Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When did music become crap 22:40 - Sep 27 with 4510 viewsqprxtc

I’d say 1983. It’s when I stopped watching top of the pops or listening to music radio. I was 13.

Great music has been made since then but not in the charts or in the general consciousness.

This is fact and also total bollocks. But I’m right.

I loved JoBoxers. Recently Yola is f u Ming brilliant.

I fell off the wagon.

Also really who gives a SH1T about player ratings? Does my head in. Who f ucking cares whose a 6 . 1 or whatever. Nonsense.

Xobblers
When did music become crap on 22:46 - Sep 27 with 3388 viewsSydneyRs

At last a topic everyone can agree on 😄.

For me the downhill run started in the second half of the 90s (with peaks and troughs before then). Loved the indie/britpop period but by the late 90s even many of those bands weren't as good any more.

Hasn't really recovered and so much of today's stuff is just ripping off music from the past and not doing it very well.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2023 22:47]
When did music become crap on 22:54 - Sep 27 with 3353 viewsCateLeBonR

When did music become crap on 23:11 - Sep 27 with 3297 viewsNewBee

Q. When did music become crap?

A. Usually about 25 or 30 years after people who ask this question were born.

The exception to this rule is Sir Michael Caine, who was 76 when he appeared on Desert Island Discs:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pbltz
When did music become crap on 23:17 - Sep 27 with 3286 viewskensalriser

It's always been crap, mostly.

Famously, in 1981 Joe Dolce's Shaddap Your Face kept Ultravox's Vienna off number 1. The Dolce song was crap too.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

When did music become crap on 00:31 - Sep 28 with 3236 viewsNov77

The arrival of stock aitken and waterman did it for me, never watched totp again.

They called it the ‘hit factory’, and that’s what it was, a factory, churning out the same song over and over and just getting a different Aussie soap star to sing it.

Manufactured dirge

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

When did music become crap on 01:26 - Sep 28 with 3188 viewsBoston

It all went downhill after Greensleeves.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

When did music become crap on 02:04 - Sep 28 with 3172 viewsPlanetHonneywood

When did music become crap on 00:31 - Sep 28 by Nov77

The arrival of stock aitken and waterman did it for me, never watched totp again.

They called it the ‘hit factory’, and that’s what it was, a factory, churning out the same song over and over and just getting a different Aussie soap star to sing it.

Manufactured dirge

I remember thinking at the time: I must be getting on if I think modern music is shyte. I was late-teens/early-20s at the time, way to early in life to start moaning about 'today's music'.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

When did music become crap (n/t) on 03:43 - Sep 28 with 3118 viewsVancouverHoop

[Post edited 28 Sep 2023 3:49]
Login to get fewer ads

When did music become crap on 07:54 - Sep 28 with 3055 viewsstevec

When did music become crap on 23:17 - Sep 27 by kensalriser

It's always been crap, mostly.

Famously, in 1981 Joe Dolce's Shaddap Your Face kept Ultravox's Vienna off number 1. The Dolce song was crap too.

Yeah laughed my head off when that happened and at all the gutted people who actually thought Vienna was a great record. It was shit, just like his spitfire obsessed videos.
When did music become crap on 08:22 - Sep 28 with 2994 viewsMetallica_Hoop

There always has and always will be shite music but for me the mid 80's and the electronic drums with the shitty keyboards still sounds bad.

The drums all sound like the ball being kicked in FIFA 95 (second one in)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

When did music become crap on 08:48 - Sep 28 with 2937 viewsDaBurgh

... With the arrival of 'power ballads' in the eighties, that coupled with caterwauling big haired chicks normally called 'Jennifer' was the final nail in the coffin.
When did music become crap on 09:16 - Sep 28 with 2908 viewsderbyhoop

There's always been plenty of crap. In every decade.

But for many of a certain age all new music once you get to about 30 is no longer your taste. Mostly because you listen to stuff from your youth and don't often listen to anything new.

