Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Norwich Reflections. 17:52 - Feb 10 with 8912 viewsbluenwhite10

A really good entertaining game at HQ today v Norwich and probably in fairness a fair result and at the end of season we will see if it is a good point or not. The starting 11 and the bench for QPR was the strongest for us I have seen in a long time except for Field with the Transfer Window looking good for us with Hayden, Frey, Hodge, Anderson looking upgrades for Dozzell and Duke- McKenna although it will be interesting to see if Anderson, Frey can cope with the pace of the championship. The Colback finish to put us 1-0 was a good finish from a good break from Chair who seemed to go into traffic to find Willock instead of going the other way where the overload was on but it worked out alright. The Norwich equaliser and I guess Marti has got to stop believing his own words and understand we are struggling to defend corners come from a well worked Norwich corner which was a kick in the teeth to conceed. The goal to put Norwich was from a quality cross which made it easy to finish for Sargent. At 2-1 I could not see anything other than a Norwich win a couple of strange subs I could not get my head around taking Armstrong off when we where 2-1 as I think we needed a focal point of 2 and we was losing the threat of his pace. The goal to make it 2-2 came from a good ball in from Anderson and I am could be being unfair in saying did he mean it from Frey who I think could be a useful impact player. At 2-2 with Norwich having a lot possession without really creating anything but still being a threat due to them having a lot of the ball I could not understand the call to hook Hayden for Dykes as u thought it would expose us a bit. I thought a Willock, Smyth swap earlier in the 2nd half would of been a smart move. Ashley Barnes played the ref well today and is the sort of player you want on your side but when he is opposing side he is one of the things that is wrong with the modern game. The ref had a mad 10 mins at the Norwich try the break the record of free kicks given to one side. Lots of final thoughts even though they had lots of the ball we did not let them create much resulting in saves from Bergovic, the midfield is going to look stronger and more Physical with an axis of Hayden, Field and Colback , you can’t 90 mins out of Willlock and Rangers come back like Huddersfield when we thought they where dead showing some never give up attitude, more options on the bench. A special mention to the Norwich 23 Kenny McLean who I thought run the game today and we struggled to get near and stop him from dictating play. Some good performances today but my MOM was Jack Colback . Up the R’s
Norwich Reflections. on 17:56 - Feb 10 with 5118 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Think Field is on the bench now.
Norwich Reflections. on 18:01 - Feb 10 with 4988 viewsstainrods_elbow

Norwich Reflections. on 17:56 - Feb 10 by Wegerles_Stairs

What - at 6pm? He must be getting a bit cold and lonely.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Norwich Reflections. on 18:02 - Feb 10 with 4997 viewsAntti_Heinola

Good reflections, but i think Andersen and Frey proved that they can cope, although bigger question is about their fitness to last 90.
Armstrong after a battling first half did naff all second half, and was the right thing to take him off. The one i think marti regretted was Dykes, who came on and promptly gave it away 3 times leaving us in a dangerous situation, and he had to get EDB on for balance. Maybe EDB for Hayden would’ve been better, but in mitigation he was rightly chasing the win.
Overall, norwich are quite a bit better than us, they edged the game (you can tell they did because all our fans saying ‘draw about fair’ - a tell tale sign we all know it could easily have been a loss), so a battling point with some good play is a positive result in a positive performance.
Now take that momentum to Stoke.

Bare bones.

Norwich Reflections. on 18:09 - Feb 10 with 4910 viewsBklynRanger

The point was really important for morale as much as anything else I think, to keep the momentum going.

Huddersfield losing after being 2 up helps too.

2 points per game last 4 games. Stoke game is massive, or at least on the obese side.
Norwich Reflections. on 18:10 - Feb 10 with 4884 viewsbluenwhite10

My concerns on Anderson and Frey are in reference to ability to play a full 90 at championship pace.
Norwich Reflections. on 18:36 - Feb 10 with 4623 views100percent

Norwich Reflections. on 18:10 - Feb 10 by bluenwhite10

My concerns on Anderson and Frey are in reference to ability to play a full 90 at championship pace.

