Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So 13:04 - Jun 18 with 9035 viewsBexleyHoop

Who would you like our first three games to be?

I would like:

A promoted team at home - Oxford Utd
A relegated team away - Sheff Utd
A mid table team from last year away - Watford
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:32 - Jun 26 with 2492 viewsLblock

West Brom at home is a must win

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:34 - Jun 26 with 2473 viewsWatford_Ranger

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:32 - Jun 26 by wombat

west brom isnt a sky game but still 1230 ko ????? makes zero sense

It’s the all new Sky Sports streaming super service I assume. Games moved for the four agoraphobes interested in watching multiple games on a sweltering August day.
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:34 - Jun 26 with 2469 viewsfrancisbowles

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:32 - Jun 26 by wombat

west brom isnt a sky game but still 1230 ko ????? makes zero sense

Every game's a sky game. "The sky is blue."😁
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:44 - Jun 26 with 2372 viewsqueensparker

Jesus, when was the last time we were at home on Boxing Day?

Used to be a proper Xmas tradition for years, can't remember the last time we had a Xmas jumper lunchtime kickoff

Boo
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:46 - Jun 26 with 2345 viewsLowerloftLad

We bought chertsey town season tickets this season.

So fixture release doesn't seem as exciting,But hoping they don't mess around with that portsmouth fixture.
[Post edited 26 Jun 10:50]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:51 - Jun 26 with 2313 viewsDesertBoot

Alas poor 3.pm Saturday kick off - I knew him well.

Wish I could be like David Watts

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:51 - Jun 26 with 2312 viewsnick_hammersmith

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:34 - Jun 26 by Watford_Ranger

It’s the all new Sky Sports streaming super service I assume. Games moved for the four agoraphobes interested in watching multiple games on a sweltering August day.

Thats a serious point though isn't it?
An average 12:30 EFL game on SKY got ~250,000 viewers

If that viewer base can choose which game they want to watch then its possible that some matches may only get a couple of thousand viewers.

At what point is it not economically viable to send a crew out to film this, and distribute it back to Hounslow, put a commentator on it and encode it for the streaming app?
[Post edited 26 Jun 10:52]
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:55 - Jun 26 with 2291 viewsDannyPaddox

Just an observation. We have four midweek evening games at home before Christmas (Hull, Cov, Boro, & Oxford) and none after. Should I be angry about this? And who do I complain to?
Login to get fewer ads

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:56 - Jun 26 with 2278 viewsNorthernr

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:51 - Jun 26 by nick_hammersmith

If that viewer base can choose which game they want to watch then its possible that some matches may only get a couple of thousand viewers.

At what point is it not economically viable to send a crew out to film this, and distribute it back to Hounslow, put a commentator on it and encode it for the streaming app?

Yeh I don't get the economics of it either.

Apparently a standard Saturday next season will have four televised 1230 games - three Championship and one from League One/Two. To me you're just dividing an already small audience four ways there aren't you? If you've got let's say QPR v West Brom, Leeds v Burnley and Sheff Wed v Blackburn all on Sky at the same time, who's watching Wycombe v Cambridge?

It'll be like that game ITV Digital showed one Thursday night where it would have been cheaper for them to chauffeur everybody who watched it to the game and buy them a ticket and a pint than it was for them to televise the thing.
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 11:00 - Jun 26 with 2260 viewslosethedrum

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:30 - Jun 26 by loftboy

Just succumbed and bought a season ticket in the lower loft standing area.

Top man !

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 11:17 - Jun 26 with 2153 viewsTheChef

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:55 - Jun 26 by DannyPaddox

Just an observation. We have four midweek evening games at home before Christmas (Hull, Cov, Boro, & Oxford) and none after. Should I be angry about this? And who do I complain to?

Given the Sky shenanigans how do you know these are midweek evening games?

Maybe they're 12.30 KOs too!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 11:22 - Jun 26 with 2122 viewsWatford_Ranger

I guess you’re guaranteed a pretty good audience from the fans of the clubs alone. All it really does is reduce the attendance at the matches. I’m surprised the 250k is so high though. Presumably skewed towards the end of the season as that’ll be a pretty big chunk of Sky Sports subscribers most of whom you’d think don’t give a toss about Norwich v Preston in November.
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 11:35 - Jun 26 with 2027 viewsstevec

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:56 - Jun 26 by Northernr

Apparently a standard Saturday next season will have four televised 1230 games - three Championship and one from League One/Two. To me you're just dividing an already small audience four ways there aren't you? If you've got let's say QPR v West Brom, Leeds v Burnley and Sheff Wed v Blackburn all on Sky at the same time, who's watching Wycombe v Cambridge?

It'll be like that game ITV Digital showed one Thursday night where it would have been cheaper for them to chauffeur everybody who watched it to the game and buy them a ticket and a pint than it was for them to televise the thing.