I've managed to compile playlists for each year since 2013, using songs released in the year. I've found Robyn, Sharon van Etten and Kendrick Lamar. Go see the New Music thread and you should find some decent, very modern music.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

When did music become crap on 10:13 - Sep 28 with 2844 viewsCroydonCaptJack

When Punk arrived in the mid seventies it was a big Vs up to the self-indulgent rock crap that was prevalent. We then witnessed probably the best era in music and a great time to be around with Punk, Ska, New Romantic etc and of course New Order.
The mixture of some of the European electronic music fused with Disco led us onto House and all its variations. The yanks exported it to us and we liked it more than them and gave it our own version.
There is still loads of good music around now but in terms of 'popular/chart music' late 70s and 80s were the best.
When did music become crap on 10:45 - Sep 28 with 2762 viewsRs_Holy

When did music become crap on 10:13 - Sep 28 by CroydonCaptJack

When Punk arrived in the mid seventies it was a big Vs up to the self-indulgent rock crap that was prevalent. We then witnessed probably the best era in music and a great time to be around with Punk, Ska, New Romantic etc and of course New Order.
The mixture of some of the European electronic music fused with Disco led us onto House and all its variations. The yanks exported it to us and we liked it more than them and gave it our own version.
There is still loads of good music around now but in terms of 'popular/chart music' late 70s and 80s were the best.

Agree with pretty much everything you said Croydon...

For me mainstream music died in the early 2000’s… As mentioned, music has ebbed and flowed through the decades.
60's were obviously amazing ... (unfortunately a bit before my time). It seems to me that even the novelty records were really good … Goodness Gracious Me and Right Said Fred have come into my head for some reason.
Early 70’s the wheels fell off a bit. A lot of glam rock and cheesy pop (kind of summed up everything about the early 70’s… horrible). Prog rock was the only semi decent thing about the early 70’s but even that was a bit crap at times. Then punk saved the day and made music really interesting for the next 10 years… Too many bands to mention… 1977-1980 was epic. Plus, the Ska revival was cool.
Into the 80’s and post punk/new wave/new romantic music was still very interesting… Seemed every band wanted to be/ sound different and write all their own material. As per the early 70’s, the wheels were severely loosened in 1987… That was a god-awful year … boy bands, Rick Astley and the charts being dominated mainly by Stock Aitkin and Waterman dross… A production line of ‘lets record a few hundred similar sounding tracks and get the next pretty boy/girl in to sing it.’ Original house music made an appearance … the early stuff being cutting edge and cool… Bands like 808 State appeared in the UK … all was good for a while until ‘house’ was highjacked by the mainstream and turned into watered down/boring/predictable dross.
The 90’s IMHO was the last great musical decade… It started with the boy band/girl band sh1t in full flow…. But in the distance a glimmer of hope… the Stone Roses and Primal Scream sounded ‘f’ing amazing and paved the way for Brit Pop and of course the Blur/Oasis phenomenon. So many great bands came to prominence in the 90’s and live guitar was king again… Deep sigh!
The end of the 90’s saw the emergence of Chill Out. I really loved it and still do … Zero 7, Royksopp and Groove Armada being some of my favourites … Not everyone’s cup of tea but still interesting and a bit different.
So it’s the early 2000’s for me when music petered out. There are still good bands and decent albums being made today but they are too few IMHO. Its all gone a bit safe again… its too easy to sample/cut and paste/synthesize/auto tune sounds and vocals nowadays in what ever music software you are using.
It’s gone all Safe/Disposable/Predictable… ‘lets play along to a backing track but still call it live music'… (its not live). I really hope proper bands and proper live performances make a come back but, in all honesty, I think we are more likely to see AI take over as per the ABBA thang that is really popular… I suppose there’s still live music in a few pubs/clubs on a Friday night … Liverpool is probably the best place I’ve been to for live music on a Friday night.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2023 12:05]
When did music become crap on 11:12 - Sep 28 with 2716 viewsTheChef

1984 was the last great year for pop music.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

When did music become crap on 11:30 - Sep 28 with 2697 viewsQPRSteve

The advent of Punk. Been pretty much downhill ever since apart from the odd band like Porcupine Tree.

Big shout for Tony Blackburn who singlehandedly turned me off daytime Radio 1 and TOTP. How I detest him.
When did music become crap on 11:44 - Sep 28 with 2675 viewsTheChef

When did music become crap on 11:30 - Sep 28 by QPRSteve

The advent of Punk. Been pretty much downhill ever since apart from the odd band like Porcupine Tree.

Big shout for Tony Blackburn who singlehandedly turned me off daytime Radio 1 and TOTP. How I detest him.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

When did music become crap on 12:00 - Sep 28 with 2648 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Late 90s for me. Radiohead OK Computer being the last great album, maybe The Verve Urban Hymes, both 1997.
When did music become crap on 14:05 - Sep 28 with 2525 viewsEsox_Lucius

Music has been crap to the previous generation ever since Thomas Tallis was in his prime.
This topic belongs with the Police are getting younger, kids today have no respect for their elders and things were much better when I was young. cohort of pointless debate.
ALL music is someone's favourite.

