Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years 07:33 - Jun 1 with 6769 viewsDylanP

The frequent criticism of Begovic mystifies me. QPR are a mid-table second tier team and we are clearly lucky to have a goalie with his experience, maturity, shot stopping abilities and range. He isn't perfect, but I'm not sure what people expect -- Peter Shilton reincarnate. This season, which by all accounts was pretty poor, we kept 14 clean sheets (thats more than quarter of our games), while only scoring 47 goals in 46 games (4th worst in league), and only conceded 57 goals (7th best in league).

Obviously, goals conceded and clean sheets are not down to the goalie alone. But the goalie organizes and marshals the defense, and we have all seen that all season. Even when we looked terrible over all, Begs was there coming out quickly for catches and punches, constantly talking to the players around him, and importantly making key saves. Think about the Leeds game. Right after Chair scored our first goal, Leeds got up the field and had a hard a low shot from inside the box. Had that snuck past Begs the end result could've been very different. That was true all season.

Look, Begs isn't perfect. If he was, he wouldn't be playing for us. But his ability with his feet is the foundation for our style of play, his organizing has kept the defence strong all last season, his maturity has maintain the morale of the team when all else was failing, and his shot stopping has kept us in games. Chances of us snagging a better fit for our team are zero to none.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 08:09 - Jun 1 with 3360 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The argument about how good he is or isn’t has been done to death.

My issue is with the economics of it. He can’t have been less expensive than a young prem academy keeper or League One / Two prospect with re sale value can he?

We shouldn’t be signing 38 year olds full stop.

I hope Walsh starts next season.
[Post edited 1 Jun 8:10]
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 08:25 - Jun 1 with 3292 viewsDeanoMD

Have you been sniffing glue?
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 08:35 - Jun 1 with 3269 viewsQPR_Jim

The good thing about last season was that he played every game (bar the last one) so when you look at goals conceded and points picked up for the defence you have a constant behind them and Begovic will be in line with the teams average performance. That's why we can say clearly that the stats suggest that the maturity and organisation came from Cook who really changed how the team performed and JCS also.

Begovic individually was the 3rd worst goalkeeper in the division which is below our mid-table status you have us down as. Across the season our opponents should have scored something like 7 or 8 goals less than they did, which is a fair few points lost through goalkeeper performance. We need better, a replacement may be worse (who knows) but we should at least try to get someone better and with room to develop. The good thing about him being 3rd worst in the league is that there are a lot of goalkeepers already performing better than him, so hopefully not that difficult.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 08:35 - Jun 1 with 3268 viewsJevlar

Are you on the wind up?

Expensive with poor kicking, passing and an unusually odd desire to stick to his line, there are plenty of better options out there. His stats are helped greatly by the fact he had JCS and Cook in front of him.

Shake hands and move on.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 08:53 - Jun 1 with 3181 viewsNed_Kennedys

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 08:09 - Jun 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

The argument about how good he is or isn’t has been done to death.

My issue is with the economics of it. He can’t have been less expensive than a young prem academy keeper or League One / Two prospect with re sale value can he?

We shouldn’t be signing 38 year olds full stop.

I hope Walsh starts next season.
[Post edited 1 Jun 8:10]

If we had played Walsh or a young inexperienced keeper all of last season we would now be in League One.
We signed Begovic when he had just turned 36.
Ideally we would have signed someone like the Rotherham keeper Johansson last summer who was 24 years old and still had some decent experience but he would have cost decent money.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 08:57 - Jun 1 with 3154 viewsNed_Kennedys

Anyway this HAS been done to death on the other Begovic thread and we still don’t know if Cifuentes is going with him for another year or not yet.
This will all begin again when that news comes out.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 09:04 - Jun 1 with 3121 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 08:53 - Jun 1 by Ned_Kennedys

If we had played Walsh or a young inexperienced keeper all of last season we would now be in League One.
Ideally we would have signed someone like the Rotherham keeper Johansson last summer who was 24 years old and still had some decent experience but he would have cost decent money.

Can’t see anywhere where I’ve said Walsh should have started last season. No proof that a young keeper would have relegated us.

We shouldn’t be signing 36 year olds either.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 11:08 - Jun 1 with 2889 viewsdaveB

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 08:53 - Jun 1 by Ned_Kennedys

We were almost in league one with Begovic, lets not pretend he's the one who kept us up, he was crap for most of the season
Login to get fewer ads

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 11:17 - Jun 1 with 2858 viewsDavieQPR

His legs have gone. No bounce or movement. Now just a shot stopper. He's only going to get less and less mobile as time has caught up with him. By the silence I would think he has been offered a reduced terms contract which he has yet to accept.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 12:00 - Jun 1 with 2771 viewsNorthernr

Quite, quite mad.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 12:00 - Jun 1 with 2771 viewsBklynRanger

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 08:25 - Jun 1 by DeanoMD

Have you been sniffing glue?

I have to agree - it seems to be in full sentences but will you remember writing this Dylan? Stay away from the paint aisle in Home Depot.

