Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? 22:29 - Oct 30 with 4820 viewsHoopsie

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 22:34 - Oct 30 with 4195 viewsHoopsie

I am actually happy about this

I think it is just what we need, someone outside the box

Survival or not, maybe we can begin to enjoy the football (the players too)

Let's get behind the new gaffer!

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 22:34 - Oct 30 with 4190 viewscolinallcars

I was initially disappointed at not getting Neil, but there has to come a time when he fails and it could well have been us.
At least we'll see a sea-change in playing style. We were becoming a laughing stock.
Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 22:43 - Oct 30 with 4108 viewsSydneyRs

I think we will at least look like there's a plan and that is progress. Maybe he can get the Willock/Chair thing going again.
Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 22:51 - Oct 30 with 4033 viewsHoopsie

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 22:34 - Oct 30 by colinallcars

I was initially disappointed at not getting Neil, but there has to come a time when he fails and it could well have been us.
At least we'll see a sea-change in playing style. We were becoming a laughing stock.

Same lingering thought, for Warnock you will guarantee we have to find 4 clubs worst than us, not just 3.

But who knows, we might be out of the abyss when Colin comes in for a rescue mission

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 22:55 - Oct 30 with 4009 viewsjoe90

I’ll be happy if he gets the team playing nice football and winning games. As it stands, based on decisions and the actions of the club I don’t have faith that this will work out.

That’s not to say I don’t think Cifuentes is good enough, it’s more that I don’t have faith in the players or club. Such a difficult situation to inherit.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 23:01]
Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 23:00 - Oct 30 with 3981 viewsStJude82

I would've gone with Warnock. Let's hope this is a masterstroke. I think most of us don't know who this is but he seems to have a good record.
Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 23:11 - Oct 30 with 3877 viewsHooping_Mad

Until we get some idea of formation and cheese preference, I'll hold fire.

Good luck to him, he is going to need it in good measure.

Edit: seen it suggested Warnock turned us down, what do we think if he did?
[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 23:19]

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 23:18 - Oct 30 with 3840 viewsconnell10

As I've said massive gamble by the bungle board, I'd have definitely gone for Warnock but good luck to the bloke

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Login to get fewer ads

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 23:18 - Oct 30 with 3833 viewsBluce_Ree

He seems legit.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 23:23 - Oct 30 with 3807 viewsnumptydumpty

Nothing to lose.

Think Warnock is unlikely be looking for employment now anyhow.

Left Huddersfield quickly and do we have the Taarabt figure here now. Zero guarantees, old school Neil would have worked but if this guy flops, more calls will ensue for the great man, no doubt.

Left field appointment and should be interesting if nothing else. Getting Dozell and Colback to turn into Xavi and Iniesta !! And Dykes into Suarez !!

It's trying something new, and let's see where we can go.

Literally, almost, the only way is up !!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 23:27 - Oct 30 with 3778 viewsSydneyRs

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 23:11 - Oct 30 by Hooping_Mad

Until we get some idea of formation and cheese preference, I'll hold fire.

Good luck to him, he is going to need it in good measure.

Edit: seen it suggested Warnock turned us down, what do we think if he did?
[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 23:19]

Would have been a money thing if he did I reckon. This seems like it had been coming though as you don't get someone moving from overseas overnight.
Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 11:11 - Oct 31 with 3254 viewsMonkey_Roots

I'm happy as it seems like the football (in theory) should be much better.

My concern is that we're so bereft of confidence and goals, that its an uphill battle, and this is a monumental first challenge in English football for him - so many hurdles.

The players may respond immediately to this type of coach - a positive appointment.

No signs of a DOF either... what manager wants etc...
Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 11:53 - Oct 31 with 3123 viewsmart_Goblin

It’s hard for anyone to know right now . Wanted a safe pair of hands rather than a risk but part of me is excited to see what happens.

Big worry is the ‘total football’ aspect which we really don’t have . More suited than Gazball for sure but still not enough passing quality for me.

One of the biggest problems is the keeper .
Alluding back to Clive’s point yesterday , Last few weeks Begovic has looked a bit of a shambles really. Firstly he is way too heavy . Yes he is a tall man but he can barely move .
On the ifollow feed from West Brom he set himself to take a goal kick and the camera zoomed right in to his feet and panned up his back . He had black and white pair of ‘everyday’ cotton socks on and then half way up his leg started this light pink ‘sock’, with a darker pink sock on top of that . Looked a state to be blunt and the captain should lead by example . His shorts were clearly too small for his huge posterior and when he took the goal kick they looked close to splitting .
At this level you need a sweeper keeper , which Dieng was good at. Up to last Saturday teams were playing balls into our channels and the ball would run into the wider parts of our own box and he didn’t come and Collect them or at least put the ball into touch . He actually did it once first half v Leicester which shocked me as I’d been ranting about it for weeks 😂.

