Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. 11:22 - Jun 9 with 27714 viewswelwynranger

But it is being reported that Burnley are interested in taking Marti as their manager.
At the moment Craig Bellamy is in interim charge along with Michael Jackson as his number 2 .
The Burnley fans are very unhappy as Bellamy has no managerial experience and is considered too old at 44.
They want a manager that can get them straight back into the prem next season and have highlighted Marti amazing achievement for us.
I hope the board make him a worthwhile offer to keep him.
Little bit worried money talks
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 15:02 - Jun 16 with 5076 viewsngbqpr

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 15:27 - Jun 14 by Hayesender

Fat Frank is now 1/3 for the Sunderland job. And breath (for now)

Blimey, imagine the frenzy on Sky when Frank Lampard's Sunderland play Wayne Rooney's Plymouth.

I could see why Marti might be tempted by Burnley. Sunderland? For all they're a bigger club than either us or Burnley, I'm not sure it's a good career move for him now.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 17:30 - Jun 16 with 4836 viewshantssi

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 14:57 - Jun 16 by Rangersw12

Exactly my thoughts can't do anything about it so no point fretting about every made up rumour

Put the Euro's on and enjoy the football

Until England are on!
I’ll watch tonight as I’ve been having trouble sleeping recently!
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 17:56 - Jun 16 with 4696 viewsstainrods_elbow

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 11:06 - Jun 13 by rbee

Andrex Quilted are your friend.

I'm confused. Given Marti is under contract to us, he can't leave unless we allow him permission to talk to other clubs, yes? Or have managerial contracts now become as worthless as players'?

Tbh, if he jumps ship like Boil, my interest, after nearly half a century, would be seriously on the slide.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 18:33 - Jun 17 with 4284 viewssaxbend

44 too old to be a manager now? OK I have heard it all.
[Post edited 17 Jun 18:34]
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 19:45 - Jun 17 with 4062 viewsloftboy

Just read an article on Facebook ( yes I know) that Sunderland are interested but don’t want to pay any compensation!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 00:25 - Jun 18 with 3695 viewsNorthernr

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 19:45 - Jun 17 by loftboy

Just read an article on Facebook ( yes I know) that Sunderland are interested but don’t want to pay any compensation!

Sounds like our strategy with the Linford Christie Stadium.
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 07:26 - Jun 18 with 3538 viewsnumptydumpty

If Marti leaves pre season - I can't see a world where this happens ever - but if he does, we are well and truly wotsitted !!

My trust in humanity would be without foundation.

I personally don't see Cifuentes in this way !!

As for bookies odd re transfer speculation or hot seat changes !!

Bookies odds on such things rarely reflect reality. Bookies like our money and with the use of AI, they have even greater tools to rip punters off.

I can't see Marti leaving until the end of this season. He is very young still in managers years and is sensible enough to get that he needs a success at this level for his own self belief, before he goes for the higher level.

Beale thought he was God and he really wasn't as proven. Cifuentes is a realist and knows he has to have this time with us to build his brand for his long term future.

The new CEO will be emphasising this to him in meetings also.

No need for worries here !!
[Post edited 18 Jun 7:27]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 11:31 - Jun 20 with 3049 viewsHayesender

Thought I'd have a look at the betting this morning, to see Marti is back up to 2nd favourite on sky bet. Just fck off and hire someone Sunderland ffs

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Login to get fewer ads

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 11:47 - Jun 20 with 2970 viewsDaBurgh

I imagine Marti is an ambitious guy, but I believe he has got a lot of scrupules. Does anyone honestly think he will give up his current 'project' i.e. us to manage a team that finished on the same number of points, but with two more losses, than us.
I'm sure he realises that a much improved season at Rangers and the world will be his lobster (curtosy of the late great, Hilda Ogden), and better opportunities will present themselves.
Remember it's grim up north.
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 12:43 - Jun 20 with 2763 viewsStainrod

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 11:47 - Jun 20 by DaBurgh

I imagine Marti is an ambitious guy, but I believe he has got a lot of scrupules. Does anyone honestly think he will give up his current 'project' i.e. us to manage a team that finished on the same number of points, but with two more losses, than us.
I'm sure he realises that a much improved season at Rangers and the world will be his lobster (curtosy of the late great, Hilda Ogden), and better opportunities will present themselves.
Remember it's grim up north.

Much as I like Marti I no longer use words like "scruples" in the context of people working in football. The amounts of money involved are simply so great that people who would probably be quite loyal in other areas of life are corrupted. Think it was Clive on here who revealed that Warbs had a number of chats with other clubs while he was with us, yet bar the last six months I naively thought he was pretty committed to our "project".

