Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Euro's/Scotland 10:13 - Jun 23 with 3437 viewsMorrisD52

It's about time that Scotland realised that they are not as good as they think they are
Euro's/Scotland on 10:26 - Jun 23 with 2795 viewsRangersDave

in pretty much everything!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Euro's/Scotland on 10:31 - Jun 23 with 2771 viewseghamranger

Totally agree but I don’t think they do think that . They have decent support and last weekend they treated it as a lads trip away as we all aren’t having holidays.

And I’m half Scottish as my dads from Aberdeen and I still have family there.
Euro's/Scotland on 10:37 - Jun 23 with 2753 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Admittedly I don't know that many Scottish people, but those I do know overwhelmingly agree that they are not very good at all. Like most nations, including England I'd say, after a decent result or two they get a temporary inflated sense of being world beaters before they're brought back down to earth and realise their mediocrity.
Euro's/Scotland on 10:53 - Jun 23 with 2706 viewsMorrisD52

Euro's/Scotland on 10:37 - Jun 23 by Orthodox_Hoop

Admittedly I don't know that many Scottish people, but those I do know overwhelmingly agree that they are not very good at all. Like most nations, including England I'd say, after a decent result or two they get a temporary inflated sense of being world beaters before they're brought back down to earth and realise their mediocrity.

Yeh I think you are right the newspapers blow up a fair result like last night and turn us into world beaters , I think we will come to the end of the road in our next game i hope not but
Germany France looked good, maybe Portugal we may have a chance
Euro's/Scotland on 10:57 - Jun 23 with 2678 viewslightwaterhoop

For a small country Scotland used to produce so many great players every English side would have a smattering of Scots and the Scottish club sides would have very good players as well.Why this dried up i have no idea because the Scots love their football.
Euro's/Scotland on 11:12 - Jun 23 with 2635 viewsBoston

Euro's/Scotland on 10:57 - Jun 23 by lightwaterhoop

For a small country Scotland used to produce so many great players every English side would have a smattering of Scots and the Scottish club sides would have very good players as well.Why this dried up i have no idea because the Scots love their football.

Why so few Scots…step forward the rest of the world.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Euro's/Scotland on 11:15 - Jun 23 with 2628 viewscolinallcars

Bloody Scotland ! What have they ever given us ? Well, apart from great inventors, engineers, writers, doctors, explorers, soldiers, whisky, oil, gas, ships.
But apart from that…..
Euro's/Scotland on 11:25 - Jun 23 with 2603 viewsMorrisD52

Euro's/Scotland on 11:15 - Jun 23 by colinallcars

Bloody Scotland ! What have they ever given us ? Well, apart from great inventors, engineers, writers, doctors, explorers, soldiers, whisky, oil, gas, ships.
But apart from that…..

I love Scotland had many happy holidays up there in the Dumfries and Galloway area nice people very friendly, If they do get another Referendum I hope they vote no
Login to get fewer ads

Euro's/Scotland on 11:28 - Jun 23 with 2592 viewsslmrstid

I know its fun to poke fun at Scotland, but if I was them I'd be looking at the success Wales are enjoying and asking why they can't achieve that sort of success as well. And arguably there is no reason for them to not aim to emulate what Wales have done over the past few years.

In fact, to go further you can say there's a number of nations Scotland's size doing more with less resources/players. Much like we look at ourselves at QPR and compare ourselves to similar size clubs doing better than us (other than last season of course!)
Euro's/Scotland on 11:57 - Jun 23 with 2533 viewskensalriser

If this is true then it's also true for England to the power of 10.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Euro's/Scotland on 12:08 - Jun 23 with 2502 viewsJuzzie

Euro's/Scotland on 11:28 - Jun 23 by slmrstid

I know its fun to poke fun at Scotland, but if I was them I'd be looking at the success Wales are enjoying and asking why they can't achieve that sort of success as well. And arguably there is no reason for them to not aim to emulate what Wales have done over the past few years.

In fact, to go further you can say there's a number of nations Scotland's size doing more with less resources/players. Much like we look at ourselves at QPR and compare ourselves to similar size clubs doing better than us (other than last season of course!)

Belgium too. For a small country (11.5mllion) they've been brilliant for a few years now.

