Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread 19:18 - Sep 8 with 32100 viewsToast_R

Been looking forward to this and I think this year will be a cracker. Ireland, France, Bokke and All Black stand out favourites, I've a suspicion Scotland may throw it open on that side of the draw by getting something out of Ireland or RSA.

Tonight though, what a cracker open with; Hosts France take on The All Blacks. I'm going for the All Blacks to silence the Parisienne crowd. Or they could get pumped. 🤔
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 08:27 - Sep 24 with 2091 viewsrobith

South Africa left that game out there, but we got into a position with ten minutes to go where it simply became a "Are You Hard Enough?" Test, and we passed it. We looked very well coached for the Saffer game plan - didn't panic if we went backwards when carrying, committed more players to the ruck than usual.

Aki, Lowe, Doris, Van Der Flier all had huge games - but really a huge shout out to Peter O'Mahony. At the start of Faz's reign I thought he was done and with the new rules he was always getting reds. But he's totally adapted and the way he took over the lineout calling when it wasn't working yesterday was proper leadership. Seeing him conduct zombie at full time was magic darts.

Thought the ball had actually become playable when O'Keffe blew for the final turnover - but he should've blown well before that imo.

7/1 split backfired in the end, Le Roux on the bench and they win that test match. And the bomb squad got some good penalties, but we took them apart at the breakdown and Andrew Porter played 74 minutes taking them all on. Monster.

Tough to know how South Africa react to this. Lack of goalkicker has finally hurt them but replacing either Libbock or Willemse with Pollard or Le Roux massively blunts their attack. Their squad composition is hurting them. Not taking another fly half was silly, especially now they've not been able to properly replace Marx. I deeply respect Rassie but the whole using a light signal to tell the players what to do looks a bit silly when it's telling their reserve kicker to take wild punts from halfway
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 08:55 - Sep 24 with 2063 viewsPaddyhoops

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 08:27 - Sep 24 by robith

South Africa left that game out there, but we got into a position with ten minutes to go where it simply became a "Are You Hard Enough?" Test, and we passed it. We looked very well coached for the Saffer game plan - didn't panic if we went backwards when carrying, committed more players to the ruck than usual.

Aki, Lowe, Doris, Van Der Flier all had huge games - but really a huge shout out to Peter O'Mahony. At the start of Faz's reign I thought he was done and with the new rules he was always getting reds. But he's totally adapted and the way he took over the lineout calling when it wasn't working yesterday was proper leadership. Seeing him conduct zombie at full time was magic darts.

Thought the ball had actually become playable when O'Keffe blew for the final turnover - but he should've blown well before that imo.

7/1 split backfired in the end, Le Roux on the bench and they win that test match. And the bomb squad got some good penalties, but we took them apart at the breakdown and Andrew Porter played 74 minutes taking them all on. Monster.

Tough to know how South Africa react to this. Lack of goalkicker has finally hurt them but replacing either Libbock or Willemse with Pollard or Le Roux massively blunts their attack. Their squad composition is hurting them. Not taking another fly half was silly, especially now they've not been able to properly replace Marx. I deeply respect Rassie but the whole using a light signal to tell the players what to do looks a bit silly when it's telling their reserve kicker to take wild punts from halfway

35,000 Irish fans belting out the Cranberries, Zombie after the final whistle was mind blowing .
Superb performance. SA on another day might have nicked it but Ireland got the job done .
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 12:54 - Sep 24 with 1877 viewsdistortR

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 08:27 - Sep 24 by robith

As a neutral, real shame the ref blew up just as the ball came out - what a finale that would have been!
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 15:06 - Sep 24 with 1831 viewsSimonJames

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 12:54 - Sep 24 by distortR

As a neutral, real shame the ref blew up just as the ball came out - what a finale that would have been!

If England get through their QF against Fiji (or possibly Australia), then they will probably be facing France or the Boks in the semis. I can't see us beating either of those teams.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 15:50 - Sep 24 with 1814 viewsSnipper

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 15:06 - Sep 24 by SimonJames

If England get through their QF against Fiji (or possibly Australia), then they will probably be facing France or the Boks in the semis. I can't see us beating either of those teams.

