Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. 22:09 - Jan 30 with 4277 viewsted_hendrix

Way back in 1972 I was rather stupidly devastated, I loved the bloke and loved watching him play, couldn't believe it at the time that he was leaving us.
Stan came and went as did my all time favourite player Dave Thomas and what about Paul Parker? this bloke had it all and along with Alan McDonald were our two best defenders of all time, Paul Parker had the heading ability of someone seven bloody foot tall, he just filled you with confidence, another one was Clive Wilson? the most silkiest of defenders (cool as f uck).
Anyone remember when Siir Les came back with the bloody Geordies? the bastards the complete and utter bastards.
Why don't these other clubs leave us alone.
Anyway Nahki Wells will be going soon, I suppose that bloke from Sky will have multiple orgasms when he announces it and Redcrap will wind down his window in his Vauxhall Viva and announce to World a big pile of bullshit and someone somewhere will faint.

Nahki Wells didn't belong to us, he was only borrowing our blue and white shirt, the above named players belonged to us, they were part of us, part of our club.
I missed them when they went.
Not quite sure what I'm waffling on about if i'm honest.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 22:14 - Jan 30 with 3592 viewsJuzzie

Managers too. Well, one.

Never forget the day I saw in the newspapers that Terry Venables was going to Barcelona.
Gutted, absolutely gutted. Don’t think I’ve ever felt the same, not even when Gerry Francis went the first time or Warnock too.

[Post edited 30 Jan 2020 22:16]
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 22:14 - Jan 30 with 3588 viewslongbottom

Ah, but I know exactly what you're waffling on about.
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 22:15 - Jan 30 with 3575 viewsRog

Nearly 50 years later I'm still upset that we sold Rodney.

Meanwhile, Wells still hasn't update his social media profile. Still in a QPR Shirt.
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 22:50 - Jan 30 with 3486 viewsVancouverHoop

When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 22:15 - Jan 30 by Rog

Nearly 50 years later I'm still upset that we sold Rodney.

Meanwhile, Wells still hasn't update his social media profile. Still in a QPR Shirt.

Ah, but if we hadn't sold Rodney we'd never have had Stan. Could you see them playing in the same team together? Oil and water wouldn't begin to describe it.
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 23:05 - Jan 30 with 3441 viewsqprxtc

God bless Ted!
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 23:19 - Jan 30 with 3405 viewsmylot50years

Yes me also I was all over the place when Rodney moved to city couldn't understand how we could let him go.
And then we signed this bloke from Carlisle for 110,000 a Gordon Jago masterstroke after his first game Preston at home I think, we won the game and on his debut Stan Bowles was fantastic and the pain of losing Rodney suddenly became bearable.
Personally I thought Stan was a better all round player than Rodney, away from home at times Rodney had the habit of going through the motions, where with Stan you could guarantee home and away he would put in a performance not only to wind up the opposing team but also their supporters.
Two truly great players in the history of QPR.
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 23:24 - Jan 30 with 3393 views100percent

Right up until my mother died last year, she used to delight in telling all and sundry about the day when Rodney was sold and I cried and hid behind the curtains in the living room. I was devastated. Obviously Stanley followed and my heart was whole again but I still remember those halcyon days of Rodney.......
we are so lucky to have had an amazing succession of maverick talented players. That will carry on..... they do come and go. But we remain. In our blood.
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 00:02 - Jan 31 with 3336 viewsted_hendrix

I Idolized both Rod and Stan in equal measures the thing about Rodney Marsh is he was the first QPR legend I ever clapped eyes on and he belonged to us.

I couldn't understand how or why the owner of another club some big fat bastard in a pin striped suit could walk into our club and get his fat f ucking wallet out and say something along the lines "I like your boy Marsh, I'm bloody well loaded and here's a big pile of cash cos I know your skint, take the dosh and I'll take him off of your hands sign here" and he was gone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My introduction to the transfer market, hated it then and still do to this day, tomorrow will be yet another day of ridiculously over acting dickheads from Sky screaming down their microphones about nothing except cash, cash and more bloody cash and how much ah bolox to it.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 00:25 - Jan 31 with 3298 viewsNov77

Here you go, Rodney playing for England in 1972 at Scotchland, he didn’t have the greatest game to be honest and at one point Alan ball has a bit of a go at him....think he had just moved to city when this match took place

Did Brian Moore really say the crowd was 134,000?

[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 0:29]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 06:56 - Jan 31 with 3157 viewsElHoop

Was Rodney Marsh the only (former) QPR player to make it onto an album sleeve? Definitely or Maybe?

When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 09:01 - Jan 31 with 3049 views2Thomas2Bowles

My name is....

Anyway, Well's is now one of my all-time legends, forever R's and all that, innit.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 09:59 - Jan 31 with 2988 viewsPinnerPaul

Marsh, Bowles, Thomas and strangely Dave Needham are the ones I really got 'upset' about
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 10:06 - Jan 31 with 2967 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great post, Ted.

Dave Thomas was my mortality moment. I was nine and, like you with Rodney, I just couldn't understand it. My ol' man didn't know what to say to me either. Great, Dad, not the time to stop being a Superhero.

Did we get much for Thomas? And why did he leave only one year after the 75-76 season?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 10:11 - Jan 31 with 2959 viewskernowhoop

Ball, Storey and Hunter in England's midfield. Bremner for the Scots. A few bruises to be nursed after that match.
Yes - Hampden Park could accommodate 134,000.
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 10:15 - Jan 31 with 2945 viewsterryb

I remember it well Ted & there were many who vowed to never go to Rangers again. The strange thing was that our results improved immediately. If he had gone a month earlier we might heve been promoted!

