Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era 15:55 - Jan 25 with 5266 viewsPblockrowB

As the January transfer window comes closer and closer to shutting for another year it makes you want to look back at the transfers we have brought in and wonder who was the worst transfer brought on under the stewardship of Sir Les as DoF.

For me there are two
1 Macaulay Bonne (allegedly 1mil plus from Charlton)
2 Taylor Richard (biggish loan fee and then 600k plus add ons)

Let me know whose your are?
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 20:46 - Jan 25 with 1453 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 20:44 - Jan 25 by PunteR

Just general chat, nothing deep.
We could flip it and do a thread about the best signings I suppose.

Agreed.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 20:46 - Jan 25 with 1453 viewsChrisNW6

Think that's been tried previously, was a short thread 😁 everyone remembers the bad ones.
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 20:51 - Jan 25 with 1431 viewsLoyalitat

None. Try all the leeches and mercenaries we signed that bled the club dry. All pre-dated Les Ferdinand's tenure and got us into such a parlous state in the first place. To the point that when we got relegated in 2013/14, the wage imbalance to actual turnover was over 190%.

Two of the worst: Barton and SWP were signed by "blameless" Warnock, who also signed Luke Young and Armand Traore on egregious wages too.
[Post edited 26 Jan 11:44]
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 20:54 - Jan 25 with 1422 viewsSuperhoops2808

Noooooooooooo
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 20:57 - Jan 25 with 1402 viewsPunteR

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 20:44 - Jan 25 by davman

Austin WAS awful on his return. Chris Martin's contribution was infinitely more valuable that anything Austin produced post the loan spell.

Sylla and Polter nowhere near as bad as people make out; either would walk in to this team. Wsolek was great.

Bonne, Washington, JET, Gladwin, Lynch, Hamalainan (re-signed again and again and again), Kelly, Oscar Gobern, Sean Goss, Dillon Barnes, Jan Mlaker, Jeff Hendrick, Jeff Hendrick, Jeff Hendrick, Marco Ramkilde, Tyler and Taylor all contributed the square root of f-all.

I thought Polter was a terrible footballer although got a few goals . Same as Sylla. Did we sell them at at a profit. ?
Yeh I thought Wsolek was decent. What happened to him ?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 21:32 - Jan 25 with 1313 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Among very stiff (and much) competition, it's got to be Taylor. From what Clive has been suggesting, our star signing rarely bothers to even turn up for training. Quite unbelievable he hasn't been sacked.

I dread to think of an 'all-star' XI of Les's worst buys. That would truly be a dark night of the soul.
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 23:03 - Jan 25 with 1218 viewsGroveR

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 16:26 - Jan 25 by Toast_R

That centre back who was a liability and was always injured for Christmas, forget his name.

That might be Joel Lynch. I must stress there's no relation between the often hapless, mostly error-prone and constantly-injured-in-December QPR defender and the Joel Lynch suite at the Burj al Arab Hotel in Dubai.

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 00:26 - Jan 26 with 1145 viewsozexile

Has to be Taylor Richards locking ourselves into a 4 year contract with someone who doesnt even like Football.
Login to get fewer ads

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 06:00 - Jan 26 with 1088 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Austin WAS awful on his return. Chris Martin's contribution was infinitely more valuable that anything Austin produced post the loan spell.

Sylla and Polter nowhere near as bad as people make out; either would walk in to this team. Wsolek was great.

Bonne, Washington, JET, Gladwin, Lynch, Hamalainan (re-signed again and again and again), Kelly, Oscar Gobern, Sean Goss, Dillon Barnes, Jan Mlaker, Jeff Hendrick, Jeff Hendrick, Jeff Hendrick, Marco Ramkilde, Tyler and Taylor all contributed the square root of f-all.

Totally agree on Sylla and Polter! Same for Wsolek, all would get into this team no problem(not saying a lot)but really think there underrated. Don't get me wrong I'm under no impression they were galacticos or anything but really not that bad! Sylla scored a good amount of goals for the time he was on the pitch.
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 08:01 - Jan 26 with 1046 viewsrbee

The re-signing of Niko Hämäläinen by a country mile.

Some good players mentioned on here. Luongo and Pav were both signed on good salaries, wanted to stay but we could not afford to offer them new deals. Can't complain about recruitment with these guys together with the likes of Smithies and Freeman.

It's more of an indictment of Fernandes poor running of the club and the impact of FFP. Seven, eight years ago we could sign the likes of Luongo and Pav but year on year we have had to set our sights lower and lower and take gambles on the likes of Bonne, Dykes and Richards hoping they would prove themselves.
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 08:44 - Jan 26 with 995 viewsstevec

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 18:13 - Jan 25 by BrianMcCarthy

Ya, Austin imo.

Not the worst player, but the worst signing. It showed a division in the club as regards planning and thinking. We were a development club and then we signed an overweight centre-forward with a questionable attitude and no resale value and we were all left to wonder if the people hired to run the club were ever going to be allowed to actually do their job.

A real watershed moment, I thought.

Can see your point but my hazy memory of when Austin was brought in was a team a couple of points above relegation at the half way stage and very much in danger of taking the drop to League One.

