Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers 17:23 - Mar 29 with 18701 viewsDylanP

Great performance today, for a really important win. But it is no surprise that our two goals came from defenders. I cannot remember a single shot from Frey or Armstrong and while both were influential, ultimately they are there to score goals. Both Willock and Chair had really good opportunities that they slashed at and skied it miles over the bar from close range. Again both had their moments, but in the end, balls in the back of the net speak loudest. We often talk about the elusive 20-goals-a-season striker but we aren't even close to having a 10-goals-a-season striker. Our top goalscorer this season is Chair with 5. That is pathetic.

This is the team that is going to keep us up and Marti is the man, but in the off-season job number 1 has to be to get a striker who can score goals.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 13:49 - Apr 16 with 1973 viewscorse

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 20:37 - Apr 15 by Sonofpugwash

Lyndon Dykes in the bathroom

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GLJnb_UXEAAwsZb?format=jpg&name=large

Are you sure this is our Dykes? Looks a bit small to me. Surely he is bigger pile of xxxx
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 14:36 - Apr 16 with 1872 viewsParkRoyalR

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 07:37 - Apr 14 by SK_hoops

First season we had him he got 12 goals and 5 assists! What has happened to him?

All our forwards (and I include the 10's as they are forwards) have struggled for goals this season, excluding Frey but Dykes & Armstrong's stats are abysmal as are Willock's & Chair's (although a return to fitness Willock offered up a couple of tap-ins for Chair which improved his previously worst ratio of goals per minutes played of all our Forwards).

Reasons why is the million dollar question?

Other than usual knee-jerk posters I'd suggest Ainsworth's half-season in charge, Cifuentes getting to know the squad (and in my opinion over-rotating and not using his subs effectively eg Frey comes on & Smyth goes off etc) amongst other lesser factors (points deficit, league position etc)

Also think a key reason was using Chair & Willock as wide wingers which they are not rather than playing them closer together (where they are more effective) and both players and Dykes (who cant beat a man on the turn) were far more effective under Warburton's system using Wing-Backs as made the 10's (particularly Chair) less predictable and easy to mark and Dykes the opportunity to face and attack crosses cut-back from the bye-line by the likes of Wallace, Moses etc who could actually cross rather than aimlessly whack the ball as hard as possible while running at full speed,

Easy to say Dykes is rubbish, Willock is unfit / disinterested and Chair is tired / distracted but ultimately this comes down to our formation, tactics and this seasons Managers.

Play Chair left, Willock in the middle and Smyth (or Andersen) wide to protect Dunne and our attacking play would improve as would reverting to Cifuentes preferred 4-3-3 formation as post transfer window we now have 3 midfielders who can play in a 3 (Field / Colback / Hadeyn) which we could'nt pre-window with Dozzell and Colback injured or banned.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 14:51 - Apr 16 with 1854 viewsR_from_afar

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 14:36 - Apr 16 by ParkRoyalR

All our forwards (and I include the 10's as they are forwards) have struggled for goals this season, excluding Frey but Dykes & Armstrong's stats are abysmal as are Willock's & Chair's (although a return to fitness Willock offered up a couple of tap-ins for Chair which improved his previously worst ratio of goals per minutes played of all our Forwards).

Reasons why is the million dollar question?

Other than usual knee-jerk posters I'd suggest Ainsworth's half-season in charge, Cifuentes getting to know the squad (and in my opinion over-rotating and not using his subs effectively eg Frey comes on & Smyth goes off etc) amongst other lesser factors (points deficit, league position etc)

Also think a key reason was using Chair & Willock as wide wingers which they are not rather than playing them closer together (where they are more effective) and both players and Dykes (who cant beat a man on the turn) were far more effective under Warburton's system using Wing-Backs as made the 10's (particularly Chair) less predictable and easy to mark and Dykes the opportunity to face and attack crosses cut-back from the bye-line by the likes of Wallace, Moses etc who could actually cross rather than aimlessly whack the ball as hard as possible while running at full speed,

Easy to say Dykes is rubbish, Willock is unfit / disinterested and Chair is tired / distracted but ultimately this comes down to our formation, tactics and this seasons Managers.

