Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thought's on this from Les 15:37 - Oct 13 with 15879 viewsHayesender

Les Ferdinand says director of football role criticism was because of colour - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67099065.app?fbclid=IwAR3a5uq2CHrkzlOu_U2O8

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Thought's on this from Les on 07:27 - Oct 14 with 2684 viewsdistortR

Thought's on this from Les on 19:58 - Oct 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

While I agree with him about that he should have stuck with the plan, we can’t be this shit in 2023 because of Johansen and Austin signing in 2021 surely!

Maybe there was never a plan?!
Thought's on this from Les on 08:37 - Oct 14 with 2551 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Thought's on this from Les on 22:28 - Oct 13 by PunteR

BS thread.
Usual suspects coming out to play. Probably out of boredom.

BS post.
Usual tactic of dismissing anything that goes against LFW groupthink. Probably out of sanctimony.
Thought's on this from Les on 08:58 - Oct 14 with 2556 viewsboysfromthebush

Thought's on this from Les on 04:43 - Oct 14 by numptydumpty

Awkward thread and some nasty responses.

Journalist headlines are generally often not what the story is about but they sensationalise one aspect of the piece so people read it.

Les is a decent hard working man who did a pretty decent job in often challenging circumstances.

We have stabilised in the championship and to be fair, that us QPR s level, we have had a few seasons where we have overachieved and a few where we have scraped by.

To be honest, it's fantastic that QPR have been leading the way with diversity in their employees and some have had great opportunities that they could not have got elsewhere even though their skills warranted this.

Look for instance what Sheffield Wednesday did to Darren Moore was released after getting them promotion and now they sacked his replacement. Tell me that's a decision not based with race ever so slightly tinging a very odd decision And karma has thrown that one back.

Les worked hard for our club. Some things he got right and some things he didn't.

He goes with my thanks and he was also honourable enough to know when it was time to go. Not everyone does that.

Ainsworth probably knows his time is up, but I doubt he will resign. But yes also i do agree with some that perhaps it would work if Ramsey moved on. And am saying that just purely based on the lack of players making the step up from youth being very limited. As Les knew himself it was time to give someone else a chance, be they black brown, yellow or pink with white spots !!!

Yes some feel need to be abusive for a variety of reasons, quite often it's based on the amount of money all staff at club get, players, administators, coaches, managers. But it's just the going rates for the football industry.

Les is and always will be a club legend.

And also he did the best he could for the club in a challenging role. He certainly wasn't just doing it for the money. We had some good years and he himself realised that it was time to step down.

Hopefully taking a well deserved rest.

The club has not appointed a new D o F and things not exactly gone well since.

He goes with my blessing and certainly many others I would hope.

Yes there will always be a few racists around but this club has proven with their appointments to be forward thinking giving opportunities to diverse backgrounds of people, some have worked, some haven't, obviously in a similar vein to many others that been employed and released.

But thankfully we not on the level of a Sheffield Wednesday sacking a manager who was a success and then almost instantly selecting someone who was clearly way worse. If anyone tells me that decision wasn't based on race then am all ears but there clearly is still a lot football in general has to do, to appoint people in managerial roles of different ethnicities.

We could do a lot worse than appoint Darren Moore than Ainsworth imo.

Les knew his time was up but I think a lot of people criticised more based on what exactly they felt were all Les did or didn't do.

My own view point a lot of criticism for the Do F role whoever us doing it, is tough because it has never been spelt out in everyday language what the role entails.

We just have never known the responsibilities that a D o F has.

Perhaps when a new one is appointed eventually it would help if this could be explained by a club statement.

That would make most sense to me.

Les got flak for every wrong doing in the club from some based on ignorance of his role more than the colour of his skin.

But yes there will be some that sadly there will always be a racist element to their words.

So maybe our esteemed leader on here, Mr Clive or any others in the know of the remit of a Director of Football and then the criticism or praise can be meted out.

