Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era 15:55 - Jan 25 with 5094 viewsPblockrowB

As the January transfer window comes closer and closer to shutting for another year it makes you want to look back at the transfers we have brought in and wonder who was the worst transfer brought on under the stewardship of Sir Les as DoF.

For me there are two
1 Macaulay Bonne (allegedly 1mil plus from Charlton)
2 Taylor Richard (biggish loan fee and then 600k plus add ons)

Let me know whose your are?
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 16:13 - Jan 25 with 3588 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Austin, especially the permanent deal.

Went against everything we were doing well at the club.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 16:16 - Jan 25 with 3563 viewscalHoop

Great question, so many to choose from. For me, Conor Washington, spunking the Austin money pretty much in full for someone who'd just had a Stuart Wardley hot streak at Peterborough, was some doing.

Their chairman played a blinder
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 16:18 - Jan 25 with 3556 viewsBAWHoops

I'd argue his first raft of signings when we were flush with PL cash and invested it in players we neither developed or made a profit from

Luongo, Washington, Polter, Perch, Gladwin, Ingram, El Khayati, Tozser, Mackie, JET, Sylla, Wszolek, Borysiuk, Bidwell, Cousins, Lynch, Goss, Ngbakoto

All bought in and either released at the end of their contract or sold at a loss in the 2 years after our relegation.

We did manage to bring in and sell on Smithies, Cherry and Freeman then who we turned a profit on... but it's a remarkably poor record

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 16:26 - Jan 25 with 3501 viewsToast_R

That centre back who was a liability and was always injured for Christmas, forget his name.
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 16:28 - Jan 25 with 3486 viewsSpongeParr

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 16:18 - Jan 25 by BAWHoops

I'd argue his first raft of signings when we were flush with PL cash and invested it in players we neither developed or made a profit from

Luongo, Washington, Polter, Perch, Gladwin, Ingram, El Khayati, Tozser, Mackie, JET, Sylla, Wszolek, Borysiuk, Bidwell, Cousins, Lynch, Goss, Ngbakoto

All bought in and either released at the end of their contract or sold at a loss in the 2 years after our relegation.

We did manage to bring in and sell on Smithies, Cherry and Freeman then who we turned a profit on... but it's a remarkably poor record

Some of those signings were unlucky

Cousins was player of the season. Ingram is doing well again now. Luongo is 2nd in the league.

The rest are shit though, agreed. Managers signed some as well (which proves how shit Les was)
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 17:00 - Jan 25 with 3370 viewsAntti_Heinola

We were never 'flush with PL cash'
Those players were all bought while trying to halve the playing budget. Some poor ones in there mind.
But take Pav out of your mouth now. ;)

Bare bones.

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 17:12 - Jan 25 with 3306 viewsRs_Holy

Christ!… where to start?… too many to narrow it down to one sadly.
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 17:32 - Jan 25 with 3233 viewsderbyhoop

What is the point if this thread?

Sir Les resigned 9 months ago. Why do we want to go over failings in the transfer markets from time long gone?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Login to get fewer ads

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 17:34 - Jan 25 with 3217 viewsnumptydumpty

Harsh on Mackie. Fantastic first spell. Wholehearted second spell.

Ingram should have been given more opportunities than he was allowed.

Sylla looked awful but his goals to game ratio would be a stand out if he was in this current squad.

Wsowlek also was decent

Luongo very harsh. A steady Eddie but definitely good enough
[Post edited 25 Jan 17:36]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 17:39 - Jan 25 with 3176 viewsnumptydumpty

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 16:26 - Jan 25 by Toast_R

That centre back who was a liability and was always injured for Christmas, forget his name.

Are you meaning Steven Caulker ??

Maybe he was not available at Christmas as.was.an alcoholic...

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 17:52 - Jan 25 with 3115 viewsPunteR

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 16:13 - Jan 25 by BrianMcCarthy

Austin, especially the permanent deal.

Went against everything we were doing well at the club.

Austin..? Really.?
I know his fitness wasn't up to scratch and his wage was probably way more than we should be paying but i don't think it was the worst signing ever. The bloke could score goals. We brought in Chris Martin the season after.
In terms of strikers we've had some bad ones. Washington has to be up there , Maculy Bonne. Polter, JET, Ravel Morrison. There's been some shockers. Considering its the position where Ferdinand plied his trade, he's not great at spotting a decent one.
In Ferdinand's defence , wasn't Austin more a Fernandes signing? I'm not saying he was a great success overall when he signed that two year deal, he defo tailed off for whatever reason but initially i thought he was good. Dykes seem to do better with him around.
For me he hasn't been the worst.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 17:55 - Jan 25 with 3105 viewsytt28

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 17:39 - Jan 25 by numptydumpty

Are you meaning Steven Caulker ??