Play Chair left, Willock in the middle and Smyth (or Andersen) wide to protect Dunne and our attacking play would improve as would reverting to Cifuentes preferred 4-3-3 formation as post transfer window we now have 3 midfielders who can play in a 3 (Field / Colback / Hadeyn) which we could'nt pre-window with Dozzell and Colback injured or banned.

"...but ultimately this comes down to our formation, tactics and this seasons Managers".

A lack of personal responsibility and professional pride is also a factor. Putting the ball in the net is the most basic skill in football, yet our finishing is shocking.

Whether finishing is being given enough attention in the training sessions or not, our players should be working hard, at their own initiative, to improve because their profligacy is clear to see and is costing us a lot of points.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 15:09 - Apr 16 with 1802 viewsBenny_the_Ball

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 14:51 - Apr 16 by R_from_afar

"...but ultimately this comes down to our formation, tactics and this seasons Managers".

A lack of personal responsibility and professional pride is also a factor. Putting the ball in the net is the most basic skill in football, yet our finishing is shocking.

Whether finishing is being given enough attention in the training sessions or not, our players should be working hard, at their own initiative, to improve because their profligacy is clear to see and is costing us a lot of points.

I'm not so sure about that. Many professionals cite putting the ball in the back of the net as one of the most difficult skills in football, hence why decent strikers command big bucks.

However, I do agree that some of our players need to work hard on their finishing. The stats for goals scored makes for depressing reading.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 16:10 - Apr 16 with 1743 viewsParkRoyalR

Agree, only need to consider the chances missed in recent games to ask this question of our coaching staff, maybe its instinct and just un-coachable,

But there's definitely other aspects of our players development where you just see no improvement year on year (eg Ossie's positional play to pick one of a few obvious examples)
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 16:51 - Apr 16 with 1689 viewsgazza1

Scoring goals is the hardest thing in football, hence why strikers who can do it are worth millions, much more than other positions. It is not a basic skill.

As for training, of course they practise scoring goals (shooting, getting into good positions, etc, etc probably more than anything else because it is the hardest thing to do.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 17:04 - Apr 16 with 1647 viewsManinBlack

When you see the quality of Palmer's finishing for that lot up the road it is galling seeing the joke forwards we have. Palmer has got 7 goals in two home games, more than any of our players can manage in a season. Makes my blood pressure go into overdrive watching our feeble efforts on goal.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:23 - Apr 16 with 1549 viewsR_from_afar

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 16:51 - Apr 16 by gazza1

Scoring goals is the hardest thing in football, hence why strikers who can do it are worth millions, much more than other positions. It is not a basic skill.

As for training, of course they practise scoring goals (shooting, getting into good positions, etc, etc probably more than anything else because it is the hardest thing to do.

On reflection, I should have said *fundamental* skill. I was not trying to imply finishing was easy, and it was finishing - shooting or heading - I was talking about. Not creating the chance or anything else, although other things are clearly important, but just: You're in front of the net and you need to either kick it or head it in. Our chance conversion rate is killing us. This applies to all the outfield players.

I'm not expecting to turn them all into Olly Watkins or Haaland or some other world class striker. We simply have to become more clinical and frankly, I would like to think professional pride would spur some of our heroes on to put in some extra effort, on their own even, to get better. We hear stories about players doing extra training on their own to try to perfect a skill. That's the desire and effort I'd like, perhaps it is already happening, even though we're not seeing improvements yet.

Anyway, that's me done on that subject. I'm ranting

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Login to get fewer ads

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:30 - Apr 16 with 1542 viewsqpr_1968

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 20:54 - Apr 13 by Rangersw12

if dykes would of shot john lennon, he'd have been 83 now and still writing songs.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:51 - Apr 16 with 1514 viewsParkRoyalR

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:30 - Apr 16 by qpr_1968

if dykes would of shot john lennon, he'd have been 83 now and still writing songs.

And compared to Charlie Austin who mugged off the club & its fans twice (not to mention clearing his corporate box out of beers for carry-outs after home games as....'they were included in his package')...............