For me, it seems what roles and responsibilities of a Director of Football has, can be very sketchy and incredibly variable and some clubs, its almost a completely different role than at others.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2023 4:49]

It shows just how far our standards have dropped if you think we’re ‘stabilised’. Les was a poor DOF who joined us when we were in the Prem and left us at the bottom of the Championship.

As for the Championship being our level, this is something I’ll never agree with.

We’re QPR ffs
[Post edited 14 Oct 2023 9:02]
Thought's on this from Les on 09:21 - Oct 14 with 2498 viewsNortholt_Rs

Thought's on this from Les on 20:43 - Oct 13 by Hoopsie

On an aside, JFH has said that the biggest regret the job he shouldn’t have taken up was QPR

I regret that too. But it is what it is…

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Thought's on this from Les on 09:51 - Oct 14 with 2415 viewsEsox_Lucius

Thought's on this from Les on 20:28 - Oct 13 by DejR_vu

On the "unqualified", surely you go and get some experience somewhere smaller and move up.

If Sainsbury's appointed their best Checkout supervisor to CEO or CFO, eyebrows would rightly be raised. Senior employees or Board members work their way up, do a good job, and get promoted. They do a job well, get a promotion, move to a smaller company in a more senior position, then move to a bigger company in a senior position.

LF went from some sort of coach at Tottenham to a very senior position, overseeing the core activity, at a Premier League club, seemingly because he was once a great striker. He should have started at a smaller club, lower down the leagues, or, heaven forbid, abroad, done a good job and the moved up. I accept it wasn't his fault that he was offered the job, but it was his fault that he hung around for years being bad at it.

Perhaps LF needs to take some responsibility and consider whether, perhaps, he was lucky to get the job in the first place, and lucky to keep it for as long as he did.

The least amount of research would unearth the fact that LF DID have qualifications to do the job. What he didn't have was experience in doing that job. NOBODY ever starts a new job with years of experience, it is making the mistakes and the on the job learning that develops a person in a role. He was following the model you espoused in your thread but the checkout analogy is disingenuous at least.

The grass is always greener.

Thought's on this from Les on 09:59 - Oct 14 with 2408 viewsChrisNW6

Thought's on this from Les on 08:58 - Oct 14 by boysfromthebush

It shows just how far our standards have dropped if you think we’re ‘stabilised’. Les was a poor DOF who joined us when we were in the Prem and left us at the bottom of the Championship.

As for the Championship being our level, this is something I’ll never agree with.

We’re QPR ffs

I think Les was brought in to restructure the club after life outside the Premier league. You can hardly blame him for relegation that season and the £50m+ we were spending on wages at the time.

Historically League one is probably our level and it's a better bench mark than kidding yourself we are a top flight club.
Thought's on this from Les on 10:15 - Oct 14 with 2365 viewsNed_Kennedys

Thought's on this from Les on 09:59 - Oct 14 by ChrisNW6

I think Les was brought in to restructure the club after life outside the Premier league. You can hardly blame him for relegation that season and the £50m+ we were spending on wages at the time.

Historically League one is probably our level and it's a better bench mark than kidding yourself we are a top flight club.

When you say ‘historically’ league one is our level you honestly think it’s relevant to go back 60+ years to when this was the case?

Realistically and relevantly the Championship is our level.
Thought's on this from Les on 10:35 - Oct 14 with 2327 viewsNortholt_Rs

Thought's on this from Les on 10:15 - Oct 14 by Ned_Kennedys

When you say ‘historically’ league one is our level you honestly think it’s relevant to go back 60+ years to when this was the case?

….but with aspirations otherwise what’s the point?

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Login to get fewer ads

Thought's on this from Les on 10:50 - Oct 14 with 2308 viewsChrisNW6

Thought's on this from Les on 10:15 - Oct 14 by Ned_Kennedys

Agreed, think my lifetime split is around 55/40/5 in favour of time spent in the Championship.
Thought's on this from Les on 13:05 - Oct 14 with 2187 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Thought's on this from Les on 09:51 - Oct 14 by Esox_Lucius

The least amount of research would unearth the fact that LF DID have qualifications to do the job. What he didn't have was experience in doing that job. NOBODY ever starts a new job with years of experience, it is making the mistakes and the on the job learning that develops a person in a role. He was following the model you espoused in your thread but the checkout analogy is disingenuous at least.

