Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players who won you over in the end 12:31 - Nov 10 with 8831 viewsPlanetHonneywood

1. Tony Sealy - did that lad try and never anything less than 100%. However, I thought he was rubbish until the 82/83 season when he came into his own.

2. Paul Furlong - thought resigning him really odd and yet in his second stint, one of the first names on the teamsheet.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Players who won you over in the end on 12:34 - Nov 10 with 5869 viewsNorthernr

Furlong's the big one in my life time. I remember getting dicked 3-0 at Notts County in the fortnight we lost to Vauxhall Motors and Cardiff etc and Furlong sarcastically clapped the away end at full time and people went for him, charging down the front, made Balogun at Wigan look like a tea party. By the end of the season he was storming through against Oldham for one of the best moments of our QPR supporting lives.
Players who won you over in the end on 12:46 - Nov 10 with 5807 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Norf’s covered Furlong, which is the big one of my generation.

Barbet was a massive fcking disaster when he arrived but left a hole when he left.
Players who won you over in the end on 12:46 - Nov 10 with 5803 viewshantssi

Players who won you over in the end on 12:34 - Nov 10 by Northernr

Furlong's the big one in my life time. I remember getting dicked 3-0 at Notts County in the fortnight we lost to Vauxhall Motors and Cardiff etc and Furlong sarcastically clapped the away end at full time and people went for him, charging down the front, made Balogun at Wigan look like a tea party. By the end of the season he was storming through against Oldham for one of the best moments of our QPR supporting lives.

Yep, Furlong for me as well.
I’d also add Wilkins to that list.
Players who won you over in the end on 12:50 - Nov 10 with 5773 viewsRs_Holy

Simon Barker… he was pony for his first season and a bit at Rangers.
Players who won you over in the end on 12:55 - Nov 10 with 5751 viewsSydneyRs

David Bardsley. Many might not realise he was a major target for the boo boys when he started with us. Now seen as one of our best ever defenders.

Martin Allen also got pelters early before becoming very popular.
Players who won you over in the end on 13:22 - Nov 10 with 5643 viewsSheffieldHoop

Zamora?

Actually I'll go with the more substantive Heider Helgusson - Signed in 2009, missed some sitters in his first few games, got bombed out on loan the next season.....comes back with Warnock in charge and we ended up winning the league while keeping Rob Hulse (Who didn't do much for us tbf but was a rated championship player at the time) out of the team.
Next season in the prem scored some big goals for us (Chelsea, Stoke)
Not sure anybody who witnessed bad missed chances at Sheff Wed and Palace saw that coming.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:24 - Nov 10 with 5619 viewsSheffieldHoop

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Players who won you over in the end on 13:25 - Nov 10 with 5645 viewsSK_hoops

Rob Dickie and Chris Willock. Two unique footballers who won me over, then lost me again. Seem to remember Dickie looking like like an accident waiting to happen when he first got here. Willock looked too lightweight.
Login to get fewer ads

Players who won you over in the end on 13:30 - Nov 10 with 5616 viewsNorthernr

Players who won you over in the end on 13:22 - Nov 10 by SheffieldHoop

Zamora?

Actually I'll go with the more substantive Heider Helgusson - Signed in 2009, missed some sitters in his first few games, got bombed out on loan the next season.....comes back with Warnock in charge and we ended up winning the league while keeping Rob Hulse (Who didn't do much for us tbf but was a rated championship player at the time) out of the team.
Next season in the prem scored some big goals for us (Chelsea, Stoke)
Not sure anybody who witnessed bad missed chances at Sheff Wed and Palace saw that coming.

Helguson's a good shout. Missed some ridiculous chances in those early games.
Absolutely nuts that he was out at Watford while we had Priskin and Bent up front on loan.
Players who won you over in the end on 13:38 - Nov 10 with 5587 viewsTomS

I'm going with someone who never impressed me while he played for us, but proved me wrong later in his career. Rufus Brevett.

He left us to join Fulham who were in the Third Tier at the time. He held his place on the team throughout their journey as they overtook us in league standings to progress to the Premiership and then consolidated their position there. He then went on to play for West Ham in the Premiership too.

It demonstrated to me that players can improve at any stage of their career, and I'll be the first to congratulate him on doing so.
Players who won you over in the end on 13:43 - Nov 10 with 5569 viewsAntti_Heinola

Players who won you over in the end on 12:34 - Nov 10 by Northernr

Yep. Best example. I still feel guilty for screaming at him when he missed his pen v VM.
Bobby Zamora for sure too.
Barbet was hammered by fans for his first 15 months. Won me over earlier than a lot i think.