Does seem odd but perhaps they’ve worked out that betting on EFL televised games is way higher than on a game that’s not on live.
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 11:37 - Jun 26 with 2016 viewsdannyblue

Looking through those I think we’ll get 59 points. You heard it here first.
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 12:06 - Jun 26 with 1845 viewsDavieQPR

Two of the relegated teams to play in first month.
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 12:08 - Jun 26 with 1832 viewsdm97

Do we know if the TV splitting is permanent across the length of the new deal? I.e., if it divides the viewership as discussed and the economic effect is as bad as it seems would they be obliged to continue it no matter what?

Trying to kid myself into believing we can still save the 3pms long term
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 12:17 - Jun 26 with 1772 viewsswisscottage

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 17:46 - Jun 21 by paulhoop2

Stevie palmer great guy. One of best captains in recent times. Represented us very well

Had a box for my 50th in 2019 for the 5th round FA cup match vs Watford.

Stevie Palmer and Wayne Fereday were the ambassadors doing the rounds that day, and I had to apologize to Palmer for all but ignoring him, as I spent all my time talking to Fereday who was one of my 80s heroes. When I did talk to Palmer, he was an absolute gent about it.

Cracking evening, despite the result.
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 13:45 - Jun 26 with 1493 viewseastside_r

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 09:28 - Jun 26 by Northernr

Some brutal stuff for the 'hobbyists' there. Swansea on Boxing Day no train, Hull and Boro both midweek.
One week in january we're at Plymouth on Saturday then Hull on Tuesday fck me. Talk about 'away fatigued'.
Easter engineering works for Preston.

Ye gods, and that's before Sky take a bite out of the thing.

Am / was strongly considering becoming a full-time 'hobbyist' this season i.e. going to every game home and away. Have been waiting for these fixtures with trepidation.

For someone who doesn't drive, that Boxing Day at Swansea is a real killer.
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 13:59 - Jun 26 with 1429 viewsnick_hammersmith

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 12:08 - Jun 26 by dm97

Do we know if the TV splitting is permanent across the length of the new deal? I.e., if it divides the viewership as discussed and the economic effect is as bad as it seems would they be obliged to continue it no matter what?

Trying to kid myself into believing we can still save the 3pms long term

I think that train left the station a while back.
All TV companies are changing the way that television is distributed.

You can watch the Euros in UHD on the iPlayer, thats not cost efficient to enable over digital terrestrial television.

If you are a smaller broadcaster thats not bound by public service broadcasting you can use OTT services and stream a linear channel now, a lot of smart tv's will still create an EPG, so the average viewer doesn't realise they are watching an ip stream, rather than traditional broadcast.

Depending where you want to go on the EPG Freeview can be £8m a year, why wouldn't you distribute over ip.

SKY sell the SKY Q, so you can watch without a satellite receiver, to reduce their cost.

Within 5 years most houses won't have an aerial or dish to watch content. I think Comcast are firmly in this for the long haul. Whether they paid too much for the rights, like iTV, Setanta, ESPN and BT all did only time will tell!
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 17:55 - Jun 26 with 1080 viewsToast_R

Possibly heading for a catastrophic fall here, aren't we? Skysports. committing money to a product that doesn't sell. Why have they done that? To fend off other interested parties?

Sky's a big enough corporation to swallow it initially but come the next EFL TV rights deal, going to be a hard sell with other interested parties taking a look at Sky's model and thinking, actually, it's a bad investment.
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 17:59 - Jun 26 with 1075 viewsJuzzie

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 10:56 - Jun 26 by Northernr

IIRC, that analogy at the bottom applied to every live game they did broadcast, it was that catastrophic.
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 18:59 - Jun 26 with 974 viewsPaddyhoops

Missing the Millwall home game . Trip to Barcalona booked unless , Sky play it on Thursday.
Worse games to miss I suppose
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 19:14 - Jun 26 with 924 viewsessextaxiboy

They film every game anyway , I am not sure if it is a full broadcast , replays , co commentator etc or just an expansion of the midweek red button job ?
EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 21:57 - Jun 26 with 698 viewsOldPedro

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 19:14 - Jun 26 by essextaxiboy

They film every game anyway , I am not sure if it is a full broadcast , replays , co commentator etc or just an expansion of the midweek red button job ?

It seems to be an improved version of red button streaming called Sky Sports+

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 11:21 - Jun 27 with 412 viewsnick_hammersmith

EFL Fixtures out on 26 June.....So on 19:14 - Jun 26 by essextaxiboy

It was Pitch TV with the contract for iFollow, they didn't have a gallery in an OB van, I think that was all done back at base, so the production costs for that wouldn't have been that bad.

I think if SKY can get rid of the satellite costs then that saves a lot of money, but I reckon after the initial novelty factor has worn off there will be very small audiences watching two lower mid table EFL clubs.

Something that might work could be a studio show where they jump in and out of the games, like Soccer Saturday, but this would be a curated feed and showing the footage.

The US do this all the time for "March Madness" when they have lots of simultaneous games on and choose to 'feed' their viewers, rather than let them hop around to find the action
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024