Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread 19:18 - Sep 8 with 32106 viewsToast_R

Been looking forward to this and I think this year will be a cracker. Ireland, France, Bokke and All Black stand out favourites, I've a suspicion Scotland may throw it open on that side of the draw by getting something out of Ireland or RSA.

Tonight though, what a cracker open with; Hosts France take on The All Blacks. I'm going for the All Blacks to silence the Parisienne crowd. Or they could get pumped. 🤔
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 14:48 - Sep 17 with 2000 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 14:36 - Sep 17 by PlanetHonneywood

Watching another one-sided training game (SA v Rom.) and aside of Japan beating the Sarfies, in 2015 and maybe Wales getting done by Western Samoa years back, I'm struggling to think of any surprises in the group stages, -unlike the footy WC, where there's always a few shocks in the group stages. Rugby WCs are largely dull until the knockout phase starts.

If rugby really wants to broaden itself, we need to see promotion and relegation in the 6N, thus allowing the likes of Romania, Portugal and Georgia to develop, and Japan and the South Sea Islands to play (and retain their talent) in the Rugby Championship.

No point watching the second half of this, no fame to it at all.

Strong post here its very dissapointing to see those one sided games and running up the scores against weaker teams just crush morale.
I lost this arguement when I complained about Ireland crushing Romania 82 points to 8 as someone more educated in the sport than me pointed out its all about the bonus points .
Beating the crap out of Tonga followed yesterday .
However like the posters above pointed out its down to serious business next week .
Ireland V South Africa wont be 82 to 8 I suspect either way
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 15:27 - Sep 17 with 1960 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 14:48 - Sep 17 by CLAREMAN1995

Strong post here its very dissapointing to see those one sided games and running up the scores against weaker teams just crush morale.
I lost this arguement when I complained about Ireland crushing Romania 82 points to 8 as someone more educated in the sport than me pointed out its all about the bonus points .
However like the posters above pointed out its down to serious business next week .

Indeed, glad England are in the other half of the draw!

However, these huge margin games are dull. Of course, we know why the 'bigger' nations don't want promotion/relegation and the South Sea Islanders improving for the same reasons football wants to keep the big, big: money!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 18:42 - Sep 17 with 1934 viewsPlanetHonneywood

And along came Fabulous Fiji......

Brilliant stuff, should have beaten Wales too.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 20:59 - Sep 17 with 1830 viewsted_hendrix

Poor game at the moment, on top of which for some reason we keep getting close up's looking up bloody fans bleeding noses every two minutes.

Keep the camera on the bastard pitch not In the crowd.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:50 - Sep 17 with 1739 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 20:59 - Sep 17 by ted_hendrix

Poor game at the moment, on top of which for some reason we keep getting close up's looking up bloody fans bleeding noses every two minutes.

Quite right Edward!

The only time you show the fans, is when the raw emotion of the moment is played out on their faces. Not when they've got stupid performing glasses or they're dressed like Freddie Mercury: annoying as fcuk!

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:58 - Sep 17 with 1733 viewsToast_R

Well I enjoyed it.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 09:19 - Sep 18 with 1598 viewsrobith

I told you England were crap
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 09:38 - Sep 18 with 1561 viewsRs_Holy

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 20:59 - Sep 17 by ted_hendrix

good point ... apart from when they did a close up of Princess Kate at the Argentina game ...
Login to get fewer ads

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 14:13 - Sep 19 with 1394 viewsmonners1969

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 18:42 - Sep 17 by PlanetHonneywood

And along came Fabulous Fiji......

Brilliant stuff, should have beaten Wales too.

That pool is so interesting - Georgia quite capable of beating Fiji on their day

Aus still capable of beating Wales....
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 14:30 - Sep 19 with 1379 viewsSimonJames

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 14:48 - Sep 17 by CLAREMAN1995

However, when South Africa announced they were making 14 changes to their starting line up to face Romania, they were accused by the Romanians of disrespecting them.
I occasionally played rugby against world class players, and I gladly accepted the one-sided beating in exchange for the learning experience.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 14:54 - Sep 19 with 1357 viewscpgerber

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 14:30 - Sep 19 by SimonJames

However, when South Africa announced they were making 14 changes to their starting line up to face Romania, they were accused by the Romanians of disrespecting them.
I occasionally played rugby against world class players, and I gladly accepted the one-sided beating in exchange for the learning experience.

