Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Spuds 20:51 - Nov 6 with 8709 viewsToast_R

Haven't seen an implosion quite like this since Mitrovich went all Schwarzenegger at Old Trafford in the Cup.

1 up, looking formidable and then suddenly chose violence.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 20:53]
Spuds on 09:40 - Nov 7 with 1893 viewsTheChef

Spuds on 09:36 - Nov 7 by Northernr

The biggest problem with that Newcastle goal is it took them four and a half minutes to get there. Might have been out, might not. Might have been a foul, might not. Might have been offside, might not. Five minutes later non-the wiser on any of it. Three days later people still can't decide.

Just go with the on field call and get the fck on with it.

"Clear and obvious" isn't that what they said?

Current version of VAR is just there to create endless media/social media BS.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Spuds on 09:43 - Nov 7 with 1876 viewsNorthernr

Spuds on 09:40 - Nov 7 by TheChef

"Clear and obvious" isn't that what they said?

Current version of VAR is just there to create endless media/social media BS.

I'd struggle to imagine how you could make it worse, even if you were trying to do so deliberately. Takes ages, looks amateur, comes up with wrong decisions.

The offsides last night were hilarious. Zooming in and out. Is it this guy? Zoom in, oh no we're too close, back out again. Oh no wait it's not him at all it's him over there. Zoom in. Zoom out. Reverse the camera angle. Repeat. LINES. THE LINES ARE HERE. Oh, what do you know, it's the fcking decision it obviously was to start with.
Spuds on 09:45 - Nov 7 with 1867 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I wish I'd have watched a stream now, the match report on the Beeb sounds mental.

If they'd been playing Wolves say I'd be laughing at them but because it was Chelsea I cant help but feeling disappointed in them.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Spuds on 09:52 - Nov 7 with 1840 viewsNorthernr

Spuds on 09:56 - Nov 7 with 1817 viewsParkRoyalR

Spuds on 09:43 - Nov 7 by Northernr

I'd struggle to imagine how you could make it worse, even if you were trying to do so deliberately. Takes ages, looks amateur, comes up with wrong decisions.

The offsides last night were hilarious. Zooming in and out. Is it this guy? Zoom in, oh no we're too close, back out again. Oh no wait it's not him at all it's him over there. Zoom in. Zoom out. Reverse the camera angle. Repeat. LINES. THE LINES ARE HERE. Oh, what do you know, it's the fcking decision it obviously was to start with.

Hate the new offside & handball rules, farcical,

Last night you had 4 Chelsea forwards standing in an offside position, waiting in the hope that their player who broke the line and received the ball stayed onside,

This allowed Jackson a 5 or 10 yard head start on Dier to attack the box and score the key goal, whilst not apparently interfering with play!

If more teams defend with a similar high line (like Spurs & Liverpool do), surely they have to change this?
Spuds on 10:05 - Nov 7 with 1783 viewsRs_Holy

Spuds on 23:49 - Nov 6 by Antti_Heinola

Love Ange.
Imagine if we'd had the imagination to appoint him after Warnock - probably could have done. He's dead right on VAR as well. Absolute ballache that it exists. Remember when all the pundits said 'all you'd need is to check the screen - 30 secs and that's it'. Christ. Hours and hours of standing around to see someone's armpit is offside.

100% this!... I watched the match yesterday and VAR almost made it unwatchable. A game with 5 goals, red cards, loads of great play, a penalty, amazing defending and goalkeeping, was made almost unwatchable because of a system that is simply not fit for purpose.
The complete balls up in the Spurs v Liverpool match has compounded it all as they are all paranoid about making another mistake.
I have been saying for ages 10, maybe 15 seconds is all they should get to come to a decision... if it takes longer than that, then they go with the refs decision and just live with it and let the game flow a bit... Thank Christ VAR is not in the Championship.
Spuds on 12:06 - Nov 7 with 1640 viewsJuzzie

The biggest problem with that Newcastle goal is it took them four and a half minutes to get there. Might have been out, might not. Might have been a foul, might not. Might have been offside, might not. Five minutes later non-the wiser on any of it. Three days later people still can't decide.

