Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? 07:22 - Feb 18 with 5028 viewsBklynRanger

That for me yesterday was a yay. Not long term but thought he looked on his toes and determined.

Not so good when he tried to do the odd fancy thing up the line and couldn't, but those three consecutive block tackles near the end were beautiful.
Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 07:41 - Feb 18 with 3181 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Think it says that neither Kakay nor Drewe will be here come June.
Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 07:43 - Feb 18 with 3179 viewsThGrimRanger

yay from me - Cannon is obviously struggling with an injury

Dan Burn has proved that a big and not particularly quick big lump can do a very good job at full back. Plus he’s an extra big man to help with our ongoing corner issue.

TheGrimRanger

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 07:49 - Feb 18 with 3142 viewsHammersmithR

It’s an interesting debate because Pep often plays with 4 centre backs. Only full back who plays for them regularly is Walker. Otherwise the other 3 are always centre backs with the likes of Stones pushing into midfield on the attack. You can see Martí’s background is from the Barcelona way of playing.
Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 07:50 - Feb 18 with 3132 viewsnumptydumpty

He is a defender and puts in 💯 performances.

Very committed player and you know he always tries.

If you want him to add to the attacks a la wingback, Jimmy can't do that.

He can be clumsy so there is always the chance of the odd faux pas.

Not for me a number one choice at Right Back as today its often a role that needs to be a pseudo winger.

Seem to remember - unless my memory wrong - Fox played full back well also at season start...

Jimmy is a defender. He did his job. Well done to him.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 07:54 - Feb 18 with 3102 viewsdmm

Dunne did well yesterday but might have found it harder if Bell had stayed on. It may be horses for courses depending on the oppo's RM. Dunne would struggle against a quicker, more savvy opponent. Cannon should be managed carefully and used when needed.
Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 07:57 - Feb 18 with 3093 viewsHammersmithR

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 07:54 - Feb 18 by dmm

Dunne did well yesterday but might have found it harder if Bell had stayed on. It may be horses for courses depending on the oppo's RM. Dunne would struggle against a quicker, more savvy opponent. Cannon should be managed carefully and used when needed.

I think we might see Dunne playing in the away games when the home side put us more under the cosh. And then for home games we might see Cannon more when we have to be on the front foot. But I thought Cook and JCS were very good again yesterday.
Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 08:01 - Feb 18 with 3071 viewsdmm

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 07:57 - Feb 18 by HammersmithR

I think we might see Dunne playing in the away games when the home side put us more under the cosh. And then for home games we might see Cannon more when we have to be on the front foot. But I thought Cook and JCS were very good again yesterday.

Yup, good thought. We struggle most of all with our home form - worst in the league I think - and absolutely must put that right starting next Saturday.
Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 08:10 - Feb 18 with 3032 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I thought he did well, hopefully that boosts his confidence.

I'm not sure he'd cope with someone like Sesagnon (sp) but who knows; credit to him for stepping in and those 3 tackkles were brilliant.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 08:38 - Feb 18 with 2876 viewsstevec

Warnock 2010/11
Defenders who defend
Midfielders who midfield
Attackers who attack

It’s a simple game complicated by coaches all wanting to be the next big thing.

Wingers love wing backs because by and large they can’t tackle. Wing backs give you room, room to cross in your own sweet time, room to make the centre backs look clumsy.

Wingers don’t love full backs because they can tackle. Full backs don’t give you room to cross and if they do you’ll probably get kicked for your troubles. Centre backs like full backs because if the winger thinks he might get a kicking he won’t cross the ball very well.

And the bigger they are, the less goals you concede from corners.
Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 08:50 - Feb 18 with 2807 viewsDorse

Was thinking that yesterday: Dunne at RB made it 3 x centrebacks plus Dykes and Field for every defensive corner. We still looked scared shitless with every delivery but didn't concede so, you know, little wins and all that.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 09:13 - Feb 18 with 2732 viewspaulhoop2

With Kakay playing for the Dev Squad shows how far he’s fallen. Marti mustn’t rate Fox much when was the last time he featured ??

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 09:18 - Feb 18 with 2705 viewsDorse

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 09:13 - Feb 18 by paulhoop2

With Kakay playing for the Dev Squad shows how far he’s fallen. Marti mustn’t rate Fox much when was the last time he featured ??