Ultimately, South Africa is here to win the world cup, not to give Romanians exposure and learning experiences. And they will (and should!) do everything they can to achieve that, which in a physical sport like rugby, usually means resting top players when you think you can get by without them.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 19:46 - Sep 19 with 1258 viewsDamo1962

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 19:30 - Sep 8 by Paddyhoops

I fear for my lot Ireland. Tough group.
Like to see France win it but I fear South Africa will replace their monstrous forwards will be
Just get replaced with another monstrous pack every game and juggernaut their way to the title.

Think it's Ireland's to lose. Most over here seem to think so anyway. As an England supporter...it's nice to see the pressure of expectation on someone else for once 🙂
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 20:03 - Sep 19 with 1255 viewsToast_R

Japan beat Ireland and Scotland in last world cup. Fairly surprising. I fancy Fiji to make a semi final. Last two times SA have won the World Cup, they've had a pretty easy ride to the final so this year they're really going to have to earn their place.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 00:38 - Sep 20 with 1217 viewsbob566

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 19:46 - Sep 19 by Damo1962

Think it's Ireland's to lose. Most over here seem to think so anyway. As an England supporter...it's nice to see the pressure of expectation on someone else for once 🙂

The draw is mad. Are ireland, nz, south Africa and France all on one side. The best four all knocking each other out with awful English, Australian and Argentinan sides on the other.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 02:26 - Sep 20 with 1204 viewsSydneyRs

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 19:46 - Sep 19 by Damo1962

Would love to see Ireland win but they are really unfortunate to be in the tough side of the draw. Also, big back end of tournament game experience counts and Ireland don't have it.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 05:31 - Sep 20 with 1189 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 00:38 - Sep 20 by bob566

The draw is mad. Are ireland, nz, south Africa and France all on one side. The best four all knocking each other out with awful English, Australian and Argentinan sides on the other.

Yup, pointed to it early in the thread.

Go back to the last RWC, and having disposed of far better Australia and NZ sides, England looked cooked in the final. That won't be such a factor for the side that makes it to the final from England's half, compared to what reaches the final from the other half.

Apparently, the doppy sods who organised this RWC, did the draw for the groups three years ago, based on the then world rankings. Something they won't be doing again.

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 06:40 - Sep 20 with 1180 viewsKiwi76

Really hard to get too excited in pool play & then for NZ side of draw it’s all on QF and not much difference winning or coming second in group as Ireland or Sth Africa the opponents.
Ireland with better recent record against us and possibly favour SA despite the walloping they gave us at Twickenham. We stuffed them game prior and have decent record over past few years.
Would like to see new team win it so Ireland or France but tough road to get there
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 08:42 - Sep 20 with 1136 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 02:26 - Sep 20 by SydneyRs

Would love to see Ireland win but they are really unfortunate to be in the tough side of the draw. Also, big back end of tournament game experience counts and Ireland don't have it.

How much back end tournament experience did SA have in 2019? Or England in 2003?

Whereas 11/15 starting team for Ireland is the Leinster side that has made 3/5 last Heineken Cup finals (losing them in ever more comedic fashion admittedly)

I would actually argue that this cycle there's been huge player turnover and the only team with back end tournament experience is South Africa, New Zealand a bit but a lot of those players are looking their age

imo it's South Africa's to lose, but a lot hinges on Saturday. Both teams absolutely have NZ in their back pocket , and then you get a doss semi against one of the cloggers on the remedial side of the draw
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 08:48 - Sep 20 with 1132 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 05:31 - Sep 20 by PlanetHonneywood

Yup, pointed to it early in the thread.

Go back to the last RWC, and having disposed of far better Australia and NZ sides, England looked cooked in the final. That won't be such a factor for the side that makes it to the final from England's half, compared to what reaches the final from the other half.

Apparently, the doppy sods who organised this RWC, did the draw for the groups three years ago, based on the then world rankings. Something they won't be doing again.

I didn't think England looked cooked in the final - they arrogantly looked like they thought they'd already won having comfortably beaten New Zealand. They didn't reckon how much Rassie had whipped up a "mission from God" style fervour with the Boks.