His arrival coincided with an upturn in fortunes that took us a few points outside the top six with a run of about 45 points from 23 games, a 2 points a game return that we hadn’t seen since, well, the last time he was here.

I believe that calendar year he arrived we amassed enough points to be 3rd place in the Division.

Undoubtedly his age caught up with him far quicker than expected and I dare say his wages were a significant part of the problem we face at present but for me Austin will always be one of the shining lights of the last 10 years, irrespective of his final year here.
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 08:55 - Jan 26 with 990 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 08:44 - Jan 26 by stevec

Can see your point but my hazy memory of when Austin was brought in was a team a couple of points above relegation at the half way stage and very much in danger of taking the drop to League One.

His arrival coincided with an upturn in fortunes that took us a few points outside the top six with a run of about 45 points from 23 games, a 2 points a game return that we hadn’t seen since, well, the last time he was here.

I believe that calendar year he arrived we amassed enough points to be 3rd place in the Division.

Undoubtedly his age caught up with him far quicker than expected and I dare say his wages were a significant part of the problem we face at present but for me Austin will always be one of the shining lights of the last 10 years, irrespective of his final year here.

It wasn’t his age. You can be 40 and still have a bit of fitness

I keep bringing it up here, but he couldn’t even walk to the tunnel on sixty minutes he has to leave via the closest byline. This was ten games into his return and he was puffing like a pub player after a night out.

He was also on Undr The Cosh where he was bragging about going to Ibiza without permission and switching his phone off so JFH couldn’t get hold of him ahead of a fixture. That was his first spell to be fair, but if Sandro or Bosingwa did that we’d be rightly furious.

His goals delivered us the Premiership but we didn’t need that kind of attitude the second time round.

A bad signing on his return, undoubtedly.
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 08:56 - Jan 26 with 985 viewsSuperhoop83

Even with Barnes, Gobern and Tyler in that list, my vote has to go to Marco Ramkilde.

Suffering since 1978.

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 09:19 - Jan 26 with 971 viewsEsox_Lucius

Oh for decent scapegoat right now. The fans demand it, and now!

The grass is always greener.

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 10:57 - Jan 26 with 912 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 09:19 - Jan 26 by Esox_Lucius

Oh for decent scapegoat right now. The fans demand it, and now!

QPR: First win in 9 games and the opportunity to climb out the bottom three! What a useful morale boost for the fans ahead of a critical game!

LfW: Why did your wife leave you and what’s your worst childhood memory?
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 11:44 - Jan 26 with 879 viewsLazyFan

Jeff Hendrick apparently cost us nothing, not even wages so, he cannot be up there. He did waste our time and someone's place in the team and then rubbed it in by scoring two goals for the fakes against us. Upside is at Sheff Wed, when he's played they only won one game, for which he was a 2 min sub for. Unfortunately, since he's not been in the squad they started winning, funny that. He may well have a second relegation on his CV by season's end!

Travelman we at least got some money back from his cost as he was loaned out so many times. So, Niko is not that bad, just no good for us as an actual player.

It has to be Richards, ÂŁ600K when we have no FFP room, and he's never in the squad. Cannot say it's the managers, as this manager is a class above the rest. It's gotta be the player. Even Caulker played 50 games for us with his mental struggles. Does anyone think Richards will play 50 games for us? He's in his second season with us and he's not even done 20 appearances!

zzzzzzzzzz

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 12:05 - Jan 26 with 841 viewsSpaceman_P

For me for sure!!! Bonne basically cos he was on pretty good wages and did nothing.

One signing I wish they didn't get rid of was Barbet, I liked that bloke.
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 13:25 - Jan 26 with 776 viewsPunteR

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 10:57 - Jan 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

QPR: First win in 9 games and the opportunity to climb out the bottom three! What a useful morale boost for the fans ahead of a critical game!

LfW: Why did your wife leave you and what’s your worst childhood memory?

I think some posters are under the illusion these threads have a significant impact on a football match on Sunday.
Football fans talk about the worst footballers that played at their football club on a football forum shocker.. !

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 15:24 - Jan 27 with 600 viewsloftupper

I think what makes Les's era so much harder to stomach is that prior to him coming in the club had always been so successful in the transfer market. Coupled with the incredible record the club had of producing players which is now tarnished, We all remember those days when it was like a bloody conveyor belt of never ending talent being produced, all thats gone now.
Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 16:03 - Jan 27 with 561 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Worst signing of the Sir Les DOf era on 08:55 - Jan 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

It wasn’t his age. You can be 40 and still have a bit of fitness

I keep bringing it up here, but he couldn’t even walk to the tunnel on sixty minutes he has to leave via the closest byline. This was ten games into his return and he was puffing like a pub player after a night out.

He was also on Undr The Cosh where he was bragging about going to Ibiza without permission and switching his phone off so JFH couldn’t get hold of him ahead of a fixture. That was his first spell to be fair, but if Sandro or Bosingwa did that we’d be rightly furious.

His goals delivered us the Premiership but we didn’t need that kind of attitude the second time round.

A bad signing on his return, undoubtedly.

Excellent signing on loan as he helped us stay up. Indictment of the people running things that they had to get him on loan as they hadn't replaced him since they sold him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024