Problem was that it got to the point where people couldn't/wouldn't agree with the on field call which is why VAR was brought in but it's just got worse.

They need to ditch it, go back to how it was for a while until they can (if they can) come up with something that does actually work.
Spuds on 12:23 - Nov 7 with 1606 viewsKonk

Spuds on 09:56 - Nov 7 by ParkRoyalR

Hate the new offside & handball rules, farcical,

Last night you had 4 Chelsea forwards standing in an offside position, waiting in the hope that their player who broke the line and received the ball stayed onside,

This allowed Jackson a 5 or 10 yard head start on Dier to attack the box and score the key goal, whilst not apparently interfering with play!

If more teams defend with a similar high line (like Spurs & Liverpool do), surely they have to change this?

It’s a mad sport that tries to make its laws ever more complicated, to the point that a huge percentage of the people watching and playing the game don’t have a proper understanding of key rules.

Offside is a complete and utter mess, made worse by VAR (offside hands ffs) and we’ve got so stupid with handball that we have defenders running round with their arms tucking behind their backs.

It’s a load of sh it and it just makes the officials’ jobs even harder.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Login to get fewer ads

Spuds on 12:31 - Nov 7 with 1577 viewsAntti_Heinola

Spuds on 01:43 - Nov 7 by Hoopsie

Jackson’s hat-trick goals were score virtually in the same manner, an incisive pass from the right that cut through a static high spurs back line of 2 defenders at almost the centre circle, no chance the keeper.

Wonder why they did that high defending, 3 times punished, thought you would have parked the bus to salvage a draw 2 men down. Literally suicidal tactics, could have done a GA style back to wall defending here

His first goal smell of offside mind
[Post edited 7 Nov 2023 1:47]

Couldn't disagree more.
I thgought his tactics were fantastic - risky, but fantastic, and it very, very nearly worked. I'm so fed up of teams trying desperately not to lose. Give me this any day. Spurs fans applauded them off because it was a fantastic effort by those left on the pitch and Ange is a ray of light in a very dark game.

People on here saying Arsenal fans crying about conspiracies. They're right to. Newcastle and City will come out on every marginal VAR decision all season. Wonder why that might be.

Bare bones.

Spuds on 12:35 - Nov 7 with 1563 viewslondonscottish

Like the second goal that Scotland scored against Spain. At the time it seemed to be about obstruction. By the final whistle it had mysteriously changed to be an offside offence. Or it was the other way round.

Either way, all I can remember about the game now is that sodding decision and the random excuses being thrown out by anonymous bunker men.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Spuds on 12:48 - Nov 7 with 1510 viewsNorthernr

Spuds on 12:35 - Nov 7 by londonscottish

Like the second goal that Scotland scored against Spain. At the time it seemed to be about obstruction. By the final whistle it had mysteriously changed to be an offside offence. Or it was the other way round.

Either way, all I can remember about the game now is that sodding decision and the random excuses being thrown out by anonymous bunker men.

Either way, a joke decision. And absolutely not the sort of massive, obvious injustice we were told this was being brought in for.
Spuds on 12:54 - Nov 7 with 1484 viewsMaggsinho

Spuds on 12:48 - Nov 7 by Northernr

Either way, a joke decision. And absolutely not the sort of massive, obvious injustice we were told this was being brought in for.