And in their defence in the list of things you want to happen against South Africa, losing your starting tighthead after 3 minutes is probably at the very bottom. I actually would've given POTM to Dan Cole cos taking the Bok packs on for 77 minutes on your own was one of the bravest things I've seen on a rugby field
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 11:05 - Sep 20 with 1084 viewsMrSheen

Eddie Jones fan club...
https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/09/20/comment-eddie-must-be-axed-if-he-cant-beat
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 11:12 - Sep 20 with 1069 viewsSydneyRs

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 08:42 - Sep 20 by robith

How much back end tournament experience did SA have in 2019? Or England in 2003?

Whereas 11/15 starting team for Ireland is the Leinster side that has made 3/5 last Heineken Cup finals (losing them in ever more comedic fashion admittedly)

I would actually argue that this cycle there's been huge player turnover and the only team with back end tournament experience is South Africa, New Zealand a bit but a lot of those players are looking their age

imo it's South Africa's to lose, but a lot hinges on Saturday. Both teams absolutely have NZ in their back pocket , and then you get a doss semi against one of the cloggers on the remedial side of the draw

England's team in 2003 was vastly experienced and was nicknamed dad's army as a result. It showed too not only in the final but a couple of earlier games that were not easy (Wales being a notable one). They always stayed composed despite also being under constant and quite racist media attack here in Australia during the tournament.

England last time should have won having beaten a better side than SA in the semi final. They were either cooked or just failed to turn up.

It isn't everything but it counts. Heineken cup can't really be compared to the world cup where you can't come back next year. The draw is also a bit of a nightmare.

I really hope Ireland win it, but I've been disappointed too many times!
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 14:34 - Sep 20 with 1016 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 11:12 - Sep 20 by SydneyRs

England's team in 2003 was vastly experienced and was nicknamed dad's army as a result. It showed too not only in the final but a couple of earlier games that were not easy (Wales being a notable one). They always stayed composed despite also being under constant and quite racist media attack here in Australia during the tournament.

England last time should have won having beaten a better side than SA in the semi final. They were either cooked or just failed to turn up.

It isn't everything but it counts. Heineken cup can't really be compared to the world cup where you can't come back next year. The draw is also a bit of a nightmare.

I really hope Ireland win it, but I've been disappointed too many times!

Sorry I'm probably just taking it too seriously but you specifically said back end experience - no one on the 2003 team had been past the quarter, the back 3 was brand new for that cycle, and then you say Ireland's knock out experience at the top end of the club game is irrelevant? I'm also conscious that my online persona often comes across as very full on when I'm actually just chewing the cud, so please don't take my style personally, I just love debating rugby!

If you haven't, I suggest watching Chasing The Sun - what Rassie did with that SA team was unreal and he made them the best team in the world in 9 months. They just kept it to themselves until it mattered - playing weakened teams in the RC, practising The Move in their hotel so no one would see it, etc. Regularly left me in floods of tears too, some of it is very tough watching
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 21:53 - Sep 21 with 916 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Even when Namibia were 89-0 down, you felt they could come back.

Total nonsense!

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 23:27 - Sep 21 with 868 viewsToast_R

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 21:53 - Sep 21 by PlanetHonneywood

Even when Namibia were 89-0 down, you felt they could come back.

Total nonsense!

Why the hell were France 54-0 up and still playing most of their star players out there?
Du Pont took one in the face and came off with what could be a possible fractured cheek bone and then Ramos done his knee. Crazy.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 02:05 - Sep 22 with 840 viewsSydneyRs

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 14:34 - Sep 20 by robith

Sorry I'm probably just taking it too seriously but you specifically said back end experience - no one on the 2003 team had been past the quarter, the back 3 was brand new for that cycle, and then you say Ireland's knock out experience at the top end of the club game is irrelevant? I'm also conscious that my online persona often comes across as very full on when I'm actually just chewing the cud, so please don't take my style personally, I just love debating rugby!

If you haven't, I suggest watching Chasing The Sun - what Rassie did with that SA team was unreal and he made them the best team in the world in 9 months. They just kept it to themselves until it mattered - playing weakened teams in the RC, practising The Move in their hotel so no one would see it, etc. Regularly left me in floods of tears too, some of it is very tough watching

Perhaps that is England's cunning plan also. Fooling everyone into thinking they are not very good before storming to victory. Or perhaps not!

Will have to check that SA program out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024