How many people become Director of Football at a Premier League club with zero experience doing that role? Look forward to seeing the results of your research.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2023 13:08]
Thought's on this from Les on 13:28 - Oct 14 with 2186 viewsNorthernr

It’s a naughty headline. I’d expect a phone call if I headlined a piece like that because it distorts the quote.

That said, you didn’t have to go far into qpr social media to see stuff like that. Still don’t tbf.

Thought's on this from Les on 14:32 - Oct 14 with 2057 viewskensalriser

Thought's on this from Les on 13:28 - Oct 14 by Northernr

It’s a naughty headline. I’d expect a phone call if I headlined a piece like that because it distorts the quote.

That said, you didn’t have to go far into qpr social media to see stuff like that. Still don’t tbf.

Jeez, what a cess pit that place is.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Thought's on this from Les on 14:47 - Oct 14 with 2032 viewsfrancisbowles

Thought's on this from Les on 09:51 - Oct 14 by Esox_Lucius

Sorry Essox, fat fingers meant to upvote but accidentally hit down vote.
Thought's on this from Les on 15:13 - Oct 14 with 1987 viewsEsox_Lucius

Thought's on this from Les on 13:05 - Oct 14 by Wegerles_Stairs

How many people become Director of Football at a Premier League club with zero experience doing that role? Look forward to seeing the results of your research.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2023 13:08]

I give up, what's the answer?

Thought's on this from Les on 15:44 - Oct 14 with 1944 viewsboysfromthebush

Thought's on this from Les on 09:59 - Oct 14 by ChrisNW6

He also wasted the last of our parachute money on toss like Washington and Ngbaktoto
Thought's on this from Les on 15:50 - Oct 14 with 1930 viewsEsox_Lucius

Thought's on this from Les on 15:44 - Oct 14 by boysfromthebush

He also wasted the last of our parachute money on toss like Washington and Ngbaktoto

I am uncertain as to how long you have been following football, but I think you may be shocked to learn that not every transfer is a roaring success. Some of them them just don't work out for various reasons.
If you can crack the algorithm that guarantees every transfer is a winner you could become a very rich man.

Thought's on this from Les on 16:21 - Oct 14 with 1871 viewstraininvain

Thought's on this from Les on 13:28 - Oct 14 by Northernr

I know every club has a small minority but you have to wonder how Alan Hendrix copes going to watch a football club in one of the most ethnically diverse parts of the country with a squad of players from different parts of the world.

It’s hard enough following QPR anyway but spare a thought for Alan.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2023 16:21]
Thought's on this from Les on 17:10 - Oct 14 with 1805 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Thought's on this from Les on 16:21 - Oct 14 by traininvain

I know every club has a small minority but you have to wonder how Alan Hendrix copes going to watch a football club in one of the most ethnically diverse parts of the country with a squad of players from different parts of the world.

It’s hard enough following QPR anyway but spare a thought for Alan.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2023 16:21]

When I was a kid in the mid 80s, all the hooliganism and racism on the terraces, I never once heard anything racist at QPR and I never have 40 years later.
People like this Alan bloke are not what QPR are about or represent, he seems more aligned with the Chelscum.
Thought's on this from Les on 18:07 - Oct 14 with 1730 viewstoboboly

Unfortunately he didn't bring enough players through, didn't create a coherent ethos throughout the club and didn't continue to spend within the clubs means. Whether he had a say is neither here nor there, if he wasn't in charge of those elements he should have walked sooner and called it out, he didn't, was complicit and unfortunately had to leave.

