Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries 13:05 - Apr 25 with 3498 viewsnumptydumpty

Apparently this season, more than any other sports science has been utilised consistently ie so players returning or those with a higher chance of recurring troubles, the odds against them being on sidelines once more is greatly lessened.

Am sure also we got whole team of sports scientists who highlight the data and communicate the correct way back for a player or clever use of player without over playing.

Players have been taken off when playing really well after 60 minutes for this exact reason. Although often this has been a turning point the game as it has often greatly affected the rhythm and momentum of several games but if it prevents unnecessary injuries going forwards, then fair enough.

BUT THIS SEASON HAS BEEN THE WORST FOR INJURIES IN LIVING MEMORY !!!

Could this over reliance on technology and statistics be communicated to myself as I don't get it !!!! Given statement above.

And whoever is our goalkeeping fitness guru, could you please apply for a job at a club nearby who are also currently recruiting for new owners. There you go.. Be a good chap.. 😝😝
[Post edited 25 Apr 2022 13:09]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 13:09 - Apr 25 with 3112 viewswombat

been saying this for a few weeks , last season was shorted with more back to back games yet we had a lot less of these injuires than we are getting this season , when the club have the ned of season meeting with the management team this has to be made a major talking point as its beyond mad this season with the long term hamstirng inuires we have had

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 14:20 - Apr 25 with 3006 viewsPinnerPaul

Marshall did his shoulder saving a pen and Dieng got kicked in the thigh - it would take some 'fitness' coach to stop those, as I'm sure is the case with plenty of our injuries!
Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 15:52 - Apr 25 with 2907 viewsOldPedro

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 14:20 - Apr 25 by PinnerPaul

Marshall did his shoulder saving a pen and Dieng got kicked in the thigh - it would take some 'fitness' coach to stop those, as I'm sure is the case with plenty of our injuries!

Think it was Archer who did his shoulder saving a pen - Marshall was hamstring on very wet & heavy pitch at Forest, probably aggravated by staying on as we didn't have any subs left.

Walsh is a hand injury sustained during training - occupational hazard for a goalkeeper

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 16:04 - Apr 25 with 2884 viewsTacticalR

Isn't this yet another example of the very thing that we were hailing as a stroke of genius a few months ago is now considered to be the problem?

Air hostess clique

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 16:48 - Apr 25 with 2839 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 16:04 - Apr 25 by TacticalR

Isn't this yet another example of the very thing that we were hailing as a stroke of genius a few months ago is now considered to be the problem?

The 'very thing' you refer to: is it playing football?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 17:37 - Apr 25 with 2771 viewsnumptydumpty

The comment with regards goalkeepers was flippant tongue in cheek remark, not a serious comment. Sorry my sense humour bit shite.

But in general just highlighting all this so called reliance on data and we have had our worst season ever for injuries..

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 17:43 - Apr 25 with 2756 viewsnumptydumpty

Was really just highlighting inconsistencies between this sport science thing ie Taking off form players because they would get injured , according to stats, due to sports science advice.

And all I am trying to say is , we have still had the worst run of injuries in a season in my memory banks, but we have all technology to hand, followed all recommendations and it has been spectacularly unsuccessful in keeping our squad injury free.

Is it spectacular bad luck or if we hadn't followed the science would we have been in a spectacularly worse scenario.

My view is - I DOUBT IT !!!!!
[Post edited 25 Apr 2022 17:44]

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 18:09 - Apr 25 with 2725 viewsR_from_afar

Exactly. Not all injuries fall into the same category.

I am no expert but an injury which results from overuse of a slightly strained muscle probably can be predicted and prevented but it falls into a different category to impact injuries, e.g. when some runs into a post, gets kicked, stood on etc.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Login to get fewer ads

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 21:44 - Apr 25 with 2568 viewswombat

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 18:09 - Apr 25 by R_from_afar

Exactly. Not all injuries fall into the same category.

I am no expert but an injury which results from overuse of a slightly strained muscle probably can be predicted and prevented but it falls into a different category to impact injuries, e.g. when some runs into a post, gets kicked, stood on etc.

Ps dieng is rumoured to have done his thigh before the forest game and hid it it from the management team ,

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 07:24 - Apr 26 with 2476 viewsslmrstid

Ultimately, whilst it has its benefits in modern day load management, its not a magic bullet and isn't going to prevent every injury going.

It also isn't going to prevent injuries from players being kicked up into the air every thirty seconds without punishment such as poor Willock suffered.
Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 08:34 - Apr 26 with 2433 viewsTheChef

Well it will prevent injuries to a certain extent - but you can't legislate for opposition players kicking your players and putting them out of action. As in the cases of Dieng and Willock.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 08:36 - Apr 26 with 2432 viewsdavman

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 21:44 - Apr 25 by wombat

Ps dieng is rumoured to have done his thigh before the forest game and hid it it from the management team ,

This would make some sense because I have always been puzzled how Gallagher's challenge would have resulted in the injury Seny took...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 08:41 - Apr 26 with 2421 viewsdaveB

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 08:36 - Apr 26 by davman

This would make some sense because I have always been puzzled how Gallagher's challenge would have resulted in the injury Seny took...

He took a high kick to his groin, was a nasty tackle. I don't think there is anything else to it
Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 08:42 - Apr 26 with 2419 viewsTheChef

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 08:36 - Apr 26 by davman

Ha - yes intriguing as I thought Gallagher caught Dieng around his lower shin/ankle, hence not sufficient for him to go off unless it was a really bad impact.