With Fox it's a straightforward comparison: is he a better CB than Cook, JCS or Dunne? Is he a better LB than Paal or Larkeche? Effectively, he is a squad player and can definitely do a job but, right now, his role is to cover injuries from the bench.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 09:31 - Feb 18 with 2646 viewsBakes

I don’t think I’ll ever get the image of Dunne running through those 3 Bristol players and leaving 2 of them writhing around on the floor like decapitated worms out of my head.

Absolute headcase

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 09:37 - Feb 18 with 2595 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Was thinking the same with Field. Field in away games, Colback at home.
Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 09:50 - Feb 18 with 2536 viewsgazza1

Dunne is a committed excellent professional footballer.....which incidentally they all should be but sadly in this day and age it is not always the case.

Yesterday he played RB and did a good job, as good (or bad) as Cannon has been doing. You know what you are going to get with Dunne. Cannon is totally over rated by most posters, he is no better than ok(ish). I would suggest the Manager will pick Dunne next Saturday at RB. Is Dunne a RB, probably not(yet), can he get away with it in this division, probably could. Personally, I think Dunne is a good lad as I suggested in my first paragraph.

As for Kakay & Drewe, Drewe is not a Championship player, we saw that on numerous occasions last seson(I would think that he has got on because his attitude has been good). If he gets another contract we will be playing in the Division below the Championship. Kakay is a better RB than Drewe, the question is whether he is as good (or bad) as Cannon - the jury is out imho, they both have limitations.
Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 09:53 - Feb 18 with 2514 viewsgazza1

I cannot see that (Dunne away and Cannon home) happening whatsoever.......imagine playing brilliant at an away match and then being told you are not playing the next game at home. It will not happen.

Nor will the Field/Colback suggestion.
[Post edited 18 Feb 9:54]
Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? (n/t) on 10:17 - Feb 18 with 2435 views1JD

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 09:53 - Feb 18 by gazza1

I cannot see that (Dunne away and Cannon home) happening whatsoever.......imagine playing brilliant at an away match and then being told you are not playing the next game at home. It will not happen.

Nor will the Field/Colback suggestion.
[Post edited 18 Feb 9:54]

[Post edited 18 Feb 10:19]
Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 10:19 - Feb 18 with 2425 views1JD

Dunne played well after a shaky start. What you get in aerial addition, you lose in playing out. We missed Dunne out largely and Cook went long. That said he still had moments on the ball deep in our half, and against a higher pressing side - the Bristol press was not full on - it will likely be exposed.

Surprised they didn’t try and isolate him 1 on 1 more as he got roasted by Bell I think after on 10 minutes or so. They then switched Mehmeti to front him up second half to do exactly that, but our defensive shape was excellent and he rarely got the ball. A stop gap for me, against tricky, pacey, direct wingers running at him it could be bit a disaster.
Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 10:29 - Feb 18 with 2357 viewsed_83

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 08:38 - Feb 18 by stevec

Warnock 2010/11
Defenders who defend
Midfielders who midfield
Attackers who attack

Wingers love wing backs because by and large they can’t tackle. Wing backs give you room, room to cross in your own sweet time, room to make the centre backs look clumsy.

Wingers don’t love full backs because they can tackle. Full backs don’t give you room to cross and if they do you’ll probably get kicked for your troubles. Centre backs like full backs because if the winger thinks he might get a kicking he won’t cross the ball very well.

Not entirely sure about this. We played half the Warnock promotion season with Kyle Walker as our second best attacking player, behind only Adel, bombing forward from right back.
Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 10:35 - Feb 18 with 2322 viewsRangersw12

He did well yesterday bar a couple of shaky moments in the 2nd half

Not long term solution for me especially against teams who will sit it as we need the full backs to bomb on.

