Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard 16:44 - Mar 5 with 3750 viewsslmrstid

Right...bear with me...in the spirit of 21st century social media #ThrowbackThursday and all that here's a Loftus Road throwback for you....

What memories do you have of the old dot matrix scoreboard down at the School End? When it was the only score board of any sort in the ground, and in the days before the big screen (on a separate note, whoever designed that big screen and got it on top of the School End without the whole stand falling down deserves a Nobel Prize of some sort I reckon).

If I remember right, when the new fancy thing was installed at the Loft End the old dot matrix board still stood at the School End for a while before it too was replaced by a new fancy one.

I used to like the way little dancy men appeared on it in the early/mid90s when we scored goals.

Feels the old dot matrix scoreboards are very much a thing of the past, but seeing them always takes me back to what felt like simpler times.

Also I'm sure it had several bulbs blown toward the end of its life so when text was running across the screen letters would momentarily disappear.

Ah fine times...

(Judging by the image address, I think this is one of Juzzie's pictures...fine image sir...although I don't quite seem to be able to get it to work properly!)
[Post edited 5 Mar 2020 16:46]
The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 16:56 - Mar 5 with 2971 viewsMytch_QPR

Didn't it look like washing hands rather than clapping hands? - very topical at the moment.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 17:07 - Mar 5 with 2939 viewsessextaxiboy

The first scoreboard I can remember was on the Ellerslie /School end Pylon and had "Never a quarrel bet with Coral " at the bottom ....
The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 17:26 - Mar 5 with 2895 viewsstowmarketrange

I remember when the ht scores where put up by hand on the board by the pitch,which meant that if you didn’t buy a programme the letters meant nothing.
The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 17:55 - Mar 5 with 2829 viewsJuzzie

When they first put up the new jumbo-tron screen during the summer, I parked up to take a photo and got a parking ticket!
The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 18:08 - Mar 5 with 2801 viewsJuzzie

No idea why it won't link the picture but here's the whole page (with the photo of QPR 6 Chelsea 0 at the bottom)

http://www.justinbrown.co.uk/qpr/bham/bham.html
The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard (n/t) on 18:12 - Mar 5 with 2787 viewsessextaxiboy

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 17:07 - Mar 5 by essextaxiboy

The first scoreboard I can remember was on the Ellerslie /School end Pylon and had "Never a quarrel bet with Coral " at the bottom ....

Not one of our better days..............
[Post edited 5 Mar 2020 18:14]
The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 18:34 - Mar 5 with 2752 viewsflynnbo

So that's where our 'Enery's Subbuteo scoreboard went.
The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 18:35 - Mar 5 with 2751 viewsThe_Beast1976

Loved the dot matrix board. When the oppo scored it just used to say "Goal" and stretched out across the board
Login to get fewer ads

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 18:44 - Mar 5 with 2737 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 16:56 - Mar 5 by Mytch_QPR

Didn't it look like washing hands rather than clapping hands? - very topical at the moment.

My most impressive 'Idiot Eureka' moment was when (years late) I finally realised why the Loft's chant for Seaman was "Spunky, Spunky!"

I'm not proud.

My second most impressive was when I finally twigged that the Space Invaders Spaceships on the scoreboard were clapping hands.

I'm really not proud.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 19:36 - Mar 5 with 2661 viewssmegma

My memory of the original dot matrix at the school end was when Gary Chivers broke about 4 light bulbs with a shot.
The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard (n/t) on 19:54 - Mar 5 with 2617 viewsbosh67

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard (n/t) on 18:12 - Mar 5 by essextaxiboy

That was only 16 minutes in by the looks of it!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 20:39 - Mar 5 with 2551 viewsHastings_Hoops

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 18:35 - Mar 5 by The_Beast1976

Loved the dot matrix board. When the oppo scored it just used to say "Goal" and stretched out across the board

My memory is that “GOAL” which stretched out was only for the away team and “VVVVVVV” was for QPR... always annoyed me as I preferred the “GOAL” one.