Am actually quite relaxed about Sunderland as its a bit of a basket case - high expectations but structural problems making success very difficult. The smarter move for him would surely be to think "lets get QPR top 6/8 by Christmas then I can either build on the success or pick up some more attractive offers".
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 12:51 - Jun 20 with 2719 viewsAntti_Heinola

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 12:43 - Jun 20 by Stainrod

Much as I like Marti I no longer use words like "scruples" in the context of people working in football. The amounts of money involved are simply so great that people who would probably be quite loyal in other areas of life are corrupted. Think it was Clive on here who revealed that Warbs had a number of chats with other clubs while he was with us, yet bar the last six months I naively thought he was pretty committed to our "project".

Am actually quite relaxed about Sunderland as its a bit of a basket case - high expectations but structural problems making success very difficult. The smarter move for him would surely be to think "lets get QPR top 6/8 by Christmas then I can either build on the success or pick up some more attractive offers".

Equally, I don't think it's wrong or unscrupulous to talk to other clubs.

Bare bones.

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 12:59 - Jun 20 with 2671 viewsconnell10

Why would he want to move to Sunderland or Burnley? We are bigger than both of them put together.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 13:21 - Jun 20 with 2612 viewsthehat

Isn’t it nice to have a manager that is wanted by other clubs rather than having to sack them and pay them off.

If he does go then it will be with a substantial amount of compensation and the next cab on the rank could be his number 2 Xavier Calm.
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 13:44 - Jun 20 with 2511 viewsNed_Kennedys

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 12:51 - Jun 20 by Antti_Heinola

Equally, I don't think it's wrong or unscrupulous to talk to other clubs.

Like Beale did you mean?
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 14:09 - Jun 20 with 2406 viewsNorthernr

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 12:43 - Jun 20 by Stainrod

It's very easy to talk about scruples etc.

QPR have sacked more managers than just about anybody else over the past 30 years. I dare say a few of those would argue the decision was very harsh, and given things didn't improve much after they left that they weren't really the problem. Ian Holloway and Marc Bircham, for instance, did everything that was asked of them, in difficult circumstances, and got binned off for the Wally with the Brolly on Tony Fernandes' say so at which point the whole team fell apart and needed to be propped up with exactly the sort of expensive loans Holloway had been told he wasn't allowed, while trying to compete in the Championship with Matt Smith and Conor Washington up front.

Don't get me wrong, Gareth Ainsworth is the most out of his depth manager I think I've ever seen here, and Cifuentes showed just what could be achieved with this squad, but to play devil's advocate you've taken a manager away from his job for life at Wycombe, you've handed him what was perceived to be one of the worst QPR teams of all time, dressing room completely all over the place, players who play a completely different style to the guy you've appointed, you've given him no money to do anything about it, he's told you he's a builder not a turn around guy and it will take a lot of time, and you've fired him a dozen games into the following season. Not much talk about scruples there, amongst all the Frank Gallagher memes. But now suddenly we've got a manager we like we're talking about loyalty etc.

Let's also be honest about something else here. If we take one point from the first six games next season, there will be people who want Cifuentes sacked. You've already seen posts on here saying he was lucky last season, stumbled across the right team by accident, "could have had us safe long before if only he'd listened to this message board" (genuinely the most hilarious thing I've ever read on here), so it would only need a few dodgy signings and a small run of results (in the Championship five defeats in a row can literally be two weeks, in which you may have injuries, a flu outbreak etc) and people would be wishing he'd "fcked off to Sunderland after all".
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 14:53 - Jun 20 with 2207 viewsfrancisbowles

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 12:59 - Jun 20 by connell10

Why would he want to move to Sunderland or Burnley? We are bigger than both of them put together.

Wishful thinking mate. Sure Sunderland have huge problems but much larger attendances. Burnley will have parachute payments and have had a fantastic training ground for decades.
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 14:56 - Jun 20 with 2193 viewsStainrod

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 14:09 - Jun 20 by Northernr

QPR have sacked more managers than just about anybody else over the past 30 years. I dare say a few of those would argue the decision was very harsh, and given things didn't improve much after they left that they weren't really the problem. Ian Holloway and Marc Bircham, for instance, did everything that was asked of them, in difficult circumstances, and got binned off for the Wally with the Brolly on Tony Fernandes' say so at which point the whole team fell apart and needed to be propped up with exactly the sort of expensive loans Holloway had been told he wasn't allowed, while trying to compete in the Championship with Matt Smith and Conor Washington up front.

Don't get me wrong, Gareth Ainsworth is the most out of his depth manager I think I've ever seen here, and Cifuentes showed just what could be achieved with this squad, but to play devil's advocate you've taken a manager away from his job for life at Wycombe, you've handed him what was perceived to be one of the worst QPR teams of all time, dressing room completely all over the place, players who play a completely different style to the guy you've appointed, you've given him no money to do anything about it, he's told you he's a builder not a turn around guy and it will take a lot of time, and you've fired him a dozen games into the following season. Not much talk about scruples there, amongst all the Frank Gallagher memes. But now suddenly we've got a manager we like we're talking about loyalty etc.