'his ability with his feet is the foundation for our style of play'

Nurse!
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 12:16 - Jun 1 with 2722 viewsGloucs_R

There is a10 page thread on this already

Poll: Are we staying up?

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 12:21 - Jun 1 with 2702 viewsrichpr

Begovic has not been as bad as lots of posters have suggested so let's just see if Nourry and MC give hime a new contract. If they do then these posters can berate Nourry and MC - if they don't then at least this thread will stop. I am happy for Walsh to play but he will make plenty of mistakes in his first year and I think that might hinder any play-off push. Our main problem is lack of goals.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 12:43 - Jun 1 with 2650 viewsQPROslo

I thought Begovic was Ok and is under rated by many on here. Walsh looked good in that Coventry game, which isn't enough to judge him on but he looked promising at least. If we cannot afford better perhaps going with Walsh with Begovic mentoring him and as back-up could work, if Begovic is a good Coach and we can't afford to bring in better.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 12:54 - Jun 1 with 2610 viewsStanisgod

I have no.words. So you are saying he's better than Seny

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 12:56 - Jun 1 with 2599 viewsloftboy

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 12:54 - Jun 1 by Stanisgod

I have no.words. So you are saying he's better than Seny

How far back are we going?
Seny
Smithies
Green
Kenny
All IMHO better then Begovic

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 13:01 - Jun 1 with 2585 viewsRangersw12

Op is clearly on a wind up
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 13:08 - Jun 1 with 2562 viewssimmo

Good one

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 13:53 - Jun 1 with 2469 viewsnumptydumpty

Yes well done DylanP

Think you may be a tad bored during the close season !!

But absolutely agree with you Begovic is possibly up there almost Schemichel - esque with his qualities

Phil Parkes and Jan Stejskal amongst others have been massively impressed !!!!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
[Post edited 1 Jun 13:54]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 16:20 - Jun 1 with 2294 viewssaxbend

I won't slate his performances. He's made mistakes but I find those easy to forgive and I appreciate the positives he's contributed. However, if we can get a keeper who is about as good as he is, but younger, hungrier and on a lower wage, then we have headroom to strengthen another area of the pitch and will have a keeper who could develop into something even better than Begovic over a couple of seasons with most of his career still ahead of him.
[Post edited 1 Jun 16:21]
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 17:21 - Jun 1 with 2185 viewsLazyFan

Asmir did okay, in my view some great saves, especially against Boro, that won us points under Gaz.
His mistakes were the usual expected over season.

However, his stats are not great even if you compare them to other keepers who also had to play behind terrible defences. And we have seen that he's not as mobile coming out and helping stop breakaways.

Adding in he's bound to be on big monies for us and that means we should be looking elsewhere.
Hopefully, we shall.

Remember, if you get rid of your Dozzells, you can use the money saved to get some Andersens in.
Asmir did his job; now we move on.

zzzzzzzzzz

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 18:08 - Jun 1 with 2105 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The OP had me in fits of hysterics with this line:

"Begs was there coming out quickly for catches and punches, constantly talking to the players around him".

Flapovic was once a great keeper but is now slower than a boat to China and couldn't catch a cold. He's also very quiet and his distribution is poor. There is also a misconception that he's a great shot stopper but, as Clive pointed put in his end-of-season review, Opta rated Begovic as the third worst for shot stopping, costing the R’s something in the region of seven goals. QPR's good defensive record was in spite of Asmir ,not because of him. If you're in any doubt, check out QPR's stats with and without Cook and JCS in the team.

Yes, there are worse keepers out there but you have to put things into context. If Walsh had played last season and committed the same errors, you could mitigate them by his age, lack of experience and lower wages. Begovic is an experienced keeper, on a good wedge, who wore tha captain's armband. He, rightly, should be judged to a higher standard and has fallen well below this. Clive awarded Asmir a D; I think that was spot on.

If Asmir does stay, he'll need to pass the armband to Cook and focus on improving his own performances. Even if he does this, he has a long way to go to be considered the best QPR goalkeeper in years.
[Post edited 1 Jun 18:12]
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 18:20 - Jun 1 with 2076 viewsNed_Kennedys

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 11:08 - Jun 1 by daveB

We were almost in league one with Begovic, lets not pretend he's the one who kept us up, he was crap for most of the season

He was not ‘crap’ all season: as with all but the very best keepers he had some very poor moments and some very good moments.
And let’s not pretend he wasn’t part of the defence who did keep us up: it certainly wasn’t the forward players was it.

Some people will lose it if he is given another year: with Ferdinand, Hoos and Ramsey no longer involved they won’t know who to blame.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 18:46 - Jun 1 with 2020 viewssimmo

Some of the chat here is incredible, surely there's no actual match attending fans that have seen his contributions over nearly 50 games and think we can't and shouldn't do better...

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 18:50 - Jun 1 with 1999 viewsaston_hoop

I've been watching a different Asmir Begovic to the OP. Its a funny old world.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024