More chance of QPR winning a home league game.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 16:30 - Sep 24 with 1773 viewsToast_R

I fancy England against France with no Dupont but I think England will face the Boks.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 20:19 - Sep 24 with 1704 viewsBlackCrowe

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 16:30 - Sep 24 by Toast_R

I fancy England against France with no Dupont but I think England will face the Boks.

I thought they were due to play the runners up of Wales group?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 20:34 - Sep 24 with 1685 viewsToast_R

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 20:19 - Sep 24 by BlackCrowe

I thought they were due to play the runners up of Wales group?

I'm arrogantly predicting the semi final. Of course, Wales or Australia look shakey as tonight but will still give England a good shift.
Login to get fewer ads

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 21:19 - Sep 24 with 1636 viewsBlackCrowe

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 20:34 - Sep 24 by Toast_R

I'm arrogantly predicting the semi final. Of course, Wales or Australia look shakey as tonight but will still give England a good shift.

Punchy.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 21:39 - Sep 24 with 1624 viewsderbyhoop

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 19:05 - Sep 23 by slmrstid

England wallop Chile like France wallopped Namibia. What is the point in having games like this in the World Cup? And these nations never get any better either in every four year cycle so its just an absolute gimme for all the tier 1 nations every time.

I was there and, after the 1st try, it was so one-sided it was borderline embarrassing.

I did read that Chile got thumped by Canada in qualifying for previous World Cup, but beat them this time around. So there is some improvement but the lesser nations need to play more games against Tier 1 sides. Trouble is they start with v limited number of clubs and players.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 21:47 - Sep 24 with 1588 viewsted_hendrix

They'll be after Eddie Jones now, gawd help him.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 21:53 - Sep 24 with 1573 viewsdistortR

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 21:47 - Sep 24 by ted_hendrix

They'll be after Eddie Jones now, gawd help him.

Never warmed to him as England manager, but what he's doing to Australia is admirable
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:00 - Sep 24 with 1554 viewsToast_R

Australia have fallen through the floor. Absolutely terrible and made a limited Welsh team look like contenders. What has happened to them?
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:01 - Sep 24 with 1547 viewsdistortR

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:00 - Sep 24 by Toast_R

Australia have fallen through the floor. Absolutely terrible and made a limited Welsh team look like contenders. What has happened to them?

Eddie Jones for a start, we still haven't recovered.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:03 - Sep 24 with 1545 viewsrobith

Australia almost beat Ireland and France away last year. They have some top notch players who've been left at home. Their attack coach quit before they left got France.

There's some systemic issues with union in Aus but this is all on Jones.

Fair play, Wales smoked them - though taking a drop goal when they didn't have the bonus point was feeble and could bite them
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:51 - Sep 24 with 1498 viewsNoelmc

Australia providing some unexpected competition to Sheffield United for worst sports performance of the day.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:55 - Sep 24 with 1481 viewsnumptydumpty

Australia are possibly providing one the worst performances of one of the big three southern hemisphere nations in the World Cup ever !!!

Be amazed if they qualify for the knockout stages now

So upsetting seeing the aussies struggle so awfully !!!

But yes astonishingly poor ..

[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 22:57]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 02:40 - Sep 25 with 1420 viewsSydneyRs

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:55 - Sep 24 by numptydumpty

Australia are possibly providing one the worst performances of one of the big three southern hemisphere nations in the World Cup ever !!!

Be amazed if they qualify for the knockout stages now

So upsetting seeing the aussies struggle so awfully !!!

But yes astonishingly poor ..

[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 22:57]

Absolute embarrassment for Australia. Losing to Wales is one thing but by that score? Maybe this will be enough to stop the Aus media constantly trying to tell us after each defeat that Australia are only a couple of tweaks away from being the best team in the world.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 10:14 - Sep 25 with 1326 viewsOldPedro

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:03 - Sep 24 by robith

Australia almost beat Ireland and France away last year. They have some top notch players who've been left at home. Their attack coach quit before they left got France.