Lyndon Dykes has always been fit and available to play, even after a bout of pneumonia, never turned up over-weight, never sat in the stand on being substituted undermining the Managers authority, never double jobbed on the radio nor criticized the club and his colleagues on live radio.

There, thought I'd bring a bit of context (tin hat firmly secured for incoming, lol).

Might'nt be the best but does his best and like last season is the best of the rest so maybe as a fan give him your support.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:56 - Apr 16 with 1498 viewskensalriser

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:51 - Apr 16 by ParkRoyalR

And compared to Charlie Austin who mugged off the club & its fans twice (not to mention clearing his corporate box out of beers for carry-outs after home games as....'they were included in his package')...............

Lyndon Dykes has always been fit and available to play, even after a bout of pneumonia, never turned up over-weight, never sat in the stand on being substituted undermining the Managers authority, never double jobbed on the radio nor criticized the club and his colleagues on live radio.

There, thought I'd bring a bit of context (tin hat firmly secured for incoming, lol).

Might'nt be the best but does his best and like last season is the best of the rest so maybe as a fan give him your support.

We get it, Mrs Dykes. There's no shame in loving your son.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 04:04 - Apr 17 with 1346 viewsDylanP

Yes, and Dykes has also never scored 20 in a season. Nor was he ever the 2nd highest scoring Englishman in the Premiership (after Harry Cain, not bad company at all).

See, all those other things mean nothing if a striker isn't putting the ball in the net, innit

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 05:46 - Apr 17 with 1329 viewsnumptydumpty

Wasn't massively impressed by Austin second time around.

But Dykes effort was superb when he joined us, however there is way below 💯effort now.

Rarely runs into space so can be found and in addition to being the opposite end of clinical, the chances he is available to scuff shot are also massively less.

Frey has already shown much improved effort as against Lyndon,
[Post edited 17 Apr 5:48]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 06:05 - Apr 17 with 1314 viewsHooparoo

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 05:46 - Apr 17 by numptydumpty

Wasn't massively impressed by Austin second time around.

But Dykes effort was superb when he joined us, however there is way below 💯effort now.

Rarely runs into space so can be found and in addition to being the opposite end of clinical, the chances he is available to scuff shot are also massively less.

Frey has already shown much improved effort as against Lyndon,
[Post edited 17 Apr 5:48]

The main thing that drives me crazy about Dykes is how static he is in the box. He never tries to get ahead of a defender when a cross is coming in and just doesn’t seem to anticipate where to move to attack the ball. Scoring is instinctive and I’m afraid he just doesn’t have a strikers instinct. I have no idea why any coach ever thought he was a striker.

Can’t fault his effort but he’s no striker.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 07:08 - Apr 17 with 1239 viewsGus_iom

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:30 - Apr 16 by qpr_1968

I'm sooooo glad Dykes wasn't involved in that, considering the last part of your sentence
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 07:55 - Apr 17 with 1192 viewsdaveB

Still banging on about Charlie Austin, he left 2 years ago and we haven't got any better since

Don't go on about being a fan and showing support on one hand and slagging off Frey and co on the other

No one wants Dykes to be rubbish, we'd all love him to score a goal more than once every 3 months but he's not doing that

You can come up with all the excuses you want for Dykes, players in wrong position, managers fault etc, none of it matters he's just not very good and hasn't been under the last 4 managers and with a variety of team mates
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 08:08 - Apr 17 with 1172 viewsGaryBannister86

Blimey, never mind Begovic and his Chelsea antics, now I know that Charlie Austin took a few beers home from his corporate box - errrr um. Forget those 20 premier league goals in an awful team, that is beyond the pale!

Your support of Dykes is admirable, but whilst I agree in a little of what you say - in that I think he brings more to the team than others give him credit for, the fact is even the big centre forward lumps we can compare him to are good for 10-12 goals a season, not a decade.

I've admired his effort and commitment last season, but to be honest I've pretty much given up on him now. Enough is enough and really he needs to win us something. Saturday.