They don't need to. we now have the options of bringing on players that add value and can change games. Thought that although it was neither Willocks best game or Armstrong's, both played their part in causing issues. Armstrong did incredibly well against two experienced lumps of centre backs in Hanley and Gibson. Anderson looks a player and Frey got infront of his defender twice, one resulting in the goal - we've missed that all season.
That was a decent point against a good side that are in decent form.
Norwich Reflections. on 18:44 - Feb 10 with 4522 viewskensalriser

Entertaining game. Norwich clearly a cut above some of the rank teams we've faced in recent weeks and we matched them for much of the game.

Old habits led to our two conceded goals, I feel, failure to close down quickly enough and allowing too much space in dangerous areas. We looked a lot more positive after the subs.

We didn't have that relegation stink today, encouragingly.
[Post edited 10 Feb 18:45]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Norwich Reflections. on 18:46 - Feb 10 with 4477 viewsMrSheen

I was disappointed that Marti wasn’t able to set us up to stop them slicing through the middle all game. Hayden was a great improvement on the ball but wasn’t able to pick up players dropping into the pocket to keep the ball moving forward. Good result against a good side but we looked vulnerable all the way through.
Login to get fewer ads

Norwich Reflections. on 18:47 - Feb 10 with 4468 viewsPaddyhoops

A good performance and everyone of our new signings contributed.
Hodge and Hayden were excellent. Anderson and Frey did the business as well.
Shame about the goals both which were very preventable.
Finally what a pleasure to see an exciting half decent competitive game of football in front of a packed Loftus road.
I look forward to going there now unlike the absolute dross we were served up earlier in the season.
Norwich Reflections. on 18:51 - Feb 10 with 4410 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Norwich Reflections. on 17:56 - Feb 10 by Wegerles_Stairs

I wouldn't be so quick to write him off. With matches coming thick and fast, we'll need all hands to the pump in the coming weeks, a point highlighted by Dykes covering in midfield in the latter stages of today's match. Moreover, Colback will do well to avoid suspension before the next cut-off date.
[Post edited 10 Feb 18:55]
Norwich Reflections. on 18:52 - Feb 10 with 4408 viewsManinBlack

I am more concerned about our inability to win at home rather than whether players last the full 90. One win in 6 attempts at home in 2024 is not good enough to get out of the bottom 3 and if we can't put home wins on the board we will drop.

Half of my mates are Norwich fans so now I am condemned to more jibes in the week that we will never beat the Canaries. I am sick to death of our continuing failure to beat a side that lost 6-2 to Plymouth and I still haven't forgotten 1976. We will never amount to much if we are grateful for a home point against Norwich!
Norwich Reflections. on 19:02 - Feb 10 with 4308 viewsdutch

Norwich Reflections. on 18:52 - Feb 10 by ManinBlack

I am more concerned about our inability to win at home rather than whether players last the full 90. One win in 6 attempts at home in 2024 is not good enough to get out of the bottom 3 and if we can't put home wins on the board we will drop.

Half of my mates are Norwich fans so now I am condemned to more jibes in the week that we will never beat the Canaries. I am sick to death of our continuing failure to beat a side that lost 6-2 to Plymouth and I still haven't forgotten 1976. We will never amount to much if we are grateful for a home point against Norwich!