There's some systemic issues with union in Aus but this is all on Jones.

Fair play, Wales smoked them - though taking a drop goal when they didn't have the bonus point was feeble and could bite them

A good performance from Wales - they knew that the important thing was to win the game - a bonus point wasn't important. Wales now assured a quarter-final spot. A win against Georgia means we top the group - even a defeat would mean we finish second.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 10:32 - Sep 25 with 1305 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 10:14 - Sep 25 by OldPedro

A good performance from Wales - they knew that the important thing was to win the game - a bonus point wasn't important. Wales now assured a quarter-final spot. A win against Georgia means we top the group - even a defeat would mean we finish second.

Yes, but the BP *could* be the difference between England or the absolute dross that's in the rest of that group and means it's done. Why leave it to chance when you've got them absolutely on toast? Ire, Fra, SA, NZ and even Scot all would've gone for the 5 points - even past ability there's a huge mentality gap between the top 5 and the rest at the moment

Edit: I miscounted, but my point remains - the top 5 teams would pile it on against that rabble
[Post edited 25 Sep 2023 10:56]
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 10:33 - Sep 25 with 1300 viewsrobith

Rewatched Ire vs SA and second time around reveals a noticeable subtext. I found it weird during the game how we rarely contested defensive line outs at all, but SA barely used their maul either. Since we could meet again in the final it felt like both teams were keeping some of their offensive and defensive cards in their hand
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 11:37 - Sep 25 with 1261 viewsOldPedro

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 10:32 - Sep 25 by robith

Yes, but the BP *could* be the difference between England or the absolute dross that's in the rest of that group and means it's done. Why leave it to chance when you've got them absolutely on toast? Ire, Fra, SA, NZ and even Scot all would've gone for the 5 points - even past ability there's a huge mentality gap between the top 5 and the rest at the moment

Edit: I miscounted, but my point remains - the top 5 teams would pile it on against that rabble
[Post edited 25 Sep 2023 10:56]

Agree that the top 4 countries probably would have got a bonus point but, Wales aren't in the top 4. The win was still the most important thing. and Wales have had plenty of narrow defeats to Australia in the last few years where we scored lots of tries but been beaten in the last 5 mins of the match

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 14:31 - Sep 25 with 1190 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 10:33 - Sep 25 by robith

Rewatched Ire vs SA and second time around reveals a noticeable subtext. I found it weird during the game how we rarely contested defensive line outs at all, but SA barely used their maul either. Since we could meet again in the final it felt like both teams were keeping some of their offensive and defensive cards in their hand

I think you might be on to something here robith because Ireland played that whole second half like they were trying to survive to the final whistle.
None of that free flowing excellent running that they are so good at just booting the ball away every chance they got .
Once SA got the ball they punished us without mercy so I would have thought Ireland would do the opposite .
A bit of a risk playing that game with an eye on meeting again there is some serious teams left out there .
SA missed so many kicks and Ireland missed none that is the difference .
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 10:41 - Oct 2 with 936 viewsderbyhoop

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 11:37 - Sep 25 by OldPedro

Agree that the top 4 countries probably would have got a bonus point but, Wales aren't in the top 4. The win was still the most important thing. and Wales have had plenty of narrow defeats to Australia in the last few years where we scored lots of tries but been beaten in the last 5 mins of the match

Was in Bordeaux for Fiji vs Georgia on SaSaturday. Many different nationalities all mixed in together. Pints of beer included. Great atmosphere, cracking match. A few too many mistakes to make it a classic, but, for me, the 2nd best game of the tournament. Georgia were out on their feet at HT, despite leading 9-0. I called a Fiji win., but they were shambolic at times. England should have no fear in QF.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 11:06 - Oct 2 with 912 viewsToast_R

I really enjoyed the RSA v Tonga game last night. Tonga managed to get three very good Trys past the big Saffa defence which is quite incredible really. The Tongan's absolutely gave everything and may have shown the rest that there are chinks in the South African armour if you don't go head on at them and try and stretch their back line. France will be all over that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024