Let's also be honest about something else here. If we take one point from the first six games next season, there will be people who want Cifuentes sacked. You've already seen posts on here saying he was lucky last season, stumbled across the right team by accident, "could have had us safe long before if only he'd listened to this message board" (genuinely the most hilarious thing I've ever read on here), so it would only need a few dodgy signings and a small run of results (in the Championship five defeats in a row can literally be two weeks, in which you may have injuries, a flu outbreak etc) and people would be wishing he'd "fcked off to Sunderland after all".

Broadly agree that clubs (and fans) display similar lack of loyalty as managers.

And also that sacking the manager is often not the solution (except in extreme cases such as Ainsworth). Think an academic did one of those studies that academics do these days and his conclusion was that generally sacking a manager resulted in a brief uptick in form before the club typically reverted to its previous average results.

For clarity, I was being world-weary rather than condemnatory - after Beale left having vowed not to, nothing would shock me very much about a manager's departure and I would chalk it up as being the way of the world.

Where I slightly take issue is that a manager who is sacked has (as far as I'm aware) his full contract paid off, whereas due to changes in employment law the protection for most of us is now almost non-existent. A club left mid-season is often left in a complete mess.
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 14:59 - Jun 20 with 2180 viewsCLAREMAN1995

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 13:21 - Jun 20 by thehat

Isn’t it nice to have a manager that is wanted by other clubs rather than having to sack them and pay them off.

If he does go then it will be with a substantial amount of compensation and the next cab on the rank could be his number 2 Xavier Calm.

There is absolutly zero chance Xavier Calm would take over if Marti heads off the greener pastures he will simply go with him as they are one unit basically IMO
No idea what the attraction Sunderland job offers other than financial but like most posters agree there is a price for everybody at every level so anything is possible.
Does anybody know if Marti is back at LF or the training facilities yet it would be nice to see a few videos just of him walking around by himself
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 15:00 - Jun 20 with 2162 viewsNorthernr

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 14:56 - Jun 20 by Stainrod

Broadly agree that clubs (and fans) display similar lack of loyalty as managers.

And also that sacking the manager is often not the solution (except in extreme cases such as Ainsworth). Think an academic did one of those studies that academics do these days and his conclusion was that generally sacking a manager resulted in a brief uptick in form before the club typically reverted to its previous average results.

For clarity, I was being world-weary rather than condemnatory - after Beale left having vowed not to, nothing would shock me very much about a manager's departure and I would chalk it up as being the way of the world.

Where I slightly take issue is that a manager who is sacked has (as far as I'm aware) his full contract paid off, whereas due to changes in employment law the protection for most of us is now almost non-existent. A club left mid-season is often left in a complete mess.

Oh, yeh, sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you, quite the opposite in fact.
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 15:22 - Jun 20 with 2045 viewsBeejnewark

And, before we say anything about scruples, we would have been certainly sounding out Marti when Gareth was still here.
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 15:25 - Jun 20 with 2015 viewsTheChef

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 14:09 - Jun 20 by Northernr

"could have had us safe long before if only he'd listened to this message board"

Come on, own up. Who wrote that?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 15:54 - Jun 20 with 1909 viewsdm97

If it puts anyone else’s mind at ease - someone on ‘X’ who actually works for a local rag up there has said they’re being frustrated by work permit issues hence the long silence. Suggests it isn’t Marti as his WP would be valid.

In terms of scruples etc, football fans have no right to be annoyed when a manager leaves as I think most sensible fans would agree? As everything, it’s about timing and luck. Our ideal situation - if we take him leaving as read though as Clive says he could equally get the sack as most managers do - is probably the Beale scenario but a year or two further on (team doing well, *should* be able to continue if the off the pitch stuff is better) or at the end of a season when we’ve achieved something relatively successful (finishing 7-10 this coming season for example).

Personally think the latter is most likely with Marti, and probably to a smart parachute club or Brighton/Brentford. Not a fellow middling championship side who are just as shambolic as us.
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 15:59 - Jun 20 with 1882 viewsNorthernr

I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 15:25 - Jun 20 by TheChef

"could have had us safe long before if only he'd listened to this message board"

Come on, own up. Who wrote that?

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/309875/page:4/#13
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 20:43 - Jun 20 with 1546 viewsdmm

Van Nistelrooy appears to be favourite for the Burnley job: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c722dze7651o
I hope this is and stays just a rumour. on 07:45 - Jun 21 with 1229 viewsDannyPaddox

Comment deleted. I heard Donald Sutherland’s voice in my head saying, ”Always with the negative waves”.

Roll on August with MC still in charge 🙏🏼
[Post edited 21 Jun 7:52]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024