Unfortunately we are not the team we were in '76. (I was there by the way) We are a lower bottom half championship team and that was a good point against a team way above us. This sort of negativity is no help to anybody, we are an improving side from a terrible base line. Today we were pretty good and I'll take that. Don't give a jot about some inbreds from the fens or whatever their swamp is called. Good point.
Norwich Reflections. on 19:03 - Feb 10 with 4278 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Having gone in front, initially I had mixed feelings about today's result. Having then had time to reflect I'm reasonably satisfied with the point. Whether it'll turn out to be a good point remains to be seen.
Norwich Reflections. on 19:04 - Feb 10 with 4257 viewsBoston

Norwich Reflections. on 18:10 - Feb 10 by bluenwhite10

Why anyone would arrow down for a genuine question is beyond me. Every day that goes by has them getting up to speed though.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Norwich Reflections. on 19:11 - Feb 10 with 4204 viewsSuperhoops2808

I think Marti was balancing the subs with Wednesday in mind as that truly is now another 6 pointer. Win it, and regardless of anything else we are out the bottom 3

Deja vu with the Huddersfield game though
Norwich Reflections. on 19:13 - Feb 10 with 4198 viewsPaddyhoops

Norwich Reflections. on 18:52 - Feb 10 by ManinBlack

Disappointed we didn’t get the three points but if this game game had taken place a few months ago we would have clinging on for dear life to avoid a 4.0 drubbing and Being told we are grateful to be on the same pitch as Norwich in a post match press conference.
Baby steps but were a lot better side now with much better players.
I’ll take that for now.
Norwich Reflections. on 19:20 - Feb 10 with 4113 viewsAndybrat

Norwich Reflections. on 19:13 - Feb 10 by Paddyhoops

Disappointed we didn’t get the three points but if this game game had taken place a few months ago we would have clinging on for dear life to avoid a 4.0 drubbing and Being told we are grateful to be on the same pitch as Norwich in a post match press conference.
Baby steps but were a lot better side now with much better players.
I’ll take that for now.

Anderson looked great, different to anything we have, he will get the ball to do the work. Draw fair result
Norwich Reflections. on 19:36 - Feb 10 with 3989 viewsnix

Norwich Reflections. on 19:11 - Feb 10 by Superhoops2808

I think Marti was balancing the subs with Wednesday in mind as that truly is now another 6 pointer. Win it, and regardless of anything else we are out the bottom 3

Deja vu with the Huddersfield game though

I agree but I still would have brought Smyth on a bit earlier for Willock at 55 minutes. He looked shot and we needed to push them back a bit. You could just see it happening from around tbe 55th minute.

As for tbe ref he gave them 25 free kicks compared to our 11. TWENTY FIVE. When they were all over Armstrong and Willock and hardly anything. I can remember a couple of clear fouls from us but a lot of them just falling over. Infuriating as they are good at retaining possession and it means we keep having to get the ball back. Two matches in a row where a questionable free kick leads to an opposition goal from the resulting corner.
Norwich Reflections. on 19:45 - Feb 10 with 3925 viewsOldPedro

Norwich Reflections. on 19:36 - Feb 10 by nix

I agree but I still would have brought Smyth on a bit earlier for Willock at 55 minutes. He looked shot and we needed to push them back a bit. You could just see it happening from around tbe 55th minute.

As for tbe ref he gave them 25 free kicks compared to our 11. TWENTY FIVE. When they were all over Armstrong and Willock and hardly anything. I can remember a couple of clear fouls from us but a lot of them just falling over. Infuriating as they are good at retaining possession and it means we keep having to get the ball back. Two matches in a row where a questionable free kick leads to an opposition goal from the resulting corner.

Especially after we scored our 2nd, every challenge we made, the ref seemed to gave them a free kick and maybe 2 or 3 of them should have been freekicks to us. Frustrating!!

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Norwich Reflections. on 19:48 - Feb 10 with 3899 viewsLoyalitat

Norwich Reflections. on 18:47 - Feb 10 by Paddyhoops

A good performance and everyone of our new signings contributed.
Hodge and Hayden were excellent. Anderson and Frey did the business as well.
Shame about the goals both which were very preventable.
Finally what a pleasure to see an exciting half decent competitive game of football in front of a packed Loftus road.
I look forward to going there now unlike the absolute dross we were served up earlier in the season.

Totally agree PH. That was an excellent game of football and we played our part.

