewsdaveB

I do get some of the negativity in that we obviously lost again and it's been a long calendar year of getting beat most weeks. For all the hype I didn't think Southampton were that great and it was a bit of a missed opportunity, they'll be far better later in the season when the new players come in and they settle down, good signs for them that they are getting results still during this transition period. Although I find Russell Martins style of 50 sideways passes for the sake of it rather than a shot on goal a bit dull to watch.

I'm quite positive on us though and that comes from seeing us since the World Cup break and whatever the result I've walked away from almost every game thinking we were absolute dogshit today with a feeling of fury and desperation in my gut. The last 4 games despite losing 3 on the bounce I haven't felt that, the performances have been much better.

A lot more energy in the team and a clear game plan now with and without the ball which was missing last season.

I thought once we got level we looked a good side, played well on the break and should have gone ahead. That was the period of the game where we lost it imo, had to take one of those chances and get a lead as they were always going to dominate the ball as the game wore on

Even after going behind there was no dropping of heads, we kept going and had chances to get level, just a lack of quality in the final 3rd again and a bit if inexperience as well from a few. Duke Mckenna had a few chances to just move the ball quickly but took too many touches and lost it, Kolli caught in two minds at the end and messing up a good chance.

I'm not suggesting we're going to be up there this year, this is a bottom half team who will still do well to stay up but I can at least see what we're trying to do now and coming away from games thinking we've had a real go at that. We need results of course but after that horror show last season I can see a decent QPR team emerging here, even Dozzell was much improved yesterday.
Smyth again was very good down the right, obviously going to make mistakes defensively but offers so much going the other way. Armstrong good again and finished the 90 mins, Field and Colback both played well and impressed by Paal yesterday who was motm for me.

They need more up front and i'm not convinced at all by the goalkeeper but there is something to work with here. If they can somehow get Willock fit and interested or sold that will help but considering how I felt after Watford I'm a lot more hopeful for the rest of the season and now actually looking forward to games again.
Today's showing on 09:51 - Aug 27 with 1616 viewsDejR_vu

Three very winnable games coming up next. All three around us so none will be brimming with confidence. Middlesbrough won’t have expected to be where they are so are probably a bit at sea and, I suspect, the fans will get restless very quickly if ‘pre-season relegation favourites’ QPR turn up and take the lead. We need to get our noses in front in that one. Same for Sunderland.

If we’re going to play well and lose against the good sides, we have to take our opportunities against the poor ones. If we play well and lose against them we really are in deep doo-doo. If we can get 9 points, (1) it takes a lot of pressure off and (2) might even be a springboard for a half decent season. These next three games look, to me, like a fork in the road.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Today's showing on 10:20 - Aug 27 with 1549 viewsBurnleyhoop

Today's showing on 23:42 - Aug 26 by queensparker

Two games now where inexperienced players have missed absolute sitters that would have got us points. Kakay against Ipswich and Kolli who understandably bottled it in the last minute today when a simple volley would have meant an away end mayhem equaliser.

We seem have patches in games then long periods of nothing, but all in all was impressed by the effort and chances today. Can’t say the lads aren’t trying. And thank fk nobody has bought Chair. I don’t care how many signings him leaving would fund, without him we’d be toast
[Post edited 26 Aug 2023 23:43]

Disagree with the Kolli opportunity, the ball took a deflection as it came across and sat up too high to be volleyed. He did however, fluff his attempt to play it back into the six yard box.

Smyth had two far better opportunities, with the ball on the deck and on his stronger foot. He missed the target with both. As Warbs used to say, “ need to be more clinical”.

We are creating chances, which is more than could be said last season. The squad is wafer thin, but far more committed than last year and the additions of Colback. Cook, Smyth and even Fox have made a significant impact.

Injuries or lack thereof will ultimately define our season and whether we survive or not.
Today's showing on 10:49 - Aug 27 with 1463 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Today's showing on 09:51 - Aug 27 by DejR_vu

Three very winnable games coming up next. All three around us so none will be brimming with confidence. Middlesbrough won’t have expected to be where they are so are probably a bit at sea and, I suspect, the fans will get restless very quickly if ‘pre-season relegation favourites’ QPR turn up and take the lead. We need to get our noses in front in that one. Same for Sunderland.

If we’re going to play well and lose against the good sides, we have to take our opportunities against the poor ones. If we play well and lose against them we really are in deep doo-doo. If we can get 9 points, (1) it takes a lot of pressure off and (2) might even be a springboard for a half decent season. These next three games look, to me, like a fork in the road.

The Boro result is inevitable. We know this club - highly fancied promotion favourites without a win, playing like strangers and under pressure....why who's this trundling into town for their next game? Dieng will probably save a penalty too.

It's the two home games after the international break that are critical. Both clearly winnable but to win matches you need to score goals and not present the opposition with gifts.

Gareth's loss rate is now up to 66.6%.
Today's showing on 11:05 - Aug 27 with 1427 viewsSAPilgrim

I think other posters have nailed it that our goalscoring is our problem. As I see it there’s a number of factors influencing this;

1) what we’re relying on going forwards. Armstrong looks like a talent, no denying, but it’s too early to predict he’s going to get us a bunch of goals. Rayan Kolli had a presentable chance but due to youth/inexperience will naturally not turn chances into scores as often as other players. Willock has had a very off time for us for a long time. Dykes is a very good player but as a goalscorer good for about 1 in 4. Chair is good but not going to carry the team out of a hole by himself.

2) how we spread goals. Under Warburton our success didn’t come from having one 25 goal a season striker, it came from a creative, confident team where goals could come from anywhere. Think we had 6 different scorers in the first six games in 2021-22? A team where DMs, CBs can present a goal threat. That isn’t yet happening under Ainsworth, whether down to style of play of the confidence crisis.

3) the financial reality. Joel Piroe could solve our scoring woes but have we the spare £20m? Have we flip.

However I don’t think it’s all that bad. As posters have said the results now are a world apart from early Ainsworth, we’re a competitive team with a few issues. Armstrong (and to a lesser extent Kolli) could come good a few times and we’d all be over the moon. A loan striker may yet come in and fill a gap. And Ainsworth’s ability to reverse the confidence evaporation and fungus like culture of doomism will have effects as it already has.

So I’m not seriously worried at this moment. Too early to call us relegation candidates. Gab Sutton had us pegged as 19th preseason and said people would be surprised and I think that may prove inspired.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024