The grass is always greener.

When did music become crap on 14:20 - Sep 28 with 2493 viewsMick_S

When did music become crap on 00:31 - Sep 28 by Nov77

Manufactured dirge

Story goes that the letter s fell off the door.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

When did music become crap on 15:23 - Sep 28 with 2434 viewsPaddyhoops

When did music become crap on 08:22 - Sep 28 by Metallica_Hoop

There always has and always will be shite music but for me the mid 80's and the electronic drums with the shitty keyboards still sounds bad.

The drums all sound like the ball being kicked in FIFA 95 (second one in)

Who s worthy of playing top festivals anymore that aren’t in the fifties and sixties. Apart from the arctic monkeys. Nobody .
When Coldplay get albums getting voted in the top
5 albums of all time . I f**king despair.
No incentive for new bands mind. People just steal whatever music is out there now anyway.
No money to be made from it.
Rock n Roll is dead.
When did music become crap on 15:42 - Sep 28 with 2402 viewsnumptydumpty

50s Groundbreaking
60s Free Love and Amazingly Popular
70s Shyte
80s Cheesy
90s Moaning and Miserable
2000s onwards Some good Some great Some dire Some utter tripe

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

When did music become crap on 15:46 - Sep 28 with 2398 viewsted_hendrix

The best decade for music was the 60's.

*When did music become crap*

Fck knows there's been splodge music for ever, the denise of John Peel hasn't helped, turn your radio on right now and instead of hearing new records or any music at all, all you'll hear is an inane and unfunny GONK talking about his or her meaningless and excruciatingly dull life. Said GONK will then put a record on and then proceed to carry on talking about his or her meaningless and excruciatingly dull life whilst the record Is playing.

That Is my theory.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

When did music become crap on 08:25 - Sep 29 with 2265 viewsMalintabuk

When did music become crap on 15:46 - Sep 28 by ted_hendrix

The best decade for music was the 60's.

*When did music become crap*

Fck knows there's been splodge music for ever, the denise of John Peel hasn't helped, turn your radio on right now and instead of hearing new records or any music at all, all you'll hear is an inane and unfunny GONK talking about his or her meaningless and excruciatingly dull life. Said GONK will then put a record on and then proceed to carry on talking about his or her meaningless and excruciatingly dull life whilst the record Is playing.

That Is my theory.

Wish I could have voted this up more than once
Like aot on here an ole f@rt and grew up with older brothers listening to the 60s music and then getting into Hawkwind and Alice Cooper.... and of course Deep Purple and Pink Floyd
I then became a dad and reverted to my dad of shouting up the stairs to my daughters of "turn that rubbish down" .... .
But I enjoy all music really... and that includes rap.... listen to Enimem "Stan" superb
But my cringe is radio. I drive home to a certain BBC radio show in the afternoon and the jock boils my pish.... he asks every guest if they are married about their wedding as he is getting married next year... I don't care about your marriage I had 3 daughters I had enough of theirs... and then every song that comes on we are regaled with tail of when he first me them way back and they shared a fu@king slush puppy or whatever in some long forgotten club....
When did music become crap on 09:16 - Sep 29 with 2215 viewsEsox_Lucius

When did music become crap on 08:25 - Sep 29 by Malintabuk

Wish I could have voted this up more than once
Like aot on here an ole f@rt and grew up with older brothers listening to the 60s music and then getting into Hawkwind and Alice Cooper.... and of course Deep Purple and Pink Floyd
I then became a dad and reverted to my dad of shouting up the stairs to my daughters of "turn that rubbish down" .... .
But I enjoy all music really... and that includes rap.... listen to Enimem "Stan" superb
But my cringe is radio. I drive home to a certain BBC radio show in the afternoon and the jock boils my pish.... he asks every guest if they are married about their wedding as he is getting married next year... I don't care about your marriage I had 3 daughters I had enough of theirs... and then every song that comes on we are regaled with tail of when he first me them way back and they shared a fu@king slush puppy or whatever in some long forgotten club....

What you need is a smart phone, an internet service, a free Spotify account and once that is in place, create a ton of playlists, or even one long playlist, which has all the music you have loved, and love, so you need never listen to another rank DJ again.
The benefit of lots of playlists is that Spotify will create playlists too, based on yours, so you get to hear songs that you had forgotten about or never heard. My latest was Coconut by Harry Nilsson, I had completely forgotten the song and who the artist was.
I agree about Stan, one of the greats.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2023 13:43]

The grass is always greener.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024