One other thing - totally obvious perhaps - is that his confidence to score is completely shot and I now think, having argued against it before, he really is "on his heels" quite often when opportunities should come.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 09:41 - Apr 17 with 1033 viewsWatford_Ranger

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 08:08 - Apr 17 by GaryBannister86

Blimey, never mind Begovic and his Chelsea antics, now I know that Charlie Austin took a few beers home from his corporate box - errrr um. Forget those 20 premier league goals in an awful team, that is beyond the pale!

Your support of Dykes is admirable, but whilst I agree in a little of what you say - in that I think he brings more to the team than others give him credit for, the fact is even the big centre forward lumps we can compare him to are good for 10-12 goals a season, not a decade.

I've admired his effort and commitment last season, but to be honest I've pretty much given up on him now. Enough is enough and really he needs to win us something. Saturday.

One other thing - totally obvious perhaps - is that his confidence to score is completely shot and I now think, having argued against it before, he really is "on his heels" quite often when opportunities should come.

Not sure Dykes turning up for work is worth of praise. Praise relative to some down the years and Tricky Taylor I guess. I’d play after pneumonia too but I’m not sure anyone would defend my abilities a year later and I wouldn’t be too far behind his goal tally.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 09:43 - Apr 17 with 1030 viewsTheChef

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 08:08 - Apr 17 by GaryBannister86

He just doesn't have the hunger to score. Saturday at Hull he received the ball edge of the area, had a bit of time to work some space and get a shot away. But he didn't.

As mentioned I do think he tries, I'm not sure the way we play is best suited to him, but for all that you still need to try things, move, anticipate, have some kind of instinct for goal. He's just not a natural striker.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 12:04 - Apr 17 with 814 viewsWatford_Ranger

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 09:43 - Apr 17 by TheChef

He just doesn't have the hunger to score. Saturday at Hull he received the ball edge of the area, had a bit of time to work some space and get a shot away. But he didn't.

As mentioned I do think he tries, I'm not sure the way we play is best suited to him, but for all that you still need to try things, move, anticipate, have some kind of instinct for goal. He's just not a natural striker.

There was a home goal this season where Smyth’s cross got deflected and he bundled it in but he rarely seems to be on the end of those. When there’s an opportunity to be in the right place from a goalkeeper’s parry or a loose ball in the six yard box your one striker shouldn’t generally be loitering 15 yards away.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 12:28 - Apr 17 with 773 viewsRs_Holy

We all knew when this season kicked that unless we got a 'Wells n Hugill' type loan deal we were never going to get more than a handful of goals from the permanent strikers.... inevitable thread... surprised it took so long to surface.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 12:44 - Apr 17 with 722 viewsLoyalitat

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 09:43 - Apr 17 by TheChef

"Move, anticipate, have some kind of instinct for goal". Watched the Southampton v Preston game and you saw all those traits in Che Adams. A player who Birmingham bought for £1.6 million.

Instead, after four years of being first-choice striker, we have the antithesis of the above. We will struggle to recoup the £2million we paid for him. Alongside his new contract, I fear he won't be going anywhere, as there'll be no club in this league willing to match what he's earning here. As for Celtic or Rangers, I struggle to see him being in their contemplation.
[Post edited 17 Apr 12:59]
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 13:15 - Apr 17 with 661 viewsBklynRanger

It just needs to draw to a close now with Dykes. He's from an athletic family I believe (there's stuff on wiki I can't be bothered to read again), spent his teens playing rugby league, switched to football relatively recently and it often genuinely shows.

But he's done well for himself, been making a good living, played for Scotland, had some high points with us and his own Belinda Carlisle ditty. End of chapter - I wish him luck wherever that next chapter is but it's very clearly run its course with us.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 13:27 - Apr 17 with 611 viewsMonkey_Roots

You're right.

He's never turned up over-weight, never sat in the stand on being substituted undermining the Managers authority, never double jobbed on the radio nor criticized the club and his colleagues on live radio.

Never scores either, which happens to be quite important for a striker.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 14:15 - Apr 17 with 521 viewsNorthernr

When Lyndon Dykes scores 18 goals in a Premier League season for QPR, or 20 goals the season before to get us there in the first place, then he can have beer from the fridge as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024