Bare bones.

Players who won you over in the end on 14:06 - Nov 10 with 5509 viewsNorthernr

I, perhaps controversially, still don't have much time for Zamora bar the Wembley goal. I know that's a bit 'what did the Roman's ever do for us' but fck it, it's a hill I'm happy to die on.
Players who won you over in the end on 14:17 - Nov 10 with 5465 viewsOakR

Furlong definitely one of them as mentioned.

I'm going to go for Les, I thought he was terrible when he started, went out on loan and the rest is history.

If my memory was better there would be a long list!

Poll: Will we stay up?

Players who won you over in the end on 14:20 - Nov 10 with 5440 viewscollegeranger

Karl Henry ....... only joking
Players who won you over in the end on 14:21 - Nov 10 with 5432 viewsPindarus

Mick Leach
Targeted by the boo boys for years but won everybody over in the end through sheer hard work and determination.
Players who won you over in the end on 14:26 - Nov 10 with 5415 viewskingsburyR

MOM on the telly Vs Liverpool don't ya know!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Players who won you over in the end on 14:31 - Nov 10 with 5408 viewsEsox_Lucius

Players who won you over in the end on 14:06 - Nov 10 by Northernr

I, perhaps controversially, still don't have much time for Zamora bar the Wembley goal. I know that's a bit 'what did the Roman's ever do for us' but fck it, it's a hill I'm happy to die on.

WBA away?

The grass is always greener.

Players who won you over in the end on 16:02 - Nov 10 with 5303 viewsNorthernr

Players who won you over in the end on 14:31 - Nov 10 by Esox_Lucius

WBA away?

Yeh it's a lovely goal. Got a really good one at Sunderland that year as well.
Earned north of £60k a week. Finished last. Effectively relegated by the end of February. I shan't be baking him a cake.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Players who won you over in the end on 16:10 - Nov 10 with 5279 viewsgolborne

Alan McDonald was atrocious in his first few games. Tbf seem to remember one of them was at RB away to Luton, and we were a bit spoilt for good defenders around then. 11 years since he died, where did that go
Players who won you over in the end on 16:24 - Nov 10 with 5222 viewsnumptydumpty

Wasn't a massive fan of Kenny Sansom or Ray Wilkins actually before they came to us

In fact i really had no time for Wilkins for a variety of slightly unjustified reasons, but both had moments - Sansom's goal that put us in the driving seat when we beat Arsenal two nil in the FA Cup - many many moments with Ray but enjoyed them both whilst they were here, albeit briefly in Kenny's case

Sansom remember watching from East Paddock and him attacking the loft behind Andy Sinton was great to see the link ups.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2023 16:26]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Players who won you over in the end on 16:26 - Nov 10 with 5206 viewsPlanetHonneywood

For the life of me I could not see what Gerry Francis saw in Peter Crouch when we signed him. Thought he was woeful and looked like we'd stuck a shirt on one of the floodlights.

If you'd have told me after those first few outings that he would turn out to be a good player for us; play in a European Cup Final; two World Cups; and marry an underwear model, I'd have thought you needed sectioning!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Players who won you over in the end on 16:29 - Nov 10 with 5195 viewsmart_Goblin

There were long periods when he was on loan that Adel was dreadful.
Players who won you over in the end on 16:47 - Nov 10 with 5144 viewsHAYESBOY

Clint Hill and Sean Derry. I thought at the time what the fck are we signing these two for?

Smells like a trout farm in here

Players who won you over in the end on 17:09 - Nov 10 with 5100 viewsterryb

This is only based on his first appearance, but if anyone had told me after his debut at Peterborough, that Danny Shitu would become a Rangers hero I'd have laughed at them!

That performance was close to Bob Malcolm's!
Players who won you over in the end on 18:37 - Nov 10 with 4934 viewsCiderwithRsie

Players who won you over in the end on 16:10 - Nov 10 by golborne

Alan McDonald was atrocious in his first few games. Tbf seem to remember one of them was at RB away to Luton, and we were a bit spoilt for good defenders around then. 11 years since he died, where did that go

That's a good shout.

I thought he had more than one game at RB, which obviously wasn't his strength.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024