Maybe he was not available at Christmas as.was.an alcoholic...

His name is Joel Lynch
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 18:04 - Jan 25 with 3059 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 16:26 - Jan 25 by Toast_R

Could you narrow it down a bit more? That query returns more than 10,000 results.
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 18:13 - Jan 25 with 3015 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 17:52 - Jan 25 by PunteR

Austin..? Really.?
I know his fitness wasn't up to scratch and his wage was probably way more than we should be paying but i don't think it was the worst signing ever. The bloke could score goals. We brought in Chris Martin the season after.
In terms of strikers we've had some bad ones. Washington has to be up there , Maculy Bonne. Polter, JET, Ravel Morrison. There's been some shockers. Considering its the position where Ferdinand plied his trade, he's not great at spotting a decent one.
In Ferdinand's defence , wasn't Austin more a Fernandes signing? I'm not saying he was a great success overall when he signed that two year deal, he defo tailed off for whatever reason but initially i thought he was good. Dykes seem to do better with him around.

Ya, Austin imo.

Not the worst player, but the worst signing. It showed a division in the club as regards planning and thinking. We were a development club and then we signed an overweight centre-forward with a questionable attitude and no resale value and we were all left to wonder if the people hired to run the club were ever going to be allowed to actually do their job.

A real watershed moment, I thought.

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 18:26 - Jan 25 with 2985 viewsPunteR

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 18:13 - Jan 25 by BrianMcCarthy

Ya, Austin imo.

Not the worst player, but the worst signing. It showed a division in the club as regards planning and thinking. We were a development club and then we signed an overweight centre-forward with a questionable attitude and no resale value and we were all left to wonder if the people hired to run the club were ever going to be allowed to actually do their job.

A real watershed moment, I thought.

I guess, when you look at it like that. But we've signed a lot of aging players with no resale value over the years. Its good to have a mix of youth and experience.
But completely agree about the issue of having the owners undermining the DoF.

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 18:38 - Jan 25 with 2944 viewsHastings_Hoops

Lovely thread.
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 18:47 - Jan 25 with 2900 viewsngbqpr

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 17:32 - Jan 25 by derbyhoop

Sir Les resigned 9 months ago. Why do we want to go over failings in the transfer markets from time long gone?

Just beat me to it Derby.

Why?

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 18:47 - Jan 25 with 2899 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 18:26 - Jan 25 by PunteR

I guess, when you look at it like that. But we've signed a lot of aging players with no resale value over the years. Its good to have a mix of youth and experience.
But completely agree about the issue of having the owners undermining the DoF.

All true as well of course, my man.

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 19:41 - Jan 25 with 2735 viewsTheChef

Agreed on Bonne. A lot of money for a terrible player.

Now playing in League 2. Nuff said.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 20:17 - Jan 25 with 2648 viewsSuperhoops2808

I guess if we lose on Sunday we wont have to put up with these s**t threads...

Including the Most overrated and underrated players
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 20:29 - Jan 25 with 2616 viewsLazyFan

Richards.
At least Bonne scored some goals even if he was one Jaffa short of a full packet.
Even the Winter Leech played when it wasn't cold

Richards cannot even get in the squad let alone the bench or the team.

zzzzzzzzzz

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 20:38 - Jan 25 with 2566 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

‘Misery loves company’

Mephastophillis
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 20:39 - Jan 25 with 2563 viewsChrisNW6

Agreed totally pointless thread, as the remit was to consolidate Championship position and reduce wage bill year on year, which was met.

He's gone move on.
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 20:44 - Jan 25 with 2542 viewsPunteR

Just general chat, nothing deep.
We could flip it and do a thread about the best signings I suppose.

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 20:44 - Jan 25 with 2540 viewsdavman

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 17:52 - Jan 25 by PunteR

Austin..? Really.?

Austin WAS awful on his return. Chris Martin's contribution was infinitely more valuable that anything Austin produced post the loan spell.

Sylla and Polter nowhere near as bad as people make out; either would walk in to this team. Wsolek was great.

Bonne, Washington, JET, Gladwin, Lynch, Hamalainan (re-signed again and again and again), Kelly, Oscar Gobern, Sean Goss, Dillon Barnes, Jan Mlaker, Jeff Hendrick, Jeff Hendrick, Jeff Hendrick, Marco Ramkilde, Tyler and Taylor all contributed the square root of f-all.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024