Hodge and Hayden made a difference in my opinion. Both of them only require two/three touches at most before moving the ball on and that makes such a difference. Hodge looks like a naturally two-footed player which is refreshing to see as well.

Admittedly, still a long way to go, but well done the R's and the MC for giving us hope again.
Norwich Reflections. on 19:50 - Feb 10 with 3868 viewsnix

Norwich Reflections. on 19:45 - Feb 10 by OldPedro

Especially after we scored our 2nd, every challenge we made, the ref seemed to gave them a free kick and maybe 2 or 3 of them should have been freekicks to us. Frustrating!!

It was weird as he was more even in the first half apart from a few he gave them in and around our box that looked like nothing challenges but after we equalised it was indeed farcical.

Marti seemed to think their second was offside. Any views?
Norwich Reflections. on 20:03 - Feb 10 with 3779 viewskarlski

Norwich Reflections. on 18:46 - Feb 10 by MrSheen

I was disappointed that Marti wasn’t able to set us up to stop them slicing through the middle all game. Hayden was a great improvement on the ball but wasn’t able to pick up players dropping into the pocket to keep the ball moving forward. Good result against a good side but we looked vulnerable all the way through.

I felt this way too - Norwich were very often able to find a player in space behind our midfield and in front of our defence. I think they're especially effective at doing this, but we didnt' seem to get wise to it or figure out a way to combat it. Maybe that's one of Field's specialties that we missed a bit.

Still, on chances created it was even.
Norwich Reflections. on 20:23 - Feb 10 with 3618 viewsFG_R

According to ‘SoccerStats’ I was surprised to see that our most recent form (last four games) is only bettered by Southampton, Leeds and Leicester.

Our actual form is:
Last four games: – 4th best in the Championship.
Last six games: – 10th best in the Championship.
Last eight games: - 16th best
Last ten games: 21st best
Last twelve games: 17th best
I think Marti has now been in charge for 19 games.
We definitely seem to be on an upward trajectory and so there might now be some cause for hope – especially after the January signings.

https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england2
Norwich Reflections. on 20:55 - Feb 10 with 3453 viewsbaz_qpr

I thought Hayden and Colback were excellent in midfield. I thought Norwich were very good looked a top 6 side to me but lacking up front. I said at half time they were certain to score.

I think Marti said the first goal was offside they had someone standing in an offside position right in front of Begovic when the shot was taken.

2nd goal Paal has to do more to stop the cross, and Cannon lost his man.

Both centre backs excellent again

Willock's best game for a while though should have scored 1st half. Smyth bar forcing that throw was very poor offensively and defensively when he replaced him.

Armstrong superb 1st half with great hold up and link play, less so 2nd half.

Hodge did well but defending set pieces it felt like we had a lot of shortys.

Frey is slow but good in the air and looks a clever player. Anderson's assist was sublime

Hayden MOTM for me
Norwich Reflections. on 20:56 - Feb 10 with 3451 viewsnix

Norwich Reflections. on 20:23 - Feb 10 by FG_R

According to ‘SoccerStats’ I was surprised to see that our most recent form (last four games) is only bettered by Southampton, Leeds and Leicester.

Our actual form is:
Last four games: – 4th best in the Championship.
Last six games: – 10th best in the Championship.
Last eight games: - 16th best
Last ten games: 21st best
Last twelve games: 17th best
I think Marti has now been in charge for 19 games.
We definitely seem to be on an upward trajectory and so there might now be some cause for hope – especially after the January signings.

https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england2

Thanks for this.

It’s interesting the rate at which we’re gaining on those around us in the last four matches:

8 points over Stoke
7 points over Rotherham and Millwall
5 points over Swansea
4 points over Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn and Birmingham
3 points over Bristol City and Huddersfield.

They won’t all do as badly as some of them have been doing and we’re not likely to be quite so successful either but at least now there’s some hope. AND we’re scoring some goals now!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024