Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everyone’s fav striker 22:08 - Feb 17 with 4355 viewswombat

Yep Lyndon dykes , thought he was superb today , won a shed load of headers some great lays offs , helped by chair being more central at time , yes he don’t score many but he is invaluable to us in that role .

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Everyone’s fav striker on 22:12 - Feb 17 with 3259 viewsParkRoyalR

An important cog in a much improved team display.
Everyone’s fav striker on 22:18 - Feb 17 with 3188 viewsFredManRave

Everyone’s fav striker on 22:12 - Feb 17 by ParkRoyalR

An important cog in a much improved team display.

I get all of it, but we need to improve the current striker cog with one that actually puts the ball in the back of the onion bag, from time to time.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Everyone’s fav striker on 22:21 - Feb 17 with 3145 viewsParkRoyalR

Everyone’s fav striker on 22:18 - Feb 17 by FredManRave

I get all of it, but we need to improve the current striker cog with one that actually puts the ball in the back of the onion bag, from time to time.

With Andersen in the team he may have a chance to prove he doesn't only turn up for Scotland.

Either way it will be goals from our 10's rather than our target man that will keep us up.
Everyone’s fav striker on 22:33 - Feb 17 with 3036 viewsBurnleyhoop

By my counting he won one header, I thought he was awful. Couldn’t hold onto the ball to save his life and lost almost every dual.

Even the brizzle commentator said we beat them with 10 men as Dykes contributed so little.

Personally I would rotate with Frey starting and Armstrong coming on for the last 20 to press the opposition centre halves.

Anderson, however, looks a cut above this level. Should be a superb addition when he is fully up to speed. Hodge also class, just lacks a bit of experience.
Everyone’s fav striker on 22:39 - Feb 17 with 2974 viewsParkRoyalR

Everyone’s fav striker on 22:33 - Feb 17 by Burnleyhoop

By my counting he won one header, I thought he was awful. Couldn’t hold onto the ball to save his life and lost almost every dual.

Even the brizzle commentator said we beat them with 10 men as Dykes contributed so little.

Personally I would rotate with Frey starting and Armstrong coming on for the last 20 to press the opposition centre halves.

Anderson, however, looks a cut above this level. Should be a superb addition when he is fully up to speed. Hodge also class, just lacks a bit of experience.

Frey starting? You allowed a Mobility Scooter on a football pitch these days?
Everyone’s fav striker on 22:42 - Feb 17 with 2944 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I didn't think he was great, tbh. I'd say that he won a handful of headers, and I do remember a couple of nice flicks and a lovely few touches by the right corner flag but i would say that he lost more challenges than he won. Overall a six rating sounds right, certainly no more.

Frey is very slow and our press fell apart after he came on again.

Neither striker had a shot.

A good day for Armstrong, I think.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Everyone’s fav striker on 22:49 - Feb 17 with 2854 viewsLoyalitat

Everyone’s fav striker on 22:39 - Feb 17 by ParkRoyalR

From the little I've seen of Frey, he has better movement, anticipation and positional sense in the penalty box than Lyndon.

If we were to stay up, he'll be scoring at a much better rate next season than Lyndon's current 1:7 for this season, I've no doubt. Fitness is the issue, but I'll look to rotate him with Dykes as he's more likely to score goals and we need our strikers to contribute to optimise our chances of staying up.
[Post edited 17 Feb 23:03]
Everyone’s fav striker on 22:53 - Feb 17 with 2818 viewsrbee

Lyndon was the better option today as the role needed a calmer more experienced head for the job required. As usual no complaints about his work rate and closing down but I look forward to the day when we no longer have these conversations.

Armstrong might be the better option next week but in all honesty I really don't know and trust Marti to make the correct decision.

Armstrong needs to go on loan to a Turkish club to further his career.
Login to get fewer ads

Everyone’s fav striker on 22:57 - Feb 17 with 2784 viewsqueensparker

I thought Dykes got better and better today, started off rusty and on his heels and losing his battles and giving it away and generally being the player that winds everyone up but as the game went on thought he was good.

We played a lot of fairly aimless long balls up to him today, he competed for every single one and gave Chair in particular a chance to pick up the scraps. And he contributed to some nice passing moves as we grew in confidence. He ran his arse off

He’s always going to be a limited player but for what he is he did well today
Everyone’s fav striker on 23:02 - Feb 17 with 2727 viewsnix

Everyone’s fav striker on 22:57 - Feb 17 by queensparker

I thought Dykes got better and better today, started off rusty and on his heels and losing his battles and giving it away and generally being the player that winds everyone up but as the game went on thought he was good.