I still think there should be a time limit on the VAR decision. 30 seconds to look at a replay and if you can't decide in that time it wasn't an obvious error and the on field decision stands.
Spuds on 12:57 - Nov 7 with 1477 viewsvanrrrr

And there lies my problem with VAR . Its whole aim is to bring order and precision and certainty to what is an imprecise sport. I think that is impossible, ( like the Goldblum character is Jurassic Park said - Football will find a way) or , at least in my view, desirable. I don’t go and watch for certainty and precision but rather emotion, immediacy, ups and downs

Like Ange said, you take the rough with the smooth and crack on, Football is Life
Etc.
Spuds on 13:20 - Nov 7 with 1404 viewsstowmarketrange

Spuds on 12:23 - Nov 7 by Konk

It’s a mad sport that tries to make its laws ever more complicated, to the point that a huge percentage of the people watching and playing the game don’t have a proper understanding of key rules.

Offside is a complete and utter mess, made worse by VAR (offside hands ffs) and we’ve got so stupid with handball that we have defenders running round with their arms tucking behind their backs.

It’s a load of sh it and it just makes the officials’ jobs even harder.

I’m a linesman for my daughter’s adult women’s football on a Sunday afternoon and the handball law is making the ref’s job a nightmare.We have about 20 shouts for handballs from both sides,sometimes they’re given and sometimes they’re not.
Most of the players at her level don’t seem to have any idea what’s offside and what’s not.That might be the same in adult mens amateur football,but I’ve not experienced running the line for them so I can only judge on what I see.

Where is pinnerpaul when you need him?I used to enjoy his insights from a refs point of view.
Spuds on 13:23 - Nov 7 with 1397 viewsCamberleyR

I read somewhere that on average a ref will make about 240 decisions a game and pre VAR they would average two incorrect decisions so 99.2% decisions were correct. They've introduced this absolute steaming pile of shit to try and improve the decision making by 0.8%. Madness.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Spuds on 13:38 - Nov 7 with 1343 viewsTheChef

Spuds on 13:20 - Nov 7 by stowmarketrange

I’m a linesman for my daughter’s adult women’s football on a Sunday afternoon and the handball law is making the ref’s job a nightmare.We have about 20 shouts for handballs from both sides,sometimes they’re given and sometimes they’re not.
Most of the players at her level don’t seem to have any idea what’s offside and what’s not.That might be the same in adult mens amateur football,but I’ve not experienced running the line for them so I can only judge on what I see.

Where is pinnerpaul when you need him?I used to enjoy his insights from a refs point of view.

Don't think PP posts anymore :(

Handball rule is now ludicrous, in the evening games I play if the ball smacks your hand from point blank range everyone now shouts handball. Even last night had a shot hit my elbow and someone called handball!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Spuds on 13:39 - Nov 7 with 1332 viewshubble

Spuds on 23:03 - Nov 6 by bosh67

I love the way Postecoglou talks. He's just about the most intelligent speaker I've ever seen in football. Even after what happened tonight.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2023 23:53]

He's good, but he's no Marti Cifuentes.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Spuds on 13:53 - Nov 7 with 1288 viewsstowmarketrange

Spuds on 13:38 - Nov 7 by TheChef

Don't think PP posts anymore :(

Handball rule is now ludicrous, in the evening games I play if the ball smacks your hand from point blank range everyone now shouts handball. Even last night had a shot hit my elbow and someone called handball!

That’s a shame.I hope he reconsiders his decision and comes back again.

The Suffolk women’s championship isn’t the most competitive league in world football,and there isn’t a lot of arguments,and I can only imagine how many handball shouts there are in mens football.Most players copy what they see from the professional teams every week on the tv,but everyone sees a handball differently and it’s the poor refs job to make the decision,but they haven’t been helped by the recent law changes.
Spuds on 14:08 - Nov 7 with 1257 viewsLazyFan

Spuds on 22:16 - Nov 6 by Watford_Ranger

Convinced that transfer was money laundering. He’s dreadful.

Spurs had a disallowed goal and two big chances at 1-2. Shame. Potentially no Maddison, Van der Ven or Romero for a while now

No, it was political.

This was the first big signing after The Russian left, so, of course, it had to be a Ukrainian on a massive long-term deal.