Credit to him though he hasn't played for a while and gave a good account of himself hopefully he will get a decent club in the summer
Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 10:46 - Feb 18 with 2285 viewsAntti_Heinola

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 08:38 - Feb 18 by stevec

Warnock 2010/11
Defenders who defend
Midfielders who midfield
Attackers who attack

It’s not a simple game these days and that’s why the managers who think it is have gone the way of the dinosaurs.
Both disingenuous and unfair on Warnock to categorise his team like that.
Walker played half a season for us and was a game changer inn terms of a defender who attacked. Connolly and Gorkss were both defenders who could pass the ball out. Paddy was a keeper who played as a defender, starting well out of his box often. And most importantly m, the team, bar Adel, both attacked and defended as a team. Gorkss, Connolly, Walker and Hill all got crucial goals; Helguson was our best defender at corners.
Which beings us to Dunne: my view is he played not horses for courses but because we are very good defensively now… except set pieces. So he added two players who defend corners: Dunne and Dykes, and tried to offset by playing two creatives in Andersen and Willock.
It worked. He also left out little Colback for Big Sam.

Bare bones.

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 11:18 - Feb 18 with 2176 viewsstevec

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 10:46 - Feb 18 by Antti_Heinola

It’s not a simple game these days and that’s why the managers who think it is have gone the way of the dinosaurs.
Both disingenuous and unfair on Warnock to categorise his team like that.
Walker played half a season for us and was a game changer inn terms of a defender who attacked. Connolly and Gorkss were both defenders who could pass the ball out. Paddy was a keeper who played as a defender, starting well out of his box often. And most importantly m, the team, bar Adel, both attacked and defended as a team. Gorkss, Connolly, Walker and Hill all got crucial goals; Helguson was our best defender at corners.
Which beings us to Dunne: my view is he played not horses for courses but because we are very good defensively now… except set pieces. So he added two players who defend corners: Dunne and Dykes, and tried to offset by playing two creatives in Andersen and Willock.
It worked. He also left out little Colback for Big Sam.

I wasn’t writing a thesis.

My statement regards Warnock is meant as a starting point. That is, you plan, or should, in 3 sections. So for instance, you want defenders who can defend your own goal and so on. What you don’t do is pick right and left backs who are better at attacking than defending.

If you’ve got a Kyle Walker you’ve had a result, but those kind of results aren’t usually looking for a place in a Championship side. As such you cut your cloth accordingly and that cloth needs to be a defensive full back, in this case, first and foremost. Digressing slightly, whilst Walker was far and away the best player we’ve had here this century, it’s worth noting we conceded less goals when Bradley Orr was playing right back, which is the point I’m making, particularly as we have no Kyle Walker or anything like him around the club these days.

If each of the three sections can perform in their own right, you have a starting point. Pro players can then evolve confident in those immediately alongside and then you have a team.
Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 11:45 - Feb 18 with 2097 viewsHooping_Mad

I could be wrong but the back line seemed to be a bit different to normal, looked to me like we were more a back 3 with Jimmy sort playing a sweeping role on the extreme right wing. He's not a traditional right back and I think his job was to break up the play and move it forward and he did a good job. He was so far on the right that he curled a few passes along the touchline that went out of play and got flagged and a few that the lino couldn't tell as they were so high he gave Jimmy the benefit. I think he curled one a full foot out of play that landed back over the line at one point.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 11:45 - Feb 18 with 2094 viewsPunteR

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 11:18 - Feb 18 by stevec

I wasn’t writing a thesis.

My statement regards Warnock is meant as a starting point. That is, you plan, or should, in 3 sections. So for instance, you want defenders who can defend your own goal and so on. What you don’t do is pick right and left backs who are better at attacking than defending.

If you’ve got a Kyle Walker you’ve had a result, but those kind of results aren’t usually looking for a place in a Championship side. As such you cut your cloth accordingly and that cloth needs to be a defensive full back, in this case, first and foremost. Digressing slightly, whilst Walker was far and away the best player we’ve had here this century, it’s worth noting we conceded less goals when Bradley Orr was playing right back, which is the point I’m making, particularly as we have no Kyle Walker or anything like him around the club these days.

If each of the three sections can perform in their own right, you have a starting point. Pro players can then evolve confident in those immediately alongside and then you have a team.

Yeah, also Clint Hill played LB all that season. A proper defender but also very good on the ball. Didnt bomb forward down that line as it was going on down the right but he had Faulin in front of him. A proper midfielder.
Great team.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Jimmy Dunne at RB - yay or indeed nay? on 11:48 - Feb 18 with 2074 viewsNorthernr

Very decent yesterday, as a lot of them were.
So you think you've cracked it, you pick something similar again the following game, and they'll play completely differently.
Must be absolutely infuriating to manage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024