The removal of Alec Stock was the lowest blow I can recall with the sales of Phil Parkes, Dave Thomas & Paul Goddard very hard to take. Goddard especially.

In recent times Faurlin & Hill not being allowed to say goodbye to the supporters also rankles.

Wells & Leistner going in this transfer window don't rate on any of my scales!
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 10:19 - Jan 31 with 2938 viewsTacticalR

When Marsh was interviewed on Talksport about his career, this is what he said about how he lost Man City the Championship:

'I played a very individual game...so the other players had to fit around me, and most of the Man City players were great enough players to be able to do that. It's just that I upset the balance of the team by holding the ball sometimes where they were used to playing quick one-twos.'

I think this is why Eze had a problem in academies.

Air hostess clique

When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 10:19 - Jan 31 with 2937 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I wised up when Clive Allen left, a blow compounded by Paul Goddard departing as well. Such a great forward line and only in its infancy.

By the time Allen left us again, the disappointment was not such a factor; of course Gary Bannister helped soften the departure.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 13:34 - Jan 31 with 2823 viewsToast_R

I was working par time at Co-Op at the time having just finished School summer of 95 when my mum told me just before leaving for work that afternoon that Les had been sold to Newcastle "The rotten Sod" her words...

That was a major heartbreak and you naturally felt then that QPR were bang in the mire.
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 14:51 - Jan 31 with 2737 viewsloftus77

When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 10:11 - Jan 31 by kernowhoop

Ball, Storey and Hunter in England's midfield. Bremner for the Scots. A few bruises to be nursed after that match.
Yes - Hampden Park could accommodate 134,000.

Yep - there were some huge historical attendances in Scottish football, particularly at Hampden, but also, not surprisingly, Ibrox/Parkhead.

I think Hibs used to get crowds of 60,000 in their post WW2 glory days. 132,000+ crammed in to Hampden to watch the great Hearts team beat Celtic for the Scottish Cup in 1956.

The record (Celtic/Aberdeen?) is something like 147,000. Incredible.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 14:52]
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 14:54 - Jan 31 with 2725 viewsgazza1

I devastated me when Rodney left us but it was always going to happen.......we are a selling club.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 14:54]
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 15:34 - Jan 31 with 2670 viewsrrrspricey

When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 14:54 - Jan 31 by gazza1

I devastated me when Rodney left us but it was always going to happen.......we are a selling club.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 14:54]

I actually cried when Rodney went to Citeh. He was my first hero and I insisted pets of the entire family were named after him
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 17:08 - Jan 31 with 2590 viewscharmr

I still have the sun newspaper when Rangers sold him. He’s sitting on his lotus Elan.

He’s on the radio everyday here in the morning called ‘grumpy pundits’

They only talk about the big boys naturally and he’s good if not a cantankerous sod at times.

The asked once what made you fall in love with football. I phoned in and said the no10 shirt at QPR worn by himself and Stanley.

The other guy, back of the old onion bag, fella isn’t keen on Rodney getting praise.
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 17:32 - Jan 31 with 2558 viewsHantsR

I can't find the reference, but I remember Leslie Thomas, author of The Virgin Soldiers, saying on TV how he would love to be Rodney Marsh out there on the pitch at Loftus Road, scoring goals and getting the adulation of the crowd; then subsequently writing, possibly in the Rs programme? that he remembered when he was out in Tahiti or somewhere like that and his mate had sent him a telegram saying that Rodney had been sold to City - 'that's show business, Victor' I think Mr Thomas' interest in QPR must have faded after that as some years later he appeared on a Pro-Am golf match (with Peter Allis?) stating, when asked about which team he supported - I was primed reday to hear the magic three letters - but he said he followed the Arsenal! (I think - not the Rs anyway) I was mortified. He lived near me and I was minded to go round his place and sort him out, but he's gone now, anyway. I too was devastated about Rodney going, but it was quite noticeable how well the Rs played as a team after his departure. Stan's arrival relatively soon after was a great moment in our history.
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 18:33 - Jan 31 with 2507 viewsSedgemoorHoop

I too was devastated. At the same time Terry Venables was suffering from a deep-lying pelvic injury and missed the rest of the 1971-72 season and a number of other experienced players (including Frank Saul) were sold.

And yet after Rodney's sale we were undefeated in our remaining 12 league games. Venables returned from his long-term injury for the start of the 1972-73 season and we went a further 8 league games before suffering a 4 - 1 stuffing at Hull (after scoring first). I was at their old Boothferry Park stadium that night and felt even worse at the end of that remarkable 20 game undefeated league run than I did when Rodney left us.

Anyway, the point of my old man's waffle is that you can never be certain that the departure of a favourite will be a disaster.
When We Sold Rodney Marsh. on 18:58 - Jan 31 with 2474 viewsWrightUp5hit___

I too still feel the pain of Rodney's transfer. He had arrived at Loftus Road just a few years after my Dad and Uncle had started to take me along with them to Rangers, every other Saturday. While there were heroes like Laz, Rodney was just on a different level both on the pitch and in his attitude off the pitch. While others drove Ford Cortinas, Rodders had a Lotus Elan!

I still remember the story of him turning up for a pre season tour with no luggage. When asked where his gear was, he patted a toothbrush, poking out of his breast pocket.

As to Hampden, still got the record for a UEFA game, European Cup match between Celtic and Leeds United in 1970 was attended by 136,505. Unlikely ever to be beaten now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024