We played a lot of fairly aimless long balls up to him today, he competed for every single one and gave Chair in particular a chance to pick up the scraps. And he contributed to some nice passing moves as we grew in confidence. He ran his arse off

He’s always going to be a limited player but for what he is he did well today

Yep! And Andersen gave him credit for drawing defenders in the box for our goal leaving space for a Chair to score.
Everyone’s fav striker on 23:02 - Feb 17 with 2725 viewsNed_Kennedys

Now that Dozzell has been fecked off its obvious that some are happy to have Dykes as their new scapegoat. A few on the match thread taking great pleasure from the Bristol Ciry commentators criticising him.

Most of those who have posted on here who were actually at the game seem to think he did ok: that’ll do for me. He’s here til at least the end of the season and will no doubt contribute positively to our relegation fight.
Everyone’s fav striker on 23:28 - Feb 17 with 2536 viewsQPRSteve

He's just to slow for my liking. How many attacking movement fail because he hasn't pace to reach them?
Everyone’s fav striker on 23:32 - Feb 17 with 2503 viewsLogman

I agree. Frey is a reasonable addition as we only had two strikers which is not workable but Armstrong and Dykes can do it if we keep faith and use them in the right way.
Everyone’s fav striker on 23:35 - Feb 17 with 2480 viewsaston_hoop

He was fine, nothing more, I'm not his biggest critic so don't mind him. I thought Andersen was the difference a lot of the time. An extra technical player in the team who has the awareness and quality I thought really helped Chair and Willock, much more so than having Sincs or Smyth getting their head down and running into channels. Feel like they're never on the same wavelength as the rest of the attack, but Andersen mostly was

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Everyone’s fav striker on 23:46 - Feb 17 with 2421 viewsBurnleyhoop

Everyone’s fav striker on 22:39 - Feb 17 by ParkRoyalR

Win more headers than Dykes ever will. Score more goals than Dykes. Has more positional sense and awareness than Dykes ever will. You don’t need to run around a lot to score a goal. Remember Charlie Austin? Used to be a bricklayer and run like one.

Just what does Dykes actually do other than run around a bit. The guy is utterly clueless and has been for two seasons.
Everyone’s fav striker on 23:54 - Feb 17 with 2391 viewsBurnleyhoop

Everyone’s fav striker on 22:42 - Feb 17 by BrianMcCarthy

I didn't think he was great, tbh. I'd say that he won a handful of headers, and I do remember a couple of nice flicks and a lovely few touches by the right corner flag but i would say that he lost more challenges than he won. Overall a six rating sounds right, certainly no more.

Frey is very slow and our press fell apart after he came on again.

Neither striker had a shot.

A good day for Armstrong, I think.

It fell apart, Brian, for the same reason it did the last time he came on. We dropped deep protecting a lead and left him isolated up front on his own, trying to cover the entire back four.

Would be interesting to see more of him when we are in the ascendancy and slinging crosses in for him to attack, which he has shown he is capable of. Dykes and Armstrong never attack anything coming into the box. Always on their heels and is part of the reason Chair gets frustrated when looking for a target to aim at.
Everyone’s fav striker on 00:01 - Feb 18 with 2350 viewsBurnleyhoop

Everyone’s fav striker on 23:32 - Feb 17 by Logman

I agree. Frey is a reasonable addition as we only had two strikers which is not workable but Armstrong and Dykes can do it if we keep faith and use them in the right way.

Dykes and Armstrong haven’t been doing much in the way of scoring goals have they. Paal has scored more than the pair of them combined. Shocking return for our two main strikers and fundamentally why we have been in the shit for the last two seasons.
Everyone’s fav striker on 00:03 - Feb 18 with 2342 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Everyone’s fav striker on 23:54 - Feb 17 by Burnleyhoop

It fell apart, Brian, for the same reason it did the last time he came on. We dropped deep protecting a lead and left him isolated up front on his own, trying to cover the entire back four.

Would be interesting to see more of him when we are in the ascendancy and slinging crosses in for him to attack, which he has shown he is capable of. Dykes and Armstrong never attack anything coming into the box. Always on their heels and is part of the reason Chair gets frustrated when looking for a target to aim at.