My point being this new guy seems to rely on the keeper being able to play and maybe when we have the ball at the back he steps in to play , to push the players further up the pitch which most teams do but Begovic does not come and join in at all . He stays in his box instead of becoming an extra player .
I can see this being an issue immediately and who knows, you might see him look at other keepers if they are more competent with the ball their feet .
Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 11:54 - Oct 31 with 3116 viewsThGrimRanger

Possibly the right man at the wrong time. That said the Warnock appointment would have felt desperate / fire fighting so i think i'm happy. Plus why kill yet another QPR hero.

Will MC be able to get a tune out of what's now a squad that's low on confidence, not championship standard and a mixture of styles. Been said before I know but would Pep be confident in keeping this rabble up.

Highly likely we'll be having the same conversation in 15 games time when he's got a similar win/loss ratio to Critchley and Ainsworth.

TheGrimRanger

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 12:02 - Oct 31 with 3057 views08olesen

My apprehension is that I dont actually think this team is very good. Its all well and good saying we have a guy who likes possession and scoring goals..but when Albert Adomah is first choice Right Mid, Charlie Kelman starting striker, you aint going to score many.

I think Warnock would have been the safer pick until May and then bring in Marti if he is the man going forward.

I am nervous, very nervous...but unfair to tarnish Marti with that- its the squad that worries me.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 12:03]

Poll: Who will the other play off

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 12:14 - Oct 31 with 2980 viewsDejR_vu

Delighted we're going back to the 21st Century model, nervous about the timing, our predicament and the impact if it doesn't work. I think now was the time to take the safest, percentage option and make this sort of appointment at the end of a season when he has the window to sign some players and pre-season to implement everything. This is real seat of the pants stuff.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 12:20 - Oct 31 with 2947 viewsNorthernr

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 11:53 - Oct 31 by mart_Goblin

It’s hard for anyone to know right now . Wanted a safe pair of hands rather than a risk but part of me is excited to see what happens.

Big worry is the ‘total football’ aspect which we really don’t have . More suited than Gazball for sure but still not enough passing quality for me.

One of the biggest problems is the keeper .
Alluding back to Clive’s point yesterday , Last few weeks Begovic has looked a bit of a shambles really. Firstly he is way too heavy . Yes he is a tall man but he can barely move .
On the ifollow feed from West Brom he set himself to take a goal kick and the camera zoomed right in to his feet and panned up his back . He had black and white pair of ‘everyday’ cotton socks on and then half way up his leg started this light pink ‘sock’, with a darker pink sock on top of that . Looked a state to be blunt and the captain should lead by example . His shorts were clearly too small for his huge posterior and when he took the goal kick they looked close to splitting .
At this level you need a sweeper keeper , which Dieng was good at. Up to last Saturday teams were playing balls into our channels and the ball would run into the wider parts of our own box and he didn’t come and Collect them or at least put the ball into touch . He actually did it once first half v Leicester which shocked me as I’d been ranting about it for weeks 😂.

My point being this new guy seems to rely on the keeper being able to play and maybe when we have the ball at the back he steps in to play , to push the players further up the pitch which most teams do but Begovic does not come and join in at all . He stays in his box instead of becoming an extra player .
I can see this being an issue immediately and who knows, you might see him look at other keepers if they are more competent with the ball their feet .

Was having this discussion on WhatsAapp with Neil SI the other week about this.
If anybody can think of an example to contradict us then please voice it now but he said and I agreed...

Goalkeepers have a long history of being past their sell-by date whenever they take more than one-season out of first team football.

I’ll quickly reel off a number of examples off the top of my head. Jerzy Dudak, player of the year for Liverpool and then moved to Real Madrid, and I think, played like 4 times ever again.

Carlo Cudicini, player of the year at Chelsea, then ousted by Petr Cech and didn’t move on quickly enough and barely played again and was shit when he did.

Joe Hart and Shay Given, both player of the year keepers, dumped by City for a year and never returned to their previous levels when they eventually moved on. Our own Alex Smithies, ruined by similar bullshit.

So, do not sign a once first-team keeper who has been sat on the bench for the last 4 years, in under any circumstances, ever! Begovic looks so old and unsure of himself, and that’s because he’s well past his sell by date (as much as he was a once decent enough keeper. Pray for Aaron Ramsdale.
Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 12:44 - Oct 31 with 2868 viewsbaz_qpr

Just to be a smart arse - John Ruddy
Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 14:13 - Oct 31 with 2628 viewsBklynRanger

Overall I think it's really positive, but with some of the caveats mentioned above.