Would always clap him if/when he returns for what he did on the pitch.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Thought's on this from Les on 18:10 - Oct 14 with 1716 viewsNorthernr

Thought's on this from Les on 17:10 - Oct 14 by Wilkinswatercarrier

When I was a kid in the mid 80s, all the hooliganism and racism on the terraces, I never once heard anything racist at QPR and I never have 40 years later.
People like this Alan bloke are not what QPR are about or represent, he seems more aligned with the Chelscum.

Which is why the word “some” is important in his quote.

Your experience reflects my own over the last 30 years.

But there is always a minority in any large group as you say. The Friday before the Burnley game last year Neil Critchley (the whitest man in the world and QPR’s 5th white manager in a row) was at Loftus Road signing his deal and doing his press shots - something both myself and WLS had been reporting as an inevitable done deal for a week. There was nevertheless still a lengthy thread on here about how Les was trying to create a situation whereby he could “crowbar Paul Hall into the job to further his agenda on black coaches”. That would definitely qualify as “SOME of the criticism” I reckon.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Thought's on this from Les on 19:34 - Oct 14 with 1567 viewsjoe90

On a broader point, the ethics of the football industry are so out of kilter with most normal peoples morals that it somewhat distorts the conversation.

If Les was talking about his experience in relation to almost any other workplace people would most likely be more sympathetic and understanding, however in football that’s just not the case.
Thought's on this from Les on 20:11 - Oct 14 with 1501 viewskensalriser

Thought's on this from Les on 17:10 - Oct 14 by Wilkinswatercarrier

I have.

In the 80s during a game v Liverpool someone in front of me was yelling racial abuse at John Barnes, seeming oblivious to the presence of several black QPR players (Ferdinand funnily enough, possibly also Parker and Maddix).

More recently (early 2000s probably) R block's rousing chorus of town full of p**** aimed at Luton.

2014ish some coked up absolute weapon screaming Africa and AIDS at Yaya Toure.

There might have been more, but those are the ones I can remember.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2023 20:13]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Thought's on this from Les on 23:07 - Oct 14 with 1353 viewsdaveB

Thought's on this from Les on 20:11 - Oct 14 by kensalriser

I have.

In the 80s during a game v Liverpool someone in front of me was yelling racial abuse at John Barnes, seeming oblivious to the presence of several black QPR players (Ferdinand funnily enough, possibly also Parker and Maddix).

More recently (early 2000s probably) R block's rousing chorus of town full of p**** aimed at Luton.

2014ish some coked up absolute weapon screaming Africa and AIDS at Yaya Toure.

There might have been more, but those are the ones I can remember.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2023 20:13]

The Didier Drogbas got aids song that was sung loudly every week by plenty of fans.

We have more than our fair share
Just look at the replies on twitter to the QPR post about celebrating black history month
Thought's on this from Les on 23:16 - Oct 14 with 1323 viewsPunteR

Thought's on this from Les on 08:37 - Oct 14 by Wegerles_Stairs

BS post.
Usual tactic of dismissing anything that goes against LFW groupthink. Probably out of sanctimony.

Yeh ?

I called this thread out as BS as its just gonna descend into the usual arguments we've had on here about racism at the club via Les Ferdinand, which to my mind deflects away from the actual issue that he wasn't very good.
Ive been pretty vocal on here criticising Les and its no way based on his skin colour.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Thought's on this from Les on 00:00 - Oct 15 with 1263 viewsnumptydumpty

Thought's on this from Les on 08:58 - Oct 14 by boysfromthebush

We’re QPR ffs

We can't compete with the money in the Premier league as it is today.

If we miraculously went up, we likely lose most games we play and 90% likely we would go straight back down

We were a regular top division side in the 70s 80s and 90s but had only 3 seasons at the top level since and only once did we avoid relegation and that was on the very last day.

So to say we are a top level outfit in the world of football as it is today is deluded, yes of course would love it if we could get there and stabilise but it's not going to happen

We more likely to get relegated than promoted this season and that's not being negative. It's just being in the real world.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024