Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Connolly 13:15 - Jun 25 with 4570 viewsHoopstar

Just released by Cardiff - seems a very long time ago he played for us! Despite winning the league 3 times in 4 seasons he used to terrify me with his fondness of letting the ball drop...

Wonder if he might be looking at him in the same experienced pro role as Rangel and Cameron though he was never as good and will be 33 by the time the new season starts.

Anyone know if he's been any good?

Seem to remember he bought a tattoo parlour when playing for us
Matt Connolly on 13:32 - Jun 25 with 3679 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Didn’t he have a run of promotions from the championship? Three years in a row three different teams or something starting with us. Good luck charm.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 13:32]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Matt Connolly on 13:35 - Jun 25 with 3664 viewsHoopstar

Yeah he won it with us, Reading and Cardiff three years on the bounce I think - plus came second with Watford a couple years later so can't have been hopeless!
Matt Connolly on 13:38 - Jun 25 with 3646 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Matt Connolly on 13:35 - Jun 25 by Hoopstar

Yeah he won it with us, Reading and Cardiff three years on the bounce I think - plus came second with Watford a couple years later so can't have been hopeless!

Yeah I seem to remember liking him. Steady player for us didn’t do a lot wrong decent with the ball.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Matt Connolly on 13:44 - Jun 25 with 3625 viewsted_hendrix

I thought he got quite poorly and didn't play for a while? dear me though every now and then he had the habit of letting high balls bounce in front of him getting himself caught out.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Matt Connolly on 13:48 - Jun 25 with 3602 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Slightly off tangent, but does anyone else remember him vomiting all over the pitch from nerves prior to an important promotion chasing game versus Forest?
Matt Connolly on 18:45 - Jun 25 with 3388 viewsLazyFan

Worth getting as a cheaper Hall replacement if we cannot find any cheap decent CD. Can also play DMC like Hall as well. In addition, knows the club and are and set-up.

Could be cheap 1+1 contract deal.

zzzzzzzzzz

Matt Connolly on 18:49 - Jun 25 with 3371 viewsBoston

He was a strange cove, but we’ve had plenty of ‘em. A steady performance one week, then god awful mistakes the next.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Matt Connolly on 18:59 - Jun 25 with 3365 viewsDavieQPR

If he was considered any good for the Championship then Cardiff would not have let him go. Last played 4 games in 2017/8 season and none since. There are loads of players being released as too old for Prem sides U18s that would suit us better.
Login to get fewer ads

Matt Connolly on 19:12 - Jun 25 with 3346 viewsLunarJetman

Matt Connolly on 18:59 - Jun 25 by DavieQPR

If he was considered any good for the Championship then Cardiff would not have let him go. Last played 4 games in 2017/8 season and none since. There are loads of players being released as too old for Prem sides U18s that would suit us better.

Unless of course it was to trim the wage bill...
Matt Connolly on 19:34 - Jun 25 with 3315 viewsaston_hoop

they dont see too bothered

https://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=215636&sid=6425b701549251

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Matt Connolly on 20:18 - Jun 25 with 3251 viewsfrancisbowles

If he has only played 4 games in 3 years then it would be a big gamble to assume he could play more for us.

We could do with someone with experience, has played a reasonable amount of games in the last couple of years without being a regular at this level or higher and is happy to be a back up to Barbet and Masterson or Gubbins etc.
Matt Connolly on 20:20 - Jun 25 with 3249 viewsbosh67

Matt Connolly on 18:49 - Jun 25 by Boston

He was a strange cove, but we’ve had plenty of ‘em. A steady performance one week, then god awful mistakes the next.

Steady one week, awful the next. Sounds perfect. Get him back in.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Matt Connolly on 21:04 - Jun 25 with 3204 viewspaulparker

I liked him , good steady player for us

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Matt Connolly on 07:58 - Jun 26 with 2988 viewsWatford_Ranger

It’s going to be absolute carnage with supply of players released increased v demand for them decreased. Some really decent players will be struggling to find a league club let alone a Championship one so, much as I liked Connolly, I think we can afford to wait and see what’s out there as someone who three months ago would’ve been out of our budget might be happy to accept a mere £500k a year or so.
Matt Connolly on 08:11 - Jun 26 with 2977 viewsLoftgirl

Matt Connolly on 20:20 - Jun 25 by bosh67

Steady one week, awful the next. Sounds perfect. Get him back in.

So, if he plays well one week, don't play him the next. Simple.
Matt Connolly on 14:28 - Jun 26 with 2852 viewsNorthernr

Earliest I've ever left a game was Peterborough away when we had Priskin and Bent up front. 1-0 down, down to ten men, pathetic, came away just after half time. Got back in the bar at The Great Northern for a beer before the train and got chatting to a geezer in there. Turned out to by Connolly's brother, who'd left at the same time for the same reason. "I'm not staying to watch him play like that."

Decent player, liked him a lot.
Matt Connolly on 14:36 - Jun 26 with 2835 viewsextratimeR

I remember him well, [ARSENAL originally], very consistent, very good ball playing Central defender, age not a huge issue in this position, Webb, McLintock etc, cast of thousands.
Matt Connolly on 14:53 - Jun 26 with 2802 viewsrsonist

Could do worse, injuries depending.

I see Omar Bogle's been released with him so that's enough goals for promotion too.
Matt Connolly on 14:57 - Jun 26 with 2796 viewskensalriser

Nail on head.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Matt Connolly on 15:04 - Jun 26 with 2784 viewsMarc

Return of the Matt
Matt Connolly on 15:33 - Jun 26 with 2757 viewsDannytheR

Always thought it was a shame he didn't get more of a chance once we went up. Wasn't like he could have been any worse than Anton Ferdinand. Now though? Feels like that ship sailed a few ships ago.
Matt Connolly on 17:09 - Jun 26 with 2685 viewsTacticalR

Post-mortem from when Connolly left in 2012:
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/17935/connolly-cut

Air hostess clique

Matt Connolly on 17:20 - Jun 26 with 2673 viewsrsonist

Matt Connolly on 15:33 - Jun 26 by DannytheR

Always thought it was a shame he didn't get more of a chance once we went up. Wasn't like he could have been any worse than Anton Ferdinand. Now though? Feels like that ship sailed a few ships ago.

Also see Gabbidon for Gorkss. Remind me again where the rot started.
Matt Connolly on 17:36 - Jun 26 with 2649 viewsNorthernr

Matt Connolly on 17:09 - Jun 26 by TacticalR

Post-mortem from when Connolly left in 2012:
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/17935/connolly-cut

"Hopefully this will change as Mike Rigg’s influence is felt."

Great times.
Matt Connolly on 17:42 - Jun 26 with 2646 viewsNorthernr

Matt Connolly on 17:20 - Jun 26 by rsonist

Also see Gabbidon for Gorkss. Remind me again where the rot started.

Gorkss out and Perone in was the low point of that summer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024