The ideal time to do it was straight after Blackburn - that obviously can't have been possible for a couple of different reasons. So it's going to be a hell of a lot of change to get into this bewildered, demoralised, occasionally psychotic squad at the pace needed to get us out of trouble.

Would love to know if the plan is for him also to stay and build even if we go down, but I suppose that's not the sort of thing to voice at this stage - though it could be come April/May.

Stating the obvious it's not going to be easy. Towards the end of Warbsball I remember being sick to death of watching us pass it endlessly back and forth across our own penalty box. Sounds like Martiball could be very similar, but by the end of Gareth's reign I was ready to back to that anyway.

There has to be a happy medium and maybe we can find it. Expect a few self inflicted howlers along the way but hopefully we'll have a lot more a clue in other parts of the pitch.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 14:13]
Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 14:28 - Oct 31 with 2588 viewsdm97

The Ainsworth experiment should put to bed any future pining for backs against the wall, old fashioned styles. Unless you’re punching way above your weight in a league you don’t have any business being in (Luton in prem, wycombe in champs) it doesn’t work, the game has moved on and so have fans. Like has been said a million times, 80s Wimbledon football only works if you’re winning.

He might keep us up, he might not. But we are far more likely to be a success long term with this sort than GA. The last 15 months have been a complete utter waste of time, and we’re now behind where we were when Warbs took over. I just pray we give him at least 18 months no matter the league we’re in. This constant churn does not breed success, financial or football
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 14:28]
Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 14:43 - Oct 31 with 2537 viewshubble

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 14:28 - Oct 31 by dm97

The Ainsworth experiment should put to bed any future pining for backs against the wall, old fashioned styles. Unless you’re punching way above your weight in a league you don’t have any business being in (Luton in prem, wycombe in champs) it doesn’t work, the game has moved on and so have fans. Like has been said a million times, 80s Wimbledon football only works if you’re winning.

He might keep us up, he might not. But we are far more likely to be a success long term with this sort than GA. The last 15 months have been a complete utter waste of time, and we’re now behind where we were when Warbs took over. I just pray we give him at least 18 months no matter the league we’re in. This constant churn does not breed success, financial or football

Bang on.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 15:18 - Oct 31 with 2446 viewspaulhoop2

Maybe Joe Walsh will be promoted Clive ?

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 15:29 - Oct 31 with 2410 viewsslmrstid

I'm happy, so long as we give him proper time to build a team and if it means we still go down this year but he rebuilds us properly in League One, so be it.

That said it is still early enough in the season to recover this current bad position.
Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 15:33 - Oct 31 with 2377 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 12:20 - Oct 31 by Northernr

Was having this discussion on WhatsAapp with Neil SI the other week about this.
If anybody can think of an example to contradict us then please voice it now but he said and I agreed...

Goalkeepers have a long history of being past their sell-by date whenever they take more than one-season out of first team football.

I’ll quickly reel off a number of examples off the top of my head. Jerzy Dudak, player of the year for Liverpool and then moved to Real Madrid, and I think, played like 4 times ever again.

Carlo Cudicini, player of the year at Chelsea, then ousted by Petr Cech and didn’t move on quickly enough and barely played again and was shit when he did.

Joe Hart and Shay Given, both player of the year keepers, dumped by City for a year and never returned to their previous levels when they eventually moved on. Our own Alex Smithies, ruined by similar bullshit.

So, do not sign a once first-team keeper who has been sat on the bench for the last 4 years, in under any circumstances, ever! Begovic looks so old and unsure of himself, and that’s because he’s well past his sell by date (as much as he was a once decent enough keeper. Pray for Aaron Ramsdale.

‘Goalkeepers have a long history of being past their sell-by date whenever they take more than one-season out of first team football’

Wasn’t Paddy Kenny banned for a year?
Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 15:38 - Oct 31 with 2353 viewsNorthernr

Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy? on 14:28 - Oct 31 by dm97

Agreed.

I think, all het up and angry after watching Sam Field play right wing at Middlesbrough, I put in his hiring piece that this idea of a 'qpr way' is a 'sanctimonious delusion' and we had a big debate on here about what exactly we meant by 'qpr way'. At the time I was quite up for a bit of no-nonsense defending, a few people attacking crosses and set pieces etc.

But you're right. It's 2023. And it's QPR. It's not 30 years ago, and we're not Wycombe. You can't play like that here. You have to at least try to be better. For the fans, and also for the sport as it is now.

Good post.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024