Most countries like this tend to produce one or two good players at any one time but it's not enough for success. They need a whole team of players to all be good at the same time. Belgium have just that.
Is that just great timing or is there an infrastructure in place? The Netherlands, for example, have 17m people but have generally always been right up there on the international stage.

I know North Macedonia lost all three games (but ithey did win at Germany, Germany, in the qualifiers) but I really enjoyed watching them and Pandev in particular. His chipped goal (disallowed for offside unfortunately) was genius.
Euro's/Scotland on 12:59 - Jun 23 with 2426 viewsMrSheen

Euro's/Scotland on 12:08 - Jun 23 by Juzzie

Belgium too. For a small country (11.5mllion) they've been brilliant for a few years now.

Most countries like this tend to produce one or two good players at any one time but it's not enough for success. They need a whole team of players to all be good at the same time. Belgium have just that.
Is that just great timing or is there an infrastructure in place? The Netherlands, for example, have 17m people but have generally always been right up there on the international stage.

I know North Macedonia lost all three games (but ithey did win at Germany, Germany, in the qualifiers) but I really enjoyed watching them and Pandev in particular. His chipped goal (disallowed for offside unfortunately) was genius.

Lots of things go into success - infrastructure, money, culture, patience. Some countries always seem to have them, such as Germany and Italy, France and Spain have built them, and England seem to have finally set up on the right path. From the disastrous unravelling of the "golden generation" after 2005, there seemed to be a realisation throughout the game that we had to change how we developed players, in playing style, facilities, coaching structure and motivation, and it has started to pay dividends in player development - unprecedented success at junior levels, at least when Boothroyd isn't involved - and individual skill.

As for Scotland, it is clear they are falling behind countries their size that don't have all of those elements in place, but are still outperforming them. Denmark is a rich country, but are Portugal, Croatia, or (further afield) Uruguay, who all consistently terrify bigger nations (well, England at least)? Is it weather keeping kids indoors, are Scots really not that interested in football? If you look at European countries their size, the only ones as consistently poor in recent tournaments are places like Finland (other games to play?), Norway (watch this space!) and Bulgaria. Terrible weather and lack of football tradition didn't hold back Iceland.

Which leads me on to another thing...is it random bad luck that the Scots haven't struck gold recently like Wales (Giggs and Bale), Bulgaria (Stoichkov), Norway (Haaland), and produced a superstar who can elevate a whole team? Robertson and Tierney are probably the best Scottish players since McAllister, and he wasn't that good. Do Wales (and I suppose Ireland) do better because they send young players to England for professional development rather than keep them in their own league?
Scotland did OK on 13:27 - Jun 23 with 2342 viewsdanehoop

So they managed to qualify for the competition - no easy task. They did well against the Czechs, but lost a comparatively close match. They played better than England when we played them and managed to get a draw against us at Wembley. They then ran out of steam against the Czechs having lost one of their better players for Covid reasons - which was much more impactful event on them given the relative lack of quality/experience in their squad.

I seriously doubt that they think there are better than they are. They had a great result against England, generally performed well and had a chance to qualify for the next stage right up until the last game. Most Scotland fans probably felt they achieved as well as could be expected in the circumstances and made a very ordinary England team look very ordinary.

Scotland had no expectations of automatically playing Brazil like football every game and sweeping aside all opponents before them because they are best. I'd suggest the support and media of another home nation probably is more justified in being accused of not being as good as they think they are (and I don't mean Wales).

Never knowingly understood

Euro's/Scotland on 13:47 - Jun 23 with 2295 viewsted_hendrix

A great Nation of extremely proud and patriotic people, good luck to them in the future.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Euro's/Scotland on 14:00 - Jun 23 with 2271 viewsMorrisD52

Euro's/Scotland on 12:59 - Jun 23 by MrSheen

Lots of things go into success - infrastructure, money, culture, patience. Some countries always seem to have them, such as Germany and Italy, France and Spain have built them, and England seem to have finally set up on the right path. From the disastrous unravelling of the "golden generation" after 2005, there seemed to be a realisation throughout the game that we had to change how we developed players, in playing style, facilities, coaching structure and motivation, and it has started to pay dividends in player development - unprecedented success at junior levels, at least when Boothroyd isn't involved - and individual skill.