Maybe. I thought it was a bit of both, or at least that the two are linked. If the press fails we have to fall back and block up midfield, which under Cifuentes we do in a low 4141.

I do think that Dykes is better in this part of the job, but I hope that Frey will be better at movement, positioning and finishing.

We'll need all three strikers at varying times, and in varying set-ups and styles.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Everyone’s fav striker on 00:05 - Feb 18 with 2317 viewsBlackCrowe

Love everything about Armstrong's rawness, pace, attitude. But at the moment he's a second half substitute marauder off the bench when needed.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Everyone’s fav striker on 00:24 - Feb 18 with 2233 viewsQuillPenRiot

I like Dykes as a person, and he gives his all. I even saw him win a header in Frey fashion, shows me he can learn. I think all of our players who’ve been with us for years haven’t had proper coaching. And all of them have showed progress since Cifuentes took over. Andersen, Frey and Hayden are also experienced savvy players, they’ll aid in the improvement of the others. I think they’ve already rubbed off in terms of competitive mentality
Everyone’s fav striker on 01:17 - Feb 18 with 2100 viewsjohncharles

Everyone’s fav striker on 22:49 - Feb 17 by Loyalitat

From the little I've seen of Frey, he has better movement, anticipation and positional sense in the penalty box than Lyndon.

If we were to stay up, he'll be scoring at a much better rate next season than Lyndon's current 1:7 for this season, I've no doubt. Fitness is the issue, but I'll look to rotate him with Dykes as he's more likely to score goals and we need our strikers to contribute to optimise our chances of staying up.
[Post edited 17 Feb 23:03]

You say fitness is an issue. Lyndon does 90minutes 3 times a week

Strong and stable my arse.

Everyone’s fav striker on 05:16 - Feb 18 with 1908 viewsnix

Part of our problem before the new guys came in was we were a bit predictable so teams could set up to counter Armstrong and Dykes playing together by just slightly fouling Armstrong knowing refs don’t usually give him the rub of the green. Then you double up on Chair and Willock whenever they have the ball, snuffing out our creative threat. It was dead easy to set up against us.

With the new guys there’s a bit more variety. Andersen can create things as well as Chair, Willock and Hodge. Not such a simple game plan to counter us.

I agree that Frey was isolated a bit at times and that’s not his game. But when he has players around him he looked dangerous every time we attacked. I think he and Andersen read the game well. They look up every time the ball is coming towards them deciding what pass they’re going to make. Frey sets himself in the box so it’s really hard to just push him over. I also like the runs he does in the box, which get him ahead of the defender. Dykes and Armstrong too often just stand in a static position hoping the cross lands on their head. Frey from a very short observation tries to make himself available in a free area.

We needed Lyndon to start though yesterday because of his workload. He provided a lot of energy and did a lot of defensive work and won a few headers when we were under pressure or at least put some pressure on their players with the ball.

I’d love to see what Frey can do earlier in the match though when we’re putting more balls in the box.
Everyone’s fav striker on 06:49 - Feb 18 with 1796 viewsdmm

The match stats have Dykes winning 6 headers which was as much as anyone on the field of play.
Everyone’s fav striker on 08:02 - Feb 18 with 1575 viewsBurnleyhoop

Everyone’s fav striker on 23:02 - Feb 17 by Ned_Kennedys

Now that Dozzell has been fecked off its obvious that some are happy to have Dykes as their new scapegoat. A few on the match thread taking great pleasure from the Bristol Ciry commentators criticising him.

Most of those who have posted on here who were actually at the game seem to think he did ok: that’ll do for me. He’s here til at least the end of the season and will no doubt contribute positively to our relegation fight.

No scapegoating him Ned, we won the game!

But I say what I see and I didn’t see Dykes win a single header in the first half. Maybe a couple in the second half and that was it.

All our attacking threat came from Anderson, Chair and Willock. Dykes for me, was completely anonymous, apart from running in the wrong direction to apparently draw a defender away and make space for Chair. Not sure Anderson has a handle on Dykes game intelligence just yet. Maybe Chair could enlighten him..
Everyone’s fav striker on 08:14 - Feb 18 with 1513 viewsWatford_Ranger

Can’t say I saw much from him. Being kind he might be a striker other players like playing with as Heskey was. If we’d lost he’d largely be getting stick.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024