They had to pay over the odds as Arsenal wanted him, but they had to have him to try and show distance from Abramovic.

The excuse goes like this ...
"Look we are not Russian anymore, we just signed the world's most expensive Ukrainian for mega monies and on a mega-money deal, we are good, Chelscum, now."

See, politics.

zzzzzzzzzz

Spuds on 14:56 - Nov 7 with 1168 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Spuds on 13:53 - Nov 7 by stowmarketrange

That’s a shame.I hope he reconsiders his decision and comes back again.

The Suffolk women’s championship isn’t the most competitive league in world football,and there isn’t a lot of arguments,and I can only imagine how many handball shouts there are in mens football.Most players copy what they see from the professional teams every week on the tv,but everyone sees a handball differently and it’s the poor refs job to make the decision,but they haven’t been helped by the recent law changes.

Pinner Paul and Myke need to get back on board seeing as we are about to head off on this new adventure under Marti .
Maybe PP got overwhelmed with all the questions but its all good we have VAR now no more mistakes
Spuds on 15:55 - Nov 7 with 1057 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I'd like to see the game trial matches without the offside laws being applied.

In an instant you'd avoid all this VAR controversary and resulting hullaballooing.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Spuds on 16:00 - Nov 7 with 1044 viewsterryb

Spuds on 14:56 - Nov 7 by CLAREMAN1995

Pinner Paul and Myke need to get back on board seeing as we are about to head off on this new adventure under Marti .
Maybe PP got overwhelmed with all the questions but its all good we have VAR now no more mistakes

I'm almost sure that Paul thought that he had been strongly insulted, bordering on abuse.

IMO Myke disappeared because he was questioned on why he supported every Irish connection to the club to the detriment of all others!

I can't imagine that either will return.
Spuds on 16:37 - Nov 7 with 969 viewstraininvain

The biggest problem with it all is that you have state owned football clubs in the Premiership while our best refs (admittedly low bar) are being paid by the same owners to referee games in UAE, Saudi etc.

I’m not saying that it’s corrupt but the Premiership has inadvertently created this situation by allowing state ownership of football clubs.

Irrespective of whether it’s anything dodgy, it’s a massive conflict of interest and any time Newcastle or Man City benefit from a dubious decision (been a few recently) it’s naturally going to lead to some scepticism and anger as to what’s actually going on.
Spuds on 16:40 - Nov 7 with 953 viewsNorthernr

Spuds on 16:00 - Nov 7 by terryb

I'm almost sure that Paul thought that he had been strongly insulted, bordering on abuse.

IMO Myke disappeared because he was questioned on why he supported every Irish connection to the club to the detriment of all others!

I can't imagine that either will return.

Pinner I spoke to a week or so back just to check in, basically decided to take time away from the online football world, doesn't post on his ref forum any more either, but he's fine.

Myke has popped up with comments on some recent previews/match reports so is still lurking around. I think the final straw for him was when he said Dan Lambert's first column for us was "complete bolox" and I said he talked a bit of that himself. I stand by that remark - if I'm going to try and give a young journo a platform and an opportunity, and pay for that, and he's going to put the effort into an annotated 4000 words, and you're just going to write that off as "bolox" then I'm going to stick up for my guy,a nd you should be able to take a bit back. But that's water under the bridge now, hopefully.
Spuds on 16:41 - Nov 7 with 952 viewsNorthernr

Spuds on 16:37 - Nov 7 by traininvain

The biggest problem with it all is that you have state owned football clubs in the Premiership while our best refs (admittedly low bar) are being paid by the same owners to referee games in UAE, Saudi etc.

I’m not saying that it’s corrupt but the Premiership has inadvertently created this situation by allowing state ownership of football clubs.

Irrespective of whether it’s anything dodgy, it’s a massive conflict of interest and any time Newcastle or Man City benefit from a dubious decision (been a few recently) it’s naturally going to lead to some scepticism and anger as to what’s actually going on.

Agree.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024