As for Scotland, it is clear they are falling behind countries their size that don't have all of those elements in place, but are still outperforming them. Denmark is a rich country, but are Portugal, Croatia, or (further afield) Uruguay, who all consistently terrify bigger nations (well, England at least)? Is it weather keeping kids indoors, are Scots really not that interested in football? If you look at European countries their size, the only ones as consistently poor in recent tournaments are places like Finland (other games to play?), Norway (watch this space!) and Bulgaria. Terrible weather and lack of football tradition didn't hold back Iceland.

Which leads me on to another thing...is it random bad luck that the Scots haven't struck gold recently like Wales (Giggs and Bale), Bulgaria (Stoichkov), Norway (Haaland), and produced a superstar who can elevate a whole team? Robertson and Tierney are probably the best Scottish players since McAllister, and he wasn't that good. Do Wales (and I suppose Ireland) do better because they send young players to England for professional development rather than keep them in their own league?

A small illustration of what was wrong with the coaching system in this country , A nephew of mine was a beautiful player he had everything touch control scored goals could hit a 40 yard pass onto a sixpence . Luton Fc pick him up he spent 3 years there the first two were great playing in Holland France and Germany and of course all over the UK there coach told win lose or draw I don't care play your game .Sadly he left and the new coach was a throw t the 50's he said to me " If I had to chose between a talented player and an aggressive one I would pick the aggressive player every time " and he proceeded to do so all the good talented boys gradually disappeared including my nephew . I think his attitude must have prevail at many clubs
Euro's/Scotland on 14:28 - Jun 23 with 2233 viewsMrSheen

Euro's/Scotland on 14:00 - Jun 23 by MorrisD52

A small illustration of what was wrong with the coaching system in this country , A nephew of mine was a beautiful player he had everything touch control scored goals could hit a 40 yard pass onto a sixpence . Luton Fc pick him up he spent 3 years there the first two were great playing in Holland France and Germany and of course all over the UK there coach told win lose or draw I don't care play your game .Sadly he left and the new coach was a throw t the 50's he said to me " If I had to chose between a talented player and an aggressive one I would pick the aggressive player every time " and he proceeded to do so all the good talented boys gradually disappeared including my nephew . I think his attitude must have prevail at many clubs

I can believe it, sadly. Fast forward to yesterday, and England pick Saka who wouldn't be the biggest lad in an Under 13s game and suddenly look half-decent.
Euro's/Scotland on 14:30 - Jun 23 with 2231 viewsPinnerPaul

Came up in a quiz, so not being clever, but only 1 Scot has ever won the European Player of The Year and that was?......................................Denis Law.
Euro's/Scotland on 14:43 - Jun 23 with 2212 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Don’t really concur with the OP’s assessment but this made me chuckle none the less:

https://www.facebook.com/338233632988842/posts/4494735917338572/?d=n
Euro's/Scotland on 14:44 - Jun 23 with 2207 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Euro's/Scotland on 14:30 - Jun 23 by PinnerPaul

Came up in a quiz, so not being clever, but only 1 Scot has ever won the European Player of The Year and that was?......................................Denis Law.

How many English?
Euro's/Scotland on 14:46 - Jun 23 with 2201 viewsPinnerPaul

Euro's/Scotland on 14:44 - Jun 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

How many English?

No idea, that wasn't a question!

No mate, don't worry I'll look it up for you!

Wait there!
Euro's/Scotland on 14:50 - Jun 23 with 2187 viewsPinnerPaul

Euro's/Scotland on 14:46 - Jun 23 by PinnerPaul

Wait there!

4 players, 5 wins (Keegan won it twice)

Matthews, Owen and Charlton (Bobby) the other winners.
Euro's/Scotland on 14:51 - Jun 23 with 2184 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Wait there!

Matthews,
Charlton
Keegan twice
Owen?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Euro's/Scotland on 14:52 - Jun 23 with 2180 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Euro's/Scotland on 14:51 - Jun 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Matthews,
Charlton
Keegan twice
Owen?

Yay me!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Euro's/Scotland on 15:02 - Jun 23 with 2151 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Wait there!

Ah, Mis read your post 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thanks for playing Google anyway haha
Euro's/Scotland on 15:16 - Jun 23 with 2123 viewsPinnerPaul

Euro's/Scotland on 14:51 - Jun 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Matthews,
Charlton
Keegan twice
Owen?

Very very impressive mate.

I think you may have got more than the 40/80 I got in the quiz!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024