There was the rare occasion when a hat trick was scored (I think) and there was a rocket going into a goal?
The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 21:09 - Mar 5 with 2505 viewsToast_R

The days before Pig Bag
The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 21:21 - Mar 5 with 2478 viewsqueensparker

It was always on the fritz as well with a few dead bulbs dotted about here and there
The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 21:38 - Mar 5 with 2446 views2Thomas2Bowles

In the 70's I remember they use to announce the full-time scores of other games, use to wait to hear them or it was a wait till about 6/6.30pm to get the final scores evening standard for reports.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 22:15 - Mar 5 with 2397 viewsLoftgirl

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 19:36 - Mar 5 by smegma

My memory of the original dot matrix at the school end was when Gary Chivers broke about 4 light bulbs with a shot.

Lucky they replaced it before Hugill arrived.
The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 22:44 - Mar 5 with 2364 viewsEsox_Lucius

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 18:44 - Mar 5 by BrianMcCarthy

My most impressive 'Idiot Eureka' moment was when (years late) I finally realised why the Loft's chant for Seaman was "Spunky, Spunky!"

I'm not proud.

My second most impressive was when I finally twigged that the Space Invaders Spaceships on the scoreboard were clapping hands.

I'm really not proud.

Probably not as embarrassing as Michael Wale doing an interview with him when he first joined and asking the question "So David, why have the lads given you the nickname Harry?" The look on Seamans face was along the lines of 'are you kidding me?' It would have been nice to have seen Michael's face when the light bulb lit up.

The grass is always greener.

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 23:07 - Mar 5 with 2353 viewsCiderwithRsie

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 17:55 - Mar 5 by Juzzie

When they first put up the new jumbo-tron screen during the summer, I parked up to take a photo and got a parking ticket!

Possibly due to having Had A Few, reading this has made me wonder why, for years, I have accepted the phrase Jumbo-Tron as meaning anything. WTF does it mean? An elephant with an 80s video game film?

Presumably whoever came up with it thought that Big F*** Off Telly wasn't going to fly.
The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 07:33 - Mar 6 with 2220 viewsJuzzie

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 23:07 - Mar 5 by CiderwithRsie

Possibly due to having Had A Few, reading this has made me wonder why, for years, I have accepted the phrase Jumbo-Tron as meaning anything. WTF does it mean? An elephant with an 80s video game film?

Presumably whoever came up with it thought that Big F*** Off Telly wasn't going to fly.

JumboTron was trademarked by Sony in the 80’s when they started making these big sports screens.
The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 07:57 - Mar 6 with 2203 viewsMetallica_Hoop

It was off for one game and it felt like I didn't know the score, which is weird because I did know the score, but felt like I didn't, Uunless I'd forgotten the score.

Which hastened an impendingly imminent feeling of doom upon me.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 08:29 - Mar 6 with 2175 viewspaulparker

The scoreboard showing clive Wilson as the goal scorer when in-fact it was Paul Parker in the 6-1 against Luton

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 08:36 - Mar 6 with 2169 viewsWokingR

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 07:57 - Mar 6 by Metallica_Hoop

It was off for one game and it felt like I didn't know the score, which is weird because I did know the score, but felt like I didn't, Uunless I'd forgotten the score.

Which hastened an impendingly imminent feeling of doom upon me.

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard (n/t) on 09:00 - Mar 6 with 2140 viewsNortholt_Rs

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard (n/t) on 18:12 - Mar 5 by essextaxiboy

That photo is from 1973..... just checked via 11v11.com and the ‘scoreboard’ is fûcked. We won the game 2-0. COYRs!!!!!
[Post edited 6 Mar 2020 9:03]

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 09:36 - Mar 6 with 2092 viewsfrancisbowles

I can remember the Queens Park Rangers song and the three words in our name, appearing one by one on the scoreboard, in time with the music.

The scoreboard was very North American Soccer League which we used to see clips of on Football Focus and/or On the Ball.
The School End Dot Matrix scoreboard on 09:49 - Mar 6 with 2079 viewsLunarJetman

I remember the dot matrix one starting to smoke one game and away fans being moved away from it.

Or it basically missing dots and looking like someone couldn't afford to change the bulbs... bit like the floodlights...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024