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 08:57 - Apr 26 with 2389 viewsbosh67

I think next season we should go down the Monty Python "It's just a flesh wound" route.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 11:20 - Apr 26 with 2298 viewsolderR

I know an injury would result in a longer absence but it makes me chuckle that to avoid an injury that might not happen the player misses a game anyway.
Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 11:56 - Apr 26 with 2237 viewsdaveB

Warburton has done this from day 1, he is very keen on data and sports science. Marc Pugh used to go off on 60 mins every week. Last season Austin and Johansen used to go off around the 60 minute mark, idea was better to get an hour of them at their best than risk losing them for 2/3 games. When you go off data it is always about how you use that information and when you have a team with 4/5 over 30's in your team where the data says they should only play an hour that does limit the number of subs you can make and has had an impact on us this season. I think at times we've been guilty of watching the numbers rather than the matches to make decisions.

It's quite interesting though this is all now something the manager is doing wrong, when you look at the previous manager he was slated for over playing players and never changing anything. I'm sure whatever approach the next fella does will receive similar criticisms if it goes wrong, there isn't really a right or perfect way to do things.
Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 12:36 - Apr 26 with 2204 viewsTheChef

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 11:56 - Apr 26 by daveB

Warburton has done this from day 1, he is very keen on data and sports science. Marc Pugh used to go off on 60 mins every week. Last season Austin and Johansen used to go off around the 60 minute mark, idea was better to get an hour of them at their best than risk losing them for 2/3 games. When you go off data it is always about how you use that information and when you have a team with 4/5 over 30's in your team where the data says they should only play an hour that does limit the number of subs you can make and has had an impact on us this season. I think at times we've been guilty of watching the numbers rather than the matches to make decisions.

It's quite interesting though this is all now something the manager is doing wrong, when you look at the previous manager he was slated for over playing players and never changing anything. I'm sure whatever approach the next fella does will receive similar criticisms if it goes wrong, there isn't really a right or perfect way to do things.

Whoever the next manager is, should be sacked now to save time.

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 14:58 - Apr 26 with 2075 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 12:36 - Apr 26 by TheChef

Whoever the next manager is, should be sacked now to save time.

And not before time. Too many of his changes have been baffling, and it's a relief that we're rid of him before we fall off that cliff he would have taken us over. Plus, I'm pretty sure he already lost the dressing room, even before he found it.

Bare bones.

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 15:05 - Apr 26 with 2059 viewsdavman

You are right.

Amazing in hindsight that what you say about Johansen and Austin was so true - neither trusted to last more than 60 minutes and yet we gave them 3 and 2 year deals. Even if they found some form this season, with that fitness it'd only be the equivalent of 30 games. And to think we loaned out De Wijs for that sort of injury record.

Can we go out yet?

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 15:08 - Apr 26 with 2053 viewsPinnerPaul

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 15:52 - Apr 25 by OldPedro

Think it was Archer who did his shoulder saving a pen - Marshall was hamstring on very wet & heavy pitch at Forest, probably aggravated by staying on as we didn't have any subs left.

Walsh is a hand injury sustained during training - occupational hazard for a goalkeeper

Fool! - Sorry of course it was!
Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 15:31 - Apr 26 with 2019 viewsfrancisbowles

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 15:05 - Apr 26 by davman

You are right.

Amazing in hindsight that what you say about Johansen and Austin was so true - neither trusted to last more than 60 minutes and yet we gave them 3 and 2 year deals. Even if they found some form this season, with that fitness it'd only be the equivalent of 30 games. And to think we loaned out De Wijs for that sort of injury record.

Johansen wouldn't have signed if we hadn't and the same is probably true of Austin.

De Wijs, imho, was loaned out because he had been injured and we wanted to get him regular games. If he stayed here he wasn't going to get enough minutes as Dickie and Dunne were doing well.

We go again with Jordi next season, he seems to have done well at Fortuna Dusseldorf. He has made 10 appearances, only subbed in 3 and all around the 75-80 minute mark. Only missed one game and that is reportedly down to CV. Still has two years on his contract and most likely a one year option as well.
Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 16:34 - Apr 26 with 1953 viewsdavman

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 15:31 - Apr 26 by francisbowles

Johansen wouldn't have signed if we hadn't and the same is probably true of Austin.

De Wijs, imho, was loaned out because he had been injured and we wanted to get him regular games. If he stayed here he wasn't going to get enough minutes as Dickie and Dunne were doing well.

We go again with Jordi next season, he seems to have done well at Fortuna Dusseldorf. He has made 10 appearances, only subbed in 3 and all around the 75-80 minute mark. Only missed one game and that is reportedly down to CV. Still has two years on his contract and most likely a one year option as well.

I bloody hope so. Not only do I think he is our best centre back, he bought a degree of calm and organisation that we really miss when he's not been playing...

And just as I posted this, my son has just told me that De Wijs fractured a rib in his last game for Dusseldorf...

We are cursed.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2022 16:37]

Can we go out yet?

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 16:49 - Apr 26 with 1922 viewsPinnerPaul

Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 16:34 - Apr 26 by davman

I bloody hope so. Not only do I think he is our best centre back, he bought a degree of calm and organisation that we really miss when he's not been playing...

And just as I posted this, my son has just told me that De Wijs fractured a rib in his last game for Dusseldorf...

We are cursed.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2022 16:37]

Stupid Sport Science again eh - can't even prevent a broken rib now!
Sports Science Use to Prevent Injuries on 18:18 - Apr 26 with 1839 viewsKeithW

" I think at times we've been guilty of watching the numbers rather than the matches to make decisions."
Nail firmly hit on head.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024